What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Darrell Henderson, LAR (1 Viewer)

Penny 2.0? lol zero in common with Penny. 

Brown was involved about as much as I thought Henderson would. It was reported a few weeks ago Henderson was having trouble grasping the playbook. If you were counting on him from week 1 on you weren't paying attention. 

I remember Chubb was cut within the first couple of weeks in the short bench redraft I used to be in...

Brown was involved about as much as I thought Henderson would. It was reported a few weeks ago Henderson was having trouble grasping the playbook. If you were counting on him from week 1 on you weren't paying attention. 

I remember Chubb was cut within the first couple of weeks in the short bench redraft I used to be in...
The difference between he and Chubb is Chubb was a higher draft pick that would have been higher but for his knee a year and a half before the draft. And Chubb's initial draft capital in fantasy was lower -- his ADP was 9.something -- meaning the expenditure to cut wasn't as great.

Henderson was a mid-third from Memphis and not really that ballyhooed unless you were really following CFB.  Part of Henderson's ascent up the FF boards has been, let's face it, due to Gurley II and the arthritic knee. If he's having trouble grasping the playbook when opportunity has clearly already arisen, he's behind the curve even further than being the third back on his own team. 

Very disappointing to not see him used right off the bat. I believe in his receiving ability and in the real life and fantasy utility of that so I’ll hold for a couple more weeks in redraft and hope he can work his way on to the field.

I was just as shocked dropped my remaining $149 on him and not sure it gets it done 
Wow, hope you get him!

Someone dropped him in my keeper league and I'm hoping to scoop him up on waivers tonight.

We do 3 keepers but at least 1 has to be a rookie. Have Miles Sanders and Darwin already, but I'll be happy to take another dart throw for the RB on that offense.

Sounds like Penny. As does your advocacy and drum pounding for him. Has a hell of a lot more in common with Penny (competing with Carson and Mike Davis) than with Chubb (competing with Carlos Hyde who was also getting something like an 80% opportunity share). Also I didn’t see Henderson rip off any 60 yd TD’s yet, did you?

ETA: no matter what the raw talent it is, and always has been, a massive massive red flag for an RB to come into the league and hear things like “not understanding the playbook” or “not fitting into the scheme”... it is THE position that is easiest for a player to walk into.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like Penny. As does your advocacy and drum pounding for him. Has a hell of a lot more in common with Penny (competing with Carson and Mike Davis) than with Chubb (competing with Carlos Hyde who was also getting something like an 80% opportunity share). Also I didn’t see Henderson rip off any 60 yd TD’s yet, did you?
I wasnt "drum pounding" for penny. I hated penny as a pick from day 1. 

Penny was a 1st round draft pick, many thought drafted too early and had a 2-3 round grade on him

Penny showed up out of shape and was lazy in practice. Which is why he lost time to Carson

Henderson is neither of those 2 points. He is a 3rd round RB in what has been said is a below average rb class. the biggest knock on him predraft was if he could be an evert down back (maybe, maybe not). He is losing time to a guy who fits a 2 down back mold better than he does so far. he isnt iut if shape. he has had a hard time adjusting to the blocking and plays, nothing out of the ordinary for a rookie. 

He didnt rip off any 60 yard runs because he saw the ball 1 time week 1. 

I wonder if people advocate to dump Montgomery too since he lost a lot of touches to Mike Davis

By all means, plant your flag based on the first game of the season. I prefer to wait 

Sure, there are usage concerns early on, but I am hopeful that evolves over time just as Montgomery owners are hopeful that his usage I ceases with k owelsge of the offense and time. 

I have planted no flag. I have stated very, very reasonable concerns. I drafted Henderson in a lot of dynasties and one redraft. I am not happy right now, almost dropped him in the redraft for TyMont today. How is it not concerning that a player supposedly groomed for at least a pass catching role in this offense played one snap? Hell Gurley ran something like 24 routes during the game. This is not good. I know there are times to be patient in fantasy football. I’m not sure this is one of them in redraft. Small school player struggling to pick up an offense and getting near zero playing time. That’s a good combo for a roster clogger.

Not understanding the playbook as a RB, as Iceman03 points out, is a huge, huge red flag in redraft. For anybody. It's a coachspeak way of saying this guy won't see the field very soon. I loved Henerson's highlights at Memphis. Thought he was such a dynamic back, probably one of the most in the draft. I was bullish and might have drafted him at his ADP of 6-7th. But this doesn't bode well. 

I have planted no flag. I have stated very, very reasonable concerns. I drafted Henderson in a lot of dynasties and one redraft. I am not happy right now, almost dropped him in the redraft for TyMont today. How is it not concerning that a player supposedly groomed for at least a pass catching role in this offense played one snap? Hell Gurley ran something like 24 routes during the game. This is not good. I know there are times to be patient in fantasy football. I’m not sure this is one of them in redraft. Small school player struggling to pick up an offense and getting near zero playing time. That’s a good combo for a roster clogger.
Sure theres initial concern, but it's an overreaction after 1 week. If we are still here week 4 or 5 then we can hit the panic button in redraft. for dynasty hes a hold all year. 

Not understanding the playbook as a RB, as Iceman03 points out, is a huge, huge red flag in redraft. For anybody. It's a coachspeak way of saying this guy won't see the field very soon. I loved Henerson's highlights at Memphis. Thought he was such a dynamic back, probably one of the most in the draft. I was bullish and might have drafted him at his ADP of 6-7th. But this doesn't bode well. 
TBH I'm not sure I would have drafted him higher than RB4 in redraft 

TBH I'm not sure I would have drafted him higher than RB4 in redraft 
Yeah, I didn't. I went Elliott (1.02), Michel (2.11), Jacobs (3.02), McCoy (7.02) and Singletary (8.11), the last of which I was really salivating about and nervously appreciative for the drop.  Henderson went (10.06), so I had all those guys higher on my board. 

I got lucky with Singletary so my backs look so far like a good pull, even when I think of others I could have had instead of Michel (It was him or Kerryon to me, and the team situation isn't kind to either). Gurley II is the back that plummeted. He went at 3.09, so nobody was big on the L.A. backs' situation in the draft. 

So the Rams' playbook is a little more intense than Memphis' playbook.  I'm not shocked.

Skills are still there.  If we get towards the end of the season and Gurley is wearing down or being rested for the playoffs and Henderson is still no where to be seen, I'll start to maybe worry a bit about his mental/knowledge part of the game.  It was week 1 and a very close game.  Wouldn't blame anyone for cutting him loose in tight rostered redrafts though.

Yet some people did which there was/is no telling them (with good sound reasons) not to. 

Tex
Yes, I suppose I'd approach redraft like this:

if I drafted him as my rb3 or 4 I'd hold. I think there is potential there and it's unlikely that your rb4/5 is much better 

if I drafted him as my rb4 or 5 I'd probably cut after this week assuming the others on my team are better/there are better options on the wire, and he puts in another stinker

My opinion on redraft is based off of the short bench league I used to play where we had 5 bench spots. I'm not sure I'd cut him otherwise because Gurleys knee is unpredictable. 

hes for sure a hold for me in dynasty but I have concerns over his usage and playbook issues. cant deny that, it certainly is a red flag. I dont blame anyone for selling in dynasty. I'm stubborn so I'm with him until the bitter end unless someone is willing to give me a 1st, which I admit is ridiculous (I wouldnt pay it for him)

Yes, I suppose I'd approach redraft like this:

if I drafted him as my rb3 or 4 I'd hold. I think there is potential there and it's unlikely that your rb4/5 is much better 

if I drafted him as my rb4 or 5 I'd probably cut after this week assuming the others on my team are better/there are better options on the wire, and he puts in another stinker

My opinion on redraft is based off of the short bench league I used to play where we had 5 bench spots. I'm not sure I'd cut him otherwise because Gurleys knee is unpredictable. 

hes for sure a hold for me in dynasty but I have concerns over his usage and playbook issues. cant deny that, it certainly is a red flag. I dont blame anyone for selling in dynasty. I'm stubborn so I'm with him until the bitter end unless someone is willing to give me a 1st, which I admit is ridiculous (I wouldnt pay it for him)
I guess I should have clarified. I’m speaking from a Dynasty perspective. People were passing on N’Keal, Brown, Fant, Hock, etc.... which I couldn’t get my head wrapped around many do so and doing so at 1.4 or in the 1st round in general. I’m a Gurley owner and I drafted him in the 4th round. Drafting him was not that high I’m my list of priorities so getting him in the 4th I’m not married to him considering the future with the 2020 apocalypse in view.

Tex

I’m not sure
How do you bid your entire budget after one week on a rookie... that is undersized no less?

I get there was a ton of preseason hype and Henderson may prove to be a valuable player.   But do you have to have some poker player in you to make a bid that doesn't squander your entire budget?

How do you bid your entire budget after one week on a rookie... that is undersized no less?

I get there was a ton of preseason hype and Henderson may prove to be a valuable player.   But do you have to have some poker player in you to make a bid that doesn't squander your entire budget?
He’s talking about a dynasty league where you’re basically blowing your FAAB for a 2019 1st. Not a bad option

DropKick said:

Yes like Fred Savage said I’m spending my entire FAAB for a 2019 1st rounder... the rest of the players that would be on redraft wire throughout the year are rostered due to deep benches.. 

What’s going on here?  Is he struggling to adjust?  Just buried on depth chart? 

Thought for sure he’d be sprinkled in more than this.  

"Kamara usage"

What’s going on here?  Is he struggling to adjust?  Just buried on depth chart? 

Thought for sure he’d be sprinkled in more than this.  
Right? So disappointing. I had high hopes for him as a possible play if Gurley misses time but it's not looking positive as of right now. I knew Malcolm Brown would be involved as well but I thought Henderson would at least be getting some 3rd down reps or something by now.

I remember being excited when he fell to the 12 pick for me.  between him and Thompson my first and second round picks are looking like busters.  I should have traded those picks dammit.

My team is good enough where it doesn't really matter and I can hold him and see what happens next year, no one is going to give me anything for him at this point...

I don’t think we really know what’s going on - unless I missed it - but there has to be a story. Maybe he’s not picking up the playbook or the protections? How do you not give the kid a few touches here and there?

I think it’s 2 things.  1- he didn’t pick up the offense quickly and 2- McVay is trying to figure out the 6/1 D teams have been playing him since late last year.  These D’s are very effective at stopping the outside runs, jet sweeps and screen passes that have been a staple of our O and where DH fits best.  We’ve gotta start pounding the rock straight up the middle where the 6/1 is weak and that doesn’t fit DH’s playing style either.  Gurley and Brown are the guys until we can break teams from playing us that way.  

DARRELL HENDERSON RB, LOS ANGELES RAMS

When asked about Todd Gurley's Week 6 availability, coach Sean McVay talked up the Rams' depth at running back.

"Fortunately for us, we’ve got some depth at that position. ... The confidence we have in Malcolm (Brown). There’s also going to be a time that we’re going to rely on Darrell Henderson, it might end up being this week." Gurley wasn't able to practice on Wednesday after showing up with a thigh contusion and appears to be questionable for Week 6. Brown has seen almost all of the backup action this season and would be the favorite for the most touches if Gurley were to miss, but Henderson would also likely be in the mix for touches, especially as a pass-catcher. Gurley's practice participation is worth tracking on Thursday and Friday.

SOURCE: Joe Curley on Twitter

Oct 9, 2019, 9:28 PM ET

ugh. this is frustrating with deciding between Hilliman against a stout defense on a team with practically no offense on Thursday... or gambling on Henderson whom I have faith in from a talent perspective but has done zero to this point and could sit again anyways if Gurley plays

I picked up Henderson in most of my leagues.  I'll probably drop him on Sunday morning in most leagues if it looks like Gurley will start.  I might even look to what free agents are available from the Rams and 49ers and drop him Monday night.  On my running back needy teams, I'm going to keep him at least a week to see if Gurley finishes Monday night healthy. 

