What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Zach Charbonnet, SEA (1 Viewer)

Mostly is regards to the legend Michael.
Unfortunately for Michael, Carroll was the coach, not Shark Pool regulars.
Yes. I recall watching Michael when he did get a chance to play due to other RB being injured and he just never developed the vision to identify the right holes and take advantage of them.

A sparq score cant measure that.

Still seems to be some disconnect between their scouting department and the coach to me.

Just for the sake of the argument, let’s say Walker continues to be explosive but inefficient and Charbs proves to be efficient but inexplosive…

I’m starting to wonder if given those assumptions, we see more Walker early in games or when they are trailing and playing catch-up, and we see more series for Charbs when they are salting games away in the 2nd half. It stands to reason that if you have a lead and defense is expecting run, it’s a better scenario for a runner that doesn’t get stuffed so frequently. And vice versa. The counter to that though is most assume Charb to be the better receiver so you probably want him out there more in hurry up situations.

Just a thought. Bottom line right now, I think they like both players plenty and both will have value this year. Walker should at least start the year as the lead back. I just lean Charb at their respective prices.

Never really paid much attention to Charbonnet once he couldn't beat out Blake Corum, Hassan Haskins and Chris Evans at Michigan.
Walker couldn't beat out Cade Carney & Christian Beale at Wake Forrest.
Walker traded up. Charbonnet traded down.
I think you're trying to make the data fit your conclusion.

I have no opinion on either Walker or Charbonnet yet. They both seem like they can play at this level, though. Walker should probably be the 1a in this backfield but I would temper any expectations for a 70:30 share or even 60:40. Somewhere in the 55:45-58:42 range seems more realistic.
That's fine n dandy but it's not how Pete has run the Seahawks up to this point.
I wouldn't be confident that changes but everyone has an opinion.
That's true, and if Charbonnet turns out to be Forsett/Washington/Turbine/Michael etc it will remain true.

But we haven't had many opportunities to see a Pete Carroll NFL offense with two good RBs.

Penny, unquestionably a very good runner when available, was constantly in and out of the lineup. We have a four game sample when Walker was coming off...was it a shoulder?

Carson & Marshawn didn't overlap. Carson & Penny had maybe 6 consecutive games in 2019 but iirc there were still a bunch of questions, from within Seattle about Penny at that point.

So, yeah maybe even if both Walker & Charbonnet are good RBs Walker will still see his 67% share. Personally, if it turns out Charbonnet is a good RB I would bet the under, by a lot.

Right now, however Walker should be viewed as the unquestioned #1 RB in Seattle.

Just for the sake of the argument, let’s say Walker continues to be explosive but inefficient and Charbs proves to be efficient but inexplosive…

I’m starting to wonder if given those assumptions, we see more Walker early in games or when they are trailing and playing catch-up, and we see more series for Charbs when they are salting games away in the 2nd half. It stands to reason that if you have a lead and defense is expecting run, it’s a better scenario for a runner that doesn’t get stuffed so frequently. And vice versa. The counter to that though is most assume Charb to be the better receiver so you probably want him out there more in hurry up situations.

Just a thought. Bottom line right now, I think they like both players plenty and both will have value this year. Walker should at least start the year as the lead back. I just lean Charb at their respective prices.

This is why I brought up weeks ago the fact Charbs has not done it yet in the NFL. Some were on here were saying, factually, that Charbs IS the better short yard back.
You simply cannot say that until he proves it. Walker has shown what he can do at the NFL level.

How the Charbers feeling?
I spent a 10th on the guy in redraft but I’m considering a drop because I expected some immediate returns in the form of a flex starter as I waited for his role to increase. If game one is any indication, Charbonnet is strictly a premium handcuff and probably has no value beyond that this season. I can sustain one or two rb handcuffs on my bench but I need guys I can plug in sometimes at flex as well, and he’s likely not going to be that for me this year.

If game one is any indication
It's not like Walker did anything either - Seattle had an awful offensive day. I don't know we can read much into one week - but with that said in redraft sometimes you have to cut bait quickly so you don't miss the hot waiver adds so I can't blame you.
Rest assured that the moment I drop Charbonnet, Petey Sunshine will have a complete about face with his RB personnel usage strategy and feature him, or Walker will get hurt in practice the next day. You’re welcome, Charbonnet owners.

