What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Nick Chubb, CLE (1 Viewer)

MOM: SURGERY SOON FOR GEORGIA RB

According to Nick Chubb's mom, the Georgia RB will require knee surgery, but it could have been worse. "It's not nearly as bad as it could've been," La'Velle Chubb wrote on Facebook, adding that her son tore his posterior cruciate ligament in Saturday's game. "They'll wait for swelling to go down to decide when to have surgery. Possibly two [weeks], Nick is in good spirits."

According to Nick Chubb's mom, the Georgia RB will require knee surgery, but it could have been worse. "It's not nearly as bad as it could've been," La'Velle Chubb wrote on Facebook, adding that her son tore his posterior cruciate ligament in Saturday's game. "They'll wait for swelling to go down to decide when to have surgery. Possibly two [weeks], Nick is in good spirits."
That's good news. Reminded me on Napolean McCallum when it happened. I love this kids talent and hope he comes back even stronger.

She said it was the PCL and two other ligaments - best case is his ACL is intact and the other two are MCL and LCL.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's got 20 months to recover before the next draft. Gurley went top 10 five months after his injury. Plenty of opportunity for a happy ending.
Hoping it isn't too serious, that's he done playing college ball, and he's fully recovered by the 2017 draft.
He'll be playing college bal again next year. I don't think this is anything to worry about long term.Michel now gets to show he's worthy of a 2nd or 3rd round pick as well. The UGA RB factory rolls on.
He'd be stupid to ever set foot on a college field again. You college fans would love it - even if he ends up like Lattimore.

He's got 20 months to recover before the next draft. Gurley went top 10 five months after his injury. Plenty of opportunity for a happy ending.
Hoping it isn't too serious, that's he done playing college ball, and he's fully recovered by the 2017 draft.
He'll be playing college bal again next year. I don't think this is anything to worry about long term.Michel now gets to show he's worthy of a 2nd or 3rd round pick as well. The UGA RB factory rolls on.
He'd be stupid to ever set foot on a college field again. You college fans would love it - even if he ends up like Lattimore.
This. Chubb should sit out next season.

Ugh, just brutal to see. I'm totally onboard with Fournette sitting out next year. And hopefully more people will follow suit until the NCAA/NFL get their act together.
While in a lot of ways I agree - after the 5th death of a high school player this past week I don't think the NFL is all about getting younger players on the field.

Why would he pass out? Never heard of that before with a knee injury.
Fairly frequent with tramatic/painful injuries. Just heard speculation on ESPN about it being a broken bone, which would certainly fit the bill.

I'm really sick of the stranglehold the NFL/NCAA's collusion has over these athletes. If he would have left last year no doubt would he have gone pretty high in the draft.
Unless he's Marcus Lattimore.
Yes I forgot what happened to Lattimore will happen to every other elite RB. Ezekiel Elloitt's been warned.
Hey doctor, we don't even have a diagnosis yet. His injury could be ok. It also may not. Fact is, he's injured and nobody knows.

Glass half-full folks will say he will be fine. But that's all they are at this point... glass half-full folks.

Unless, of course, you have some actual informational insights you would like to add?
Why u mad? All I said is he's got plenty of time for a happy ending, which there is. I was responding to someone implying he lost his chance to go high in the draft and make a lot of money, which is not necessarily the case. You seem to agree with me, since you bring up that we don't know anything yet. Fact is there have been many nasty leg injuries people have recovered from, Lattimore being one of them. Unfortunately for him he had a second one.

Have a donut and relax dude.

Wonder how far the injury has him dropping in devy drafts this year.  He and Fournette were 1-2 at one point.
I prefer that his value continue to be depressed. I am personally afraid he will never play another down again. 

Georgia senior RB Nick Chubb (knee) took the final spot on Mel Kiper's 2017 top-25 prospect rankings.
"Health and mileage are concerns, as Chubb was lost to a knee injury last season after getting 219 carries as a freshman," he wrote. "But assuming he's able-bodied, Chubb is a great combination of size, speed and vision." Chubb tore the PCL and a pair of ligaments in his left knee on Oct. 10 against Tennessee. The good news is that Georgia has consistently reported that he's either on or ahead of his recovery schedule.

Source: ESPN.com 
May 12 - 7:00 PM

Based on conversations with orthopedic experts, Gridiron Now's Tony Barnhart said that he is "going to be surprised" if Georgia senior RB Nick Chubb plays early in 2016.
"The orthopedic people that I’ve talked to say from the date you injure the way he injured that knee, it’s a calendar year," Barnhart told 1010XL in Jacksonville. Chubb suffered his left knee injury on the team's first offensive series against Tennessee on October 10. HC Kirby Smart has played the "cautiously optimistic" card when it comes to the 5-foot-10, 228-pound senior, but has not committed to Chubb starting the season-opener against North Carolina on September 3. We should have a much better idea of Chubb's recovery and readiness when preseason camp boots up in August. The yearlong rehab timetable Barnhart cites is by no means hard and fast for every player.

Source: 247sports.com
May 28 - 6:01 PM

Not in terms of eligibility. He graduated from HS in 2014. The 2016 season will be his third at Georgia.

Georgia junior RB Nick Chubb's "combination of power running with breakaway ability should again make him one of the nation’s best backs," writes Pro Football Focus' Jeff Dooley.
PFF graded Chubb as the sixth-best running back in the country two seasons ago, his last healthy campaign. The 5-foot-10, 228-pounder tore the PCL and a pair of ligaments in his left knee on Oct. 10 against Tennessee. We'd bet on him starting the opener against North Carolina on September 3, but that's no guarantee.

Source: Pro Football Focus
Jun 8 - 7:15 PM

Pro Football Focus ranks Georgia junior RB Nick Chubb No. 6 in its preseason Heisman rankings.
Chubb, who has tallied a 7.4 yards per carry average in two years campus, ranked third in the nation with an elusive rating of 108.5 last fall. "Opponents stood no chance when trying to tackle Chubb as they bounced off his regularly, and perhaps most impressive, he then showed the speed to create big plays," wrote Steve Palazzolo. "Georgia got inconsistent quarterback play a year ago, and this year may be more of the same, so look for Chubb to carry the offense."

Source: Pro Football Focus

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/georgia-open-practice-observations-the-non-quarterback-edition

The requisite Nick Chubb analysis: He absorbed some hits with no apparent problem. But there was no tackling to the ground in this practice. So that’s presumably the next test, but once again Chubb looks on track. He made some cuts during 11-on-11 drills, and didn’t appear tentative or limited in any way at all … at least when he was in there. Chubb didn’t get many snaps at all during 11-on-11s at the tail end of practice.

Just saw on ESPN ticker, Chubb has been officially medically cleared to play with no limitations for season opener. 

He is the best RB/WR in the country if he's 100%. Honestly much better than Fournette.
Chubb is a stud no doubt. I can see him possibly failing along the LT >> Chubb >>> Jonathan Stewart spectrum if he is 100%.  I just don't think he's much better than Fournette, as a matter of fact I think it's a lot closer than you think.  I think Fournette improved last year from his frosh year. Fournette is a man child and is one of just a handful of RBs that, I think, could have jumped to the pros after his frosh year in the past 35yrs - along with Herschel and AP. I think Fournette fails along the Corey Diilon/Fournette > Ottis Anderson > George Rogers spectrum.

Fournette's size/speed combo is insane, but Chubb's cuts >> Fournette's cuts.

Chubb is the same height/weight/speed, but with much better lateral ability. He is one of the best college backs I've ever seen.

Fournette is good. Just not as good as hyped. I think I like at least three college backs more than him (Chubb, Barkley, Guice).

Chubb is a stud no doubt. I can see him possibly failing along the LT >> Chubb >>> Jonathan Stewart spectrum if he is 100%.  I just don't think he's much better than Fournette, as a matter of fact I think it's a lot closer than you think.  I think Fournette improved last year from his frosh year. Fournette is a man child and is one of just a handful of RBs that, I think, could have jumped to the pros after his frosh year in the past 35yrs - along with Herschel and AP. I think Fournette fails along the Corey Diilon/Fournette > Ottis Anderson > George Rogers spectrum.
Fournette is limited in what he can do, specifically scheme-wise.  Chubb, and many other RBs in this class, don't have those limitations.  Fournette can't create behind the LOS very well.  His production went down significantly when he lost his starting Fullback JD Moore.  He can side step defenders very well, but that's not really "cutting".  His combination of power/speed isn't better than guys like Chubb, Perine, Hood, Freeman such that he is generating more yards after contact.

P.S. Fournette's teammate Derrius Guice is better anyway.

P.S.S. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ch_ffIpVEAAI2g8.jpg

Fournette is limited in what he can do, specifically scheme-wise.  Chubb, and many other RBs in this class, don't have those limitations.  Fournette can't create behind the LOS very well.  His production went down significantly when he lost his starting Fullback JD Moore.  He can side step defenders very well, but that's not really "cutting".  His combination of power/speed isn't better than guys like Chubb, Perine, Hood, Freeman such that he is generating more yards after contact.

P.S. Fournette's teammate Derrius Guice is better anyway.

P.S.S. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ch_ffIpVEAAI2g8.jpg
Fournette is probably the biggest hyped RB since AP and the AP comparisons are unfair.  He's been analized by tons of scouts and analysts and picked apart as too many people are trying to compare him to AP.  

Fournette is a big strong downhill runner make no mistake.  High end, I see him possibly as a slightly better Corey Dillon, low end perhaps Larry Johnson. The 2017 RB class looks loaded with some high end talent.  Don't buy the AP hype thrown at Fournette when he was in HS but don't overlook him either.  In the correct scheme he will be a very very good pro. 

This is the Chubb thread so I'd rather not debate Fournette in here that much.  I like Chubb and I think he could be the player that everyone touted/expected Jonathan Stewart to be as Chubb reminds me of Stewart but with more wiggle and more elusiveness.  Can't wait to see how this class pans out down the road - who we were right on, who we were wrong on and who we missed as this RB class has the makings of being great.

Fournette's size/speed combo is insane, but Chubb's cuts >> Fournette's cuts.

Chubb is the same height/weight/speed, but with much better lateral ability. He is one of the best college backs I've ever seen.

Fournette is good. Just not as good as hyped. I think I like at least three college backs more than him (Chubb, Barkley, Guice).
Earl Campbell, Marcus Allen, Herschel Walker, Dickerson, Barry Sanders, Marshall Faulk, LT and AP all were college studs and some of the greatest ever in the pros.  Just how high does Chubb rank on your list and who is your comp for Chubb as you're talking like he belongs in the conversation with these guys. Pretty high praise.

Fournette is probably the biggest hyped RB since AP and the AP comparisons are unfair.  He's been analized by tons of scouts and analysts and picked apart as too many people are trying to compare him to AP.  

Fournette is a big strong downhill runner make no mistake.  High end, I see him possibly as a slightly better Corey Dillon, low end perhaps Larry Johnson. The 2017 RB class looks loaded with some high end talent.  Don't buy the AP hype thrown at Fournette when he was in HS but don't overlook him either.  In the correct scheme he will be a very very good pro. 

This is the Chubb thread so I'd rather not debate Fournette in here that much.  I like Chubb and I think he could be the player that everyone touted/expected Jonathan Stewart to be as Chubb reminds me of Stewart but with more wiggle and more elusiveness.  Can't wait to see how this class pans out down the road - who we were right on, who we were wrong on and who we missed as this RB class has the makings of being great.
Jesus. No wonder he can't move well.

Earl Campbell, Marcus Allen, Herschel Walker, Dickerson, Barry Sanders, Marshall Faulk, LT and AP all were college studs and some of the greatest ever in the pros.  Just how high does Chubb rank on your list and who is your comp for Chubb as you're talking like he belongs in the conversation with these guys. Pretty high praise.
I wasn't watching college football when most of those guys were playing, but he's the best I've seen since Trent Richardson. Hindsight is going to change how I look at that one given how awful Richardson was in the NFL. Chubb has him beaten for speed and decisiveness I think.

Peterson was about 10 years ago. Chubb is one of the top 2 RB prospects to come along since then, if not #1. He doesn't have Peterson's quick feet. Peterson's feet in college were amazing, and he had great speed and pretty good power too. Chubb is a lot bigger than Peterson and almost as fast, but not as quick.