It is conceivable that Henderson gets 60%-70% of snaps if Gurley is hurt.  Malcolm Brown is a solid backup but he can't give the spark that Henderson might be able to give.  The Rams offense needs the spark that a good running back provides.  Jared Goff especially needs defenses to respect the run since he deals with pass rush so poorly.

Hard to see the Rams relying at all on Henderson even if Gurley is out, given how little they've trusted him to date. Hope I'm wrong. 

Hard to see the Rams relying at all on Henderson even if Gurley is out, given how little they've trusted him to date. Hope I'm wrong. 
Running backs who have good rookie seasons will often not get many snaps to start the year.  It's not because of their lack of talent.  It is because of their lack of experience.  The Rams have a JAG who is solid and experienced in the system in Malcolm Brown.  If Gurley goes down, Henderson will get at least 30% of snaps to begin.  It will be enough snaps for him to prove himself.  And Brown isn't good enough to prevent Henderson from ascending if Henderson plays well.  By all accounts, Henderson has looked good.  I'm excited to see what he can do if he gets the chance.  His pass-catching potential gives him an elite ceiling.

Running backs who have good rookie seasons will often not get many snaps to start the year.  It's not because of their lack of talent.  It is because of their lack of experience.  The Rams have a JAG who is solid and experienced in the system in Malcolm Brown.  If Gurley goes down, Henderson will get at least 30% of snaps to begin.  It will be enough snaps for him to prove himself.  And Brown isn't good enough to prevent Henderson from ascending if Henderson plays well.  By all accounts, Henderson has looked good.  I'm excited to see what he can do if he gets the chance.  His pass-catching potential gives him an elite ceiling.
I'd be interested to see these accounts (if recent) because in preseason there was a lot of talk about his struggles to pick up the blocking scheme and he really struggled as a runner in preseason. Agree on the receiving upside - it may not take many snaps for him to make a fantasy impact. 

Running backs who have good rookie seasons will often not get many snaps to start the year.  
 Not true at all.

Look at Jordan Howard, Aaron Jones, Tarik Cohen - 4th rd/5th rd draft picks. They all played within the first 6 games of their rookie season.

The 2019 RB class simply wasn't that good. I think Josh Jacobs, Miles Sanders, and Mattison will be the only ones to emerge from it,

Darrell Henderson simply had a terrible preseason. His 2.5 ypc might have something to do with it. 

Just traded Henderson as part of a package to acquire DeAndre Hopkins.  This news 2 hours earlier could have been nice. 830pm PST? 😂😂😂

Not true at all.

Look at Jordan Howard, Aaron Jones, Tarik Cohen - 4th rd/5th rd draft picks. They all played within the first 6 games of their rookie season.
Obviously there are a lot of examples of rookie running backs who were fantasy forces from game 1 onward.  And there are a lot of examples of rookie running backs who took half a season or more to get going.  Henderson not getting snaps to begin the year doesn't even come close to precluding him from being fantasy elite later in the season.  A healthy Gurley is the only serious hurdle.

Just traded Henderson as part of a package to acquire DeAndre Hopkins.  This news 2 hours earlier could have been nice. 830pm PST? 😂😂😂
Henderson would be a 13th-16th  round or later pick if a draft were held today.  Hopkins would be a 3rd round pick.  Henderson is an irrelevant aspect of any trade involving Hopkins.  10 Hendersons would not equal one Hopkins.

Henderson would be a 13th-16th  round or later pick if a draft were held today.  Hopkins would be a 3rd round pick.  Henderson is an irrelevant aspect of any trade involving Hopkins.  10 Hendersons would not equal one Hopkins.
I traded Henderson to acquire a pick. That pick was part of the package later used for the Hopkins+. A better pick would have made one of the other picks given a lower round cost.

ugh. this is frustrating with deciding between Hilliman against a stout defense on a team with practically no offense on Thursday... or gambling on Henderson whom I have faith in from a talent perspective but has done zero to this point and could sit again anyways if Gurley plays
Why would you ever consider Hillman? He shouldn't even be rostered IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread