What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Tony Pollard, TEN (1 Viewer)

Titans believe Tony Pollard, Tyjae Spears can replace Derrick Henry's production

Excerpts:

Pollard's one-year stint as the workhorse in Dallas didn't pay off, but he still has the skill set to work between the tackles. Both he and Spears own dynamic ability in the passing game and could do damage as check-down options for Will Levis.

Fantasy football managers might not like to hear Jordan's comments that Spears and Pollard can be used interchangeably, splitting carries and reps. Still, it will make the Titans' offense more diverse and unpredictable under Callahan.

The OL is not as bad as many think but it will hinge a bit on Latham a rookie Left Tackle
Skoronski had a solid 1st year cut short a bit with some injuries but Latham-Skoronski-Cushenberry is your Left side working into the Center where they let Brewer go to Miami and grabbed Cush from Denver, they ranked similar to PFF last season.

Pollard can easily find 250 touches in this offense over 17 games as long as he stays healthy
RB 24 off the board, scrams value IMHO
MoP says take the value.
Grabbed Pollard and Ekeler the other day in the 6th-7th-8th round range on the Sleeper App, they were my RB3 and RB4, both would be potential Flex-1 Flex-2 choices
I fail to see the down side here. Spears is a CoP back and could still see a lot of touches teaming up with Pollard.
Add in all the skill positions and talent they have brought in and drafted, this offense will be greatly improved this season

Spears is the better play here .. He’s almost like younger Pollard with less mileage on his body. I see Spears starting by mid season.
Pollard is 27, he's not that old
3 yrs/$24M...if they were going to start Spears, they could have done this much cheaper and just drafted another RB in the 4th or 5th round to go behind Spears.
It doesn't quite add up is all I'm trying to say.
I wouldn't short change Pollard over last season, he's proven he is capable of being a Top 20 RB in FF, even higher some years.
But I like the upside potential you see in Spears

Last edited:
The OL is not as bad as many think but it will hinge a bit on Latham a rookie Left Tackle
Skoronski had a solid 1st year cut short a bit with some injuries but Latham-Skoronski-Cushenberry is your Left side working into the Center where they let Brewer go to Miami and grabbed Cush from Denver, they ranked similar to PFF last season.

Pollard can easily find 250 touches in this offense over 17 games as long as he stays healthy
RB 24 off the board, scrams value IMHO
MoP says take the value.
Grabbed Pollard and Ekeler the other day in the 6th-7th-8th round range on the Sleeper App, they were my RB3 and RB4, both would be potential Flex-1 Flex-2 choices
I fail to see the down side here. Spears is a CoP back and could still see a lot of touches teaming up with Pollard.
Add in all the skill positions and talent they have brought in and drafted, this offense will be greatly improved this season
This a legit good OL in my opinion. Top-12 for sure, with upside if Latham hits. Its better than what he'd have had he stayed in Dallas.

I do think the Titans offense is going to be a lot different than it has been in years past with a new staff and no Henry. This is gonna be a pass 1st team in my eyes, so 250 touches is probably unrealistic unless Spears is either hurt, or Pollard is back to his 2022 efficiency. I don't know that Pollard/Spears combine for 400 touches.

I do like Pollard a lot if he's there in round 7. There is a great chance last year was more about his foot injury than anything else. PFF did have him as their #1 RB in rush grade from week 11 on, even though it didn't show up in his fantasy numbers. I thought he should have had a bigger market than he did, as a Bears fan, I'd have preferred Pollard to Swift and they got the same deal.

Spears is the better play here .. He’s almost like younger Pollard with less mileage on his body. I see Spears starting by mid season.
I like Spears more myself but I also am buying what the Titans are selling and don't think it's a "starter" type of situation so much as an interchangeable one but I think Spears will do more with his touches.

Titans believe Tony Pollard, Tyjae Spears can replace Derrick Henry's production

Excerpts:

Pollard's one-year stint as the workhorse in Dallas didn't pay off, but he still has the skill set to work between the tackles. Both he and Spears own dynamic ability in the passing game and could do damage as check-down options for Will Levis.

Fantasy football managers might not like to hear Jordan's comments that Spears and Pollard can be used interchangeably, splitting carries and reps. Still, it will make the Titans' offense more diverse and unpredictable under Callahan.
I am enthused by Callahan and the new staff. One gripe I have is ya need a pile mover and the game isn't always pretty.
He sounds like a lot of coaches that have overstated "usefulness" of scatbacks only to have to use a hard nosed runner.
It's a different time, different day...I'm not buying it.
I expected to be past Chestnut now. A free agent or adored drafted back would have me pushing him to the rearview. I'm still stuck on him though and I don't feel comfy with it.

A Brian Westbrook emulation would be my ceiling for the Sharpe and Pollard combo. Brian was tough as nails and smooth between the tackles. I'll give ya that Pollard has some highlights that could resemble Westbrook but I watch Dallas often and that's not his norm at all.

Gotta add- I've seen a lot of Cincy games where I didn't much feel like they wanted to use Mixon. It's a requirement to keep Ds honest and helps counter defensive subs...it felt less important. Callahan got the WRs he wanted so I don't see why the backs will get all this usage that you'd want a share. ADP will dictate this, no doubt, but right now I'm thinking Levis and the WRs maybe Chestnut with my last pick. I'm not sold at all

The RBs could not get open yesterday against an aggressive D. In shorts, it's June. Frustrating day for Spears and Pollard against a new D. Ravens Eagles style D. Switching up LB or DB coming in to be all over the screen.

Lot of monkey in middle, between man n ball type coaching. The other backs did significantly better than Spears and Pollard.

No way that stays true as they're clearly better at this but they can't be lackadaisical. A screen is a gimme pass IF you're aware of the D and in the right spot otherwise it can be brutally bad.

I'm glad about this, workout those kinks, zero concern.

Already a sign they miss Henry as the O had to run w subs because of aggressive D and starters weren't cutting it. Some free agent or Chestnut will have a role- said it few times and quite apparent yesterday.

It's not just "the way to beat the Ravens is have Derrick Henry" as people say. Chubb had days against them as did others.

To reiterate though- there's gotta be a counter to an aggressive D- this could also make the staff script plays for Spears and Pollard.

Just June, needed to happen, response surely coming...so what, let's see the response

The RBs could not get open yesterday against an aggressive D. In shorts, it's June. Frustrating day for Spears and Pollard against a new D. Ravens Eagles style D. Switching up LB or DB coming in to be all over the screen.

Lot of monkey in middle, between man n ball type coaching. The other backs did significantly better than Spears and Pollard.

No way that stays true as they're clearly better at this but they can't be lackadaisical. A screen is a gimme pass IF you're aware of the D and in the right spot otherwise it can be brutally bad.

Already a sign they miss Henry as the O had to run w subs because of aggressive D and starters weren't cutting it. Some free agent or Chestnut will have a role- said it few times and quite apparent yesterday.

It's not just "the way to beat the Ravens is have Derrick Henry" as people say. Chubb had days against them as did others.

To reiterate though- there's gotta be a counter to an aggressive D- this could also make the staff script plays for Spears and Pollard.

Just June, needed to happen, response surely coming...so what, let's see the response
Waldman fave Dillon Johnson not mentioned here- any feedback on him? 6'-0", 217#

If it's OK to provide a quote from the RSP (after giving the Trey Sermon archetype soft spot-as-a self-awareness)..

"Johnson plays fast. He reads leverage well, anticipates penetrating defenders, manages situational football well as a runner, and attacks downhill aggressively. He also has the power, contact balance and footwork of a starter."

Waldman fave Dillon Johnson not mentioned here- any feedback on him? 6'-0", 217#

If it's OK to provide a quote from the RSP (after giving the Trey Sermon archetype soft spot-as-a self-awareness)..

"Johnson plays fast. He reads leverage well, anticipates penetrating defenders, manages situational football well as a runner, and attacks downhill aggressively. He also has the power, contact balance and footwork of a starter."
Not really as of yet.
The Titans probably have a spot for a hard nosed runner but we probably need pads to evaluate.
Chestnut is definitely tops and the favorite. He and Haskins are the experienced ones but that's like a couple years practice time. Neither has played much in games.
It's a pretty common view to have Chestnut and Johnson making the team. They're both a similar vibe of UDFA but curiously favorable predraft notes and look the part.

I have no interest in Pollard at all. If he couldn't produce in Dallas, in that offense, I don't see him doing more with the Titans.
Not to mention he has a back behind him who has the potential to outproduce him.
Couldn't produce is a pretty big misrepresentation of Pollard. He was RB18 and RB8 the last 2 seasons. He had a career 5.13 YPC before last season, the season in which he was coming off a major injury.

Pollard is one of the most underrated RBs in the NFL in my eyes. People are grossly overreacting to 1 down season, and just pretending the explosive player from before is gone forever. As a Bears fan, I'm still very upset they went for Swift instead of Pollard. I greatly prefer Pollard.

I like Tyjae Spears, but I think Pollard is gonna be the starter, and I think be at least a low-end RB2. Its also arguable the Titans have a better OL than the 2023 Cowboys. I think Dak Prescott has really masked how little talent is on the Cowboys offense.

My take is at this time the Titans don't view either as ahead of the other and when they said they are interchangeable they were being forthright. As things progress it's possible one just moves ahead of the other and takes a higher share but feel like their plan right now is a true split. Right now I'm finding it hard to predict which one of them would be the one to pull away, if one should do that, so for now I am looking at this as a 50/50 backfield. FWIW, and I'll mention this and at the same time say the info is probably pointless since it's a whole new staff, but last season Spears played the same exact amount of snaps as Henry. That's just interesting to me, hard do do trying.

Their key, especially if it's like a 50/50 split, is how much are they used in the passing game, which is typically the easiest way to get two decent to high end starting RB's from the same team. My thought right now is it's going to be heavy passing game involvement. Callahan's never really ran his own show so hard to say for sure but that they decided to sign a RB who does a lot of similar things as Spears, both space backs to a degree, is kind of a tell to me. Especially since neither of the RB's seems overly suited to be relied on heavily to just carry the ball, feels like their best use in in the 10-12 carry max. Titans will be passing a lot in general, could be top 5 and a total makeover of the Henry ground and pound days, and I could see both of these RB's ending up in the top 20 in PPG scoring.

People are grossly overreacting to 1 down season
people always do this. its all about what have you done for me lately.

that said, hes in a different offense so there is a little more risk as the team could use him differently than Dallas did and that could be good or bad.

for me, this just means you need to pay close attention to the camp reports to see where he is at.

I'm actually pretty high on Pollard this year, and I had him last year. Couple of points to note:
  • Spears will never be the guy simply because of his knee...full thickness cartilage loss, arthritis and no ACL. This was reported by Rapaport in the aftermath of last years draft. So in a sense, it's ticking time bomb.
  • Pollard's performance burned ALOT of owners last year. His 'flat' season was very visible even to those who didn't own him so it's unlikely he catches fire as a pre-season darling.
  • Alot of the 2023 disappointment came from 6 TD's. Yes, when Rico Dowdle has 4...that will irk owners who spent late 1st/early 2nd round captial
  • He's not even close to being worn down NFL workload wise.
  • They just spent the 11th and 7th overall picks on the left side of the OL, the most recent being seen as an elite run-blocker from the jump. Adding to that is Bill Callahan to coach that unit.
  • While they may say - 'hey, we've got some nice weapons at WR'...32 year old DeAndre, Calvin Ridley and Tyler Boyd seems awfully mid.
  • I like Levis...and I think TEN does too, but I can't see a pass-centric offense.

Spears will never be the guy simply because of his knee...full thickness cartilage loss, arthritis and no ACL. This was reported by Rapaport in the aftermath of last years draft. So in a sense, it's ticking time bomb.
OMG, if only the Titans had known that when they spent a third round pick on him.

Hines Ward played his entire career in the same boat as Spears. Some people are just built different and Spears is one of them. When his develops arthritis in ~15 years, it won't be overly relevant to his NFL career.

Spears will never be the guy simply because of his knee...full thickness cartilage loss, arthritis and no ACL. This was reported by Rapaport in the aftermath of last years draft. So in a sense, it's ticking time bomb.
OMG, if only the Titans had known that when they spent a third round pick on him.

Hines Ward played his entire career in the same boat as Spears. Some people are just built different and Spears is one of them. When his develops arthritis in ~15 years, it won't be overly relevant to his NFL career.
There was a Panthers CB that did too and...it's not so uncommon.
The time bomb stuff is an exaggeration to some regard. I admit I didn't like it but there is an absurdly high percent of RBs that tear their ACL and I'm not quite sure how to reflect on that.
So suppose he's one of the many and tears his other knee ligaments. When they do surgery, is he better off if they add an ACL?

It's really a case of- guy looks fine. It just always comes back to it. He's as explosive as anyone in the NFL; makes ya say woah just the same as guys with ACLs that burst with speed. His cuts and moves are sometimes slick and on a dime and every expression you could say. It's just not evident that he doesn't have an ACL.

Now if it helps you get a better trade then I hear ya for FF but...the guy looks fine

Users who are viewing this thread