Serious post: I’ll bet Charbonnet lives up to his redraft ADP, but not until the second half of the season. Pete clearly doesn’t use his high draft capital rookie RBs like Gibbs or Bijan are being used this year.

It's not like Walker did anything either - Seattle had an awful offensive day. I don't know we can read much into one week - but with that said in redraft sometimes you have to cut bait quickly so you don't miss the hot waiver adds so I can't blame you.
Rest assured that the moment I drop Charbonnet, Petey Sunshine will have a complete about face with his RB personnel usage strategy and feature him, or Walker will get hurt in practice the next day. You’re welcome, Charbonnet owners.

Serious post: I’ll bet Charbonnet lives up to his redraft ADP, but not until the second half of the season. Pete clearly doesn’t use his high draft capital rookie RBs like Gibbs or Bijan are being used this year.
Obviously everything is based on roster size, but i sure as hell wouldn't drop him for the week 1 waiver darling. Walker is the guy but has also had injury issues. Walker goes down Charbs is a rock solid rb2 with massive upside. That's worth more in most cases then picking up the yearly Kevin Ogletree.

I have to be honest here, I bought into the hype but I'm just not seeing it. Charbonnet has looked like a slow plodder in very limited pre-season/regular season action, not the explosive power back I anticipated when I drafted him everywhere I could. Maybe it's a matter of getting up to game speed, but elite running backs don't usually have a period where they need to ramp up in the NFL. Color me disappointed, and although it's far too early to give up on the guy, I'm on the wrong end of the confidence spectrum... Kenneth Walker owners might be laughing at the end of this season.

Early results are disturbing
But the Seahawks lost 30-13...maybe Seattle will want to see what they have in ZC after a month or two rolls by.
Rest Walker for '24 since this season is a wash
Gotta cling to something

Let's see do I want the guy made out of glass or the exciting rookie. Hmmm tough one fellas.

Full disclosure, I own ZC in all of my leagues. I'm not about to turn into a Charbonnet apologist though. I see much more game scripts like this I'll drop him. I play in redraft or keeper, not dynasty although in dynasty ZC could easily become a roster clogger for 3 years.

Pete plays who performs. Position, draft capital, trade capital, it's all irrelevant in his eyes. If you give his team the best chance of winning, you're playing. Pete has proven this over and over again. It's part of what makes him such a great coach that's loved by his team. If Charbonnet can't stay on the field in front of DeeJay Dallas, it's a problem.

It's also not really a fair comparison of Seattle's running back draft picks (2nd round RBs over the last 10 years with Penny taken late first) to guys taken in the top 15, especially in 2023 with how the NFL has evolved. Consider this, Bijan may have gone even higher in a draft 5-10 years ago, likely a top 5 guy. He is ELITE by every metric available and showed out in game 1. Almost the same can be said about Gibbs although his size may have kept him out of the top 10 regardless of era.

Charbonnet was the 3rd RB taken, late 2nd round, in a draft devoid of any elite talent outside of the top 2. That's not to say no other RB in this class will help their teams, they will, some may even be relevant for a time. Long story short, I'm very disappointed in watching Charbonnet play against 1st string defense. I hope I'm wrong, and overreacting, but I just haven't seen "it" whatever "it" may be.

Early results are disturbing
But the Seahawks lost 30-13...maybe Seattle will want to see what they have in ZC after a month or two rolls by.
Rest Walker for '24 since this season is a wash
Gotta cling to something
Barring injury or injury concern, players aren't "saved" for future seasons. Bottom line, Kenneth Walker looked leaps and bounds better than either of his backups and every time he took a breather (forced or otherwise), Seattle's drives stalled. It's clear KWIII needs to be their bell cow back. Ride him until he breaks. It's one game, don't panic, but don't ignore what you see either.

Wonder if I am still blocked by octopus?

Either way, I agree....Walker didn't do much. But, even though he didn't do much AND they were behind, he was still out there.

You would think Charbs would have got some playing time IF Pete thought he was better.....especially playing from behind and having to throw.

64 yards on 12 carries shouldn't be discounted. Walker was effective as a runner, not as a receiver though. The Seahawks got taken out of their game plan

I think we can read something into the splits. 17-3 opportunity split doesn't bode well for Charbonnet when Seattle plays close games or are trailing.

What are we, goldfish? These are running backs. Running backs tend to get hurt. There’s going to be opportunities for both this season. Bigger problem is whether the Seahawks is going to be a viable offense. Most teams looked like hot garbage though so it’s not much different than most are dealing with this year.

I keep saying this but the idea of filling your starting roster spots at RB is a for the most part a weekly proposition. No matter how barren the WW looks right now, squint hard, because guys will emerge and have their weeks. There are a few guys that are both really good and will also survive both injury and competition all year. Good luck figuring out who they are. Charbonnet will get his chances at some point almost certainly. And Walker will definitely have his.

Last edited:
What are we, goldfish? These are running backs. Running backs tend to get hurt. There’s going to be opportunities for both this season. Bigger problem is whether the Seahawks is going to be a viable offense. Most teams looked like hot garbage though so it’s not much different than most are dealing with this year.

I keep saying this but the idea of filling your starting roster spots at RB is a for the most part a weekly proposition. No matter how barren the WW looks right now, squint hard, because guys will emerge and have their weeks. There are a few guys that are both really good and survive both injury and competition all year. Good luck figuring out who they are. Charbonnet will get his chances at some point almost certainly. And Walker will definitely have his.
The question is whether or not Charbonnet would produce, or even be the lead back if Ken Walker were abducted by aliens tomorrow. I just don't see it, not yet. Maybe he'll get up to speed but good running backs tend to jump off the screen for me from carry #1. Charbonnet looks slow and upright. Not a great combo to be a successful NFL RB. Maybe I'm wrong, heck, I hope I'm wrong. I own this guy everywhere.

I keep saying this but the idea of filling your starting roster spots at RB is a for the most part a weekly proposition. No matter how barren the WW looks right now, squint hard, because guys will emerge and have their weeks. There are a few guys that are both really good and survive both injury and competition all year. Good luck figuring out who they are. Charbonnet will get his chances at some point almost certainly. And Walker will definitely have his.
The question is whether or not Charbonnet would produce, or even be the lead back if Ken Walker were abducted by aliens tomorrow. I just don't see it, not yet. Maybe he'll get up to speed but good running backs tend to jump off the screen for me from carry #1. Charbonnet looks slow and upright. Not a great combo to be a successful NFL RB. Maybe I'm wrong, heck, I hope I'm wrong. I own this guy everywhere.

I cannot stress enough how little I think “being good” is outside of a few players. He doesn’t suck. He’s NFL caliber. Clearing the “doesn’t suck” bar + an opportunity is enough to help for fantasy and applies to like 86% of the players at that position. RB is a turnstile.

I’m speaking in generalities and of course there are degrees to the results, but week 1 does not matter to me in the slightest for that position.

All we gotta do is make the playoffs and have a couple useful options for RB come weeks 15-17, ideally to pair with one of the REAL ONES, and it’s plenty to win leagues with as long as the rest of our roster is strong. It’s near impossible to know who will survive to that point, or who will have good matchups or game script. Just give me options to choose from on my squad and I’m good.

I cannot stress enough how little I think “being good” is outside of a few players. He doesn’t suck. He’s NFL caliber. Clearing the “doesn’t suck” bar + an opportunity is enough to help for fantasy and applies to like 86% of the players at that position. RB is a turnstile.

I’m speaking in generalities and of course there are degrees to the results, but week 1 does not matter to me in the slightest for that position.

All we gotta do is make the playoffs and have a couple useful options for RB come weeks 15-17, ideally to pair with one of the REAL ONES, and it’s plenty to win leagues with as long as the rest of our roster is strong. It’s near impossible to know who will survive to that point, or who will have good matchups or game script. Just give me options to choose from on my squad and I’m good.
Week 1, week 10, week 17, I really don't care. I know what I saw, and what I saw was a slow upright runner that will never get through NFL holes playing that way. Is it fixable? Maybe? Is it mental? Maybe? It's week 1 you're right, but I can't ignore what I saw either. TBH as a Charb/Walker owner in a lot of leagues, I'm more worried about what I saw with Geno than anything else. If he didn't play poorly down the stretch last season, I might right it off as one bad game but it's starting to look like last season may have been an anomaly and if they can't throw, they can't run, and they certainly can't win. I'm not dropping Charbonnet at this point, I spent too much to acquire him, but I'm starting to think the Seahawks made a colossal mistake drafting him in round 2.

I think two camps can speak openly and honestly about what we've seen to date. Those who own both Walker/Charb, or those who own neither. It's readily apparently who owns one or the other...

I keep saying this but the idea of filling your starting roster spots at RB is a for the most part a weekly proposition. No matter how barren the WW looks right now, squint hard, because guys will emerge and have their weeks. There are a few guys that are both really good and will also survive both injury and competition all year. Good luck figuring out who they are. Charbonnet will get his chances at some point almost certainly. And Walker will definitely have his.
I think the question was who would produce and what the split would look like if both were healthy.
Early returns look like it will heavily lean to the better RB - K9. And that the only way Charbers get what they want is through injury. Which really was the most likely all along, but clearly not to many here.

I think the question was who would produce and what the split would look like if both were healthy.
Early returns look like it will heavily lean to the better RB - K9. And that the only way Charbers get what they want is through injury. Which really was the most likely all along, but clearly not to many here.

I’m not a Charber. Nor a Walker-er. I’m just a guy looking at two RBs and considering how their roles will develop. And to me, that’s the key word…develop. There’s a lot of different ways things can go and I don’t think Pete knows himself yet. I do know you don’t spend a 2nd on a guy that you’re never going to try giving a role to. So what’s the role? No idea. Things need to run their course. I would suspect that getting blasted at home to a team everyone thought was in the mix for a top 5 pick is not a great piece of evidence for doing the same things you did in that game moving forward. Add everything I said about RBs in general to the pile and I arrive at a wait and see conclusion, but think both guys are going to get used. How much and when? No one can possibly know yet.

And if that sounds like a cop out, great, because that’s how I look at the vast majority of backfields. Like the Eagles, for example.

The interesting thing I think people forget with rookie RB’s, particularly Day 2 ones is that they seem to get eased into the lineup unless there is simply nothing in the cupboard (i.e Pierce last year).

Walker looked great yesterday, but Carroll since Beast Mode likes to mix and match and I suspect he’ll get there soon enough.

I think two camps can speak openly and honestly about what we've seen to date. Those who own both Walker/Charb, or those who own neither. It's readily apparently who owns one or the other..

Well, you’ve seen 3 carries. Did you feel that way about his college tape? If so, why’d you draft him? I’m doing nothing but speaking openly and honestly about it. Shrug.

I have one share of ZC and zero KW across all my numerous leagues, so I have very little skin in this game. If your take is the consensus though, I’d happily trade for him at a discount. He went in the 2nd in my dynasty leagues. I’d give a 3rd in a heartbeat but I doubt anyone would take it.

I think two camps can speak openly and honestly about what we've seen to date. Those who own both Walker/Charb, or those who own neither. It's readily apparently who owns one or the other..

Well, you’ve seen 3 carries. Did you feel that way about his college tape? If so, why’d you draft him? I’m doing nothing but speaking openly and honestly about it. Shrug.

I have one share of ZC and zero KW across all my numerous leagues, so I have very little skin in this game. If your take is the consensus though, I’d happily trade for him at a discount. He went in the 2nd in my dynasty leagues. I’d give a 3rd in a heartbeat but I doubt anyone would take it.
A 3rd rounder? The 3 carries matter when looking at the bigger picture. The fact you'd only give a 3rd for a guy that was a 1st round pick a few months ago says it all. You don't believe, either.

I wouldn't trade him yet, but where there's smoke, there's usually fire. An elite or even above average talent would be playing immediately over a guy like DeeJay Dallas. His skillset was supposed to get him 3rd down duties and some early down work, at the least. He was playing 3rd in the rotation and looked worse than most NFL backups. It matters.

A 3rd rounder? The 3 carries matter when looking at the bigger picture. The fact you'd only give a 3rd for a guy that was a 1st round pick a few months ago says it all. You don't believe, either.

I wouldn't trade him yet, but where there's smoke, there's usually fire. An elite or even above average talent would be playing immediately over a guy like DeeJay Dallas. His skillset was supposed to get him 3rd down duties and some early down work, at the least. He was playing 3rd in the rotation and looked worse than most NFL backups. It matters.

No, I don’t believe. I don’t much believe in any RB. That’s the point I’ve been making and it applies to Walker just as much as Charbonnet. Give me the way cheaper one.

And I just said he was a 2nd rounder in my leagues. You can have your thoughts, that’s fine. For all the reasons already laid out, reasons that also probably went unread, I don’t trade for RBs early in the season in dynasty unless they are super cheap. Will make bolder RB moves midseason where it makes sense once the picture is more clear and less can go wrong…aka near the deadline closer to the playoffs.

I don’t have anything else to add other than drafting a player and making a different determination about them after 3 carries is a pretty awful way to run a dynasty team.

I have no idea how this season will play out.

But regarding the bolded, in Week 3 last year, in a highly competitive game, do you know who got 3 carries in a game where DeeJay Dallas also got 3 carries?

Maybe Charbs just sucks, but these things take time to develop. Last year, we were into the month of October before Walker was showing why he is special.

I have no idea how this season will play out.

But regarding the bolded, in Week 3 last year, in a highly competitive game, do you know who got 3 carries in a game where DeeJay Dallas also got 3 carries?

Maybe Charbs just sucks, but these things take time to develop. Last year, we were into the month of October before Walker was showing why he is special.
You make a good point, but in limited action last season Walker looked juiced. It says a lot that he blew up the thought of a real timeshare after getting the full time role. He also started the season off hurt after being expected to split to open, so there's a big difference. Charb just looks stuck in mud in the NFL. Maybe that's due to some unknown factor and he'll get up to speed. I hope that's it. I own both. Walker because what I saw him do in the draft. Charbonnet because of what I saw in college as well as his combine. FWIW, Walker was a much better college RB as well.

No, I don’t believe. I don’t much believe in any RB. That’s the point I’ve been making and it applies to Walker just as much as Charbonnet. Give me the way cheaper one.

And I just said he was a 2nd rounder in my leagues. You can have your thoughts, that’s fine. For all the reasons already laid out, reasons that also probably went unread, I don’t trade for RBs early in the season in dynasty unless they are super cheap. Will make bolder RB moves midseason where it makes sense once the picture is more clear and less can go wrong…aka near the deadline closer to the playoffs.

I don’t have anything else to add other than drafting a player and making a different determination about them after 3 carries is a pretty awful way to run a dynasty team.
Having an opinion based on what I've seen (not just the 3 carries), and reacting to that opinion too early are two different things. I'm not ready to give up but I'm much less hopeful.

Having an opinion based on what I've seen (not just the 3 carries), and reacting to that opinion too early are two different things. I'm not ready to give up but I'm much less hopeful.

Ok so again, why’d you draft him then? I’m not buying that was your opinion of him prior and that 3 carries are not carrying the water here. Anyway, I’m just trying to help. Good luck.

Walker did A LOT when you compare them side by side. KW looked good, too.

Walker is the better talent, but no one should take victory laps after one game.

I’m not a Charber. Nor a Walker-er. I’m just a guy looking at two RBs and considering how their roles will develop. And to me, that’s the key word…develop. There’s a lot of different ways things can go and I don’t think Pete knows himself yet. I do know you don’t spend a 2nd on a guy that you’re never going to try giving a role to. So what’s the role? No idea. Things need to run their course. I would suspect that getting blasted at home to a team everyone thought was in the mix for a top 5 pick is not a great piece of evidence for doing the same things you did in that game moving forward. Add everything I said about RBs in general to the pile and I arrive at a wait and see conclusion, but think both guys are going to get used. How much and when? No one can possibly know yet.

And if that sounds like a cop out, great, because that’s how I look at the vast majority of backfields. Like the Eagles, for example.
I believe Walker is more talented and that Pete in Seahwaks tenure has never been a real rbbc guy. In fact he has only given 10 or more carries to 2 rbs like 3 times (eta in the same game) or something silly.
And those 2 things are why I didn't get why the Charbers were thinking 60/40 or close to 50/50 split. Just never made sense.
Injury could strike and make him a solid pick just like any back up runner. I just think the people who thought pete would play a lesser RB because of what the GM did were way off base. And continue to believe that. 1 game in looks right.
If I'm wrong the sun will still come up tomorrow but I won't tiptoe around what I think is obvious in fear of a hot take being wrong like most of this board. Zfg

I believe Walker is more talented and that Pete in Seahwaks tenure has never been a real rbbc guy. In fact he has only given 10 or more carries to 2 rbs like 3 times (eta in the same game) or something silly.
And those 2 things are why I didn't get why the Charbers were thinking 60/40 or close to 50/50 split. Just never made sense.
Injury could strike and make him a solid pick just like any back up runner. I just think the people who thought pete would play a lesser RB because of what the GM did were way off base. And continue to believe that. 1 game in looks right.
If I'm wrong the sun will still come up tomorrow but I won't tiptoe around what I think is obvious in fear of a hot take being wrong like most of this board. Zfg

That’s all fine, no issue with these player takes. We all have them and yours are within reason, nothing crazy.

Mine is a roster construction take. I 100% build my dynasty teams around what I do at WR and for redraft that drops to, idk, 75% to put a number on it. Point is I don’t sweat RB in dynasty at all until the train is down the track a bit and in redraft it’s a different calculation but same trend. And I’m willing to admit the approach could be wrong on the redraft, but dynasty absolutely convinced it’s the only way to operate if you want sustained success- which are what the results I’ve experienced have seemed to confirm. With WRs you’re playing poker, which is winnable. With RBs you’re playing roulette. WRs are easier to figure out in scouting, get injured less, have much longer shelf lives of peak performance, and are way less volatile from year to year…but also have more outs. You have to be on the field to score points and there’s a whole more of them on the field than RBs. Generally it’s 3 vs 1. Those are way better odds.

So Walker who yes, certainly looks way more explosive and “better” than ZC at this stage has way too many strikes against him for me to try to acquire unless I was in position to rookie draft him last year. One, he’s a RB. Two, he’s very expensive to acquire. Three, he has holes in his game, in that he’s not much of a receiver, and is inefficient on a carry to carry basis. Four, his team just drafted another RB in the 2nd round. Five, the Seahawks look at analytics. Six, that new RB seems to in theory offer to fill some gaps that Walker has in his game.

On the flip side, ZC has working in his favor the same things I just mentioned. The one spot I got him was a startup in the 11th round, which is pretty cheap. There were several rookie WRs on the board still that I like also but already had a lot of exposure to them and wanted to go a different route. That route is to wait for his opportunity to come, hope for the value pop, and trade him for some kind of profit. He’s not a trade target for me until his value comes down. Walker isn’t until his value comes WAY down.

I only got roped into this thread because of ridiculously bad logic that someone was making as to why Walker is the guy. Even if proven correct, the logic behind it was laughably silly. I do not much care about either player. So this will be my last post on the subject for awhile, I’ve made my points and I’m really just handing out a dynasty build script that has worked quite well, but am not really concerned about it because nobody ever listens anyway lol. Cheers.

Last edited:
The Payne (Walker) vs Da Franchise (Charbs) battle continuessssssss
Not much of a battle.
Can we all pump the breaks a bit here. Are we really claiming victory after one game. Lmao.
Yes, but obviously things could change. That's the NFL.

Let's review other hotly contested backfield "battles":

Rams was 50-50 at best.
In Chicago we are already seeing Johnson heavily involved and maybe taking over
Jacksonville -Tank got a score
Falcons - possibly a 50-50
Washington - More Robinson than Gibson
Pitt - 50-50

In Seattle it wasn't even close. After one game it seems pretty clear, when healthy, Walker is the guy. Sorry.

I agree, which raises the obvious question. Why the hell did the Seahawks take him in round 2 when they have so many holes on defense?

Since I hate them, I'm glad they grabbed both Charbonnet and JSN. While I like JSN, they had far greater needs

I agree, which raises the obvious question. Why the hell did the Seahawks take him in round 2 when they have so many holes on defense?

Since I hate them, I'm glad they grabbed both Charbonnet and JSN. While I like JSN, they had far greater needs
Lot of GMs are married to their board no matter what position/depth. Both picks from Seattle were far from need but as we've seen injuries happen. So better to have good players ready to contribute if needed than bad players who are lousy no matter what.

I personally think Charbs will show his worth - but its gonna take time and circumstance

Users who are viewing this thread