What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Samaje Perine, DEN - Plays Better West of the Mississippi! (2 Viewers)

tangfoot said:
The monkey wrench in your plans is that the Redskins have no heart or leadership, and have completely checked out on this season.  Arizona wins in a laugher.
Perhaps -- I've discounted Fitz way too many times where he's blown up in my face to not think this isn't a possibility. And ARI has more to play for as they are still in the hunt -- albeit barely.

Fact is that despite some good defensive efforts, ARI has not won back-to-back games yet this year, Gabbert isn't generating tons of offense, with ADP still ailing they are that much more one-dimensional, they are 2-4 on the road this year, and the cold weather and possible rain naturally leans more to leaning on the run game, cementing that volume that Perine relies upon for a decent fantasy outing.

Not predicting fireworks from Pee -- but I'm confident relying on the touches he'll see to get him to that floor.

I'm a fan, and own him in dynasty so I'm rooting for him to close out the year very strongly. But just a word of caution about the AZ D. They've been very strong against the run lately.

Here's their last three weeks of Run D:

Fournette: 12 carries, 25 yards. (2.1 YPC)

Gurley: 19 carries, 74 yards (note, he also had 6 for 85 receiving) (3.9 YPC)

Murray: 11 carries, 34 yards (3.0 YPC)

Henry: 8 carries, 20 yards (2.5 YPC)

Those are some pretty serious RB's, and the AZ D has held up very well against them. I still think Perine is a decent play this week based on volume, but expectations should be tempered a bit as this AZ D is looking pretty good lately.

I'm a fan, and own him in dynasty so I'm rooting for him to close out the year very strongly. But just a word of caution about the AZ D. They've been very strong against the run lately.

Here's their last three weeks of Run D:

Fournette: 12 carries, 25 yards. (2.1 YPC)

Gurley: 19 carries, 74 yards (note, he also had 6 for 85 receiving) (3.9 YPC)

Murray: 11 carries, 34 yards (3.0 YPC)

Henry: 8 carries, 20 yards (2.5 YPC)

Those are some pretty serious RB's, and the AZ D has held up very well against them. I still think Perine is a decent play this week based on volume, but expectations should be tempered a bit as this AZ D is looking pretty good lately.
I think I put it in the Collins thread but the last 3 weeks ARI is 30th (3rd fewest) in FFPA to RBs in full PPR.

I'm shocked fbgs have him ranked so high this week, he's been banged up & now going into a tough matchup. Leaving him on the bench, starting Ingram, collins, mccaffrey & baldwin over him

I'm shocked fbgs have him ranked so high this week, he's been banged up & now going into a tough matchup. Leaving him on the bench, starting Ingram, collins, mccaffrey & baldwin over him
He’s the only back left on the roster. Volume is worth a lot when you’re talking about a back. Assuming he gets Marshall’s third down work, he offers the kind of floor you crave in PPR playoff matchups. 

Anyone actually rolling the dice with this bum this week? Groin scares me off, but given that he's active, and given the tough match up, not sure if Bibbs is a better option either. 

I think both are a pass this week.
It's tough as I think Perine is just a decoy and Bibbs gets plenty of looks -- WAS o line is horrific and their playbook already incorporated a lot of swings/checks/outs to Thompson and I think Bibbs gets those, which is solid in PPR.

But looks like I may run with Gallman with a potential safer floor -- he gets used in the passing game a lot with Manning too.

(USA Today Fantasy Sports) Washington Redskins RBs Samaje Perine and Chris Thompson will have new company in 2018 if senior vice president of player personnel Doug Williams has his way. Williams said the Redskins undoubtedly have to upgrade at the position.

(USA Today Fantasy Sports) Washington Redskins RBs Samaje Perine and Chris Thompson will have new company in 2018 if senior vice president of player personnel Doug Williams has his way. Williams said the Redskins undoubtedly have to upgrade at the position.
That should not be difficult.

Thompson is a great receiving RB, but yeah, they don't even have an ok runner. I think they would be more likely to bring in a veteran than draft a guy. Probably leaves Perine/Kelley fighting for 1 spot. 

I think their prob is OL or the system and this could be a cart before the horse issue. Even though Perine is a tough sonofa and almost covets running in traffic, there's a swarm of defenders on him all the time. Thompson has excellent lateral agility and he's gotta use it behind the line of scrimmage almost every play. You'd want a guy like that hitting the line probably a step past, hear some Chris Berman sound effect, and bouncing. He runs around the corner or catches a screen and he's gotta get past two or three guys. It seems like an awfully difficult job to play RB for the Redskins. I was just watching some Alfred Morris highlights with this "what happened to you? You were pretty good" thought and the Redskins line used to be so much better or in the least, so much more effective. If you watch some Morris highlights (of not that long ago) it really looks like the Redskins should be discussing "what'd we do wrong with our system? With our OL?" 

I don't get the hate for Perine. I understand that he didn't set the world on fire as a rookie, but it's overstated how "bad" he was. Everyone seems to talk about him like he doesn't even belong in the NFL. He had a couple of good games in a situation where you could tell that the Redskins never really committed to him or put trust in him. I think the perception of him is pretty unfair - yes, he's somewhat limited and maybe not the all around great back that you're ideally looking for, but I don't think he's any worse than a number of backs in the NFL who are viewed as decent starters. 

I agree Perine deserves a shot at starting but I also understand the Skins are seeing a lot of NFL teams turn their franchises around with elite talent backs (Zeke, Gurley, Fournette when you look at their team’s recent struggles prior to their arrivals) so I can see why they might take someone in the first 2 rounds 

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is a me, me, me comment.  BUT I am in the middle of a "slow" BEST BALL draft.  Perine not in the pool.  That's weird, isn't it?

Literally traded him to the guice owner in one of my leagues right before the ACL tear news came out. Was very happy to get something out of him selling him as a handcuff to wishing I woulda waited another hour before looking at my team in a matter of 20 minutes lol

He wasn’t horrible last year but did nothing with his opportunities to make him stand out.  I still think he’s better than Fat Rob.

The door is open and with this second chance and the motivation of them drafting Guice, let’s see what he can do with it.  I believe in his talent, but so far it doesn’t seem like it has translated over to the NFL.  You could do a lot worse for a middle/late round flier.  Where is he going in drafts now with the Guice ACL tear?

Will be interesting to see if they make a deal...Kelly and Petrine are not the talent you want to start the season with...

Will be interesting to see if they make a deal...Kelly and Petrine are not the talent you want to start the season with...
Don't really see anyone better out there that a team would be willing to trade. At least not off the top of my head, maybe i'm missing someone. But a lot of the possibilities I've read aren't really realistic or won't be any better.

He wasn’t horrible last year but did nothing with his opportunities to make him stand out.  I still think he’s better than Fat Rob.

The door is open and with this second chance and the motivation of them drafting Guice, let’s see what he can do with it.  I believe in his talent, but so far it doesn’t seem like it has translated over to the NFL.  You could do a lot worse for a middle/late round flier.  Where is he going in drafts now with the Guice ACL tear?
You mean in the 18 hours since it was announced?

Last edited by a moderator:
Odds of him beating out Rob Kelley for this job?

I would expect him to, honestly.  People forget just how ravaged the Skin's offensive line was last year, and Perine had some injuries himself.  He actually had some pretty decent games.
Kelley was much better than Perrine last year before Kelley went out for the season. I don't know the stats, I just don't miss Redskins games. Also, there is no Fat Rob anymore. There is now Fit Kelley. Cut his dreads and lost weight. Looking like a new man. I'm betting on Rob leading the committee between the 2 for early down and goalline work. 

Perine is the better back but Kelley is the one the coaches like. I'm hoping Perine gets cut but now with this injury I doubt that happens. Sucks for Perine because he needs to get out of Washington. My guess is Kelley will get more carries and Perine will outplay him but not enough for it to matter.

Kelley was much better than Perrine last year before Kelley went out for the season. I don't know the stats, I just don't miss Redskins games. Also, there is no Fat Rob anymore. There is now Fit Kelley. Cut his dreads and lost weight. Looking like a new man. I'm betting on Rob leading the committee between the 2 for early down and goalline work. 
I read he lost 4 lbs.  :shrug:

3.1 ypc for Rob vs. 3.4 from Perine, but from my understanding Rob was running behind a healthier OL than Perine was. It was supposedly pretty decimated by year's end when Perine got his shot.

One thing of note while Chris Thompson is out is that Perine caught 22 of 24 targets last year at 8.3 ypr. Rob caught 16 of 25 for 6.3 ypr. Small samples but somebody has to catch passes.

He was?  What is this based on?
Watching them play every snap while rooting for them both. Actually probably rooting for Perrine more. Hoping he was going to save our decade long running game issues. We were longing for Kelley and Alfred Morris watching Perrine run last year. 

Are we picking through the trash already? It’s not even September.... fade these guys in redraft, take Thompson and wait for the FA signing. Hope for Darkwa.

You jest, but with a healthy line the winner could be quite productive - especially while Chris Thompson is out.

And Perine never struck me as fat.
Either one could be a decent low end RB2/RB3 with volume sure - but both are pretty limited backs that may never be good enough to keep the volume. 

I read he lost 4 lbs.  :shrug:

3.1 ypc for Rob vs. 3.4 from Perine, but from my understanding Rob was running behind a healthier OL than Perine was. It was supposedly pretty decimated by year's end when Perine got his shot.

One thing of note while Chris Thompson is out is that Perine caught 22 of 24 targets last year at 8.3 ypr. Rob caught 16 of 25 for 6.3 ypr. Small samples but somebody has to catch passes.
Thompson isn’t going to be out. He just said he won’t be 100% healthy to start the season but he expects to play.

Are we picking through the trash already? It’s not even September.... fade these guys in redraft, take Thompson and wait for the FA signing. Hope for Darkwa.
Questionable advice right here. There is likely value in this backfield that can be had cheaply if you find the right guy. Thompson is not 100% healthy yet and he had an RB3 pricetag before the injury to Guice. While everyone is overpaying for an injured role player and "fading" the guys likely to handle the bulk of the load, not a bad time to swoop in and grab a lottery ticket. Thompson has only played 16 games once in his career. Not great for a guy still rehabbing and about to turn 28. Speaking of age, I was surprised to see Rob Kelley is about to turn 26. 

The most interesting thing about Perine is that he's only $4 in the subscriber contest. Rob Kelley didn't make the cut or else I'd be tempted to grab them both.

Thompson isn’t going to be out. He just said he won’t be 100% healthy to start the season but he expects to play.
Yeah, sorry, bad wording. I read he avoided the PUP so I should've phrased that differently. I expect his workload to be light for the first two months.

Users who are viewing this thread