What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (3 Viewers)

I went and saw the new ghostbusters :thumbdown: it started strong and then fizzled out.

I'm looking forward to watching godzilla and kong team up together

Life (Max? can't remember): I've seen this before, but watched it again. Great cast (Jake Gyllenhaal, Rebecca Ferguson, Hiroyuki Sanada, Ryan Reynolds), bottle set on a space station. I think this movie's really good. The special effects of the lifeform and weightlessness (not the vomit comet from what I read) were excellent. The story was good, I liked the whole thing... including the ending.

Life (Max? can't remember): I've seen this before, but watched it again. Great cast (Jake Gyllenhaal, Rebecca Ferguson, Hiroyuki Sanada, Ryan Reynolds), bottle set on a space station. I think this movie's really good. The special effects of the lifeform and weightlessness (not the vomit comet from what I read) were excellent. The story was good, I liked the whole thing... including the ending.
Interesting. That’s the first good review I’ve ever read of that movie.

Big fan.

I thought it was entertaining enough but it mostly just made me want to re-watch Alien for the 87th time. Kinda like Underwater which I recently watched.

I thought it was entertaining enough but it mostly just made me want to re-watch Alien for the 87th time. Kinda like Underwater which I recently watched.
Related: Last week, my son thought he hadn't seen Aliens, so we started it. 5 minutes in, he realized he had seen it before, but we watched it anyway. Still great.

I watched Underwater today while folding laundry. I don't think I've ever seen a movie with Kristen Stewart before. It wasn't a bad movie, but I thought the monster effects were a little too blurry. The scene with the flare gun was pretty cool, though. This was essentially Alien with the Cloverfield monster underwater... I'm not mad I watched it.

You can skip the remake of The Wages of Fear on Netflix. Watch the 1953 original of the 1977 remake by William Friedkin instead.

The new one keeps the central premise of trucks transporting nitroglycerine but changes just about everything else. The desperate, doomed anti-heroes of the earlier version get updated to a conventional modern action movie crew. The new story is flabby and dumb and the action scenes pale in comparison to movies made 71 and 47 years ago.

Last edited:
Past Lives

Wow! I'm in tears. This is what is meant by "art".

The very definition of "sublime". As in:
a
: lofty, grand, or exalted in thought, expression, or manner
b
: of outstanding spiritual, intellectual, or moral worth
c
: tending to inspire awe usually because of elevated quality (as of beauty, nobility, or grandeur) or transcendent excellence

Celine Song deliberately had the two main characters walk from right to left at the very end of the movie. For her, a timeline is always represented as going from left to right, so when they're walking together, they're going into the past. When Hae Sung gets into the taxi, he goes into the past even further, and then as Nora walks back home left to right, she's going back to the future.

But then... Hae Sung is shown in the taxi moving left to right - i.e. towards a new future.

Phenomenal.

Last edited:
Past Lives

a
b
c
: tending to inspire awe usually because of elevated quality (as of beauty, nobility, or grandeur) or transcendent excellence

Celine Song deliberately had the two main characters walk from right to left at the very end of the movie. For her, a timeline is always represented as going from left to right, so when they're walking together, they're going into the past. When Hae Sung gets into the taxi, he goes into the past even further, and then as Nora walks back home left to right, she's going back to the future.

But then... Hae Sung is shown in the taxi moving left to right - i.e. towards a new future.

Phenomenal.
No recent movie has lingered in my mind more than Past Lives. Sublime is an excellent description. One of the all time great directorial debuts.

Past Lives

a
b
c

Phenomenal.
No recent movie has lingered in my mind more than Past Lives. Sublime is an excellent description. One of the all time great directorial debuts.
It reminded me of a smaller scope YiYi, straddling and using melodrama and viewer expectations but staying in much more profound territory throughout.

And one of the better ending scenes I can remember.

Past Lives

a
b
c

Phenomenal.
It reminded me of a smaller scope YiYi, straddling and using melodrama and viewer expectations but staying in much more profound territory throughout.

I'm a sucker for bittersweet endings. The end of Past Lives reminded me of the endings to two of my favorites - Cast Away and Vanilla Sky. Those too deal with regret and moving on.

Cast Away (2000)

Chuck Noland: I should've never gotten on that plane. I should've never gotten out of the car.

Vanilla Sky (2001)
David: I lost you when I got in that car. I'm sorry.
David: Do you remember what you told me once? That every passing minute is a another chance to turn it all around.

Sofía: I'll find you again.

David: I'll see you in another life... when we are both cats.

Past Lives

a
b
c

Phenomenal.

I'm a sucker for bittersweet endings. The end of Past Lives reminded me of the endings to two of my favorites - Cast Away and Vanilla Sky. Those too deal with regret and moving on.

Cast Away (2000)

Chuck Noland: I should've never gotten on that plane. I should've never gotten out of the car.

Vanilla Sky (2001)
David: Do you remember what you told me once? That every passing minute is a another chance to turn it all around.

I thought of the Third Man... Similar

Past Lives

a
b
c

Phenomenal.

Cast Away (2000)

Vanilla Sky (2001)

To me the most obvious comp for the whole movie is In the Mood for Love though that has a much greater emphasis on style.

Past Lives

a
b
c

Phenomenal.

Yeah I can see YiYi for sure. That’s such a perfect movie. A movie I can feel.

Past Lives

a
b
c

Phenomenal.

Cast Away (2000)

Vanilla Sky (2001)

To me the most obvious comp for the whole movie is In the Mood for Love though that has a much greater emphasis on style.
I was such a huge fan of Fallen Angels that I couldn't wait to see Mood for Love. So beautiful... But I honestly don't remember a single thing about it other than it was pretty.

Past Lives

a
b
c

Phenomenal.

Cast Away (2000)

Vanilla Sky (2001)

I was such a huge fan of Fallen Angels that I couldn't wait to see Mood for Love. So beautiful... But I honestly don't remember a single thing about it other than it was pretty.
You should give it another watch. It lives up to the hype IMO.

Possession

Far and away the craziest movie I've ever seen. And I watched Midsommar, Tenebrae , and Melancholia.

That's not a recommendation.
It's been sitting on my To Watch list for a long time, but for some reason I haven't started it.
I can't really even describe it. It borders on the style of Dario Argento with a dash of David Cronenberg gross out. That could certainly be someone's cup of tea. It's just not mine.

Isabelle Adjani sure is beautiful though.

Past Lives

a
b
c

Phenomenal.

I didn't catch this at all. Thanks for posting it.

Godzilla X Kong - Saw this last night. I love monster movies. But this one - eh. It definitely had some good parts. But just not enough. The whole point of a monster movie is to watch Kong or Godzilla smash some stuff. It's great fun. But here, an hour of the movie is spent playing a combination of Journey to the Center of the Earth mixed with Planet of the Apes. It really took away from SMASH.

Having said that, the few times where Kong or Godzilla were on the surface of the earth and battling - that was very good.

One other complaint - look, Godzilla is better than Kong. He just is. And this movie really focused on Kong. Godzilla was almost a side character.

So I think that's enough Godzilla and Kong in the same movie. Let's go back to them having separate ones. And being on the surface of the earth. SMASHING.

This is on my must watch list.

:excited:

I'm going to watch any of these I haven't already seen. I watched La Jetee already (28 minutes, it's on Youtube).

Others in the queue now:
Palm Springs
Donnie Darko
Run Lola Run
Happy Death Day
See You Yesterday
You didn't follow La Jetee up with 12 Monkeys?
I rewatched it sometime in the past 5 years. At the time, I heard about La Jetee, but couldn't find it.

I didn't love Donnie Darko. I might be dumb.

I found an explainer... I guess I get it now, but I don't think there was enough in the movie to tell us what happened unless we happen to get obsessed with the movie and watch it many more times to piece it together.

Last edited:

I found an explainer... I guess I get it now, but I don't think there was enough in the movie to tell us what happened unless we happen to get obsessed with the movie and watch it many more times to piece it together.
It's more of a mood movie. How angsty were you as a teen?

I might have to give Arrival another shot. I remember not being all that impressed with it the first time around
Had the same reaction to maybe a lesser degree.

I figured out why on 2nd viewijg- I went into the 1st with expectations of sci Fi occupation movie with action. Action was definitely the wrong expectation, and made the slow pacing and tone a bit of a slog. 2nd viewing went in without, and it's amazing.

Yeah I thought it was pretty overrated as well

Attempted the 2nd part of Rebel Moon (The Scargiver). Wow. Felt like a lesson on how not to make a movie. Dramatic slow mo shots of people... farming. A scene where the main characters sit around a table and each takes a turn talking about their upgringing so we get like half a dozen flashbacks in a row. Blatant exposition at every turn. Turned it off after about 50 mins. C'mon Zach, you're going backwards.

Attempted the 2nd part of Rebel Moon (The Scargiver). Wow. Felt like a lesson on how not to make a movie. Dramatic slow mo shots of people... farming. A scene where the main characters sit around a table and each takes a turn talking about their upgringing so we get like half a dozen flashbacks in a row. Blatant exposition at every turn. Turned it off after about 50 mins. C'mon Zach, you're going backwards.
Is he though? Or has this always been him?

Is he though? Or has this always been him?
I enjoy several of his earlier movies (Dawn of the Dead, 300, even Watchmen which got middling reviews), but yeah, I think these Rebel Moon things are a significant regression, even from his DC films which aren't great. Supposedly there are extended versions of both Rebel Moons coming out at some point. I feel like they should threaten to show these extended version to Hamas/Iran, Russia and China and we may immediately have world peace.

Users who are viewing this thread