If he's 100%, I like him more than Gurley and Zeke. He is the real deal. No flaws. Let's see if he's at the same level when he plays this season though. It's not a given that he's going to come back and be the same guy he was last year.

Others saw it too...Will he come back as good as before, that is the only question imo

Georgia sophomore RB Nick Chubb is already "as talented" as Todd Gurley, according to NFL Media's Lance Zierlein.

"Tape of Chubb was just as, if not more impressive than what I saw from Gurley when I wrote my draft profile. Chubb's balance is elite," Zierlein tweeted. Obviously this is high praise for Gurley, who was selected witht he No. 10 overall pick this April. Chubb saw a lot of playing time as a freshman due to Gurley's suspension and injury, and he displayed ridiculous skills. Chubb also might be one of the best athletes in the country at any position.

Even Fournette saw it

LSU sophomore RB Leonard Fournette believes "hands down, (Georgia sophomore) Nick Chubb is the best running back in the SEC."

Chubb might be the best running back in the nation, but Fournette was the one generating all the buzz out of high school. Both produced quality freshman campaigns and are expected to be the foundation of their respective offenses. Georgia does have more depth at the position.

I wasn't watching college football when most of those guys were playing, but he's the best I've seen since Trent Richardson. Hindsight is going to change how I look at that one given how awful Richardson was in the NFL. Chubb has him beaten for speed and decisiveness I think.

Peterson was about 10 years ago. Chubb is one of the top 2 RB prospects to come along since then, if not #1. He doesn't have Peterson's quick feet. Peterson's feet in college were amazing, and he had great speed and pretty good power too. Chubb is a lot bigger than Peterson and almost as fast, but not as quick.

If he's 100%, I like him more than Gurley and Zeke. He is the real deal. No flaws. Let's see if he's at the same level when he plays this season though. It's not a given that he's going to come back and be the same guy he was last year.
I was trying to get into context when you said one of the best college RBs you've seen. So you dont go that far back but you know your stuff. I'm sticking with my comp for Chubb as a better Jonathan Stewart, perhaps even a Shaun Alexander comp for Chubb. Lofty praise but I'm not ready to anoint him the best RB prospect in college right now.  I want to see how he looks post injury.  As I've said I think this years crop is very deep and I want to see another year of both Chubb and Fournette before crowning someone the alpha dog,

Chubb is the best college RB that I've seen since I started looking at RB prospects (which was with the Trent Richardson / Doug Martin / David Wilson draft class).

I was trying to get into context when you said one of the best college RBs you've seen. So you dont go that far back but you know your stuff. I'm sticking with my comp for Chubb as a better Jonathan Stewart, perhaps even a Shaun Alexander comp for Chubb. Lofty praise but I'm not ready to anoint him the best RB prospect in college right now.  I want to see how he looks post injury.  As I've said I think this years crop is very deep and I want to see another year of both Chubb and Fournette before crowning someone the alpha dog,

Well, we've seen two years of them and Chubb was better in both. Higher YPC, more long runs, etc. I also think he just flat out looks better. The only question is whether or not he can return to that level. If they're both healthy, I don't think it's really close. Fournette isn't in the same league. He is overhyped. 

Next year's RB class is strong, but not necessarily loaded in terms of elite guys. I think Chubb is the only really elite guy. Fournette's size/speed will land him in the first round. I could see Cook and/or Freeman pushing for a first round spot. Then maybe Perine, McCaffrey, Hood, Hurd, and Mixon in the 2nd-4th range. Maybe a senior back like Clement sneaks in there as well. There are also usually some late-risers who come out of nowhere, which could change the equation. 

I think it's a really deep class, but in terms of can't-miss types, I think Chubb is the only one who looks special. The rest range from just "okay" to "really good", IMO. Looking backward, I'd take Elliott or Gurley over anyone besides Chubb. Looking ahead, I'd take Guice or Barkley over anyone besides Chubb. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Freeman or Perine on my roster and would've taken them ahead of any RB in the 2016 draft besides Zeke, but they're not superfreak level talents. 

