What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Isaiah Spiller, LAC (2 Viewers)

Chargers selected RB Isaiah Spiller with the No. 123 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.

Spiller (6'/217) declared for the draft after a three-year career at Texas A&M in which he totaled 2,993 yards and 25 touchdowns as a rusher and 585 yards and one score on 74 receptions. He was named first-team All-SEC in 2020 and second-team in 2021. Spiller skipped the 40 at the Combine and then disappointed with a 4.63 at his Pro Day, although an injury might have affected his performance. Spiller's versatile skillset gives him multiple paths to value in the NFL. He projects on the Marlon Mack spectrum as a back who should be capable in all facets of the game while not necessarily excelling in any one element. He should be able to carve out an immediate role as a change of pace to Austin Ekeler, while capable of leading a committee in the event that Ekeler misses time.

Apr 30, 2022, 1:03 PM ET

Isaiah Spiller RB, TXAM

Height: 6-0, Weight: 217

Arguably the most talented all-around RB in the class. Disappointing pre-draft process sunk his stock. Does everything well and has a feature-back frame. Natural receiver who can contort his body to find the football downfield. Only thing missing is breakaway speed. Fun addition. (Chris Trapasso)

Man this dude fell off a cliff.  Wasn't that long ago he was in the running for Breece Hall as the top RB of this class.  What happened?

Man this dude fell off a cliff.  Wasn't that long ago he was in the running for Breece Hall as the top RB of this class.  What happened?
I guess it’s mostly based on his poor testing. Looks like a decent runner to me. Wouldn’t be shocked with him sticking around the league for a long time albeit never as a team’s top back.

Juicy landing spot.  
it is but I feel like I fall for this spot every year…first Jackson, then Kelly and then Rountree…now, I think Spiller is a far better prospect and I really like the pick and value of it so it is probably not a fair comp but it does feel a little like Groundhog Day.

Last edited by a moderator:
it is but I feel like I fall for this spot every year…first Kelly and then Rountree…now, I think Spiller is a far better prospect and I really like the pick and value of it so it is probably not a fair comp but it does feel a little like Groundhog Day.
Don’t forget Jackson.

I think there is room at the Chargers for a RB to earn some work.  For all of his accomplishments, Ekeler (who turns 27 this month) has yet to rush for 1,000 yards in a season.  However, one of Ekeler's best strengths is his ability as a receiver out of the backfield, and that is going to put a cap on Spiller's fantasy value.  Spiller is one of the better receiving backs in this class, but he is not usurping that role from Ekeler.  Spiller will get some work as a rotational back for the Chargers, but his real value will only be realized if he gets volume, and barring an Ekeler injury, we are not seeing that anytime soon.

I would draft Spiller to my fantasy squad, but not before the third round now.  His value is too speculative.

socrates said:
I think there is room at the Chargers for a RB to earn some work.  For all of his accomplishments, Ekeler (who turns 27 this month) has yet to rush for 1,000 yards in a season.  However, one of Ekeler's best strengths is his ability as a receiver out of the backfield, and that is going to put a cap on Spiller's fantasy value.  Spiller is one of the better receiving backs in this class, but he is not usurping that role from Ekeler.  Spiller will get some work as a rotational back for the Chargers, but his real value will only be realized if he gets volume, and barring an Ekeler injury, we are not seeing that anytime soon.

I would draft Spiller to my fantasy squad, but not before the third round now.  His value is too speculative.
Agreed and remember, it's all about Justin Herbert.  Chargers are committed on maximizing him with every arsenal they can provide.  One thing I noticed about Chargers last year is that their RB except Ekeler couldn't punch in the goal-line. 

Beside the terrible combine results, I like everything about Spiller except for his somewhat tendency to dance behind the scrimmage. 

The Athletic's Daniel Popper considers rookie Isaiah Spiller the "front-runner for the No. 2 running back job" heading into training camp.

Spiller should give the Chargers an upgrade on backups Joshua Kelley and Larry Rountree, who both averaged under 3.5 YPC last season. The fourth-round rookie had a prolific career at Texas A&M, rushing for 2,993 yards and 25 touchdowns in three seasons as a starter. Spiller would have been drafted higher if not for running a slow forty (4.6) on a strained abductor muscle at his Pro Day. Spiller's blend of size and touchdown production could quickly make him the favorite for short-yardage and red-zone snaps.

SOURCE: The Athletic

May 14, 2022, 10:58 AM ET

Too early to tell, but I could see a situation in which Spiller moves into high end handcuff conversation territory alongside Pollard, Mattison, etc.

Is does feel like the Chargers have been trying to find a compliment for Ekeler for years. Obviously Rountree and Kelley haven't gotten the job done. Jackson was actually adequate in spurts just hurt often and is now a FA. I think Spiller could have legit value even outside of an injury to Ekeler.

Is does feel like the Chargers have been trying to find a complement for Ekeler for years. Obviously Rountree and Kelley haven't gotten the job done. Jackson was actually adequate in spurts just hurt often and is now a FA. I think Spiller could have legit value even outside of an injury to Ekeler.
Agreed.  My earlier post that I would not touch Spiller before the third round of rookie fantasy drafts was a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to the draft from me.  Prior to the NFL Draft (and even after a poor Combine performance), I had Spiller as no worse than an early second round dynasty pick.  He drops to the middle/back end of Round 2 for me due to his lack of day 2 draft capital, but, despite the presence of Ekeler, I don't hate Spiller's draft destination with the Chargers.  (If I have Ekeler on my dynasty team, I may be willing to invest even more to get Spiller.)  Spiller may not get the volume, especially in the passing game, you would prefer to see (especially in PPR), but he should earn some meaningful touches behind Ekeler this season, and he could be only an Ekeler injury away from weekly fantasy starter numbers.  I am still concerned that Spiller's early-career ceiling may be capped, but, with the expanded NFL season, RB depth is increasingly important for NFL teams.  Spiller is young and talented, and he is playing for one of the most exciting offenses in the NFL.  In what is a weak class of RBs, I will take my chances on Spiller.

Spiller went 1.10 and 2.4 in the drafts I've had so far, so he definitely retains value. Neither team who picked him had Ekeler. 
That's too high unless it's start one QB. I'll nab him where I can in the late 2nd if he falls. It's a reach otherwise. 

Just got him at the 2.07 in my last draft (12 team start 1qb PPR dynasty).  I couldn't believe he fell that far.  He's not only a great handcuff to Ekeler owners (not me), but carries some standalone value as well.  Even if he doesn't work out for me, the 2.07 isn't a great loss.  I got him in a couple more leagues in the early 2nd.  That's where he seems to be going in start 1qb 12 team leagues.

^^^Love him at this spot.   You're obviously signing up for a waiting game, but he should steadily add value with time.   I would hate to see it, but the "league winner" upside if there was an injury is probably worth an early 2nd in this draft.   And yeah, could still be an "emergency starter" in 2022 fantasy without anything wild happening. 

^^^Love him at this spot.   You're obviously signing up for a waiting game, but he should steadily add value with time.   I would hate to see it, but the "league winner" upside if there was an injury is probably worth an early 2nd in this draft.   And yeah, could still be an "emergency starter" in 2022 fantasy without anything wild happening. 
You completely understand the dynamics of this.  The guy owning Gibson took Brian Robinson at 2.06 before I took the guy who must wait.  I was counting on that.  IMO Spiller is the better prospect but I could be wrong.  It doesn't matter if you get him at 2.07 and he busts, because in the whole scheme of things, busting on a pick at 2.07 won't kill your team long term.  I wanted Tyler Allgeier too and he was taken after my pick and I tried trading for that pick, but I think Spiller is the better choice long term.  I love Allgeier's landing spot too.

Thought he was another that was injured during the combine. 
The agent said he had an abdominal injury which limited his training for the combine. Of course he said this after Spiller had a dismal combine. The agent said everyone will see what kind of player he really is at the pro day. He ran even slower at the pro day. Make of that what you will.

The agent said he had an abdominal injury which limited his training for the combine. Of course he said this after Spiller had a dismal combine. The agent said everyone will see what kind of player he really is at the pro day. He ran even slower at the pro day. Make of that what you will.
Hey @Ilov80s none of this is directed at you, just responding because I have been reading through this thread and doing some other brief research googling, he did not actually run the 40 at the combine because of an abductor strain (not abdominal), and then once he had his proday he actually improved his vertical jump from 30 to 35" and ran the 40 at what was originally reported as 4.60 but I am seeing reported as 4.64. Certainly less than ideal. He said afterwards that he overcame a hamstring injury between the combine and proday.

IDK, maybe it was an abdominal muscle and maybe it was just agent speak, but I see guys docked for poor athletic testing when they were injured and it is (often) as though it doesn't matter to evaluators (including in the NFL) whatsoever. Sounds he like he overcame two injuries during this process. I don't think anybody was claiming he was going to run much faster than that anyway. Like what 4.58? People mentioned Bell but Hunt also ran 4.62 IIRC. 

Anyway I have cautious optimism but I feel like Spiller is a much higher pedigree than anybody else the Chargers have brought in behind Ekeler in the last few years. I think they want to limit Ekeler's abuse and Spiller is a guy that can come in and do that. As handcuffs go, he is one that should have decent stand alone value. Especially in this offense. Why wouldn't people want more of this offense? 

He was in the argument of best in class, albeit a low ranking class, when the combine/pro day killed his stock. His draft capital really hurt. Then he went to a team with a bonafide #1 rb., but a great offense. 

Now I feel he’s a steal. I’m targeting him. Gus Edwards stats if Eckler stays healthy. It’s a long season. I’m betting he shows up and they use him a ton. 

The Athletic's Daniel Popper reports Chargers fourth-round RB Isaiah Spiller is "showcasing his pass-catching ability." 

Per Popper, Spiller has "displayed some polished route running, solid hands and a north-south after-the-catch burst in these first two days of camp." It's not a surprise for a 21-year-old (next month) who entered the league with 74 career receptions at Texas A&M. Spiller is battling Larry Rountree and Joshua Kelley for No. 2 duties behind pass-catcher extraordinaire Austin Ekeler, but that does not mean he will be expected to catch zero passes. We would expect Spiller to beat out the unimpressive Rountree and Kelley, creating potential low-end FLEX value. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jul 28, 2022, 6:35 PM ET

I don't read anything into the fact that Spiller played behind Kelly and Rountree tonight. That was expected because it's a three-way competition and he's the rookie.

But although his stats were decent, I thought he looked a bit slow. He had good vision and footwork and was able to make the first guy miss, but he didn't parlay that into darting into the open field for a big gain. He parlayed it into getting tackled by the second guy after another yard or two because he lacked the burst to break away.

Josh Kelly looked slightly better, IMO.

Drafted him as a cuff to Ekeler, but not sure what to do now. Seems like they'd only sign Michel if they weren't happy with the group they have behind Ekeler.

Drafted him as a cuff to Ekeler, but not sure what to do now. Seems like they'd only sign Michel if they weren't happy with the group they have behind Ekeler.
Overthinking this. Signing him doesn't mean he's better than all or even any of them, it just means he's more valuable than whoever they cut to make roster room. He might end up getting more time than Spiller but that is not the correct thing to infer today from this.

Overthinking this. Signing him doesn't mean he's better than all or even any of them, it just means he's more valuable than whoever they cut to make roster room. He might end up getting more time than Spiller but that is not the correct thing to infer today from this.
Maybe that's the case. Complicating the issue was Spiller's sprained ankle. Curious to get more thoughts as we move forward. We've got big rosters so I can afford to hang on for a weeks at the very least...

Maybe that's the case. Complicating the issue was Spiller's sprained ankle. Curious to get more thoughts as we move forward. We've got big rosters so I can afford to hang on for a weeks at the very least...
Key word is maybe. It's just too early to know, we don't have any other hints just yet. If you can hold that's definitely the move.

As a Chargers fan who follows the team closely, I think Michel is clearly the RB2 to open the season. Health will drive what happens beyond that.

ETA: I would definitely hold Spiller.

As a Chargers fan who follows the team closely, I think Michel is clearly the RB2 to open the season. Health will drive what happens beyond that.

Greetings, good stuff.

2022(Redraft): Spiller simply is not ready to start the season and do the things you must do. They cannot jeopardize Herbert on a missed blitz pick up after they've poured several top Draft picks into the OL, this team if they stay healthy should cruise into the Playoffs despite a tough division. They have playmakers on Defense, I do worry a smidge about coaching but I know most of the fan base is on his side gambling on 4th down with this kind of firepower.

Michel is the RB2 and I already released Spiller, drafted him like 15th round last weekend, picked up Drake as he was signing in Baltimore, just felt like the right move this early. Spiller may very well become a factor later in the season but I can only carry 4-5 RBs, decisions had to be made ;)

Appreciate you chiming in from Bolt'ville

Appreciate the thoughts. As of now I can hold Michel and Spiller. It's not ideal but these are the cards dealt at the moment. Will stay tuned...

022(Redraft): Spiller simply is not ready to start the season and do the things you must do. They cannot jeopardize Herbert on a missed blitz pick up after they've poured several top Draft picks into the OL
Great point. Spiller may still have some potential down the line, but it’s a lot more important to protect the franchise QB - and Michel can do that.

I don’t think we’ve seen the last of Spiller but the time is presumably not now.

Echoing the others: yes, if you can easily hold him, hold him. But I'm definitely not excited about him in redraft. If he git the chance, I think he could excel, but it just doesn't seem like he is likely to get much opportunity this year.

Imagine taking a 4th round RB that most of the NFL passed up on late in the first, early 2nd in dynasty rookie drafts. This is yet another case of people not shifting gears with devy darlings. That list is long if you've been playing in devy/dynasty leagues long enough.

Michel will figure out a way to get cut eventually.

Michel will figure out a way to get cut eventually.

Pretty sure he signed a 1 year contract. If so, he won't get cut. He'll just play out the contract.

The Chargers have a cap challenge in 2023, so they may have to let him walk after this season even if he plays well.

Chargers coach Brendan Staley said that RB Isaiah Spiller (ankle) is fully healthy.​

He also mentioned special teams as a key component of why Joshua Kelley and Sony Michel have roster edges over Spiller, even though Michel doesn't play special teams. Either way, it doesn't look like there's much of a road map to Spiller getting carries this season without injuries ahead of him. He's not a must-hold in redraft leagues.
SOURCE: Daniel Popper on Twitter
Sep 29, 2022, 4:49 PM ET

Chargers coach Brandon Staley said RB Isaiah Spiller will be active for Week 7 against the Seahawks.​

Per The Athletic's Daniel Popper, Spiller was on the field for the team's red zone walkthrough, which is "usually a good indication of who is/isn’t in the plan", on Friday. With Josh Kelley likely out because of a knee issue and Sony Michel lumbering about at 2.8 yards per carry, the Chargers need a spark behind Austin Ekeler. Spiller, a fouth-round rookie, may give them that.
RELATED:

Users who are viewing this thread