What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Rashaad Penny, CAR (1 Viewer)

I'll take the 32, 36, 41, 47 and 62 yard TDs all day long. Shows how explosive he is

As far as the short TDs, he shared the backfield with a healthy Chris Carson his first two years, who got most of the goal-line action. Missed almost the entire 2020 season, so toss that out. Had 6 TDs on only 119 carries in 2021 and then a couple on 57 carries last year. Not worried at all about TD rate if he stays "fully healthy" which is the assumption we have been working on.

Just don't see a reason he wouldn't be the guy on the field in close this year, IF he stays healthy.

Penny is 230 lbs after losing weight this offseason, compared to 235+ last year. How much do Swift and (LOL) Gainwell weigh, comparatively? The only G/L vulture equivalent to Carson, if there is one on the Eagles this year, is Jalen Hurts.
Swift has been a very good goal-line back. Although Williams predominantly was used in that role Swift was efficient when he was in the backfield in close.

I am not sure that Swift or Penny is a question anyone should care about. Penny is the better runner, Swift the better pass catcher.

Last season the Eagles targetted their RB's at the lowest rate in the league, ~3.5 targets per game. If rushing QB's tend to checkdown less then Swift has a severely capped ceiling in this offense, even if he gets all the RB targets which is unlikely.

Both backs need an injury to get into the top 24 so if you are making that bet why not make it on the cheaper guy? (ADP 64 vs 109)

My position is that neither RB is worth a roster spot.

I would look at other RBs in the 100 ADP range. Like look at NO, give me Alvin Kamara (82 ADP) or Jamaal Williams (95 ADP). Here are two guys who if were forced to carry the load could without getting hurt. Or give me Isiah Pacheco (73 ADP).
You can avoid the situation if you want, but to say neither is worth a roster spot seems sort of ridiculous. Hurts may vulture a lot but the Eagles score a ton. Also, Kamara is ADP 82? Geez…..

I'm just trying to help you guys out here. Being that I follow the Eagles day in, day out for many, many years. Any bit of news, any goings on. Season tickets to the team. I have a pretty good feel about how they'll use their personnel, what they do in certain situations, how they feel about current players, what changes the make internally, what the players are saying, who gets dinged up in practice, who did well during practice. I think I know the Eagles RB situation pretty well.

Then I see in this thread the hope that maybe Penny can score a bunch of long TDs, beat out the other RBs, stay healthy, yada...yada...yada... and I say, why hope that all of these things can go right for the guy when there are other guys who have to face less obstacles to be a producer on your fantasy team. Because he stayed healthy for a month 2 seasons ago and put together a good stretch of games? His only good stretch in 5 seasons?

Like I said before, I hope he balls out. That means the Eagles will have a good season. But for fantasy purposes, I'm not rostering the guy.

I think this post could be summed up as:

'I know the Eagles more than you, but my actual main gripe is yada yada yada, Penny, who has never been an Eagle until just recently, absolutely cannot and will not stay healthy.' Perhaps the injury odds and Gods are with you. I am not so sure.

You should look into Penny's career efficiency and productivity metrics. On a per play basis, dude has been beyond impressive. Luck has not been his friend, however. Maybe the Universe hates him. Or maybe he's due for a mean regression on the injury front.

I'm just looking at the information we have and processing it.

1. Penny has not been able to stay healthy. His career high in carries is 119. There are unlucky injuries and players who's bodies are just not capable of taking the week to week pounding of the NFL. I'm putting Penny in the latter group. The best ability is availability.

2. Penny is one-dimensional. Penny isn't a threat to catch the ball out of the back-field. That lack of diversity will not be his friend as the Eagles are looking to involve the backs in the passing game more this season.

3. Penny is buried on the depth chart. Throughout training camp, Kenneth Gainwell was seeing a majority of the reps with the 1st team specialty units (goal line, 3rd down, etc.) and Swift was seeing the rest of the 1st team reps. Reports are that the Eagles have Swift split out of the backfield a lot so they're looking at getting him in space. Scott was seeing mostly second team reps. From that information, I'd say the Eagles are really working Gainwell and Swift into their gameplan. Penny on the other hand was getting all the 3rd team reps with Trey Sermon in camp. The Eagles cut all their KR/PR people, but have used Boston Scott in the KR role in the past and Devonta Smith in PR. If I'm a betting man, the 3 backs dressed on Sunday's will be Swift, Gainwell and Scott. With Swift and Gainwell splitting a majority of the reps on offense and Scott being used on special teams. Then, should one of Swift or Gainwell gets hurt, at best Penny will be splitting reps with the remaining healthy backs and may still be behind Boston Scott if an injury did occur. But even if the stars aligned and the Eagles decided to give Penny a bulk of the reps if an injury happened, because of the information in #1, I think his value is limited at best.

My position is, I hope Penny has a career year and stays healthy and sets a career high in carries and yard per carry. He's part of the birdgang now and I'm rooting for him. However, I wouldn't draft any of the Eagles RBs because I think the usage is going to be split too many ways. I was all over Alvin Kamara when his ADP was in the 9th round. Now that his ADP has jumped up, if I was to draft a Eagles RB pair it would be Swift and Gainwell, not Penny. Too many red flags with Penny and the way the reps have been going in camp, Swift and Gainwell seem like the better pair to own.

Thank you for the thoughtful discussion!

1. Past injury history is one factor to consider in determining a player's injury risk. It should not be discounted entirely, and I am not doing so here, Though in this case, it seems most are placing too much weight on it, almost as if it's guartanteed for 2023.

2. He doesn’t need catches or to beat out Swift entirely to be fantasy relevant. All he needs to do is force a dual RBBC, instead of a triple, and get the goal line looks.

3. If the Eagles think Gainwell and Scott are better than Penny, so be it. He will go back to the trash heap I collected him from, but I will be watching him very closely all season for reacquisition, in the event of injury and/or tide change. This dude has shown across multiple seasons that he is a very high level NFL rusher, and now he gets the chance to do so for the Eagles. Yes, please.

Penny has shown to be a couple tiers ahead of Miles Sanders as an RB talent, and Sanders just came off of dominating Gainwell and Scott for touches. There is enough meat here for both Swift and Penny, and I think creme will rise eventually between Penny/Gainwell/Scott, even if it hasn't yet.

1. Past injury history is one factor to consider in determining a player's injury risk. It should not be discounted entirely, and I am not doing so here, Though in this case, it seems most are placing too much weight on it, almost as if it's guartanteed for 2023.

By season:
  • 2018 - 15 (of 17) games, 186 snaps, 98 touches
  • 2019 - 10 (of 18) games, 150 snaps, 73 touches
  • 2020 - 3 (of 17) games, 38 snaps, 11 touches
  • 2021 - 10 (of 17) games, 253 snaps, 125 touches
  • 2022 - 5 (of 18) games, 170 snaps, 61 touches
  • Total - 43 of 87 games (49%), 797 snaps (18.5 per game), 368 touches (8.6 per game)
Over the past 3 seasons, he has missed 34 games and played in 18. IMO it is perfectly reasonable to expect him to miss at least a few games, unless the Eagles limit him to a very small workload in an effort to keep him healthy. Either way, that limits his opportunity.

2. He doesn’t need catches or to beat out Swift entirely to be fantasy relevant. All he needs to do is force a dual RBBC, instead of a triple, and get the goal line looks.

He has never gotten goal line looks in his career - he has 16 rushing attempts, 1 target, and 3 TDs in his career inside the 10 yard line. Now he has joined a team with at least 2 stronger goal line options, Hurts and Swift. Frankly, Gainwell is better too... he has 20 rushing attempts inside the 10 for 8 TDs.

By season:
  • 2018 - 15 (of 17) games, 186 snaps, 98 touches
  • 2019 - 10 (of 18) games, 150 snaps, 73 touches
  • 2020 - 3 (of 17) games, 38 snaps, 11 touches
  • 2021 - 10 (of 17) games, 253 snaps, 125 touches
  • 2022 - 5 (of 18) games, 170 snaps, 61 touches
  • Total - 43 of 87 games (49%), 797 snaps (18.5 per game), 368 touches (8.6 per game)
Over the past 3 seasons, he has missed 34 games and played in 18. IMO it is perfectly reasonable to expect him to miss at least a few games, unless the Eagles limit him to a very small workload in an effort to keep him healthy. Either way, that limits his opportunity.

He has never gotten goal line looks in his career - he has 16 rushing attempts, 1 target, and 3 TDs in his career inside the 10 yard line. Now he has joined a team with at least 2 stronger goal line options, Hurts and Swift. Frankly, Gainwell is better too... he has 20 rushing attempts inside the 10 for 8 TDs.

Health permitting, creme will rise. We can agree to disagree on who the creme is here.

anyone have any insight on how Penny is going to be used this week?

The Eagles barely played any of their offensive starters in the preseason. The starting QB, OL, TE, WRs didn't play a snap. Here is the Eagles preseason usage for RBs.

Trey Sermon: 30 carries
Kennedy Brooks: 13 carries
Rashaad Penny: 11 carries
D'Andre Swift: 2 carries
Kenneth Gainwell: 1 carry
Boston Scott: 1 carry

The first two guys got cut. Based on his preseason usage (and reports from camp that Penny was running with the 3rd team), my guess is that Penny is firmly behind Swift, Gainwell and Scott in the pecking order.

Unless you really went zero RBs to the extreme, there's no reason to chance starting Penny this week. It's more likely he's inactive than that he has a significant role, but anyone that tries to answer is guessing.
My opponent in one IDP redraft league, who started Gibbs, is also starting Penny.

He didn’t go zero RB….intentionally. lol

Unless you really went zero RBs to the extreme, there's no reason to chance starting Penny this week. It's more likely he's inactive than that he has a significant role, but anyone that tries to answer is guessing.
My opponent in one IDP redraft league, who started Gibbs, is also starting Penny.

I was asking more because someone dropped him in my league yesterday

100% worth a speculative add.
Depends on the context -- who are you dropping, lineup requirements, size of league, etc.

I bought him for $3 in my $250-cap auction league with 20 roster spots. He'll just sit on my bench until it looks like he's getting a decent workload. If that never materializes, I'll cut him at some point.

Gibbs wasn’t a bad start, although he turned out to be - but why start Penny? Maybe he took Taylor?

Gibbs wasn’t a bad start, although he turned out to be - but why start Penny? Maybe he took Taylor?
His top 3 RB are Gibbs, Montgomery, & Penny.

It's an IDP redraft, so things break oddly - but what was weird (to me) is that he had the James Cook/Rashad White/Monty tier lined up and already had Gibbs, but opted to go with Monty.

After the draft I asked him about that & he said the whiskey had a lot to do with that - apparently he'd forgotten he already had Gibbs. And since he went WR heavy, his RBs took a big hit as a result.

I happily took Cook that round. So far so good...for me. lol

100% worth a speculative add.
Depends on the context -- who are you dropping, lineup requirements, size of league, etc.

I bought him for $3 in my $250-cap auction league with 20 roster spots. He'll just sit on my bench until it looks like he's getting a decent workload. If that never materializes, I'll cut him at some point.
I am looking at dropping him for McLaughlin once waivers clear. Trying to figure out how much faab to spend … at around $11 right now

For reference my RBs are (my weakest position)

Jahmyr Gibbs
James Cook
Jonathan Taylor
Tyjae Spears
Tank Bigsby
Sean Tucker
Jaleel McLaughlin

The rest of my team is pretty set

The Eagles barely played any of their offensive starters in the preseason. The starting QB, OL, TE, WRs didn't play a snap. Here is the Eagles preseason usage for RBs.

The first two guys got cut. Based on his preseason usage (and reports from camp that Penny was running with the 3rd team), my guess is that Penny is firmly behind Swift, Gainwell and Scott in the pecking order.
Thats weird a guy (gainwell) who goes down when a stiff breeze hits him being ahead of Penny who is one of the best at breaking tackles and who averages over 5 yds a carry.

I got Penny in a draft late but will see how things turn out.

Thats weird a guy (gainwell) who goes down when a stiff breeze hits him being ahead of Penny who is one of the best at breaking tackles and who averages over 5 yds a carry.

They are using Gainwell for special packages.

Penny is a one dimensional player. He doesn't catch the ball and he doesn't play special teams.

They are using Gainwell for special packages.

Penny is a one dimensional player. He doesn't catch the ball and he doesn't play special teams.
Aware of that but Penny should be the first back out to establish your ground game and then you make your adjustments. Swift does not like to run inside.

Swift does not like to run inside.

Per PFF, 132 of Swift's 250 rushing attempts (53%) over the past 2 seasons were inside (LG, ML, MR, RG), and he averaged 5.2 ypc on those carries. And that is despite the fact that the Lions had Jamal Williams in both of those seasons, making it somewhat more likely they would choose outside runs for Swift to complement Williams.

T
Swift does not like to run inside.

Per PFF, 132 of Swift's 250 rushing attempts (53%) over the past 2 seasons were inside (LG, ML, MR, RG), and he averaged 5.2 ypc on those carries. And that is despite the fact that the Lions had Jamal Williams in both of those seasons, making it somewhat more likely they would choose outside runs for Swift to complement Williams.
I think this is a case where these underlying facts do not explain the end result.
Lions were happy to unload Swift.

With good numbers such as this and his use in the passing game why did the Lions move on? The reasons are somewhat murky, and the team kept the reasons for their dissatisfaction to themselves. But by his limited usage it was apparent they didn't trust him though he was not on the injury report.

There were repeated rumors that they thought he played soft, bounced too many runs outside, tried to avoid hits to his shoulder. I chose to believe them plus noticing that at times he didn't hit the hole and took it outside though that's an issue for other RBs.

It will be interesting so see how it plays out in Philly.

[QUOTE="Moonlight, post: 24616281,
[/QUOTE]

For sure. My base case right now is a similar gamescript-dependent setup to what we last night from the Lions, but with a bit of Gainwell sprinkled in when pass-blocking is prioritized.

For sure. My base case right now is a similar gamescript-dependent setup to what we last night from the Lions, but with a bit of Gainwell sprinkled in when pass-blocking is prioritized.
[/QUOTE]
So who is the Montgomery role in this scenario?

[/QUOTE]

Penny - Monty
Swift - Gibbs

Gainwell - 4 min, 2 min, long passing downs, if Swift struggles w/pass pro

Scott - Craig Reynolds

Penny - Monty
Swift - Gibbs

Gainwell - 4 min, 2 min, long passing downs, if Swift struggles w/pass pro

Scott - Craig Reynolds
[/QUOTE]
That is what I thought you meant but everything out of Philly I keep hearing is Penny being 3rd in the pecking order. Adam Caplan NFL insider who is pretty tuned into Philly has stated Swift to get the most touches and be the lead back in a committee.

Swift to get the most touches and be the lead back in a committee

This has been the expected outcome all along IMO.

Similar was said about Gibbs. Now they are saying it was easing him into the offense, but I saw it more as game script playing out. Similar game script issues will apply in Philly IMO. We shall see.
The Gibbs narrative was based on mistaken assumptions.

People focused solely on draft capital and ignored Montgomery's high end of market contract and, more important the fact that Dan Campbell literally said, this week, they were going to ease Gibbs into the game.

The assumptions out of Phili are much more difficult to puzzle out. They traded for Swift and Penny has a (very) low-end market deal. Most of the talk coming out of Phili has suggested Swift is probably the lead guy. The RBs who led the team in touches this preseason are all no longer in the roster. Protecting the starters is the assumption. Of the remaining guys, Penny had the most. Some even wonder if Penny will be on the game day roster. Carrying four active RBs is tough, particularly when Penny doesn't play ST. Neither does Swift, not sure about Gainwell.

It's not much really.

But, if we have to plant a flag on one of these guys this week I'm going with Swift.

Similar was said about Gibbs. Now they are saying it was easing him into the offense, but I saw it more as game script playing out. Similar game script issues will apply in Philly IMO. We shall see.

People focused solely on draft capital and ignored Montgomery's high end of market contract and, more important the fact that Dan Campbell literally said, this week, they were going to ease Gibbs into the game.

The assumptions out of Phili are much more difficult to puzzle out. They traded for Swift and Penny has a (very) low-end market deal. Most of the talk coming out of Phili has suggested Swift is probably the lead guy. The RBs who led the team in touches this preseason are all no longer in the roster. Protecting the starters is the assumption. Of the remaining guys, Penny had the most. Some even wonder if Penny will be on the game day roster. Carrying four active RBs is tough, particularly when Penny doesn't play ST. Neither does Swift, not sure about Gainwell.

It's not much really.

But, if we have to plant a flag on one of these guys this week I'm going with Swift.

It really depends on what the Eagles do with their KR/PR guys. They get to use 2 PS guys. They're going to bring Siposs off the PS to punt this Sunday, who they bring as the other PS player will give an indication of who is going to do KR. If they use Covey who is a PR guy, they'll use Boston Scott on KR. If they use Devon Allen who is a KR guy, they'll use Zaccheaus on PR. My guess is they'll use Covey since he was the PR guy last season and did a decent job at it. Scott has experience doing KR. If they are using Boston Scott as a KR guy it kind of puts a squeeze on Penny to suit up. It's pure speculation on my part that Penny won't suit up this Sunday. I find it hard for Philly to suit up 4 RBs, especially since Penny doesn't play special teams, won't be in 3rd and distance situations, won't be in the 2 or 4 minute packages, and won't play on goal line packages, do the Eagles really want to use a roster spot on Penny? Unless, Swift, Gainwell and Scott got hurt, I don't really envision a situation where the Eagles would say, "man, I wish we had that 4th RB".

and won't play on goal line packages
This one surprises me a little. I mean, he's their biggest body at the position by a good margin. Why wouldn't he be the GL guy?

Who do you think the GL guy will be?

I don't see much success for him on the goal line. I only see 2 TDs inside the 5 for him in his career. Penny gets his TDs from distance, he's a HR hitter.

Swift has 4 TDs inside the 5, over the last 2 seasons.

Gainwell has 4 TDs inside the 5, over the last 2 seasons.

Boston Scott has 9 TDs inside the 5, over the last 2 seasons.

There are multiple problems for Penny in the goal line package. 1.) You have Hurts who with the tush-push is about automatic if they get to the 1, that will always be an option. 2.) You don't have to account for Penny in the passing game. The Eagles want guys who can check a lot of boxes and won't be predictable as its harder to score the close you get; and 3.) All the other RBs have had success inside the 5 so it's not like they don't have other, possibly better options. Penny looks like a between the 20s, just to change the running style player to me.

This one surprises me a little. I mean, he's their biggest body at the position by a good margin. Why wouldn't he be the GL guy?

I don't see much success for him on the goal line. I only see 2 TDs inside the 5 for him in his career. Penny gets his TDs from distance, he's a HR hitter.

There are multiple problems for Penny in the goal line package. 1.) You have Hurts who with the tush-push is about automatic if they get to the 1, that will always be an option. 2.) You don't have to account for Penny in the passing game. The Eagles want guys who can check a lot of boxes and won't be predictable as its harder to score the close you get; and 3.) All the other RBs have had success inside the 5 so it's not like they don't have other, possibly better options. Penny looks like a between the 20s, just to change the running style player to me.

I like that you claim that having 4tds inside the 5 in two seasons is 'success'

Those stats are just as pathetic as Penney

Wouldn’t it depend on how many opportunities he had?
Swift had 4 carries inside the 5 yard line and scored twice in each of those season. So 4 TDs in 8 attempts inside of five yards. That’s far from pathetic. It’s very good.

Williams was used much more in those packages - which only means he was better than Swift at it (or the coaches thought so) not that Swift was necessarily bad at it.

The other issue is nominal numbers reflect zero context. At the very least, we should compare success rates not total TDs. No idea if Penny stacks up better on that measure, but I'd be surprised if the explosive 230 lb RB isn't better at G/L than much smaller Swift/Gainwell.

The other issue is nominal numbers reflect zero context. At the very least, we should compare success rates not total TDs. No idea if Penny stacks up better on that measure, but I'd be surprised if the explosive 230 lb RB isn't better at G/L than much smaller Swift/Gainwell.

Exactly

And saying that he isn't good because he only scores 'from far away' doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Gibbs is a rookie who was playing in his first game against a great team, so it made sense to favor the veteran, Montgomery, especially since he played well. None of that applies to Swift. Apples and oranges.

Wouldn’t it depend on how many opportunities he had?
Swift had 4 carries inside the 5 yard line and scored twice in each of those season. So 4 TDs in 8 attempts inside of five yards. That’s far from pathetic. It’s very good.

Williams was used much more in those packages - which only means he was better than Swift at it (or the coaches thought so) not that Swift was necessarily bad at it.

Well has only had 2 TDs inside the 5 in his 42 games. So either the Seahawks didn't use him in that role or he wasn't very good at. Either way, just because he has a certain body type and the other backs don't doesn't mean that Penny would be the guy.

It's not much really.

It really depends on what the Eagles do with their KR/PR guys. They get to use 2 PS guys. They're going to bring Siposs off the PS to punt this Sunday, who they bring as the other PS player will give an indication of who is going to do KR. If they use Covey who is a PR guy, they'll use Boston Scott on KR. If they use Devon Allen who is a KR guy, they'll use Zaccheaus on PR. My guess is they'll use Covey since he was the PR guy last season and did a decent job at it. Scott has experience doing KR. If they are using Boston Scott as a KR guy it kind of puts a squeeze on Penny to suit up. It's pure speculation on my part that Penny won't suit up this Sunday. I find it hard for Philly to suit up 4 RBs, especially since Penny doesn't play special teams, won't be in 3rd and distance situations, won't be in the 2 or 4 minute packages, and won't play on goal line packages, do the Eagles really want to use a roster spot on Penny? Unless, Swift, Gainwell and Scott got hurt, I don't really envision a situation where the Eagles would say, "man, I wish we had that 4th RB".

But using 2 PS guys means 2 more inactive players are required. Not sure that relieves the pressure to make a RB who does not play special teams inactive, but I don't follow the Eagles, so I don't know.

I posted about this multiple times in this thread. Penny literally has 16 rushing attempts and 1 target in his career inside the 10 yard line. Hurts, Swift, and Gainwell are all more proven goal line options.

Penny has 3 TDs inside the 10 (not the 5) in his career. Now, which one seems more pathetic?

I already posted the numbers in this thread. You don't seem particularly interested in facts, since they don't support your perspective.

Eagles elevating Siposs and Covey from PS for Sunday's game. Based on that, Boston Scott appears to in line to be the KR for Sunday's game.

Exactly

And saying that he isn't good because he only scores 'from far away' doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I never said he wasn't good. I said I didn't see much success at the goal line. As I said above, if Penny was a good goal line runner, I'd expect to see more than 2 TDs from inside the 5 after 42 games. If he has this body type that makes him a good short yardage back, I'd expect him to have more scores inside the 5. Boston Scott has 9 TDs inside the 5 over the past 2 seasons and he only had 141 carries in that span. So I'd say he's pretty effective in that role.

It's not much really.

Called up Siposs and Covey for Sunday's game.

It's not much really.

But using 2 PS guys means 2 more inactive players are required. Not sure that relieves the pressure to make a RB who does not play special teams inactive, but I don't follow the Eagles, so I don't know.

Yeah, that's kinda my point with Penny. He doesn't play special teams, he isn't going to be used in 2 minute or 4 minute (Gainwell will), he's not Marshawn Lynch at the goal line, the Eagles really don't have a huge need for a short yardage back (tush push is money). For Philly, his value is as a 1st and 2nd down, between the 20s runner. Is that enough to dress 4 running backs or can you get by with Swift, Gainwell and Scott and dress someone who can contribute on special teams? Even if he does dress Sunday, I wouldn't expect him to get many carries.

I already posted the numbers in this thread. You don't seem particularly interested in facts, since they don't support your perspective.

Your facts lack context and your snark is unnecessary.

I asked about success rate as a minimum, rather than nominal TD numbers. But even success rate isn't a perfect measure, as it lacks context of difference in OL, OC system and surrounding talent. Who has had the better OL last few years, Eagles or Seahawks? Who has played against better D's? Who had better RB teammates?

How about the fact that Penny has some of the best RB statistical metrics in NFL history across many (albeit injury shortened) years now? You don't seem particularly interested in those facts, but all good. We'll get to see what's what soon.

Your facts lack context and your snark is unnecessary.

I asked about success rate as a minimum, rather than nominal TD numbers. But even success rate isn't a perfect measure, as it lacks context of difference in OL, OC system and surrounding talent. Who has had the better OL last few years, Eagles or Seahawks? Who has played against better D's? Who had better RB teammates?

How about the fact that Penny has some of the best RB statistical metrics in NFL history across many (albeit injury shortened) years now? You don't seem particularly interested in those facts, but all good. We'll get to see what's what soon.

He has been in the NFL for 5 seasons and played in 43 games. Yet all of his teams have chosen to give him just 16 carries and 1 TD inside the 10 yard line. Not at the goal line -- inside the 10. The numbers go down if you actually focus on goal line.

That is 16 out of 341 career carries inside the 10 -- less than 5%. And 1 of 36 career targets -- less than 3%.

The best way to look at that from a positive perspective for Penny is that it was due to injuries and the presence of other, better goal line players. While injuries aren't predictable, they must remain a concern for Penny given his track record. And he is still playing with multiple better goal line players in Philly (Hurts, Swift, Gainwell).

What context is lacking from this information that swings things in favor of Penny? His other metrics that look positive? To that, I say: he generally compiled those positive metrics between the 20s, not at the goal line or inside the red zone, and, despite the performance in those other metrics, his teams never chose to give Penny a goal line role or even much of a red zone role.

Last edited:
Well has only had 2 TDs inside the 5 in his 42 games.
4 TDs inside the 5 in just the last two seasons.

I thought SB was talking about Penny. He has 2 TDs inside the 5 in his career, both runs: a 3 yard TD in 2021 week 9 and a 1 yard TD in 2019 week 5. He also had a 6 yard TD run in 2021 week 11. His next shortest TD was a 13 yard reception in 2019 week 6.
Oh, maybe. If so then my apologies.

Users who are viewing this thread