What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Javonte Williams, DEN (1 Viewer)

We all have one of those guys we like more then we should. Williams is that guy for me. So talented. Feel like I'm always waiting for that big game that defines his value. Just never comes. Week in and week out I plug him into my lineup and he underperforms.

Home game against Patriots. Patriots do most things poorly. One thing they do well is stop the run. I'm on the fence on starting him. Game script will be in his favor. Is this a 20 carry 45 yard game?

We all have one of those guys we like more then we should. Williams is that guy for me. So talented. Feel like I'm always waiting for that big game that defines his value. Just never comes. Week in and week out I plug him into my lineup and he underperforms.

Home game against Patriots. Patriots do most things poorly. One thing they do well is stop the run. I'm on the fence on starting him. Game script will be in his favor. Is this a 20 carry 45 yard game?
I think he has an Al Bundy game this week :)

Your not helping. My love for him already blinds me and now u bring up Mr. Bundy? Ha ha

Javonte has been my flex for most of the year. I've been obsessed looking for a replacement this week in a tough matchup. Then some random tweet from some guy I've never heard of spoke to me. Like biblically spoke to me.

Kyle Lindemann
@LuckIsMadeFF
Overthinking your start/sit decisions for this weekend can be agonizing, but if there’s one principle I’ve always lived by in fantasy it’s this: Ride or Die with the guys who got you here.

I actually had to look that up. That would be awesome. I am more concerned with 15 carries for 35 yards, no TDs, and few, if any catches. I have McBride and LaPorta at TE and tempted to bench Williams for a safer floor and the possibility of a decent ceiling. Will be pulling out what little hair I have left on top of my head before the games tomorrow...

What's the outlook for Javonte in this Wilson-less offense? Does Payton go very run heavy? How much of a committee is it going to be?
Payton may not have much of a choice, given his options at QB right now. A healthy Javonte starts or leads a committee at a minimum. If he's ever going to break out, this is the year. He's their best between-the-tackles runner and should be targeted on a lot of check down passes, and he is their goal line back. I like his outlook a lot assuming the knee is 100%.

It hurts Williams efficiency
From just the RB position I expect Williams to be better with one more offseason to keep rehabing and to get 100%. If Williams can play the Ingram role like how NO's offense ran he could get a good number of carries, especially in the red zone. The question comes - how good will this offense be and will they be able to score points.

From Williams perspective I expect him to be a better runner this year. Have to see how this offense looks come September.

It hurts Williams efficiency
From just the RB position I expect Williams to be better with one more offseason to keep rehabing and to get 100%. If Williams can play the Ingram role like how NO's offense ran he could get a good number of carries, especially in the red zone. The question comes - how good will this offense be and will they be able to score points.

From Williams perspective I expect him to be a better runner this year. Have to see how this offense looks come September.
Very true. His return to form after injury just might offset the downgrade in QB from an efficiency standpoint.

Three years ago I had my first dynasty team. He was one of the building blocks of my team that I built around. Thankfully a footnote to the team now but forever a lesson for how fleeting value can be.

I remember watching highlights of him breaking tackles and salivating. Turd emoji.

Three years ago I had my first dynasty team. He was one of the building blocks of my team that I built around. Thankfully a footnote to the team now but forever a lesson for how fleeting value can be.

I remember watching highlights of him breaking tackles and salivating. Turd emoji.
Highlights of him salivating should have been a red flag.

(Eighsse always with the serious, helpful, relevant football input ... You're welcome)

The issue for those that roster Williams is cost; nearly everyone that drafted him or dealt for him paid a high opportunity cost- likely a first round rookie pick or another ceiling projected asset via trade.

Dealing him away now means that you are taking a loss. Couple this with high expectations (we all, to some degree, whether we admit it or not) have a visceral reaction to players that elicits a slight clouding or our judgement.

He’s likely never going to return the capital invested in him. He is salvageable, though. He should still emerge as the RB 1, but that role looks a lot less inviting now.

The investment in Javonte Williams is a sunken cost. It is water under the bridge, and a rational assessment of his value moving forward suggests that Javonte is unlikely ever to be the back we hoped for. IMO, Javonte is a sell-now candidate while he is still viewed as the Broncos' RB1.

The investment in Javonte Williams is a sunken cost. It is water under the bridge, and a rational assessment of his value moving forward suggests that Javonte is unlikely ever to be the back we hoped for. IMO, Javonte is a sell-now candidate while he is still viewed as the Broncos' RB1.
Shouldn’t we see how he is fully recovered (hopefully) from a very serious injury before tar and feathering him?

I traded Jameson Williams and a 2nd for him right after McLaughlin's big game last year. I am still happy with that trade, last year was coming off an ACL tear, i had no expectations for him at all.

Lets see how he does this year now that he should be 100% during the offseason. Instead of trying to rehab an injury he is putting on strength and working on conditioning.

Shouldn’t we see how he is fully recovered (hopefully) from a very serious injury before tar and feathering him?
Perhaps but some players just don't return to the same level. Some people can argue that Javonte was not the most explosive guy to begin with so losing some of it is not a big deal but I go the other way and say he can't afford to lose any of it.

But the key here are the words coming out of Sean Payton's mouth, because he's been pretty forthright with the public regarding his RB's. He told everyone last off-season that Javonte was their starting RB, that he'd be ready for the season. Was totally shooting us straight. Now he's telling us it's a 5 man competition for roles and making the roster and I think he's shooting us straight again. That to me is a heavy implication he has doubts that Javonte is going to be the same guy he was before he tore up his knee and I believe that to be especially true because I think he really likes Javonte and the work he's put in to return, but he's got to do what's best for the team. It just appears to me everything he's telling us now is that they can't just hand the starting job over to him and I can only assume it's because they are not confident he's going to make full recovery to what he was and they'd know more about it then any of us.

I am not suggesting we tar and feathering Javonte Williams. It is certainly possible that Williams will return to his former role and value. That optimism is hopefully holding his trade value decently high. I am, however, suggesting that this is the window to sell while you can still fetch a fair return.

Users who are viewing this thread