What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kenyan Drake, LV (1 Viewer)

Grier bullied Keim in April, so given the circumstances I wonder if he did it again. I wonder if he was able to get this done for the same price as Duke.

This is not great.  You can't start Drake TNF vs Niners and unless DJ is indeed going to IR I don't see Drake getting any meaningful role in AZ.

This is not great.  You can't start Drake TNF vs Niners and unless DJ is indeed going to IR I don't see Drake getting any meaningful role in AZ.
This trade only makes sense if a) DJ is indeed heading for IR, and b) Edmonds has a "Will Fuller Hammy Pull" that has him on the shelf for multiple weeks.

The schedule is brutal. SF twice in the next three weeks then the bye. Have to figure Edmonds pull is so serioius he's out until after the bye.

Rotoworld:

Cardinals acquired RB Kenyan Drake from the Dolphins for a conditional 2020 draft pick.

Drake was fully expected to be traded after not traveling with the team for Monday night's game. With David Johnson (ankle) expected to miss at least another week and Chase Edmonds (hamstring) in doubt, the Cardinals were in the market for a running back. Drake could have a workhorse role in his first game, but he only has three days to prepare with Arizona playing on Thursday night. Drake has plug and play value this week, but this isn't a great landing spot for his ROS outlook. He's going to take a backseat to Johnson and Edmonds when both are healthy.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Oct 28, 2019, 9:59 AM ET

He right now is the only true RB left. Arizona had the trade lined up before they even played which means DJ is truly hurt. Now that edmonds hurt his hammy they really needed a RB. This might be the best place. He is in line for 15-20 touches and 5 of them should be pass catches. Even against the niners he should be an RB2 at worst if DJ and Edmonds are out

This trade only makes sense if a) DJ is indeed heading for IR, and b) Edmonds has a "Will Fuller Hammy Pull" that has him on the shelf for multiple weeks.

The schedule is brutal. SF twice in the next three weeks then the bye. Have to figure Edmonds pull is so serioius he's out until after the bye.
Trade makes sense just from a standpoint of what they gave up. A 2020 conditional pick. Pretty good chance they recoup a better comp pick than that, if Drake shows anything down the stretch. 

Edmonds hamstring injury sounded pretty bad, certainly Fuller-esq is on the table. They said he needed assistance to walk. I've pulled my hamstring to the point where the entire area between my butt and my calf was black and blue, and was still able to walk afterward. While I am purely speculating, I wouldn't assume Edmonds isn't out longer than Johnson, and the Cards clearly value RB's more than most teams, because of how they use them.

Immediate upcoming schedule sucks, but 49ers are really the only matchup that is downright bad. Bucs, Rams, Steelers, Browns, Seahawks isn't bad, just not as good as Falcons, Bengals, Giants.

Pretty good chance they recoup a better comp pick than that, if Drake shows anything down the stretch. 
And the Dolphins have a lot of salary cap room so they are probably planning on being active in free agency so they couldn't get a compensatory pick when Drake left.  The Cardinals do not have much in salary cap room so they probably aren't planning on being active in free agency and will get compensatory pick when Drake leaves.

where is the DJ to IR talk? any links for that?  i can see a scenario where if they are getting drake for next to nothing, it doesnt hurt to bring him in just an insurance in case DJ is unable to return.... i dont think we can assume it means for SURE DJ is not going to return soon. The edmonds injury happened after the trade was made so that shouldnt factor in to reason for the trade.

damn thursday night game, if this was sunday we may have lucked in to a few fantasy points

Last edited by a moderator:
Just throwing this out there - a team whose top rb was hurt and only had one backup brought in the mediocre free agent rbs and determined that the ghost of alfred Morris was worth signing, and then their backup got hurt and they traded a conditional pick for a mediocre running back who wasn't even starting on the worst team in the league. 

That might not mean that drake will be their new rb1 or that anyone is going on ir. 

From Rotoworld:

Cardinals acquired RB Kenyan Drake from the Dolphins for a conditional 2020 sixth-round pick.

Drake was fully expected to be traded after not traveling with the team for Monday night's game. With David Johnson (ankle) out at least another week and Chase Edmonds (hamstring) in doubt, the Cardinals were in the market for a running back. Drake could have a workhorse role in his first game, but he only has three days to prepare with Arizona playing on Thursday night. The trade gives Drake some short-term value, but this isn't a great landing spot for his ROS outlook. He's going to take a backseat to Johnson and Edmonds when both are healthy.

Drake will be a UFA, so it’s basically an 8 week rental.
Oh, I get it. Just a situation in which I thought Miami had more leverage. Figured this was the sort of offer that was out there before the weekend then Arizona's situation forced them into ponying up. I probably over estimated what was out there before yesterday.

It was reported early yesterday (before the Cards game, so before Edmonds injury) that Drake was going to be traded & wouldn't make the trip to tonight's game, right?  So, this couldn't be a reaction to his injury.  Seems like that would give some weight to the idea that DJ's injury is worse than what had been thought previously.

It was reported early yesterday (before the Cards game, so before Edmonds injury) that Drake was going to be traded & wouldn't make the trip to tonight's game, right?  So, this couldn't be a reaction to his injury.  Seems like that would give some weight to the idea that DJ's injury is worse than what had been thought previously.
Rapaport(I know) said that the decision to trade Drake happened Saturday, but the Cardinals didn't make an offer until this morning, meaning this move could be just as much about Edmonds as Johnson, and another team was looking to trade for a RB, and was offering less than Arizona..

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports new Cardinals RB Kenyan Drake will get "major run" on Thursday evening against the 49ers.

The Cardinals have been coy on Drake's potential usage just three days after he came over from the Dolphins, but with David Johnson and Chase Edmonds both expected to sit, they don't really have much choice when it comes to "major run." The alternatives are Alfred Morris and Zach Zenner. We still wouldn't consider Drake more than an intriguing FLEX play. The Cardinals' best laid plans could quickly go awry vs. the 49ers' NFC-best defense.

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Oct 31, 2019, 5:35 PM ET

Crazy how I did this to myself but in redraft I own Kamara, Coleman, Breida, DJ....WW priority had Samuel ahead of Drake but landed Kenyon so all my RB's are in play tonight (so to speak). Rolling with Coleman & Drake and hoping for some Thursday night Halloween weirdness.  :football:  

Crazy how I did this to myself but in redraft I own Kamara, Coleman, Breida, DJ....WW priority had Samuel ahead of Drake but landed Kenyon so all my RB's are in play tonight (so to speak). Rolling with Coleman & Drake and hoping for some Thursday night Halloween weirdness.  :football:  
Was also forced to start drake in three leagues due to bye and injury.   Better to be lucky than good I guess

So embarrassing for Miami.
He's an UFA at the end of the year and said he wasn't re-signing in Miami.  Given their situation this year (0-7, not exactly trying to win) it could have been Walter Payton they were moving and it wouldn't be that bad to just get something out of him.

He's an UFA at the end of the year and said he wasn't re-signing in Miami.  Given their situation this year (0-7, not exactly trying to win) it could have been Walter Payton they were moving and it wouldn't be that bad to just get something out of him.
Maybe this. 

Except theyve had the guy for 3 years now and found no way to use him. Then look what he does for Kinsbury 4 days after being traded.

Its like buying a sports car, never driving it, then trading it in for half of what you paid for it.

Embarrassing for the Dolphins.

Embarrassing insofar as it took ARI 3 days to figure out how to use Drake more effectively than MIA ever did.
It happens... look what a change at HC did for Aaron Jones... Priest Holmes signs w/ KC and becomes a superstar... I'm sure there are many others.

He had some great games with MIA, especially that stretch in the second half of the 2017 season.

Bad team, suspect coaching, and some injuries have held him down a bit. He's always had some talent. 

AZ is a good fit because he's so similar in skill set to DJ that they can basically plug him right into the same role and do the same things with him.

Kenyan Drake rushed 15 times for 110 yards and a touchdown in the Cardinals' Week 9 loss to the 49ers, adding four receptions for 52 additional yards.

A one-man committee in the absence of David Johnson and Chase Edmonds, Drake had the second best game of his career three days after coming over from the pathetic Dolphins. Facing the NFC's best defense, Drake uncorked a 36-yard run on the first play from scrimmage. He capped the drive with a rugged four-yard score where he pinballed off of Richard Sherman. It was an extremely impressive outing from a player who probably couldn't even remember what time zone he was in. We've always known about Drake's explosiveness. Workload was the issue. Unfortunately, it won't be going away in Arizona, which threatens to devolve into a three-man committee as early as next week's game against the Bucs.

Oct 31, 2019, 11:32 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread