What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jaylen Warren, PIT (1 Viewer)

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler writes "don't be surprised" if Steelers RB Jaylen Warren is featured more this week.​

Warren set season highs in Week 8, totaling 75 yards on nine touches. The rookie has been cutting into the workload of Najee Harris in recent weeks but doesn't yet have standalone value. The Steelers hope getting Warren more involved can spark an offense that's ranked 28th in the league in yards per game (298.8).
SOURCE: ESPN
Nov 5, 2022, 11:20 AM ET
It's a nice thought, but not sure where Fowler is getting this unless there's something from Tomlin (which I highly doubt).

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler writes "don't be surprised" if Steelers RB Jaylen Warren is featured more this week.​

Warren set season highs in Week 8, totaling 75 yards on nine touches. The rookie has been cutting into the workload of Najee Harris in recent weeks but doesn't yet have standalone value. The Steelers hope getting Warren more involved can spark an offense that's ranked 28th in the league in yards per game (298.8).
This week?
Bye weeks have a lot of rookie hazing.

I would be VERY surprised

“I’d say that’s fine if they could run, but they can’t,” Bouchette said. “First of all, I’m putting [Jaylen] Warren in there, I’m starting him the next game. If I’m coach, that’s who’s starting the next game.”
While Bouchette wouldn’t eliminate Harris from the game plan, he would certainly lessen his workload.

“I think Warren has shown, stats and the eye test, that he’s a better running back right now and I’m going with him, working Najee in, but I think it would be a statement if you started Warren. You know, saying, hey, get your act together, start running.”

I would be VERY surprised

Yea very surprised with the Steelers on bye lol 😂….

Jeremy Fowler seems like he talks out of his *** …. Warren definitely looks better though

Picked him back up in waivers after the bye. No one is on this guy. Hopefully Pitt gives him a shot.

Is Harris that bad? Or is Warren being put in better spots and just producing better results?
Could be either of/all of/other things.

- Their OL is still pretty bad at run blocking and Pickett isn't scaring anyone downfield. Teams are stacking boxes with impunity and their OC calls the same three plays anyway.
- Harris could still be playing hurt. IIRC, he was wearing an iron shoe up until about 3 weeks ago. Regardless, he looks like dook.
- Warren looks like slightly less dook, but here's a super-wild-Hot-TakeTM....Could he maybe be getting work when games have already been decided and defenses aren't that concerned about giving up 50 yards on 6 carries when they're up by four scores?

Doesn't really matter about the second two items (which are basically speculation). The first item is the real problem and that probably isn't changing anytime soon.

Warren looks like slightly less dook, but here's a super-wild-Hot-TakeTM....Could he maybe be getting work when games have already been decided and defenses aren't that concerned about giving up 50 yards on 6 carries when they're up by four scores?
I’d have to look back at the game logs, but I don’t think most of Warren’s touches have been in garbage time.

Is Harris that bad? Or is Warren being put in better spots and just producing better results?

I don't personally have any data to back this up, so take this with a grain of sale. I was listening to Fantasy Sports Radio on XM yesterday when this was discussed (they did the research).

Harris has actually been more efficient than Warren in obvious run plays. Now, that's not saying a ton since neither has been that effective in those situations. Warren has looked good when the PIT Offense gets him the ball in better chances for success.

While this is sort of a "DUH" - get people the ball when they can be in a position to succeed, it also leads me to believe 2 things:

1. Harris will continue to be the early-down back and will get the majority of touches over Warren
  2. While Warren may be more involved, I don't see him being a "bell cow" back even if there's an injury/ demotion to Harris

again, this is by no means a "rain on the Warren parade" nor am I any sort of expert here. Just thought i'd chime in on the chance it may help out.

At the end of the day, it seems Tomlin is a loyal guy and doubt he will move away from their 1st round draft pick. Sounds like wishful thinking by a writer (who may also be an owner of Warren).

Again, let's see it.

Warren's looked far far far superior to Najee since Day 1. Najee's looked like a complete washed back in his everydown role this year. Can't move laterally. Can't get the corner. The only thing he's been better at is.....being 240 pounds (being kind). Should have been a committee backfield from Day 1. And hope being on the field less makes Najee fresher and more effective in a lesser role.

Won't believe it until it actually happens on the field though.

Again, let's see it.

Warren's looked far far far superior to Najee since Day 1. Najee's looked like a complete washed back in his everydown role this year. Can't move laterally. Can't get the corner. The only thing he's been better at is.....being 240 pounds (being kind). Should have been a committee backfield from Day 1. And hope being on the field less makes Najee fresher and more effective in a lesser role.

Won't believe it until it actually happens on the field though.
If Najee were a 4th round pick rather than a 1st, I don't think we'd be having this conversation.

I don't personally have any data to back this up, so take this with a grain of sale. I was listening to Fantasy Sports Radio on XM yesterday when this was discussed (they did the research).

Harris has actually been more efficient than Warren in obvious run plays. Now, that's not saying a ton since neither has been that effective in those situations. Warren has looked good when the PIT Offense gets him the ball in better chances for success.

While this is sort of a "DUH" - get people the ball when they can be in a position to succeed, it also leads me to believe 2 things:

1. Harris will continue to be the early-down back and will get the majority of touches over Warren
  2. While Warren may be more involved, I don't see him being a "bell cow" back even if there's an injury/ demotion to Harris

again, this is by no means a "rain on the Warren parade" nor am I any sort of expert here. Just thought i'd chime in on the chance it may help out.
This. It's a small sample size but Warren only has a 2.8 ypc on 1st down vs. 3.8 for Najee. His longest run of the year came last week on a draw play on 2nd and 16 in garbage time.

This. It's a small sample size but Warren only has a 2.8 ypc on 1st down vs. 3.8 for Najee. His longest run of the year came last week on a draw play on 2nd and 16 in garbage time.
That may be true, but Tomlin and Co. are clearly looking at a broader range of work and have made statements praising Warren. We'll obviously know more on Sunday.

That may be true, but Tomlin and Co. are clearly looking at a broader range of work and have made statements praising Warren. We'll obviously know more on Sunday.
Coaches say a lot of things. Just pointing out the reality, Warren hasn't been nearly as "great" as many in here talk about when you look at things in context. They've both been pretty poor, which isn't surprising when you consider the O-line stinks, the OC stinks, the QB stinks, etc.

Mike Tomlin asked point blank in his Tuesday press conference if Jaylen Warren could be made the featured back:

"He's a quality back that's made some plays. We'll keep giving him an opportunity to do so, and maybe he'll write that script."

Andrew Fillipponi
@ThePoniExpress
·
Nov 8

I think Tomlin is benching Najee. I expect Jaylen Warren to be the workhorse Sunday. And I give Tomlin credit for doing it.

Andrew Fillipponi
@ThePoniExpress
·
16h

Our award-winning Steleers insider @jhathhorn says on @937theFan that Jaylen Warren split 1st team offensive snaps with Najee Harris today at practice. Warren has least moved into a close to equal time share in terms of reps. Wow.

NOTE: Andrew Fillipponi is a talking head on local sports radio. It's his job to stir the pot.

Warren indicated Thursday that he hasn't had any increase in practice reps or responsibilities as Sunday's game against the Saints approaches, Chris Adamski of TribLive.com reports.

Per Dale Lolley of the Steelers' official site, there's been speculation that Warren -- who has averaged 5.3 yards on his 29 rushing attempts to date -- could see more backfield touches moving forward, but offensive coordinator Matt Canada suggested Thursday that he believes lead back Najee Harris, who has averaged 3.3 yards per carry on 108 rushes thus far, now is healthy and "will start trending in the right direction, as well." In any case, Warren figures to continue to contribute in third-down situations, a context that could result in the undrafted rookie seeing enough touches in the weeks ahead to make his mark in deeper leagues.

locker room quote from Warren

Jaylen Warren since Week 4:
  • 101 rushing yards
  • 5.6 yards per carry
  • 85 receiving yards
  • 186 yards from scrimmage
Steelers RB touches this year:
Najee Harris 132
Jaylen Warren 41

Touches of 10+ yards:
Najee Harris 12
Jaylen Warren 13

Warren has made the most of his opportunities whenever the Steelers have called on him. I don't think there is much reason to think he's going to get more touches, but if he keeps breaking off chunk plays, it might be warranted. Wait and see, remains nothing more than a quality stash with potential for upside.

PFF grades:

Najee Harris 61.1
Jaylen Warren 63.2

Harris was ahead of him until last week, when Warren had a few big plays in garbage time of a blowout.

I know it's a fun story to root for the underdog, and stranger things have happened, but neither has really played well as the entire offense is a dumpster fire. Warren has had most of his "chunk plays" come in much more favorable situations than Najee has typically faced. They may give him more opportunities because why not, but it's hard to get excited about any RB on this team.

PFF grades:

Najee Harris 61.1
Jaylen Warren 63.2

Harris was ahead of him until last week, when Warren had a few big plays in garbage time of a blowout.

I know it's a fun story to root for the underdog, and stranger things have happened, but neither has really played well as the entire offense is a dumpster fire. Warren has had most of his "chunk plays" come in much more favorable situations than Najee has typically faced. They may give him more opportunities because why not, but it's hard to get excited about any RB on this team.
Good point! I'm out on even considering it. Be interesting to watch how PIT plays and their scoring if they can top 20 points on average. Over or Under 20 on a weekly basis? Two TD's and two FG's a week.

Disregarding all metrics, this narrative seems to be snowballing in recent weeks. Has Najee been overused? Is he already cooked? is a fresh Jaylen better Shan a cooked Najee? Is it all a ploy to motivate Najee Harris?

There is definitely a buzz and I am grabbing Jaylen lottery ticket where I can.

How come last year Najee was characterized as the future for the Steelers and this year as Trent Richardson 2.0?

Somebody, at some time, was/is disengenuous.

How come last year Najee was characterized as the future for the Steelers and this year as Trent Richardson 2.0?

Somebody, at some time, was/is disengenuous.
Well, look at their first years. Very similar. Najee had a little higher yards per carry at 3.9 vs 3.6 and more attempts so about 400 more total yards. Trent had 12 TDs to 10 for Najee. Trent was the future for the Browns.

For FF, they were both drafted in the top 8 for the most part in their 2nd years. Richardson fell off a cliff in his 3rd year after being traded to Indy. Najee has fallen off a cliff this year.

While Najee may not end up the bust that Richardson ended up being, comparing them is pretty fair

Najee is masking an injury sustained in camp. That, coupled with the poor O-Line play, and rookie QB, are making him look like a bust. Warren vulturing the 3rd & 20 draw plays for 14yds a clip may be overinflating his talent to a degree, and we end up with these conversations. Given a year to heal, and if the Pitt front office can refrain from drafting another WR early and focus on the O-Line instead, Najee may well return to form, as he is a talented kid.

People just making stuff up in this thread. Warren has zero (0) runs on third down. He’s getting used in the same situations as Najee.

If you haven’t watched the games and are too lazy to look at 8 game logs, try digesting this.

Najee

Down​

DownNumPct
First7367.6%
Second3027.8%
Third54.6%

Yds To Go​

ToGoNumPct
0-31110.2%
4-61312.0%
7-108074.1%
11+43.7%
Avg Yards to go8.5

Jaylan

Down​

DownNumPct
First1344.8%
Second1448.3%
Fourth26.9%

Yds To Go​

ToGoNumPct
0-3413.8%
4-6310.3%
7-102069.0%
11+26.9%
Avg Yards to go8.3

I detest misinformation.

People just making stuff up in this thread. Warren has zero (0) runs on third down. He’s getting used in the same situations as Najee.

If you haven’t watched the games and are too lazy to look at 8 game logs, try digesting this.

Najee

Down​

DownNumPct
First7367.6%
Second3027.8%
Third54.6%

Yds To Go​

ToGoNumPct
0-31110.2%
4-61312.0%
7-108074.1%
11+43.7%
Avg Yards to go8.5

Jaylan

Down​

DownNumPct
First1344.8%
Second1448.3%
Fourth26.9%

Yds To Go​

ToGoNumPct
0-3413.8%
4-6310.3%
7-102069.0%
11+26.9%
Avg Yards to go8.3

I detest misinformation.
It has nothing to do with 3rd down, 3rd and short would actually be a disadvantage. It's a very small sample size but the bulk of his big plays have come in garbage time and/or less obvious running situations. His numbers on 1st down are terrible (again, tiny sample size). :shrug:

We can analyze the numbers until the cows come home, but what happens during the game is all we need to know. I do think that Najee will be fed a lot to start the game - what happens thereafter if he’s not productive remains to be seen.

We can analyze the numbers until the cows come home, but what happens during the game is all we need to know. I do think that Najee will be fed a lot to start the game - what happens thereafter if he’s not productive remains to be seen.

So humpback wins that argument.

This is what everyone claiming that Jaylen isn't outperforming Najee must watch. It's 10 min of pure truth.
To be clear, I'm not saying that he hasn't outperformed Najee, I'm just saying the outperformance is primarily due to a handful of plays during garbage time boosting his averages. I don't think either has played well overall, and I don't expect either to do much for fantasy considering the state of the offense.

People poo poo the eye test, but I've had tons of luck spying with my lil eye over the years. I spy a future stud RB in Jaylen Warren. Perhaps not in 2022, but look out in '23 and beyond.

RANKPLAYERTEAMRUSHESEPA/RUSHYARDS PER CARRYEXPECTED YARDSRUSHING YARDS OVER EXPECTED
1Taysom Hill400.498.504.553.92
2Lamar Jackson500.308.885.862.99
3James Cook28-0.065.252.812.41
4D'Andre Swift360.106.974.832.11
5Rashaad Penny590.176.274.761.48
6Samaje Perine250.125.323.961.33
7Travis Etienne124-0.035.644.291.31
8Tony Pollard820.086.174.851.29
9Jeff Wilson Jr.104-0.085.164.150.98
10Justice Hill290.085.794.830.93
11Javonte Williams48-0.154.273.400.84
12Eno Benjamin69-0.024.483.620.83
13Khalil Herbert990.055.935.250.65
14Isiah Pacheco44-0.054.704.030.64
15Aaron Jones1050.115.645.010.60
16Nick Chubb1500.145.845.240.56
17D'Onta Foreman600.075.054.510.51
18Breece Hall750.125.154.630.49
19Josh Jacobs1440.075.354.850.46
20Kyler Murray310.115.615.130.45
21Derrick Henry1830.044.804.370.40
22Saquon Barkley161-0.014.824.450.34
23Jaylen Warren260.225.385.040.31
24Kenneth Walker III1130.045.215.010.17
25James Conner610.084.133.940.16
26Christian McCaffrey115-0.024.904.750.12
27Miles Sanders1350.185.024.900.10
28Tyler Allgeier910.004.694.610.05
29Rhamondre Stevenson1290.014.734.72-0.02
30Austin Ekeler100-0.034.194.39-0.23
31Latavius Murray46-0.023.834.06-0.26
32Alvin Kamara104-0.104.184.43-0.28
33Dameon Pierce150-0.024.714.96-0.29
34Joe Mixon146-0.033.854.10-0.29
35Raheem Mostert112-0.034.424.69-0.30
36Ezekiel Elliott1080.014.004.30-0.33
37Justin Fields270.114.895.27-0.42
38A.J. Dillon93-0.084.034.43-0.43
39Gus Edwards260.404.965.37-0.44
40Michael Carter86-0.144.074.49-0.45
41Damien Harris690.034.304.79-0.52
42Cordarrelle Patterson760.105.766.26-0.53
43Jamaal Williams128-0.044.234.75-0.55
44Darrell Henderson64-0.124.114.66-0.58
45Jonathan Taylor100-0.154.254.81-0.59
46David Montgomery105-0.023.854.45-0.63
47Sony Michel33-0.062.763.37-0.64
48Alexander Mattison370.093.734.42-0.73
49Jerick McKinnon28-0.183.894.61-0.75
50James Robinson103-0.183.884.61-0.76
51Mark Ingram II53-0.193.754.48-0.76
52Devin Singletary81-0.194.465.22-0.79
53Cam Akers55-0.262.913.70-0.82
54Kenyan Drake74-0.064.805.59-0.83
55Brian Robinson Jr.70-0.123.334.20-0.90
56Melvin Gordon III74-0.323.504.38-0.91
57Chase Edmonds41-0.293.024.01-1.02
58J.K. Dobbins36-0.083.504.58-1.11
59Antonio Gibson90-0.073.784.89-1.15
60Dalvin Cook132-0.044.445.64-1.23
61Boston Scott25-0.103.004.25-1.28
62Najee Harris107-0.193.164.44-1.31
63Rachaad White40-0.012.954.29-1.37
64Clyde Edwards-Helaire720.034.245.59-1.39
65Leonard Fournette125-0.253.384.76-1.41
66Kareem Hunt740.004.115.66-1.59
67Kenneth Gainwell290.234.215.77-1.59
68Caleb Huntley630.064.656.22-1.60
69Deon Jackson38-0.282.794.52-1.76

Week 8 RB rushing yards over expected leaders:

1 Derrick Henry (82.7)
2 Tony Pollard (69.4)
3 Travis Etienne (54.5)
4 Aaron Jones (47.9)
5 Dontrell Hilliard (47.1)
6 Miles Sanders (35.5)
7 Kenyan Drake (32.2)
8 Khalil Herbert (23.6)
9 Dalvin Cook (23.1)
10 Jaylen Warren (20.8)

2021 Yards Over expected
(33rd out of 51 players with at least 100 rushing att)

63Najee Harris306-0.123.884.07-0.23

Warren has looked very good, certainly better than Harris, however most of his yards have come when the Steelers have been behind and in passing situations.

The biggest problems with the Steelers rushing attack is a terrible offensive line and anemic passing game that rarely throws more than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage.

Warren has looked very good, certainly better than Harris, however most of his yards have come when the Steelers have been behind and in passing situations.

The biggest problems with the Steelers rushing attack is a terrible offensive line and anemic passing game that rarely throws more than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage.
Do you expect this to change?

Does your league not give points for yards gained in these situations?

Najee

Down​

DownNumPct
First7367.6%
Second3027.8%
Third54.6%

Yds To Go​

ToGoNumPct
0-31110.2%
4-61312.0%
7-108074.1%
11+43.7%
Avg Yards to go8.5

Jaylan

Down​

DownNumPct
First1344.8%
Second1448.3%
Fourth26.9%

Yds To Go​

ToGoNumPct
0-3413.8%
4-6310.3%
7-102069.0%
11+26.9%
Avg Yards to go8.3

I detest misinformation.
The Steelers have played (and I use that term loosely) 32 quarters of football this season, so the 4th qtr of the Buffalo and Philly games totals 6.25% of their season. Warren had 28% of his carries for 33% of his rushing yards, 50% of his receptions for 61% of his receiving yards, and 34% of his touches for 44% of his total yards in those 2 quarters alone. He has 12 plays of 10+ yards this season, 7 of them came in those 2 quarters, 2 others came earlier in the Philly game on a 2nd and 13 draw and a 3rd and 20 screen pass, and another came in Miami on a 3rd and 22 screen pass. 92% of his rushing yards and 100% of his receiving yards have come while trailing this year vs. 61% and 83% for Najee. Warren has 7 carries for 1.7 ypc when ahead or tied vs. 42 carries for 3.33 ypc for Najee.

Again, these are small sample sizes, but it's crystal clear that Warren's numbers have benefited from the more favorable conditions. That doesn't mean he sucks, or that Najee would have done better in those circumstances, but context certainly matters and should be acknowledged, especially by someone who says they "detest misinformation". He absolutely has not been used in the same situations (in the same proportions) as Najee.

We can throw numbers out as much as anyone wants to. But what it comes down to for me is what Mike Tomlin plans to do with him. And from what he has said this past week or so, I'm taking a chance on rostering Warren. Am I expecting him to be the next Ken Walker? No. But there aren't many other RBs on the waiver wire this time of year with his opportunities or possibilities.

I know things change and numbers only mean so much but:
SplitValueAttYdsY/ATD1DTgtRecYdsY/RTD1DCtch%Y/Tgt
Score DifferentialLeading471.80010000.0%0
Tied351.70100000
Trailing221416.4091312887.30392.3%6.8

I don't think it is a surprise that the two games where the Steelers were blown out (Buf & Phi) Warren saw 44% of his opportunities and 57% of his yardage on the season.

ETA: Warren is still averaging almost a full yard per carry 4.38 more than Najee 3.47 outside of those games, but their yards per reception is identical (4.8 to 4.7). Game context is still something to consider when evaluating Warren v Najee.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread