What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jerick McKinnon, KC (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Jerick McKinnon had 19 carries for 103 yards in Sunday's Week 7 loss to the Bills.

McKinnon remained the starter over Matt Asiata, who finished with just seven touches. He broke off a pair of impressive 20-yard runs and was the featured player on offense. McKinnon is the only running back to rush for over 100 yards on the Bills this year. He should continue to get the majority of snaps over Asiata, making him a borderline RB2 for Week 8 against the Bucs.

Oct 19 - 5:00 PM

So I guess this might be one of those times when the freakish combine numbers translate to a legit stud? The kid had 269 carries in college in 2012, BMI of 31, is the strongest RB of his class. The "just another COP back" label is peeled off this kid as quick as he peels off those ankle breaking runs.

McKinnon is the only running back to rush for over 100 yards on the Bills this year. :drive:

Last edited by a moderator:
He looked great live, ran hard and finished all of his blocks. Asiata, on the other hand, looked absolutely atrocious despite being in for too many critical situations.

Rotoworld:

Jerick McKinnon - RB - Vikings

Coach Mike Zimmer asked his backs to get three yards after contact per rush in Sunday's game at Buffalo.

It's a ridiculously high standard, as Chris Ivory came into Week 7 leading the league in that category at 2.68 YAC per attempt. But Jerick McKinnon met it, impressively bouncing off would-be tackles to net 57 yards after contact on 19 carries, finishing with 103 rushing yards. He out-touched Matt Asiata 21-7, and the sterling performance ensures that McKinnon will remain the clear-cut lead back against the Bucs in Week 8. We like the physical freak's chances of holding RB2 value the rest of the way.

Related: Matt Asiata

Source: ESPN.com

Oct 20 - 9:21 AM

Not to make this a A.C. thread, but I'm torn about what to do with McKinnon.

I drafted him with the last pick in a 14 team, keep-4 league (18-team rosters). My team has sucked/under-performed this year, but I'm borderline on getting into the playoffs. I could possibly trade him for Foster, Forte, or Bell. All 3 of those RBs were high draft picks and it would take a 1st round pick to keep Bell, and the ohter two can't be kept. Those RBs are also on teams who are at the bottom of the league. Our trade deadline is this week, so if those guys (or me) are going to make a trade, they have to do it now.

Are McKinnon's future prospects good enough to pass up on taking a shot at the playoffs this year, in order to keep a (possible) starting RB with a last round pick, or is "trading high" the smart move?

Your situation begs for him to be kept if you have any belief at all he will become a RB2 (with RB1 upside possibilities), if its one of those leagues where you lose the draft pick where he was selected. The potential is too great to get a top 15-20 guy in exchange for just a last round pick next year. Besides he could do good things for you this year as well as next. Maybe for Forte. Just understand you are taking away a lot of firepower for next season, although some here feel Min will draft a RB next year to replace him as the starter. However these are the same people that have been labeling McKinnon as only a COP back.

A deal like that only makes sense if you feel McKinnon cannot carry the load going forward or you are willing to forgo a major advantage over your league next season for an upgrade this season. There is enough evidence about Norv and elite RBs to get excited about the possibilities with a kid with this kind of talent who can catch passes, in PPR because Norv has a history of making the offense run through a talented RB if he is there, and we are already seeing early signs of that with McKinnon. He has only 2 games where he has 18+ carries and both of those were 100 yard games (one vs a very tough run D) and he only became the starter 8 days ago. The party is just getting started imo.

Should have played him over A. Williams. <_<

Did anyone see how often if ever they replaced him with Asiata in the RZ. I believe I saw it once.

Power on display last week ... check out Aaron Williams (#23 on BUF) getting his head snapped back on a stiff arm spin move from McKinnon on the first offensive play for Min to open the 2nd half. Then baby tank makes the spoon motion to feed him more. What's even more impressive is he did this just after shedding Mario Williams prior to the stiff arm. Sub 4.4 speed guys are not supposed to have that kind of power.

EDITED FOR LINK: http://www.nfl.com/v...ek-7-Top-5-runs

Offered mid-late 2015 1st and 2015 devy for McKinnon and was rejected. These would be something like the 15th-20th rookie pick and the 8th-12th developmental pick.

I was just offered this trade:

I passed. Had the picks not been in there, I would've still passed.
That trade offer is insulting.
Before we jump to that conclusion, perhaps we should know whether or not TheFanatic is aggressively trying to win his league's 2010 title.

Before we jump to that conclusion, perhaps we should know whether or not TheFanatic is aggressively trying to win his league's 2010 title.
Ask him if he would throw in a wheelchair, walker and oxygen tank to get the deal done.

Its a small sample size obviously but Im not sure what more McKinnon could be doing to demonstrate his value at this point.

Elite workout metrics, seized a significant portion of touches as a rook, showing well in both the run and pass games.

There are weaknesses, sure. Asiata may vulture GL looks and he could improve in pass pro. Any rook is likely to have some areas that need improving and those seem awfully minimal to me in the big scheme of things.

I always think in terms of dynasty value, and with that in mind, I see a player/situation very much akin to Ellington or Bernard last year. I think most would regret moving either of them for a rookie pick not named Watkins at this point. If my team was deep at RB and needed a stud WR, I may move him right now for a top 2 or 3 pick in 2015 as I see 3 WR prospects that I really like, but otherwise there's no reason to move him for picks IMO.

Id take McKinnon vs the top 2015 rookie RBs and unknown situations for now. Obviously that could change if Gurley or Gordon end up in plum spots with a starting job to themselves but with the unknowns involved I wouldn't move him with that intention yet.

Offered mid-late 2015 1st and 2015 devy for McKinnon and was rejected. These would be something like the 15th-20th rookie pick and the 8th-12th developmental pick.
I think I would only accept a projected top 5 rookie pick at this point.
:shrug: I took a pick projected to be 5-9

but our league places much higher value on WRs and even TEs lately than RBs, I have Charles, McCoy, Ball/Thompson, and Denard and we can only start 1-2 RBs. yet I still may have undersold.

So far, the most accurate experts are loving McKinnon vs. TB in PPR this week. They have him unanimously ranked as a low-end RB1.
It's hard NOT to love him looking as good as he has going against a team in the process of quitting on the season.

I've got some RB depth and am thinking of dealing McKinnon and Kelce to get Gronk.

Ask him if he would throw in a wheelchair, walker and oxygen tank to get the deal done.
yea thats a horrible trade for Knights... geez o peats who would even offer that

yea thats a horrible trade for Knights... geez o peats who would even offer that
Apparently a guy in a league who can trade 2017 picks

Bayhawks said:

I drafted him with the last pick in a 14 team, keep-4 league (18-team rosters). My team has sucked/under-performed this year, but I'm borderline on getting into the playoffs. I could possibly trade him for Foster, Forte, or Bell. All 3 of those RBs were high draft picks and it would take a 1st round pick to keep Bell, and the ohter two can't be kept. Those RBs are also on teams who are at the bottom of the league. Our trade deadline is this week, so if those guys (or me) are going to make a trade, they have to do it now.

Are McKinnon's future prospects good enough to pass up on taking a shot at the playoffs this year, in order to keep a (possible) starting RB with a last round pick, or is "trading high" the smart move?
def depends on the chance of you making the playoffs and winning it. those guys drastically increase your odds so if your team is decent its proly worth it.

MIN - Jerick McKinnon shows big-play ability - Tue Oct 21, 11:48 PM

Minnesota Vikings RB Jerick McKinnon has rushed for at least five yards on 22 of his 60 carries this season, amassing 245 yards on those 22 attempts.

So 37% of the time he's hitting that 5+ yard run. Off to a good start. Surprise he is getting much less attention than other rookie backs. I read less than 10% owned in espn leagues. Lol this guy is a borderline rb1 next week vs tb.

I know I'm a broken record about this, but it's amazing how a player's "brand" entering the league is so sticky. If McKinnon isn't triggering your "likely future stud" alert at this point you may need to check the batteries.

I know I'm a broken record about this, but it's amazing how a player's "brand" entering the league is so sticky. If McKinnon isn't triggering your "likely future stud" alert at this point you may need to check the batteries.
His name is not Adrian Peterson. That seems to be the biggest problem what I can think of about peoples perception.

The comments like: "Peterson would have rushed 1000 yards!" when McKinnon runs 100 are very common.

People can't seem to get over the fact that in NFL things change fast.

def depends on the chance of you making the playoffs and winning it. those guys drastically increase your odds so if your team is decent its proly worth it.
FYI-I pulled the trigger. McKinnon (as a last round keeper pick) netted Foster (unkeepable).

Obviously this isn't a true indicator of his trade value, as the keeper costs factor into it, as do the playoff chances for me and the other owner, but thought this might be something to consider when discussing his value.

If I was building a video game RB from scratch it would be Jerick McKinnon. He has elite size/strength/speed/hands/catching measurables which means its going to come down to two things, intangibles and technique.

1. Intangibles - mental toughness/vision/feel/patience/execution/focus (skills executed by the video game player interfacing with the control pad). These are handled by his brain. He has shown glimpses of having some of these skills already. Elite measurable with no vision, will run into their blocks or cut the wrong way which is the difference between just a good gain and a TD.

2. Technique - improving pass blocking and other techniques like leverage, pad level etc. not fumbling, durability etc. (provided by the coaching and his learning ability which seems to be good since he played QB in college and has Norv who had success with previous elite RBs) also technique is used to twist/leverage body to get short yardage goal line success. Also known as "getting small" through the crease. Marcus Allen overcame his lack of elite speed/strength/size with this skill.

We have the benefit of knowing the measurable are there already hence the elite ceiling capability. Not saying he will be elite but those necessary traits to attain it are there yet insufficient without also the intangibles and technique.

McKinnon seems to be a must play in dailies given his momentum and low price. The thing that kills me is everyone is going to be starting him as it's all I've heard all week. I have this funny feeling he won't do much and some guys like Sankey or Cadet will be the low-budget steals.Seems to easy IMO.

You sir, continue on with your broken record. I liked McKinnon anyway, but the comps from your blog pushed me over the top to absolutely ensure i locked him up in dynasty, and it put him solidly on my radar in redraft to grab immediately when Peterson's situation hit.

<<tip of the hat>>

Frankly, seeing a small school RB-coversion (remember he played QB, RB, and a couple other spots for GA Southern) flash so early in his career is very promising to me. I loved the passing game involvement as we all know Norv expects his RBs to catch the ball. That gives a solid floor for his fantasy value. With the athletic profile, it's very hard to not be excited at this point. I own Jerick everywhere and have been a big fan all season. You could see the talent on his touches… but the timeline was forced by the Peterson situation.

I'm not ready to anoint him the next big thing, but I sure love owning him in dynasty, and I wouldn't be shocked if he's a roster cornerstone by the end of season. He's dripping with talent.

17-20 touches against anyone other than Detroit's D is going to make for some pretty nice weeks in fantasy.
Scratch what I said about him being the next big thing... I'm all in at this point. Wouldn't move him in my 16-team start 2 RB for less than a king's ransom (e.g. a gross overpay). And even then I'd feel dirty bailing on this train.

:football:

Is it fair to say that he's a must start option going forward unless you have two other top 12 options?
Definitely.

I went Peterson with my 1st round pick and when it hit the fan, I decided to grab McKinnon off the wire over Asiata due to his freakish ability. Yea, he's a rookie but his combine numbers & freak athleticism made him a much more attractive player. I felt it was pretty obvious that whomever the RB in MIN was, they would be seeing plenty of opportunity with Teddy Bridgewater in at QB

His numbers have been impressive so far:

ATL: 18 rush / 135 yards; 1 rec / 17 yards - 18.2 points

GB: 7 / 24; 3 / 22 - 7.6

DET: 11 / 40; 6 / 42 - 14.2

BUF: 19 / 103; 2 / -2 - 14.1

I think you have to lock him into your RB2 spot; especially after his performance against the Bills, on the road. The Bills entered that game leading the league in rush defense at 3.2 ypc and 60 yards a game. No one had even broken off a 20+ yard rush- McKinnon has 2 20 yard rushes. He also managed to average over 3 yards after contact which is pretty impressive considering the league leader was at like 2.6.

I think he only gets better from here on out. More experience and more confidence from the coaching staff.

Some early rankings have McKinnon as a top 10 play this week against the hapless Buccaneers.

Am I going to play him over Lacy?

Assuming Starks goes this week I would play McKinnon over Lacy without hesitation. GB is far from a lock vs. NO in NO (NO is actually favored) and even when they've been up they haven't given Lacy any type of legitimate workload. It looks to me like GB is super comfortable with giving Lacy sub 15 carries a game (only eclipsed this mark once) where as McKinnon saw 19 last week.

Is McKinnon ever in line for some goal line work? I love him but am in TD heavy leagues.

Is McKinnon ever in line for some goal line work? I love him but am in TD heavy leagues.
This actually occurred to me earlier but yes I think so. No official word, stat or reporting on this that I am representing, but it has occurred to me that the Vikes are right back in the Peterson situation with Ponder. If the Vikes are going to score how are they going to do that or through whom? Yes they got a short score with Patterson last week, but they have scored just 1 TD in 2 games and 2 TD in 3 games. McKinnon had 5 RZ touches weeks 4-5, none weeks 6-7.

I think the TDs are going to come. If they want to score they will have to.

... the time has come to activate McKinnon in Fantasy.And you couldn't ask for a better matchup for it. In Week 8, the Vikings visit the Buccaneers, who rank 25th against the run, allowing 128.3 yards per game. Prior to their bye in Week 7, they gave up 172 yards to the Ravens' trio of Justin Forsett, Bernard Pierce and Lorenzo Taliaferro in Week 6 and 124 yards to the Saints' duo of Khiry Robinson and Pierre Thomas in Week 5.
Color me absolutely kookoo crazy but I am hoping for 120-140 total yards and 1-2 TDs.

... the time has come to activate McKinnon in Fantasy.And you couldn't ask for a better matchup for it. In Week 8, the Vikings visit the Buccaneers, who rank 25th against the run, allowing 128.3 yards per game. Prior to their bye in Week 7, they gave up 172 yards to the Ravens' trio of Justin Forsett, Bernard Pierce and Lorenzo Taliaferro in Week 6 and 124 yards to the Saints' duo of Khiry Robinson and Pierre Thomas in Week 5.
Color me absolutely kookoo crazy but I am hoping for 120-140 total yards and 1-2 TDs.
I can easily see 2 or 3 20+ yard yard runs. 120 and 1 td seems a good possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread