What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Rhamondre Stevenson, NE (1 Viewer)

With starting running back Damien Harris leading off all drills as he has all summer, fourth-round pick Rhamondre Stevenson was the next man up with Michel now in LA. The Patriots are showing their faith in Stevenson by dealing Michel, making the rookie the top backup to Harris in the early-down back role. There’s good reason to believe in Stevenson’s talent. He leads all ball carriers with 140 yards after contact and 12 forced missed tackles in the preseason. Plus, the Oklahoma product had a nice blitz pickup in Wednesday’s practice that highlighted his strengths in a critical area of the game for Patriots running backs. Harris will get the lion’s share of the carries this season, but Stevenson is trending towards the rare running back in New England who makes an impact in his first season with the team.
LINK

oh god the rush to get a NE rb has officially begun? is it in lockstep with the great wildebeest migration? is this RB storm causing there to be a shortage of bread milk eggs at the local stores? 

hey y'all, check back in week 5 regular season, tell us every juicy detail 'bout how you picked the wrong NE RB LOL

so entertaining, every year, year after year. CAN'T WAIT to hear how you picked the wrong guy, or that NE RB situation is too fluid. I'm gettin' all warm n fuzzy just thinking about the threads we'll see up in here

Damien harris. puh-lease. some rookie kid runs against 2nd-3rd stringers and now he's a hall of famer?! lol. 

NE sux.they'll miss the playoffs.again. wow you're all worse than the bandwagon Yankee fans of the 1990s in NJ. 

Probably will pick up Stevenson.  I have Harris, so the backup thing is good along with the upside.  I can drop Trautman, which seems fine with his injury.  But I also really want to pick up my sleeper Bryan Edwards.  Decisions, decisions.

oh god the rush to get a NE rb has officially begun? is it in lockstep with the great wildebeest migration? is this RB storm causing there to be a shortage of bread milk eggs at the local stores? 

hey y'all, check back in week 5 regular season, tell us every juicy detail 'bout how you picked the wrong NE RB LOL

so entertaining, every year, year after year. CAN'T WAIT to hear how you picked the wrong guy, or that NE RB situation is too fluid. I'm gettin' all warm n fuzzy just thinking about the threads we'll see up in here

Damien harris. puh-lease. some rookie kid runs against 2nd-3rd stringers and now he's a hall of famer?! lol. 

NE sux.they'll miss the playoffs.again. wow you're all worse than the bandwagon Yankee fans of the 1990s in NJ. 

Be a lot more cool if you want to post here. 

Discuss players without trying to passive aggressive insult other posters. 

Drop it and move on. 

I’m in the ‘zero faith in NE backfield’ camp and was hoping Stevenson’s value increased over the summer. I just traded Stevenson and Van Jefferson for OBJ, who I think is going to have a big rebound year.

Friday, August 27, 2021 12:35 PM

New England Patriots running back Rhamondre Stevenson was taking second handoffs behind Damien Harris earlier this week. It sounds like Stevenson has moved into the backup spot after the Sony Michel trade. Both Stevenson and J.J. Taylor have been impressive during the preseason. Although, it sounds like the fourth round rookie might have the edge over Taylor. It's unlikely that Stevenson will have a big enough role to warrant drafting in most fantasy formats. Although, he could certainly have a bigger role if Harris or James White get injured. Stevenson is someone worth monitoring over the next few weeks.

:popcorn:

Cam and his rushing threat is gone, Jones is a statue. Jones opens the air game and gives NE a solid game manager. How does this effect the running game? Stevenson on the FA pile is tempting...

Cam and his rushing threat is gone, Jones is a statue. Jones opens the air game and gives NE a solid game manager. How does this effect the running game? Stevenson on the FA pile is tempting...
This description conjures up images of Drew Bledsoe.  Let's home Mac-n-Cheese works out better than that!  

Stevenson has been a moose at the goal line all preseason. Cam is no longer there to steal goal line TDs, so it can only help Stevenson I’d assume. Harris probably gets first crack or even the majority of them, but if he gets dinged or just outplayed, there’s certainly a world where Stevenson balls out. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Scooby1974 said:
I'd jump all over that. He went around 13th round last night in my league. 

Dynasty governors and those who wish they governed Stevenson … after that preseason, and after Cam is cut leaving behind 19 carries inside the 5 yard line (which I think was third most in football, but need to double check):

What would you pay for Stevenson today? 

What would you sell Stevenson for today?

Dynasty governors and those who wish they governed Stevenson … after that preseason, and after Cam is cut leaving behind 19 carries inside the 5 yard line (which I think was third most in football, but need to double check):

I drafted Stevenson with the 2.11 back in May. I would reject any 2nd round offer for him, but would seriously consider a first round pick - and no sane dynasty manager would offer a 1st for any NE RB.

If you have Stevenson and are in win now mode, there may be some natural deals to be discovered with someone who wants to go full rebuild.

Governors?

Cam getting cut put Patriots back on the board for me and I acquired governing rights for Stevenson as my RB4. It is a keeper auction where $1 did the trick (this league has a much higher $1 player ratio than normal). :thumbup:  

Governors?
Stupid joke among my league mates that bleeds into my lexicon sometimes. The NBA no longer will reference team owners as “owners” so as to not be perceived as a bunch of rich white men (largely) owning a roster comprised largely of black players. So the NBA adopted the term Governor. For example, Michael Jordan does not own the Hornets, he governs them. 

I understand why they did this and don’t want to get into a racial discussion in the slightest, but it’s also kinda funny when applied to fantasy league managers. 

Stupid joke among my league mates that bleeds into my lexicon sometimes. The NBA no longer will reference team owners as “owners” so as to not be perceived as a bunch of rich white men (largely) owning a roster comprised largely of black players. So the NBA adopted the term Governor. For example, Michael Jordan does not own the Hornets, he governs them. 

I understand why they did this and don’t want to get into a racial discussion in the slightest, but it’s also kinda funny when applied to fantasy league managers. 

Wish MJ would do a little less hands on governing :lol:  

Back to the question at hand … am I crazy to think paying a late-1 in what’s perceived now to be a weak, thin draft for skill players is a reasonable buy if you believe in this guy?

I get serious Lev Bell vibes with Stevenson … heavy in college, reshapes his body, gets significantly faster, explodes. Stevenson always produced, and I think he fell in the draft due to the suspension at OU and lack of track record, yet still went in the fourth and has done nothing but ball out since. The cuts he’s making are pretty special for a back his size, and his hands are great. 

I think the fear is the usual “Patriots use RBs for set purposes and you don’t want any of them” trope, but the Pats under McDaniels have always struck me as extremely pragmatic. They tried to make Michel a featured back, and it just didn’t work. Under BB they’ve used Dillon as a workhorse, Maroney as a workhorse, Dion Lewis as a workhorse … under Dillon it produced great results, but Maroney, like Michel, didn’t take advantage, and Dion blew out his knee. Dion still had Blount for short yardage and clock killing, but he was absolutely featured. 

Similar to Sermon in SF, folks are willing to look past Shanahan’s history with committee backs and say, “Yeah but that’s because no one deserved it or stayed healthy.” And maybe that’s true. But couldn’t that also be true for NE?

Maybe I’m crazy, but I think Rhamondre may be a buy high right now if you can get him for a late 2022 1 or early-mid 2022 2. 

Back to the question at hand … am I crazy to think paying a late-1 in what’s perceived now to be a weak, thin draft for skill players is a reasonable buy if you believe in this guy?

I get serious Lev Bell vibes with Stevenson … heavy in college, reshapes his body, gets significantly faster, explodes. Stevenson always produced, and I think he fell in the draft due to the suspension at OU and lack of track record, yet still went in the fourth and has done nothing but ball out since. The cuts he’s making are pretty special for a back his size, and his hands are great. 

I think the fear is the usual “Patriots use RBs for set purposes and you don’t want any of them” trope, but the Pats under McDaniels have always struck me as extremely pragmatic. They tried to make Michel a featured back, and it just didn’t work. Under BB they’ve used Dillon as a workhorse, Maroney as a workhorse, Dion Lewis as a workhorse … under Dillon it produced great results, but Maroney, like Michel, didn’t take advantage, and Dion blew out his knee. Dion still had Blount for short yardage and clock killing, but he was absolutely featured. 

Similar to Sermon in SF, folks are willing to look past Shanahan’s history with committee backs and say, “Yeah but that’s because no one deserved it or stayed healthy.” And maybe that’s true. But couldn’t that also be true for NE?

Maybe I’m crazy, but I think Rhamondre may be a buy high right now if you can get him for a late 2022 1 or early-mid 2022 2. 
Not sure I agree with the middle section in terms of what a featured back really is. Dillon was a bell cow in 2004 until Maroney came along and that mostly put an end to the featured back days for NE. Maroney never averaged 15 carries per game and didn't catch passes. Green-Ellis never averaged 15 carries a game and didn't catch passes. Ridley had one year with a heavy workload (but never caught passes). Blount had one year as a heavy usage back, didn't catch passes, and only got that workload due to injuries to other backs. Michel averaged 15 carries a games his first two seasons but didn't catch passes and played hurt. You can try to say that Lewis was a featured back, but he averaged 7, 9, and 11 carries in his 3 years there (and the most he averaged was 13 touches per game in a season).

Bottom line, it's been 17 years since NE has had a true bell cow, featured back by design (without significant injuries to the other RBs). The question is, in today's NFL, is that even needed? The 2014 Patriots won the SB . . . with Jonas Gray leading the team in rushing with 412 yards. He had half of those in one game. That season prompted BB to change his ways for future years, and since then he's carried more backs on the roster, continued to divide the workload, had defined roles for his backs, and kept guys fresh to make sure he had options later in the season.

BB certainly has done a lot differently this year than other years, so having a primary all purpose back could be something that would fall in the "different" category. Except the leading candidate for that this year is Harris. As mentioned multiple times in multiple threads, every new RB in NE seems to get labeled as the guy that is going to be a dual threat back. Except no one really has been utilized that way. That's been one of the biggest pet peeves for a lot of NE fans on the boards here . . . why haven't they used the main back as a receiving threat. A lot of us are still waiting for an answer.

I would immediately accept a 1st for him (and I have him on two Zealots teams).

I'd probably quickly accept for an early 2nd but have to think about a late 2nd.

I’d encourage any Rhamondre owner to listen to the first 10 minutes of @Matt Waldman’s latest RSP podcast with Mark Schofield. They touch on what the offense will look like overall, and what that means for the RBs. Schofield talked about Rhamondre splitting out to the slot in preseason, running routes, turning 2-5 yard dump offs into 8-10 yard plays. Schofield says he expects to see some 22 personnel sets with Rhamondre and Harris or Rhamondre and White in the backfield. If the D goes nickel, they’ll jam it down their throats. If the D bulks up, they spread the formation with Henry, White, Rhamondre, and a WR. Rhamondre or White vs a linebacker is easy money. 

I’ll give the Patriots this - they’re extremely well coached, and their coaches are extremely good at putting the defenses in a bind. I think that’s why they immediately went out and brought in Henry and Jonnu, and I think it’s why they drafted Rhamondre in the 4th when they already had Harris, Michel, White, and Taylor. Rhamondre has just come along quicker than expected. 

I’m seriously getting Lev Bell vibes from Stevenson - heavy pounder in college that had the soft hands. Slims down predraft and gets a little quicker. Wait until he has a full season and full offseason with NFL strength and conditioning. Rhamondre at 217 might be electric vs the pretty damn good version at 230. 

Very happy to own in both dynasty leagues. Interested to see it all develop. 

I’d encourage any Rhamondre owner to listen to the first 10 minutes of @Matt Waldman’s latest RSP podcast with Mark Schofield. They touch on what the offense will look like overall, and what that means for the RBs. Schofield talked about Rhamondre splitting out to the slot in preseason, running routes, turning 2-5 yard dump offs into 8-10 yard plays. Schofield says he expects to see some 22 personnel sets with Rhamondre and Harris or Rhamondre and White in the backfield. If the D goes nickel, they’ll jam it down their throats. If the D bulks up, they spread the formation with Henry, White, Rhamondre, and a WR. Rhamondre or White vs a linebacker is easy money. 

I’ll give the Patriots this - they’re extremely well coached, and their coaches are extremely good at putting the defenses in a bind. I think that’s why they immediately went out and brought in Henry and Jonnu, and I think it’s why they drafted Rhamondre in the 4th when they already had Harris, Michel, White, and Taylor. Rhamondre has just come along quicker than expected. 

I’m seriously getting Lev Bell vibes from Stevenson - heavy pounder in college that had the soft hands. Slims down predraft and gets a little quicker. Wait until he has a full season and full offseason with NFL strength and conditioning. Rhamondre at 217 might be electric vs the pretty damn good version at 230. 

Very happy to own in both dynasty leagues. Interested to see it all develop. 
Do you happen to have a link to that pod?

eric rymer said:
Do you happen to have a link to that pod?
I’m basically tech illiterate, but if you search for RSP or Matt Waldman the RSP cast with the raven image should come up. From there, look for the most recent. There was an issue with the dates on Apple podcasts - it’s listed under “unknown season” down below season 1 and season 3. 

It’s dated 9/1 if that helps. 

Stevenson has looked incredibly decisive, something I think NE really covets. Reminds me of a young Frank Gore, vision, compact and nimble feet.
Yes, Stevenson has looked good. But 80% of the guys he's played against in the preseason are no longer on an NFL roster. At best he's played a few reps against 2nd string defenses, but he's mostly gone up against 3rd stringers. Let's see how he does against real NFL defenders who 1) are better positioned, 2) are a lot quicker, and 3) can muster resistance to getting blocked, and 4) can tackle.

Yes, Stevenson has looked good. But 80% of the guys he's played against in the preseason are no longer on an NFL roster. At best he's played a few reps against 2nd string defenses, but he's mostly gone up against 3rd stringers. Let's see how he does against real NFL defenders who 1) are better positioned, 2) are a lot quicker, and 3) can muster resistance to getting blocked, and 4) can tackle.
Oh for sure, without a doubt. It’s just that the things you listed are not in his control, so I can only focus on what Stevenson does. If I’m looking at the things that he can control, the foundational things like vision, anticipation/instinct and feet, they are there. Those things will translate eventually. 

@Anarchy99 perhaps I’m completely misreading the vibe, but as a Patriots fan I would think you’d be thrilled with how Stevenson has looked. I’d be doing backflips if this guy was on my NFL team, but it feels like you’re throwing cold water at every step. 

I assume it’s just for fantasy value, which again I believe lies most in his dynasty stock. Is that a correct interpretation of your view?

@Anarchy99 perhaps I’m completely misreading the vibe, but as a Patriots fan I would think you’d be thrilled with how Stevenson has looked. I’d be doing backflips if this guy was on my NFL team, but it feels like you’re throwing cold water at every step. 

I assume it’s just for fantasy value, which again I believe lies most in his dynasty stock. Is that a correct interpretation of your view?
Not sure what to say. He’s looked good so far. But I’ve seen other players look great in the preseason for NE that went on to do absolutely nothing. I am not anti-Stevenson. Obviously I hope he does well. I’m more in the camp of let’s see how he does when things actually count for something. 

I just don’t think he will be fantasy start worthy this year. Fantasy backup with upside? Sure. Lots of potentially good outcomes if things break right. But a fumble or a sack on a blown assignment and they could put him in storage for a month. 

The stuff I have been posting is based on the NE usage patterns for their RBs over the past 17 years. Could they make an entirely different plan and rotation? Sure. But I am not sure they will. Does that help any?

Not sure what to say. He’s looked good so far. But I’ve seen other players look great in the preseason for NE that went on to do absolutely nothing. I am not anti-Stevenson. Obviously I hope he does well. I’m more in the camp of let’s see how he does when things actually count for something. 

I just don’t think he will be fantasy start worthy this year. Fantasy backup with upside? Sure. Lots of potentially good outcomes if things break right. But a fumble or a sack on a blown assignment and they could put him in storage for a month. 

The stuff I have been posting is based on the NE usage patterns for their RBs over the past 17 years. Could they make an entirely different plan and rotation? Sure. But I am not sure they will. Does that help any?
I think he'll look like Marshall Faulk circa 1999.  Now that's a bold prediction but I think he'll live up to it.  

I can understand some redraft issues with RS for this year, but in dynasty I would be all over drafting him.  Size, speed, and hands are the way to go through life, son.

I can understand some redraft issues with RS for this year, but in dynasty I would be all over drafting him.  Size, speed, and hands are the way to go through life, son.
This is fair.  But who knows what BB does next year?   I mean, the Cowboys could cut Zeke and BB could pick him up for an incentive-laden contract.  (Note:  not saying that is what WILL happen)

Well then he would turn into Tony Pollard.
That would be fitting.  I drafted Pollard as a rookie, and drafted Rhamondre this year.

I’m a big fan - just think he won’t have much value this year, and who knows what BB will do from year to year.

edit to correct my lazy spelling

Last edited by a moderator:
From the Pats Pulpit 5 Bold Predictions article:

Rhamondre Stevenson will be RB1 by the end of the season

Damien Harris has a history of injuries in his brief yet productive career. The Patriots are looking at a potential three-headed monster of Harris, J.J. Taylor and James White out of the backfield to start the season. But waiting in the wings is the team’s fourth-round selection, Stevenson. Personally, I think Stevenson has more upside than Harris moving forward, given the former’s ability to catch the ball out of the backfield and his route-running.

Stevenson was the most productive running back in the preseason, especially when it came to getting additional yards after contact. Once he’s more acclimated in the offense and is more comfortable with what they want him to do in it, there isn’t any real reason to keep him off the field.
I know the team is all in on Harris this year. I suppose we will have to see if Harris can stay healthy and if Stevenson can learn all the other things involved in being an NFL RB other than simply running the football.

All of a sudden everybody on my Stevenson train.

Several weeks late after they already had their drafts...whoops.
I still don't think he will end up being "all that" this year. Harris would need to get dinged for multiple games and lose the lead dog role. Word out of camp is Harris turned into the Hulk, bulking up over the off-season and is now jacked up. Lots of other things also need to happen, including NE utilizing Stevenson as a receiver and goal line back, RS not missing blocking assignments, RS not coughing up the football, Stevenson staying healthy himself, and BB trusting a rookie RB. That's a lot of "ifs." If Harris got hurt, RS would probably be startable fantasy-wise in those games. The same could be said for backup / part-time RBs on 31 other NFL teams if the main guy went down. Truth be told, no one really has any idea what the new look Patriots are going to do. They could have games where they pass 50 times or run 40 times (without giving any warning which way they were headed that particular week).

I appreciate David’s advice that Harris stans pump the brakes for fear of going overboard.  But there are so many signs of a breakout begging to happen here.  I’m not a PFF subscriber, but my understanding is that Harris is a darling amongst the advanced analytical crowd. That coupled with the Pats getting rid of Michel and Cam screams value.  

If you believe in Harris’ talent, it seems like everything is in place. Wouldn’t you much rather have Harris in the 5th/6th than some of those landline RBs in the 2nd and 3rd? 

If you believe in Harris’ talent, it seems like everything is in place. Wouldn’t you much rather have Harris in the 5th/6th than some of those landline RBs in the 2nd and 3rd? 

Not to mention his handcuff has looked amazing and is still relatively cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread