What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Rashaad Penny, CAR (1 Viewer)

Pretty crazy how high this guy continues to be in the FBG Top 200 forward... above Singletary White Drake Gore Barber Cohen etc. 

Feels like he should be down with the other pure handcuffs like Lewis, Ito Smith, Mattison, Brown, Edwards etc.

Rashaad Penny (hamstring) is questionable for the Seahawks' Week 6 matchup against the Browns.

Penny was added to the injury report Thursday with a hamstring injury, but was listed as a full participant. He appears to have a real shot at missing Sunday's matchup against the Browns. C.J. Prosise would serve as the offense's No. 2 back if Penny is ultimately inactive. Chris Carson (shoulder) is good to go for the game after not being listed on the final injury report.

SOURCE: John Boyle on Twitter.

Oct 11, 2019, 4:26 PM ET

What a waste of a fantasy draft pick and definitely irl draft pick. The whole play was that he would have tremendous upside if Carson were to go down, but he himself can’t even stay on the field.

I feel like I want to drop him for another upside handcuff like gus edwards or ryquell armstead but whats the point?  Penny has just as much of a shot at making noise if carson goes down as those others do if the guys they back up go down, rt?  And looking at the waiver wire rt now, the only guy I think might be worth picking up and stashing in favor of penny might be Derrius guice, but I don't think he returns until week 10 or something rt?  

I feel like I want to drop him for another upside handcuff like gus edwards or ryquell armstead but whats the point?  Penny has just as much of a shot at making noise if carson goes down as those others do if the guys they back up go down, rt?  And looking at the waiver wire rt now, the only guy I think might be worth picking up and stashing in favor of penny might be Derrius guice, but I don't think he returns until week 10 or something rt?  
Week 11 for IR, I think.

That's quite a long way away. Lots of seasons made or broken by then. A week in this hobby is an eternity.

Week 11 for IR, I think.

That's quite a long way away. Lots of seasons made or broken by then. A week in this hobby is an eternity.
yup...Jamaal Williams is out there.  He has some stand alone value and has great value if/WHEN Aaron Jones goes down...

I’m not a Carson owner.  Drafted Penny in my 12 team league thinking he will have standalone value.  Not the case.  And he keeps popping up with injuries.  Is he droppable?

Rashaad Penny (hamstring) is inactive for Week 6 against the Browns.

Chris Carson will have an even larger workload with C.J. Prosise filling in whenever Carson needs a breather. Carson is a locked-in RB1 this week. Penny was used sparingly last week and is more of a handcuff to Carson than a standalone flex play when he's healthy. Consider Penny questionable for Week 7. The Seahawks also declared Duane Brown, DJ Fluker, Gary Jennings, John Ursua, Branden Jackson, and Akeem King inactive.

Oct 13, 2019, 11:45 AM ET

What is up with thus guy? Missed last week. Never listed on the injury report this  week. No news whatsoever this week about him. Anybody have any info?

What is up with thus guy? Missed last week. Never listed on the injury report this  week. No news whatsoever this week about him. Anybody have any info?
Funny - I was thinking the same thing. Came here to see if there’s been any word. Quiet as a mouse - no recent news anywhere. Gotta assume he’s near full health and will get maybe 5 touches this weekend. Desperation flex is all he’d be. Great end of bench stash and wait. High powered rushing offense and don’t forget, Carson himself hasn’t exactly been the model of health. Penny is a league winner waiting to happen. Or it won’t happen. 

Funny - I was thinking the same thing. Came here to see if there’s been any word. Quiet as a mouse - no recent news anywhere. Gotta assume he’s near full health and will get maybe 5 touches this weekend. Desperation flex is all he’d be. Great end of bench stash and wait. High powered rushing offense and don’t forget, Carson himself hasn’t exactly been the model of health. Penny is a league winner waiting to happen. Or it won’t happen. 
Yeah, either they want Baltimore to forget he's on the team....or he's way back in the doghouse....

don’t forget, Carson himself hasn’t exactly been the model of health. Penny is a league winner waiting to happen. 
I always thought this too but then I looked back at his history. He missed 2017 with a broken ankle... and that's it. Penny has a longer injury history in the NFL than Carson does: 

2018 broken finger, knee sprain 

2019: hamstring strain 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not a Carson owner.  Drafted Penny in my 12 team league thinking he will have standalone value.  Not the case.  And he keeps popping up with injuries.  Is he droppable?
Penny is a guy I trade for 2020 picks the instant Carson goes down, assuming believers. 

Rashaad Penny didn't touch the ball in the Week 7 loss to the Ravens.

If he played, we didn't notice it. Penny was active after a full week of practice following his absence from a hamstring injury. C.J. Prosise mixed in for just one touch behind Chris Carson, who touched the ball 24 times. Carson has evolved into a true every-down workhorse in Seattle. Penny is just a handcuff in the event of a Carson injury with no standalone value right now.

Oct 20, 2019, 7:54 PM ET

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Rashaad Penny's usage against the Ravens in Week 7 "just worked out that way."

Penny practiced in full throughout the week and finished with two snaps to C.J. Prosise's six. Even so, Carroll didn't blame the second-year runner's two-snap usage on post-hamstring cautiousness, stating they already "had some plays" for Prosise game-planned. Penny's been an afterthought on 19.6 percent of Seattle's offensive snaps this season despite coming off the board No. 27 overall in '18. It would not be shocking to see him shopped (for less return) before next week's trade deadline.

SOURCE: Brady Henderson on Twitter

Oct 21, 2019, 1:30 PM ET

At this point if Carson goes down, it's going to be a split with Prosise and Penny -- from what I've seen from Penny this year and last, he's simply not a guy who steps in and fills Carson's role entirely. May be lingering injuries, but still looks slow and unexplosive with little creativity/vision.

Rapoport is saying teams have been in contact with Seattle about trading for Penny. Likely this doesn't actually happen or is just a story leaked by an agent or team to try to create interest. But, where would make sense NFL wise? Where would we want fantasy wise?

Detroit is an obvious spot with Kerryon on IR but I would it would surprise me if Quinn made this move and the backfield would potentially be a messy RBBC.

Tampa or Washington makes some ridiculous flailing move? 

I don't see much room out there for him. 

Rapoport is saying teams have been in contact with Seattle about trading for Penny. Likely this doesn't actually happen or is just a story leaked by an agent or team to try to create interest. But, where would make sense NFL wise? Where would we want fantasy wise?

Detroit is an obvious spot with Kerryon on IR but I would it would surprise me if Quinn made this move and the backfield would potentially be a messy RBBC.

Tampa or Washington makes some ridiculous flailing move? 

I don't see much room out there for him. 
Doesn't make much sense from Seattle POV also unless they also acquire a RB.  They going to go with Prosise as the #2 behind a guy who gets nicked up a lot?

Doesn't make much sense from Seattle POV also unless they also acquire a RB.  They going to go with Prosise as the #2 behind a guy who gets nicked up a lot?
Right, they would need a significant return. I doubt it happens. 

He's been good with not missing time, but as a Carson owner from the beginning he has been nicked up (not enough to miss time) quite a bit.  Honestly to your point though not more than any RB getting 20+ carries a game (which there are not many)...and that workload probably enhances my worry some.

Funny thing is Penny gets 1/10th the workload and is misses a ton of time.

He's been good with not missing time, but as a Carson owner from the beginning he has been nicked up (not enough to miss time) quite a bit.  Honestly to your point though not more than any RB getting 20+ carries a game (which there are not many)...and that workload probably enhances my worry some.

Funny thing is Penny gets 1/10th the workload and is misses a ton of time.
I agree, he gets banged up but plays through it. You're right any rb with a major workload is going to get banged up

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Seahawks have received calls from teams interested in Rashaad Penny leading up to Tuesday's 4 PM ET trade deadline.

Despite his first-round pedigree (though many deemed his selection at 27th overall a reach), Penny has failed to keep pace with Chris Carson, who has emerged as a legitimate NFL workhorse. That could make Penny expendable and while the Seahawks will surely command a pretty penny (no pun intended) for the former San Diego State Aztec, Rapoport's NFL Network colleague Mike Garafolo believes a trade ahead of Tuesday's deadline is certainly "possible." Penny, who has battled hamstring woes throughout his sophomore campaign, was held without a touch in last week's loss to Baltimore.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Oct 27, 2019, 8:43 AM ET

Seems like with Carson’s running style and Seattle with Super Bowl aspirations it makes sense to hold onto him.

Seems like with Carson’s running style and Seattle with Super Bowl aspirations it makes sense to hold onto him.
But there is a reason he is not getting touches. You don’t burn a first rounder on a player to not use him. Carson is great but there is something amiss with Penny. Either they don’t trust him in protection or he has an attitude problem. It will be interesting if he gets moved before Tuesday.

But there is a reason he is not getting touches. You don’t burn a first rounder on a player to not use him. Carson is great but there is something amiss with Penny. Either they don’t trust him in protection or he has an attitude problem. It will be interesting if he gets moved before Tuesday.
Not arguing he hasn't been a disappointment but that main reason is that Carson's better. Penny might not be great but they don't really have much else if Carson goes down and what could they really get for him anyway.

Not arguing he hasn't been a disappointment but that main reason is that Carson's better. Penny might not be great but they don't really have much else if Carson goes down and what could they really get for him anyway.
Agree about Carson, just find Penny’s complete lack of usage puzzling based on their investment and commitment to the running game.

My guess is he’s not a dedicated professional athlete. There has been reports of him coming in out of shape. He’s having issues pulling things, Seattle seems hesitant to trust him, rumors of a trade, etc. It’s total speculation but that’s my best guess to the Penny situation.

Rashaad Penny rushed two times for two yards in the Seahawks' Week 10 win over the 49ers.

He lost a fumble on one of the touches and was never heard from again as Chris Carson piled up 101 yards and a score on 28 touches. Penny can safely be dropped in redraft leagues. He'd only have value in the event of a Carson injury, and even then Penny wouldn't be guaranteed a big workload thanks to his lack of playmaking on limited touches this season.

Nov 12, 2019, 12:40 AM ET

Rashaad Penny rushed 14 times for 129 yards and one touchdown in the Seahawks' 17-9, Week 12 win over the Eagles.

Penny had touched the ball just 22 times since Week 2 coming into this one, so it was pretty surprising to see Penny get so involved in the offense. He out-carried Chris Carson 14-8, as Carson again lost a fumble, leading to Penny getting all the late-game clock-killing work. Penny was involved before the fumble, however, with a 58-yard touchdown run and another long gain. He wasn't a factor in the passing game. Penny earned more work moving forward and needs to be re-added wherever he was dropped in fantasy. He's still tough to trust right now as a starter.

Watched every snap of this game. There was nothing special about Penny’s performance. He was handed great opportunities with big holes. He was fast enough to get through the hole provided. 

Which just reinforces that maybe there’s nothing special about Carson either. When you play in the backfield behind Rus Wilson maybe you just need to be the guy that gets the opportunity. Carson’s fumbling issues just might hand Penny more opportunity and that’s the whole point.

Which just reinforces that maybe there’s nothing special about Carson either. When you play in the backfield behind Rus Wilson maybe you just need to be the guy that gets the opportunity. Carson’s fumbling issues just might hand Penny more opportunity and that’s the whole point.
*facepalm*

I feel like people have said this for 2 years about Carson in this thread.

I am still a Penny believer and think he just needs the chance. Fumbling in the NFL at the rate that Carson does it is not a good trait for an NFL RB. Especially when the guy behind you has averaged 5.3 yards per carry, albeit in a limited sample (135 career carries). I know some people don’t love statistic of YPC but I also don’t necessarily put much stock into Frankman’s eyeball test either, is all I’m saying.

I still dont get why suddenly penny got these chances in the game today 
Hot hand? Load management for Carson regardless on how the game went, although the team just had their bye so perhaps not? Overall, the game was weird. Seattle’s offense didn’t play well, which means yesterday’s game could mean zip long term. Penny has had good games before, and nothing (productive) happens the following week. 

Hot hand? Load management for Carson regardless on how the game went, although the team just had their bye so perhaps not? Overall, the game was weird. Seattle’s offense didn’t play well, which means yesterday’s game could mean zip long term. Penny has had good games before, and nothing (productive) happens the following week. 
They get the Vikings next week. Which means he'll probably stay on the bench in most ff leagues. 

Mario Wario said:
Load management? Scared Carson owner.

Hooper31 said:
You must not be watching Carson to say this. His broken tackle stats tell the story. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/rushing_advanced.htm
Well... not always IMO because these numbers lack some context I think. What's better than breaking a tackle?  Not having to break the tackle at all because the defender never touched you (meaning because you ran away fast enough or juked well enough). 

I think one of the reasons he fumbles, not the one I saw yesterday of course, but he's not moving fast and he doesn't go down easy, which gives the defenders lots shots at smashing him hard and punching the ball out. 

Don't get me wrong I think Carson is talented and a very good power back.  I am concerned that he won't last, either due to fumbles, getting pummeled himself as he pummel the defense, or injury. 

Hooper31 said:
Watched every snap of this game. There was nothing special about Penny’s performance. He was handed great opportunities with big holes. He was fast enough to get through the hole provided. 
Hi GB. Do you think that there's a risk that Carson loses the job? 

Hooper31 said:
Honestly I don't watch a lot of Seahawks football. Is this speed something Carson is lacking?

Users who are viewing this thread