What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James Robinson, NE (1 Viewer)

Yeah, totally there is precedent. I had selection bias for a moment. I was thinking of Swift, Taylor, Akers, those guys that I didn't think were mistakes. My own bias crept in there for a second. The league is certainly comfortable, it seems, drafting guys with those speed scores and 40s in the first and second. 

I'd definitely give a 3rd to 5th rounder for him. Jags would probably gladly accept it but they know he's soooo cheap. Less than a $1M cap hit next year too. That's insanely valuable for a contender.

If I were a contender I'd greatly consider giving up the draft pick for a one-year rental vs. a dart throw with the same pick. The same pick hitting however gets more years of cost control. 

Let's say he were to be traded for a 3rd round pick. Which team would make sense to pay that price for him and make him their feature back for a few years? 

Seattle, Arizona, Miami come to mind. Maybe someone like NO or Tenn or others with an aging back move on from the former superstar to get a low cost talent.

Snap counts for Robinson so far...

wk 1 - 64%
2 - 73%
3 - 59%
4 - 95%
5 - 68%
6 - 85%
7 - bye
8 - 11%
9 - DNP
10 - 59%
11 - 63%
12 - 52%
13 - 44%

So slightly down last week but he's been limited ever since injury. Not sure when or if he'll see 70% ROS.

Sounds like the relationship had a little mending:

@_John_Shipley

Urban Meyer says they had a quality control coach make up a cutup of James Robinson's runs against the Titans in Week 5 to show them to Robinson. He said him and Robinson "had a fantastic meeting" and he's opting to now have those same kind of meetings with the whole team.

And Urban actually has come to understand what he's got here:

@_John_Shipley

Meyer says Robinson was taking care of the ball and was a top-5 back at the time of the first Titans game, then the heel injury happened in Week 8. Said the meeting with Robinson was "A+", and notes most of those type of meetings are

https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status/1468619902827307009

Good. In the one redraft league I have him in (I indeed drafted him because I liked his ADP), I'm in the running and I feel good starting him now. Feed him. 

I don't regret trading him in dynasty (It netted me Micah Parsons and Dallas Goedert, plus Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah and Jamin Davis in the end), but he certainly is a quality NFL talent. Trading him was tough and it's tough to watch him have such success, but sometimes you have to give to get. 

And Meyer used his injuries last week as an excuse to cut back on his playing time.  That makes me less confident that all the buzz this week around Robinson will lead to better production. Meyer might be tempted to use his injury status, again, to roll with Hyde.

James Robinson (knee, heel) was held out of Thursday's practice as part of a "load management plan."

It means Robinson has gotten in only one limited practice this week, but the Jags have announced he will no longer practice on Thursdays. It makes all the sense in the world for a player who is banged up but still healthy enough to play. All signs are pointing toward a "squeaky wheel" game for Robinson following last Sunday's nine-touch fiasco, with coach Urban Meyer admitting his usage was nonsensical and Trevor Lawrence calling for more work. We know the Jags' game environment will be awful against the Titans' tough run defense, but Robinson can be counted on for 15-20 touches and RB2 returns. 

SOURCE: Mark Long on Twitter 

Dec 9, 2021, 6:05 PM ET

James Robinson rushed six times for four yards in the Jaguars' Week 14 loss to the Titans.

Robinson failed to even hit double-digit rushing yardage on the day, which basically tells you everything you need to know about how this game went for the Jaguars’ offense. Still, the second-year back did see six carries to Carlos Hyde’s one after questionable usage in Week 13, so that’s a little bit of a bright spot for Robinson managers. Robinson will look to get back on track in Week 15 with an appealing matchup against the Texans up next

- NBC SportsEDGE

James Robinson (heel, knee) was limited in Wednesday’s practice.

Robinson has been playing through limited tags for weeks. With little success thanks to injuries, Jacksonville’s terrible offense, and coach Urban Meyer. He gets a great on-paper draw against Houston this week, however.

Dec 15, 2021, 6:27 PM ET

If I am Bevell and I heard how Lawrence feels, I am giving Robinson everything he can handle. 

That would be logical but IMO Bevell is a HUGE part of the problem.

Jags offensive scheme sucks and it does nothing to help Lawrence or Robinson. 

That would be logical but IMO Bevell is a HUGE part of the problem.

Jags offensive scheme sucks and it does nothing to help Lawrence or Robinson. 
True. But the volume SHOULD still be there. High risk / high reward to me. 

It's the playoffs. I'm here to win. 

James Robinson (heel, knee) did not practice Thursday.

This was expected after the Jaguars put in a "load management plan" for their starting running back last week. Robinson will not see much practice time the rest of the way, but he should be ready to face the Texans on Sunday. Under a new coaching staff and with Carlos Hyde (concussion) likely to sit, Robinson could break out in the first week of the fantasy playoffs. 

Dec 16, 2021, 7:07 PM ET

Congrats, man! I wanted to actually bench Harris for him, and couldn't bring myself to do it. Should have. 

Yeah, we had real tough decisions this week. I think Mixon will probably still do well. 18 points isn't a tall barrier so he can at least match that. I was really hoping for like 26+ points from Robinson this week. 

Hindsight should have sat Conner for Mixon and Robinson like you said lol. Didn't anticipate Cardinals sucking so bad against Lions.

Awful news. One of the great stories of 2020, ruined this year by Urban Meyer's completely perplexing usage.

One wonders if his heel issue before wasn't related to this and the Jaguars were just not on the ball medically or forthcoming-wise. They were so shady operating in every other way that it wouldn't surprise me. 

Anyway, it's too bad and I hope he recovers. He didn't really have a step to lose. 

Ans so ends the under-appreciated Robinson for a while. 

Never got the respect he deserved, even by his own idiot coach. 

The Robinson owner in my dynasty league Is shook. They lost Akers in the preseason. Moreover, they had great offers for Akers (pre-injury) and Robinson earlier this season (they’d told me a couple different offers they considered too low, but I thought they were fair).

What a shame. Kid ran hard & earned every yard. They say the fire that burns the hottest burns out the fastest. #RIP Robinson’s Achilles, we hardly knew ye. :(  

The one potential saving grace is that Akers has shown that Achilles heels can be recovered from more quickly than in the past.

That said, we don’t know yet how Akers will look compared to prior to his injury. Or that Akers is just a freak of nature.

One wonders if his heel issue before wasn't related to this and the Jaguars were just not on the ball medically or forthcoming-wise. They were so shady operating in every other way that it wouldn't surprise me. 
We will never really know because teams do not reveal those types of details about injuries to the public.

Cascade injuries are definitely a thing however and a large part of why teams medical staffs will try to manage a players use in games and practice if they have something injured, even if minor.

I think FF managers too often overlook this as of course they just want their players to get the ball and to produce.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Ans so ends the under-appreciated Robinson for a while. 

Never got the respect he deserved, even by his own idiot coach. 

The Robinson owner in my dynasty league Is shook. They lost Akers in the preseason. Moreover, they had great offers for Akers (pre-injury) and Robinson earlier this season (they’d told me a couple different offers they considered too low, but I thought they were fair).

What a shame. Kid ran hard & earned every yard. They say the fire that burns the hottest burns out the fastest. #RIP Robinson’s Achilles, we hardly knew ye. :(  
Probably miss most of next season too.  If not, I wouldn’t expect much next year, if ever.

What we buying for? Even if he’s back middle of next year he’s probably valueless for fantasy and then will in all likelihood have to compete for a starting gig wherever he signs. I like the talent and rumored work ethic. Late 2? 3? Later? 

What we buying for? Even if he’s back middle of next year he’s probably valueless for fantasy and then will in all likelihood have to compete for a starting gig wherever he signs. I like the talent and rumored work ethic. Late 2? 3? Later? 
No more than a 3rd round dynasty rookie pick and I wouldn’t give that.  ETN will own that backfield most likely and he has his own injury issues 

Last edited by a moderator:
No more than a 3rd round dynasty rookie pick and I wouldn’t give that.  ETN will own that backfield most likely and he has his own injury issues 
Right you’d have to be in the mindset that you get nothing next year. But then he’d be just turning 25 in August 2023 and possibly on a new team with a good shot at starting. He’s averaged 4.5 ypc on 400 carries over the last 2 years on a terrible team with terrible qb play and terrible weapons around him. I think that’s enough of a sample to conclude he’s talented enough to see touches somewhere. All assuming a clean recovery which is of course no gimme but looking a little more optimistic maybe.

but looking a little more optimistic maybe
I'd say you're looking at it very optimistically. I'd give a fourth for him. Maybe. He's really, as of this moment, cooked and has no team to play for. I mean, his is a two-year window just like the window for winning in dynasty. 

I'd say you're looking at it very optimistically. I'd give a fourth for him. Maybe. He's really, as of this moment, cooked and has no team to play for. I mean, his is a two-year window just like the window for winning in dynasty. 
Thanks for the perspective. Is this because of the difficulty recovering from an Achilles? Or not liking him as a player? I can’t imagine not giving a 4th. What’s the 2 year window hit rate players outside the top 30? Can’t be too high. You’d certainly be buying hoping his age 25 year 20 months from now he’s completely healthy. A moderate risk for sure. 

Thanks for the perspective. Is this because of the difficulty recovering from an Achilles? Or not liking him as a player? I can’t imagine not giving a 4th. What’s the 2 year window hit rate players outside the top 30? Can’t be too high. You’d certainly be buying hoping his age 25 year 20 months from now he’s completely healthy. A moderate risk for sure. 
I should begin this by totally agreeing, that in normal situations, a hit rate on players outside the top thirty seems very small. I'm not sure the numbers, but they're low. FantasyPros did great work on stuff like this; I wish I had it offhand or memorized. But yeah, your point is taken. 

And I like him as a player, so that's not totally the issue. The issue is that there's a problem with my personal opinion about liking him as a player. I'm enamored of speed. He didn't have a ton to begin with. That's sort of a negative mark in my book. I rostered him last year. Before the draft, I shipped him for a first-round pick, Dallas Goedert, and a second round pick or something like that. I forget the third thing. Think it was a second rounder. But I dealt him because I wasn't enamored of his speed. More importantly, I knew Urban Meyer wasn't because he said so as soon as he took the reins to the squad. So I dumped him for that kitty plus the thought that he'd be replaced. And he was. So I should end it there, right?

I can't though. Seeing what he did this year in the situations he was given a chance changed my mind about him as a player. Or the announcers' excitement changed my mind. Or the story did. Or Urban's utter jackassery. Whatever the case, my mind was changed. So there's no animus nor unreasonable hang up. But now that said, you have to factor in his loss of speed he didn't have to lose because of the difficulty fully recovering, and you've got a major problem in my problem, because my evaluation has changed because of his results and vision and burst, but now a big part of all that is compromised tremendously. 

So there you have my thought process on him. One last thing...

Plus he's a UFA after next year and the league moves so quickly. He's going to have to prove himself all over again to a team, and who knows if he'll pick the right one or if the right one will want him. That's why, given my league (51 man rosters, IDP league - typical Zealots league) I might not pay a third for him, and would maybe (I probably likely would) value him as a fourth. With a third round pick I can pick somebody on defense or at LB or DE, two positions of need in that league. 

Anyway, it was a great story, sidetracked by Meyer, likely ending sadly. 

On a personal level, I'd say that this has totally changed my thought processes about certain things in the NFL and talent levels and judging guys. 

Guys can shine. If the coach believes and gives volume, guys can be golden with the right environment. If you have a coach making the wrong decision, or running you out of town simply because he values a different trait than you have, he can totally torpedo your career. 

This has made me more sensitive to that. I wonder how many guys' careers were torpedoed because they were stuck with a guy like Meyer, a guy who didn't believe in the skill set as presented. 

Sad for the individual, it is. 

I should begin this by totally agreeing, that in normal situations, a hit rate on players outside the top thirty seems very small. I'm not sure the numbers, but they're low. FantasyPros did great work on stuff like this; I wish I had it offhand or memorized. But yeah, your point is taken. 

And I like him as a player, so that's not totally the issue. The issue is that there's a problem with my personal opinion about liking him as a player. I'm enamored of speed. He didn't have a ton to begin with. That's sort of a negative mark in my book. I rostered him last year. Before the draft, I shipped him for a first-round pick, Dallas Goedert, and a second round pick or something like that. I forget the third thing. Think it was a second rounder. But I dealt him because I wasn't enamored of his speed. More importantly, I knew Urban Meyer wasn't because he said so as soon as he took the reins to the squad. So I dumped him for that kitty plus the thought that he'd be replaced. And he was. So I should end it there, right?

I can't though. Seeing what he did this year in the situations he was given a chance changed my mind about him as a player. Or the announcers' excitement changed my mind. Or the story did. Or Urban's utter jackassery. Whatever the case, my mind was changed. And now that said, but now you have to factor in his loss of speed he didn't have to lose because of the difficulty fully recovering, and you've got a major problem in my problem, because my evaluation has changed because of his results and vision and burst, but now a big part of all that is compromised tremendously. 

So there you have my thought process on him. One last thing...

Plus he's a UFA after next year and the league moves so quickly. He's going to have to prove himself all over again to a team, and who knows if he'll pick the right one or if the right one will want him. That's why, given my league (51 man rosters, IDP league - typical Zealots league) I might not pay a third for him, and would maybe (I probably likely would) value him as a fourth. With a third round pick I can pick somebody on defense or at LB or DE, two positions of need in that league. 
It’s a totally fine perspective and exactly what I was hoping to get out of this when I asked. IDP changes it a little bit (I assume, I don’t play but I guess that a few extra players are thrown in the earlier rounds). 

On a personal level, I'd say that this has totally changed my thought processes about certain things in the NFL and talent levels and judging guys. 

Guys can shine. If the coach believes and gives volume, guys can be golden with the right environment. If you have a coach making the wrong decision, or running you out of town simply because he values a different trait than you have, he can totally torpedo your career. 

This has made me more sensitive to that. I wonder how many guys' careers were torpedoed because they were stuck with a guy like Meyer, a guy who didn't believe in the skill set as presented. 

Look at Cordarrelle Patterson! 9 years for someone to figure out hey this guy is a monster with the ball in his hands maybe we should let him run it a ton because he has some receiving chops too. Almost faded away into oblivion.

It’s a totally fine perspective and exactly what I was hoping to get out of this when I asked. IDP changes it a little bit (I assume, I don’t play but I guess that a few extra players are thrown in the earlier rounds). 
Thanks. Nice to hear. Yeah, there's usually a defensive run on the top linebackers and DEs in the mid-second round and the defensive players start to get selected with more frequency around the third. A third should yield you a defensive starter in a year or two if you do it right and the player performs as expected, so that's a tricky one to give up. Talking bona fide starter in that range. 

So a third or fourth for Robinson now, most likely a fourth. I know there would be people that play Zealots, and do better than I do, that would say he's worth a third. I wouldn't begrudge them that. 

I think Cordarrelle Patterson is a great example of how the coaching staffs vision of a player along with other circumstances can play a huge factor as far as a players opportunity to shine.

There are a ton of moving parts in play here and there are many very talented players who never really get the opportunity to reach their full potential in the league or only get that opportunity for a short period of time.

Users who are viewing this thread