What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Tony Pollard, TEN (1 Viewer)

I don't understand why people think Dallas has nothing to play for. They're still in line for a shot at both the NFC East and a number one seed overall. Hearing talk to the contrary is crazy unless you have a specific source. This thread made me gun shy about Zeke if Pollard doesn't go. That makes no sense. HSG quickly corrected me, and I knew they were playing to stay alive for the NFC East. Unless Jerry Jones has talked about resting guys, they shouldn't be resting them. And people saying to the contrary should really be posting sources.

I don't understand why people think Dallas has nothing to play for. They're still in line for a shot at both the NFC East and a number one seed overall. Hearing talk to the contrary is crazy unless you have a specific source. This thread made me gun shy about Zeke if Pollard doesn't go. That makes no sense. HSG quickly corrected me, and I knew they were playing to stay alive for the NFC East. Unless Jerry Jones has talked about resting guys, they shouldn't be resting them. And people saying to the contrary should really be posting sources.
i was specifically talking about pivoting to Davis if Pollard is a no go. I never said they were resting guys. I was alluding to the fact that key members of the Tenn defense have already been ruled out and this portends a lopsided affair. Here is the list of Tenn defensive players that won’t be suiting up tonight:
DL Jeffery Simmons
🏈S Amani Hooker
🏈OLB Bud Dupree
🏈LB Zach Cunningham
🏈LB Dylan Cole
🏈DB Josh Thompson

Considering Tenn has nothing to play for, and key members of the offense and defense aren’t playing, there’s a good shot Malik Davis is getting a lot of work in the second half of the game (if pollard is inactive).

^

Ah, it wasn't necessarily you I was directing that at, but your points are well-taken. I probably would not pivot to Malik Davis unless I was counting on garbage time, which could very well be early if TN decides to not go full-bore.

Jeffrey Simmons absent should be huge for Dallas's run game. The Titans are also missing starter David Long at ILB. Monty Rice and Dylan Cole have filled in for him while he's been absent. So they're down a bunch, it seems.

^

Ah, it wasn't necessarily you I was directing that at, but your points are well-taken. I probably would not pivot to Malik Davis unless I was counting on garbage time, which could very well be early if TN decides to not go full-bore.

Jeffrey Simmons absent should be huge for Dallas's run game. The Titans are also missing starter David Long at ILB. Monty Rice and Dylan Cole have filled in for him while he's been absent. So they're down a bunch, it seems.
Regardless of Pollard’s status, Zeke is a great start. Regarding TP, hopefully Schefter and other insiders give us more clarity about a possible workload should he be active.

Regardless of Pollard’s status, Zeke is a great start

TN has been really stingy against the run, though. They're about 29th in strength of schedule vs. running backs. I have visions of 16-50 and no touchdown in my head. Perhaps that's because I have him on my roster and am expecting the worst. Right now, he's around or below RB20 for the week no matter what website you look at. I won't give away FBG rankings, but they're hardly deviating from norm with him. I think Football Outsiders has him ranked really low.

Regardless of Pollard’s status, Zeke is a great start

TN has been really stingy against the run, though. They're about 29th in strength of schedule vs. running backs. I have visions of 16-50 and no touchdown in my head. Perhaps that's because I have him on my roster and am expecting the worst. Right now, he's around or below RB20 for the week no matter what website you look at. I won't give away FBG rankings, but they're hardly deviating from norm with him. I think Football Outsiders has him ranked really low.
given the guys that aren’t playing for Tenn D, I just can’t imagine him not putting up solid numbers.

given the guys that aren’t playing for Tenn D, I just can’t imagine him not putting up solid numbers.

I understand that and don't disagree too much with your assessment. I tend to worry about guys I'm starting and forget the rational assessments, instead concentrating on the emotional ones.

:yes:

According to MFL, Tennessee is ranked 31st in opposing RB points allowed per week. Next-to-last.

My MFL page has them fourth (meaning fourth fewest points allowed to RBs), FBG has them 29th (meaning they give up the 4th fewest).

Their rushing DVOA is second in the league. If anything, they have a pass-funnel defense.

I'm going with fourth fewest here.

According to MFL, Tennessee is ranked 31st in opposing RB points allowed per week. Next-to-last.

My MFL page has them fourth (meaning fourth fewest points allowed to RBs), FBG has them 29th (meaning they give up the 4th fewest).

Their rushing DVOA is second in the league. If anything, they have a pass-funnel defense.

I'm going with fourth fewest here.

Except this will be the Tennessee B-Team defense so you guys can throw alllll that data out the window.

Except this will be the Tennessee B-Team defense so you guys can throw alllll that data out the window.

Yeah, I'm not saying to depend on it given the discussion upthread. They will have a very good DL out and a good safety out. They'll also be without David Long as discussed upthread, but that's been for weeks now. That's three cogs missing from the middle of the defense.

But I still am wary of writing them off.

Has anybody reported exactly what the thigh injury is? Muscle strain, contusion??? What is the injury?
Nope. Just “thigh”.

Dameon Harris has missed 4 games with “thigh” so clearly there’s something there that can get hurt badly - but I have no idea what that might be.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Tony Pollard (thigh) will not play on Thursday night against the Titans.​

With the Titans resting several of its starters for this game, it makes sense for the Cowboys to rest Pollard in a game they're capable of winning without him. Pollard's status for Thursday's game was in doubt earlier this morning, so this latest announcement shouldn't come as much of a surprise. Ezekiel Elliott should see a heavy workload in this one and is shaping up to be a fantasy league-winner for those starting him in Week 17 with championships on the line.

Relieved actually -- Thursday games have sucked and with everything else surrounding this one, glad I'm staying away -- Not comfortable with Dobbins or R. White either, but it is what it is but at least both of those games have a lot more riding on them --

WITH POLLARD OUT and an expected very positive game script...

Any value in Malik Davis or do we think they'll just run Zeke into the ground?

I picked Davis up last night and have to decide between him and Jeudy. I think Davis is going to shine tonight and they won’t want to run Zeke into the ground. Davis could wind up getting a lot of touches in the second half.

I added him and am probably going to flex him over Cook @ Cincy on MNF (3rd place game for me).
I’m not sure I’d risk it in the championship, feels like “getting too cute” imo

Tony Pollard rushed 15 times for 77 yards in the Cowboys' Wild Card Round win over the Bucs, adding three catches for 12 yards.​

Pollard out-carried Ezekiel Elliott 15-13 and saw one more target than the lumbering back. He was able to consistently break off long runs while Zeke spent most of his night getting bottled up near the line of scrimmage. Per usual, Pollard was obviously the more explosive back for Dallas, but Mike McCarthy and Kellen Moore split their backfield evenly. Pollard will be a risky fantasy option versus a stalwart 49ers defense in the Divisional Round.
Jan 17, 2023, 12:25 AM ET

Really feel for Pollard - hope his ankle isn’t serious as it could cost him millions. 🙁
They’re calling it a high ankle. That could include a fracture.

Don’t see this impacting him in FA unless there are significant complications.

We’ll know more tomorrow probably.

Really feel for Pollard - hope his ankle isn’t serious as it could cost him millions. 🙁
They’re calling it a high ankle. That could include a fracture.

Don’t see this impacting him in FA unless there are significant complications.

We’ll know more tomorrow probably.
Seems like a reasonable chance Dallas franchises Pollard anyway. They have shown tendency to take care of their injured skill players before, such as with Dak and Gallup.

That stinks. Has only made $3.6M in career earnings so hope this does not impact his ability to land a good deal as he enters FA.
I think the only way it doesn’t impact his value is if the Cowboys tag him, as has been speculated. If the team lets him test the market, I think most teams will look to get him at a discount given that they would be signing him while he’s still rehabbing. Understandably, prospective teams aren’t going to pay for past performance.

It’s already difficult for RBs get paid handsomely - this would give teams an opportunity to invest even less in the position.

Last edited:
Wouldn't a fractured fibula be a cleaner rehab and issue than a high ankle sprain would be? High ankle sprains can linger for months. Breaks are set and then heal.
That’s what I would think, but could give any team reason to underinvest in an increasingly undervalued position. Still think Pollard gets paid well, but the injury could have cost him millions.

Wouldn't a fractured fibula be a cleaner rehab and issue than a high ankle sprain would be? High ankle sprains can linger for months. Breaks are set and then heal.
That’s what I would think, but could give any team reason to underinvest in an increasingly undervalued position. Still think Pollard gets paid well, but the injury could have cost him millions.
Fractures heal in like a month - he’ll be completely healed by free agency and likely would even be able to participate in OTAs.

Fractures heal in like a month - he’ll be completely healed by free agency and likely would even be able to participate in OTAs.
I was reading with surgery it might be a 3-6 month rehab process, but all speculation right now.

I was reading with surgery it might be a 3-6 month rehab process, but all speculation right now.
Yeah, this one sounds a bit complicated from what I just read.

Wishing Pollard the best. Horrible timing. Could definitely impact his payday unless Dallas franchises him.

Super dirty play.
It was a pretty normal looking tackle. There was absolutely nothing dirty about that - it happens. It sucks, but it happens.

He didn’t intentionally break the dude’s fibula. That’s preposterous.
You are not seeing what a lot of us are seeing now. This is the new horse collar but for the lower body. Guys hanging on and swinging all their body weight on the back of a runners legs to drag them down.

It’s highly dangerous......and a trend. We never saw this kind of whip saw pull down tackling 20 years ago at this kind of frequency.....guys would wrap up and drag down....not throw all their weight forward on their back side.

It is almost like how Bo Jacksons entire sports career was also taken away on that fateful pull down....all the weight thrown on the back side which collapsed that stallions hip......was a crushing blow.

And I am old school. I am all about the physicality of this game....but these kinds of tackles are becoming a lot more common and seriously injuring players. The NFL is going to look at them I can feel it.

Super dirty play.
It was a pretty normal looking tackle. There was absolutely nothing dirty about that - it happens. It sucks, but it happens.

He didn’t intentionally break the dude’s fibula. That’s preposterous.
You are not seeing what a lot of us are seeing now. This is the new horse collar but for the lower body. Guys hanging on and swinging all their body weight on the back of a runners legs to drag them down.

It’s highly dangerous......and a trend. We never saw this kind of whip saw pull down tackling 20 years ago at this kind of frequency.....guys would wrap up and drag down....not throw all their weight forward on their back side.

It is almost like how Bo Jacksons entire sports career was also taken away on that fateful pull down....all the weight thrown on the back side which collapsed that stallions hip......was a crushing blow.

And I am old school. I am all about the physicality of this game....but these kinds of tackles are becoming a lot more common and seriously injuring players. The NFL is going to look at them I can feel it.

This

Users who are viewing this thread