Well, we've seen two years of them and Chubb was better in both. Higher YPC, more long runs, etc. I also think he just flat out looks better. The only question is whether or not he can return to that level. If they're both healthy, I don't think it's really close. Fournette isn't in the same league. He is overhyped. 

Next year's RB class is strong, but not necessarily loaded in terms of elite guys. I think Chubb is the only really elite guy. Fournette's size/speed will land him in the first round. I could see Cook and/or Freeman pushing for a first round spot. Then maybe Perine, McCaffrey, Hood, Hurd, and Mixon in the 2nd-4th range. Maybe a senior back like Clement sneaks in there as well. There are also usually some late-risers who come out of nowhere, which could change the equation. 

I think it's a really deep class, but in terms of can't-miss types, I think Chubb is the only one who looks special. The rest range from just "okay" to "really good", IMO. Looking backward, I'd take Elliott or Gurley over anyone besides Chubb. Looking ahead, I'd take Guice or Barkley over anyone besides Chubb. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Freeman or Perine on my roster and would've taken them ahead of any RB in the 2016 draft besides Zeke, but they're not superfreak level talents. 
I get it, Chubbs stats are better and he looks better so in your eyes it's not even close. I wish it was so easy.  

For instance

Player A. 6 200lbs 386 / 2956 yds 7.7 ypc 20 rush TDs electric return man 22nd overall pick from SEC school

Player B 5 11 199lbs 533 / 3328 6.2 ypc 36TD sub 4.4 40yds dash. 73rd overall pick in same draft as player A out of Big 12 school

or even

Player C. 5 11 214lbs 924 / 5140 5.6 ypc 77 TD. Highly prolific college RB taken 58th overall from Big 10 school

Player D 6 1 240lbs 671 / 3346 5.0ypc 33 TD. Taken 48th overall n same draft as player C from Big 10 school

Here are two of top RB from their respective classes with a brief statistical comparison.  In the first instance you could make a case for either one but A was taken 22nd overall while B was a 3rd choice.  In the second comparison player C had an outstanding career and both were 2nd round picks.

Player A Felix Jones

Player B Jamaal Charles

Player C Montee Ball 

Player D Le'Veon Bell

Their NFL careers of of both of the two players in each example turned out very different.  What is my point, Chubb is a great prospect but I don't think  he's the second coming of Emmitt Smith, or even the unquestionable top RB is college today. He's in the conversation for sure.  Fournette is probably the most hyped prospect since AP but I'd bet all I have of him not being the next Trent Richardson.  I'm not going all in on any one guy, the more I see of these guys the better informed I can be.  The only sure thing is there are no sure things.

EBF - I agree with you on Chubb.  He's special.  I definitely like him better than Fournette and IF he comes back healthy and doesn't miss a beat this season, he'll be in my top 2.

I think you're missing the boat on Christian McCaffrey.  Is he even in your top 5 RBs in this class?  When I first watched him, I thought his line did a lot of work and maybe they did to some degree.  But the more I watched him, I just realized he makes it look easy because he is that good.  His 'moves' are subtle and his anticipation and vision are elite. I'm really excited to see how he performs this season.  If he does anything close to what he accomplished last season, he's a top 5 RB in the draft next year.  Until Chubb proves he is healthy and studly, McCaffrey, at this very moment, is my top RB of the 2017 draft class.

Sorry to get slightly OT there.

McCaffrey is a unique guy and I don't really know what to make of him. When I don't have a strong feeling about a player, I try to stay away. I think there's a chance he can be really good. He's pretty fast. Maybe sub 4.50. He's not Sproles or McCoy, but he can cut pretty well. He can catch the ball. With mobility and versatility, I think he fits the direction where the NFL is headed. RBs who can do more than just run are big right now. His listed height-weight of 6'0/197 is going to scare some people because those aren't conventional featured back dimensions. On the field he doesn't look thin to me though. He's definitely not going to be a pile pusher in the NFL, but he at least looks like he can handle work without breaking. I think some team is going to have a vision for him and take him early. I don't see him falling out of the 2nd round. Whether or not he can get into the first round, I don't really know. Like I said, he doesn't fit a mold, and that makes him tough to project.

Users who are viewing this thread