What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Latavius Murray, BUF (4 Viewers)

I think the learning curve for a RB in the NFL is more about pass blocking, if you can run, not put the ball on the ground, AND pass block, your in line to take a few carries...Will he unseat DMC doubt it until he get's hurt again, then who know's???

We're also forgetting about Marcel Reese in this discussion, no? Do we anticipate his role staying the same whether or not DMC goes down?
I respect Reese. He's a good runner with a ton of skills in the passing game and a proven NFL commodity. He performed better than DMC last year. That's another reason why keeping McFadden around for big money seems crazy to me. Reece is nice but he's not as physically talented as DMC or Murray. If DMC goes down he likely has the same amount of value but Im still taking Murray.

I'm a huge Latavius Murray fan and had the chance to see him play live a bunch the last couple years.

Although he has all the physical gifts in the world, Murray is one of the most frustrating players to root for. Some replys to various comments:

The ACL tear 2 years ago is never a good thing, but even more concerning is him hurting himself game 1 last year in college and now having an "undisclosed" foot injury. He just seems like the kind of guy that if he can make it through a few games he will be ok, but he comes right out the shoot going 1000 mph and it's ready yet. It's like a pitcher dialing it up for a complete game, game 1.

The fact that he runs "so upright" is nit-picking at best.

The fact that he played for UCF and not Alabama shouldn't mean anything. Chris Johnson (E. Carolina) played in the same conference (and was a hometown UCF commit until he couldn't get grades), Forte (Tulane) and Bradshaw (Marshall) played in the same conference. Morris played in a worse conference and Mathews playing at Fresno State isn't any better. Plus guys like Rice and McCoy played in the Big East, which wasn't exactly the SEC either. My take on it is that these mid major rb's with talent have to deal with mid level o-lines and qb's as well. Try being a stud rb when your wildcat qb was your qb as a freshman and the wr split out right was your qb your sophomore and junior years. You have to love the 3qb's on the field wrinkle.

The negative on Murray will always be if he does get a chance (which isn't 100% in stone), you will watch every week wondering when he may get hurt or just saying "get down" instead of taking on a head on hit. Never a fun way to spend your Sunday. Talent alone, there is no reason to think the guy can't be a legitimate NFL running back by 2015, but in 2013, unless you have Run DMC and no viable other option as a replacement, he becomes an H back full time with RUN DMC on the field as well or you have a keeper league based off of draft position, I'm not sure he is going to do ya any good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a huge Latavius Murray fan and had the chance to see him play live a bunch the last couple years.

Although he has all the physical gifts in the world, Murray is one of the most frustrating players to root for. Some replys to various comments:

The ACL tear 2 years ago is never a good thing, but even more concerning is him hurting himself game 1 last year in college and now having an "undisclosed" foot injury. He just seems like the kind of guy that if he can make it through a few games he will be ok, but he comes right out the shoot going 1000 mph and it's ready yet. It's like a pitcher dialing it up for a complete game, game 1.

The fact that he runs "so upright" is nit-picking at best.

The fact that he played for UCF and not Alabama shouldn't mean anything. Chris Johnson (E. Carolina) played in the same conference (and was a hometown UCF commit until he couldn't get grades), Forte (Tulane) and Bradshaw (Marshall) played in the same conference. Morris played in a worse conference and Mathews playing at Fresno State isn't any better. Plus guys like Rice and McCoy played in the Big East, which wasn't exactly the SEC either. My take on it is that these mid major rb's with talent have to deal with mid level o-lines and qb's as well. Try being a stud rb when your wildcat qb was your qb as a freshman and the wr split out right was your qb your sophomore and junior years. You have to love the 3qb's on the field wrinkle.

The negative on Murray will always be if he does get a chance (which isn't 100% in stone), you will watch every week wondering when he may get hurt or just saying "get down" instead of taking on a head on hit. Never a fun way to spend your Sunday. Talent alone, there is no reason to think the guy can't be a legitimate NFL running back by 2015, but in 2013, unless you have Run DMC and no viable other option as a replacement, he becomes an H back full time with RUN DMC on the field as well or you have a keeper league based off of draft position, I'm not sure he is going to do ya any good.
Great first post, welcome to the boards.

NFL Films' Greg Cosell speaks highly of Raiders' 2013 draft classWritten by Asher Mathews on

01 July 2013.

Excerpt:

Latavius Murray:

I was really fascinated by Latavius Murray, the running back from Central Florida. He’s 6’2, 6’2” and a half, 223 lbs. He reminded me, in some ways, of Demarco Murray.

I think he’s a bit of an upright runner but he’s got burst, he’s got deceptive measured speed. He’s the kind of guy that, when he gets out into the open field he got a lot of long runs. Now, obviously, Central Florida was playing some teams that you don’t view as major college. But, when he got out into the open field it didn’t necessarily look like he’d run away from people, but he did.

I think he would work best in a power/counter-type scheme, not in a zone scheme. He’s a bit upright due to his height and length and at times some stiffness showed up in his movement because of that. He’s also more straight-line, linear [speed] than [he is] laterally quick.

I thought he was a good receiver, too, by the way. Again, that’s why the kid is drafted in the sixth round but, you know, I think his size, his speed – he’s got a chance.

Rotoworld:

Raiders rookie RB Latavius Murray has missed more than a week of training camp with an undisclosed injury.
Murray missed June minicamp with a foot injury, and CSN Bay Area believes his chances of winning Oakland's backup job to Darren McFadden have been "hindered." Look for Rashad Jennings to be McFadden's top caddy in Week 1.

Source: CSN Bay Area

Rotoworld:

Raiders coach Dennis Allen recently called out rookie RB Latavius Murray for his need to become "accountable."
Murray had a solid preseason opener with 29 yards on eight carries and two nice runs negated by penalty, but he's been out of practice more than in during his first training camp. "Being available and being accountable are two things that we have to make sure we’re able to be," said Allen. Allen called Murray into his office for a one-on-one meeting. Murray remains behind Rashad Jennings.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

Rotoworld:

Raiders rookie RB Latavius Murray had his ankle scoped on Tuesday.
Murray's ankle has held him out for the majority of camp, and he's been dealing with a "sore foot" as far back as minicamp. He's doubtful for Week 1. The news cements underwhelming veteran Rashad Jennings as Darren McFadden's primary backup. It's just bad luck, but the Raiders have had a remarkably difficult time keeping GM Reggie McKenzie's draft class healthy. Murray has no fantasy appeal outside of Dynasty leagues.

Source: Vittorio Tafur on Twitter

I like the attempts at comparing him to other players, but the obvious match is Robert Smith.

Smith: 6' 2" 212 lbs.

Murray: 6' 2" 223 lbs.

Smith was also deceptively fast and ran in a similar style.

He is hurt enough right now that you might be able to stash him on your IR depending on your rules for re-activating. If you need this guy this season you are in trouble. But who knows maybe he can carve out a role after he gets healthy later on this season.

So Jennings or Reece? These guys are likely on a lot of WWs and McFadden is already accumulating injuries.

Does anybody know when MFL updates the injury status? I need to make a roster move and IR-ing Murray would be perfect.

Does anybody know when MFL updates the injury status? I need to make a roster move and IR-ing Murray would be perfect.
I was wondering the same thing. After looking at their site, it looks like maybe tomorrow. They change the status on Wednesdays and Fridays in season and they likely would do the same preseason.

Hoosier16 said:
Acrobat7 said:
I was wondering the same thing. After looking at their site, it looks like maybe tomorrow. They change the status on Wednesdays and Fridays in season and they likely would do the same preseason.
Done - was able to IR him. Welcome to my team Jason Avant... :bag:

An eternally pedestrian and aging Rashad Jennings is looking real good and raises the question whether DMC was too bad for the Raiders run-blocking and not the other way round.

Time to restart the train engine on Murray?

Zdravko said:
An eternally pedestrian and aging Rashad Jennings is looking real good and raises the question whether DMC was too bad for the Raiders run-blocking and not the other way round.

Time to restart the train engine on Murray?
Sure. Unless someone knows something about his rehab that I havent heard, he has a reasonable-enough chance of being their #1 HB come late August.

He had long odds to begin with. He was blasted by the coaches and placed on IR. The talent is there. You just have to wonder where his head is now. There's hope, but he's a lotto ticket at this point. I think his price and opportunity is still good, but not as good as when I tried to bring some attention to him in the shark pool.

Yeah I think right now would have been his best chance to get the job. Oakland seems quite likely to draft a RB in the first three rounds. I'll hang on but he's near the end of the roster.

With so many other needs to attend to, drafting an RB is probably not a priority.....but then again who knows what the irrational Raiders can do.

I doubt they re-sign DMC - too much money, too high medical bills. Rashad is obviously not the answer, though the yardage a guy like him gets with ease is encouraging for their overall run game. I like Murray's chances this off-season. Opportunity is there, measurables are rock solid, college performance was quite good as well.

From what I read, his main problem was attitude? I wonder how does an year on IR affect that.

Rotoworld:

The Contra Costa Times' Steve Corkran believes 2013 sixth-round pick Latavius Murray "looks the part and has all the skills" to be the Raiders' starting tailback in 2014.
Dynasty leaguers should be looking to stockpile potential this time of year, and Murray has it with a largely unimpeded path to Oakland's 2014 starting job. Darren McFadden and Rashad Jennings are both impending free agents. Murray goes 6-foot-3, 223 pounds and ran a 4.38 forty before April's draft. He wound up spending his entire rookie year as a "redshirt" on injured reserve.

Source: Steve Corkran on Twitter

Rotoworld:

The Contra Costa Times' Steve Corkran believes 2013 sixth-round pick Latavius Murray "looks the part and has all the skills" to be the Raiders' starting tailback in 2014.

Dynasty leaguers should be looking to stockpile potential this time of year, and Murray has it with a largely unimpeded path to Oakland's 2014 starting job. Darren McFadden and Rashad Jennings are both impending free agents. Murray goes 6-foot-3, 223 pounds and ran a 4.38 forty before April's draft. He wound up spending his entire rookie year as a "redshirt" on injured reserve.

I don't trust the Raiders for Murray to hit that fast. And I don't like him being injury prone. The best back on the team is Reese and he doesn't even touch the ball. There is still a chance that 2014 is a favorable situation for Murray. They will probable draft a RB who could stink, keeping the situation decent.

Rotoworld:

I don't trust the Raiders for Murray to hit that fast. And I don't like him being injury prone. The best back on the team is Reese and he doesn't even touch the ball. There is still a chance that 2014 is a favorable situation for Murray. They will probable draft a RB who could stink, keeping the situation decent.
Their best RB is Jennings and he's been nothing a stud when healthy and starting. I will give you that Reese is probably their best WR though.

Would anyone stash L.Murray over J.Stewart, Britt, or Todman (MJD owner)?

Rotoworld:

Coach Dennis Allen said he's "anxious" to get a look at a healthy Latavius Murray this offseason.
Murray was never fully healthy during his rookie training camp, battling an ankle issue before landing on injured reserve Aug. 27. On paper, he has a big opportunity with Rashad Jennings and Darren McFadden both free agents. Allen seemed concerned about Murray's "very limited experience and limited exposure," but that could all go away in a hurry once he sees a 6-foot-3, 223-pounder turning the corner with 4.38 wheels. Murray is a name to monitor closely this offseason.

Source: ESPN.com

Vic Tafur @VicTafur
Running back Andre Brown in on ex-Giants visit to #Raiders today; also starred in win over Oakland last year
As a Murray owner, I hope that they don't sign Andre Brown... Even though DMC/Brown both have a checkered injury history, just muddies the water even more and less opportunity for touches.

BUMP for Latavius Murray.

(Rotoworld)RB Latavius Murray is expected to compete for the backup job this offseason.

Analysis: The Raiders surprised everyone by re-signing Darren McFadden to be their lead back and letting Rashad Jennings go. Of course, that could very well end up as a blessing for Murray. McFadden has missed 29 games over the last six seasons and averaged just 3.29 YPC since Hue Jackson left following the 2011 campaign. The talented Murray won't have a problem beating out Jeremy Stewart and Kory Sheets.

With DMC's health and aging, Murray most definitely has the opportunity now to become Oakland's RB of the Future.
Word on the street is Murray has a very good all around skill-set, not to mention ran a 4.38 and 4.40. HE'S 6'2" 230 :o

Im on board! GET HIM NOW before his value skyrockets and he becomes the starter in Oakland via injury/beating out DMC. Look what Jennings did. Murray has Jennings on Size AND Speed. just my :2cents: for the day.

Latavius Murray will never be a good starting NFL RB. That's not to say he won't get on the field due to others' injuries.

Latavius Murray will never be a good starting NFL RB. That's not to say he won't get on the field due to others' injuries.
Opportunity > Talent, sometimes. Look at what Jennings did. He was nothing more than a Backup RB when behind Maurice Jones-Drew thats for sure.

I'm not a fan of his running style. His receiving ability is much more interesting to me.
Because of his size he was a H-Back for awhile. I've seen some people knock him for that but I don't see how it hurts.
He's awkward. I don't see a natural runner of the ball when I watch him run, and it's not because it's effortless, like you said. It's the opposite. He's got all the measurables but once we see him run against NFL defenses I think we'll see that he's not really cut out for it. Then there's the likelihood that a 6'3" guy with his upright running style is going to get destroyed by LB's in the NFL. There's a reason there are very few RB's that tall.
You notice any of these guys at LB where he won the Liberty Bowl MVP as a sophomore?http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2010-12-31-central-florida.html

* http://youtu.be/K8o3sFWVAB4

He scored the only TD of the game. The week before that he was the MVP of the Conference USA title game. The fact that he's bigger than some NFL LBs and a better athlete means nothing I guess.

I'm not a fan of his running style. His receiving ability is much more interesting to me.
Because of his size he was a H-Back for awhile. I've seen some people knock him for that but I don't see how it hurts.
He's awkward. I don't see a natural runner of the ball when I watch him run, and it's not because it's effortless, like you said. It's the opposite. He's got all the measurables but once we see him run against NFL defenses I think we'll see that he's not really cut out for it. Then there's the likelihood that a 6'3" guy with his upright running style is going to get destroyed by LB's in the NFL. There's a reason there are very few RB's that tall.
You notice any of these guys at LB where he won the Liberty Bowl MVP as a sophomore?http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2010-12-31-central-florida.html

* http://youtu.be/K8o3sFWVAB4

He scored the only TD of the game. The week before that he was the MVP of the Conference USA title game. The fact that he's bigger than some NFL LBs and a better athlete means nothing I guess.
What? He's almost 6'3", and 230 at best. And he's built like a WR, and runs like one. My position is pretty clear throughout this thread.

You notice any of these guys at LB where he won the Liberty Bowl MVP as a sophomore?http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2010-12-31-central-florida.html* http://youtu.be/K8o3sFWVAB4

What? He's almost 6'3", and 230 at best. And he's built like a WR, and runs like one. My position is pretty clear throughout this thread.
Yea, everything you've said has been subjective and baseless.

I said he's 6'3, 230 lbs, and built like a bean pole. And that he runs upright.

You said he's 'bigger than some NFL LBers'.

Who's being subjective?

Whatever. No need to have the same conversation over and over again.

You're a numbers guy. I get that. And be checks all the boxes in that category.

I don't think he looks like an NFL RB, in his build or in his running style, and there are very few physical and/or stylistic outliers in the NFL for a reason. Very, very few.

We'll see how it plays out.

Who's being subjective?
You're kidding right? He's awkawrd. Not a natural runner of the ball. He's going to get destroyed vs NFL LBs. He looks like a WR trying to play RB.

He obviously doesn't have prototypical size for a RB in the NFL. Which is a pretty big issue for me personally. I usually let someone else draft/hold players like that. That being said, I picked him up off the WW last week of the season last year. I think he has some real talent and he's put up some good/great numbers when he played against tough teams. I wouldn't spend much to acquire him but he's a hold right now if you have him. McFadden could be injured but the third week of preseason.

Who's being subjective?
You're kidding right? He's awkawrd. Not a natural runner of the ball. He's going to get destroyed vs NFL LBs. He looks like a WR trying to play RB.
Unless he's come back with a built up lower body, ShahBucks has this nailed.

He reminds me of Patterson a little bit.

Users who are viewing this thread