What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Melvin Gordon, BAL (1 Viewer)

Well he's officially out now. Can any local guys chime in with anything?  Did he do anything or make any progress?

Looks like next week might be tough to count on him as well. 
Bloom just tweeted that. Chances are slim that he will be able to play on TNF. Of all weeks for them to have to play on Thursday night. 

well in one league I have a bye, and I am starting both Ekeler and Justin Jax, (still playing for a point title, and the points this week count toward that), other options are drake, McCoy and d.Martin, so I figure why not.

I don't think they will have him next Thursday either, but I hope the splits vs Cincy give us a clue as to who to play on Thursday. I don't want to play both again

Bloom just tweeted that. Chances are slim that he will be able to play on TNF. Of all weeks for them to have to play on Thursday night. 
Ya what I was thinking as well and not what I want to see.  Went 11-2 on the season will a solid team and my RB depth was my weak point.  Have a bye this week and was hopeful he was at least running on a bike by now.

Not looking good

well in one league I have a bye, and I am starting both Ekeler and Justin Jax, (still playing for a point title, and the points this week count toward that), other options are drake, McCoy and d.Martin, so I figure why not.

I don't think they will have him next Thursday either, but I hope the splits vs Cincy give us a clue as to who to play on Thursday. I don't want to play both again
IMO, Lynn’s comments were quite telling. His remark about Ekeler wearing down seems to be the reason they will use to justify Jackson getting a bigger workload. If they go up early, look for JJ to get a lot of touches in the 2nd half. 

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, Lynn’s comments were quite telling. His remark about Ekeler wearing down seems to be the reason they will use to justify Jackson getting a bigger workload. If they go up early, look for JJ to get a lot of touches in the 2nd half. 
You play to win the game, Ekeler has disappointed in his two starts vs Tennessee and Pittsburgh....I image he gets the start vs Cincy but if he struggles they will switch in Justin Jackson earlier and more often, maybe even making Ekeler into the 3rd down COP role., which maybe he is better suited for.

You play to win the game, Ekeler has disappointed in his two starts vs Tennessee and Pittsburgh....I image he gets the start vs Cincy but if he struggles they will switch in Justin Jackson earlier and more often, maybe even making Ekeler into the 3rd down COP role., which maybe he is better suited for.
When I see Ekeler, I see James White and  Cohen.  They may pop off a few decent inside runs, but theyre electric in space with the ball.

So I've been bummed out this week because I don't have Ekeler on my roster as a cuff for Gordon.  And someone snagged Justin Jackson one spot ahead of me this week.  

I actually could have had Jackson a few weeks ago but had him as my second choice that week behind

wait for it

Spencer Ware, who's now ready to step right in to my lineup. :lmao: this ####in' hobby
Lol clutch. The Chargers are talking like Ek will be near bellcow duty so I'm not sure Jackson would be a strong play anyway. Guess you lucked out.
Starting to wonder now.

Ya what I was thinking as well and not what I want to see.  Went 11-2 on the season will a solid team and my RB depth was my weak point.  Have a bye this week and was hopeful he was at least running on a bike by now.

Not looking good
I’m starting to think he won’t play on Thursday. Chargers beat writer Gilbert Manzano (OC Register) doesn’t think he will play against KC. I’m starting to make other plans for next week that don’t include Gordon where I have him.

I’m starting to think he won’t play on Thursday. Chargers beat writer Gilbert Manzano (OC Register) doesn’t think he will play against KC. I’m starting to make other plans for next week that don’t include Gordon where I have him.
I'm glad I have a bye this week. I also don't expect him next week and maybe this week gives us a hint as to how Jackson and Ekeler will be used.

Chargers are right in the mix for the #1 seed in the AFC. 

Big game this Thursday. 

We’ve got that going for us at least. I’d say I’m not surprised he hasn’t practiced given the fact it’s a short week.

I’m still optimistic he suits up against the Chiefs.

Melvin Gordon (knee) remained sidelined at Monday's practice.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said on Sunday that Gordon "could play" Thursday night in Week 15 against the Chiefs. One of us "could" also win the lottery. Gordon hasn't seemed particularly close to a return and is now on a short week. With Austin Ekeler (neck) also sidelined Monday, rookies Justin Jackson and Detrez Newsome are the Chargers' current healthy running backs.

Dec 10 - 10:10 PM

I don't see how he plays on a short week.  And there is zero chance Ekeler clears the concussion protocol by Thursday.

I don't see how he plays on a short week.  And there is zero chance Ekeler clears the concussion protocol by Thursday.
While I agree on that, Gordon was limited in practice today though! That is progress. 
And it's not like he's beat up from playing a game on Sunday.  If he was close last week he should be healthier (IDK if you can get out of "game shape" this quickly from not practicing)

Looks like there is some hope. Let's go Melvin

Melvin Gordon (knee) returned to Chargers practice Tuesday, getting in a limited session.

There is now a real chance that Gordon returns from his two-game absence against the Chiefs on Thursday. For his part, Gordon has said he expects to be a game-time decision. If Gordon does suit up, it's possible he will not be in for his usual workload, though Austin Ekeler (concussion) is expected to be sidelined.

Well, it's probably between him and Ware for me, so one way or the other I've got someone going Thursday night (unless they're both out :sadbanana: )

This is crazy - will he be limited? A decoy?  Short yardage? Just because they have no other bodies, maybe 10 touches?

Never had such a difficult decision because a Thursday night game - mixed with Saturday games!

Have to start two - Melvin Gordon, Damian Williams, Justin Jackson, OBJ, Chubb.

The schedule mixed with injuries is a killer.

RotoWire) According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, "it will be challenging" for Gordon (knee) to suit up Thursday night at Kansas City.

Analysis: Gordon was initially given a 2-to-4 week timetable for his return from a Grade-2 MCL sprain, and the Thursday night matchup lies 18 days since that diagnosis. Schefter notes that a final determination will be made on Gordon during pregame warmups, but his tone did not appear to be overly optimistic. In any case, anyone considering rostering Gordon this week will need to pay careful attention to the inactives announcement that will occur approximately 90 minutes prior to the 8:20 p.m. EST kickoff.

RotoWire) According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, "it will be challenging" for Gordon (knee) to suit up Thursday night at Kansas City.

Analysis: Gordon was initially given a 2-to-4 week timetable for his return from a Grade-2 MCL sprain, and the Thursday night matchup lies 18 days since that diagnosis. Schefter notes that a final determination will be made on Gordon during pregame warmups, but his tone did not appear to be overly optimistic. In any case, anyone considering rostering Gordon this week will need to pay careful attention to the inactives announcement that will occur approximately 90 minutes prior to the 8:20 p.m. EST kickoff.
Good find. Really thinking it's Jackson that goes tonight. Semi-Final Matchup as most of us are in and I'll be stating Damien Williams & Justin Jackson. What a while ride this season has been and continuing to be.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/12111/troymaine-pope

Chargers promoted RB Troymaine Pope from their practice squad.

This is a bad sign for Melvin Gordon (knee, game-time decision). Pope carried the ball 12 times in 2016 for the Jets and Seahawks, but he has bounced around practice squads since. He will back up Justin Jackson if Gordon is not able to play. Dec 13 - 10:19 AM

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

This is usually a sign that somebody is not playing. In this case, Gordon.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/12111/troymaine-pope

Chargers promoted RB Troymaine Pope from their practice squad.

This is a bad sign for Melvin Gordon (knee, game-time decision). Pope carried the ball 12 times in 2016 for the Jets and Seahawks, but he has bounced around practice squads since. He will back up Justin Jackson if Gordon is not able to play. Dec 13 - 10:19 AM

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

This is usually a sign that somebody is not playing. In this case, Gordon.
I agree, they are short with Ekeler being out as well but this likely means Gordon is out, or will be limited if he plays.

Deciding between Damian Williams and Justin Jackson to pair with Rivers/K. Allen

I agree, they are short with Ekeler being out as well but this likely means Gordon is out, or will be limited if he plays.

Deciding between Damian Williams and Justin Jackson to pair with Rivers/K. Allen
Don't scare me with this "limited" stuff. If he's active, how do you sit him? Then he'll get 4 carries for 7 yards and be done.

Don't scare me with this "limited" stuff. If he's active, how do you sit him? Then he'll get 4 carries for 7 yards and be done.
+1

If he's this iffy at this point, I hope he just sits. And I do think he will. They are a playoff team and he is important to them. I wouldn't think they would mess around until he's really ready go.

Good find. Really thinking it's Jackson that goes tonight. Semi-Final Matchup as most of us are in and I'll be stating Damien Williams & Justin Jackson. What a while ride this season has been and continuing to be.
Ditto. Definitely one of the weirdest seasons that I can remember. Last time I was in this spot grabbing randos off the waivers I had Billy Volek and my opponent had Drew Bennett. Scoring math didn't work my way that time. 

Ditto. Definitely one of the weirdest seasons that I can remember. Last time I was in this spot grabbing randos off the waivers I had Billy Volek and my opponent had Drew Bennett. Scoring math didn't work my way that time. 
It’s bizarre too. I needed WRs badly, pretty set at RB. Had the #1 waiver claim and spent it on Tre’Quan Smith after his breakout game, figuring nobody wolf the while would come along and here are these guys and I was able to snag them both.

holy cripes man that was a while ago.  I had both those guys & Bennett went off for about 2 TDs & 250 yrds.  May have been a Monday night game?

I'm old.

Based on this practice squad news, I'm benching him.  I may not even bother to look at inactives.  I don't even want to deal with active but limited anguish.

Melvin Gordon has been pushing to play and there is no decision yet. Troymaine Pope’s ascension is insurance if their star can’t go tonight.

Quote Tweet

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

The #Chargers are promoting RB Troymaine Pope from the practice squad for tonight’s game against the #Chiefs, source said. He’s bounced around, waiting for an opportunity, and the knee injury to Melvin Gordon paved the way. Obviously not a great sign for Gordon.

10:18 AM · Dec 13, 2018 · TweetDeck

We need to address Jackson’s likely stat line.  I’m legit considering him over Dalvin Cook and Fournette.  Am I nuts 
Probably. We really have no idea how much work Jackson sees if Gordon is out. They could still RBBC it. I couldn't start him over Fournette's 25+ touches against a team that has half their roster on IR.

Probably. We really have no idea how much work Jackson sees if Gordon is out. They could still RBBC it. I couldn't start him over Fournette's 25+ touches against a team that has half their roster on IR.
Well if ekeler and gordon are out Justin jax gets the bulk of carries and screens...with newsome as the #2....again a stupid move having super on special teams inside kick .....ugh that team

Well if ekeler and gordon are out Justin jax gets the bulk of carries and screens...with newsome as the #2....again a stupid move having super on special teams inside kick .....ugh that team
Well, all Gordon owners probably wouldn’t be here (debating on using JJ or not) if that offensive play wasn’t called in the Zona game. Yes, I still blame bad luck on Gordon getting hurt that weekend and you never know about the Pitt game, yet it was the Chargers that called that play...having Ekeler out there for that onside kick last week now?

No one can predict the future, just so frustrating to see.

Anyone have an update on his status?
Nothing very new:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports it will be "challenging" for Melvin Gordon (knee) to play Thursday night against the Chiefs.

Schefter says the Chargers will not make their final decision until pre-game warmups, but it sounds like Gordon is on the wrong side of questionable. If he sits, Justin Jackson will be a top-15 fantasy runner in a great matchup against the Chiefs. Dec 13 - 9:18 AM

Latest update on Gordon was he was pushing to play. 

I personally think he suits up but that's just going on a whim

Jeff Darlington just said on ESPN he’s in the building and basically is pushing to let him TEST it in pregame warmups for them to decide. 

if he is active Im playing him....if he screws me he screws me....might even put Justin Jax in too as insurance, there are points to be had.
I was saying Jackson becomes unstartable, not Gordon.

Wet field, team is already going to the playoffs, don’t be an idiot, Melvin!

And here I was, after contemplating who to start out of Williams, Henry or Drake and was finally content with my choice. Now if Gordon plays, can you bench him?

Users who are viewing this thread