What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Dalvin Cook, Free Agent (5 Viewers)

True but at the end of the day, we do know he’s gambling, that bid of 7 million can come off the table, they know that also, but it’s there career to gamble with and there livelihood .

Vikings offered cook 7 million per year and he didn’t take it, wtf, he’s crazy !!!
Some of these RBs and their agents are clearly not reading the tea leaves of today's RB market.
I can believe they offered him $7m BEFORE they cut him. I don't for one second believe they have an existing offer out to him for $7M.That makes no sense to me.

I'm willing to be man an island and say I think he made the right choice turning down the $7m. We'll see. But I think he'll hit close to that amount on a one year deal or maybe come in a shade under on a deal that gives guarantees him money and security in 2024, instead of being year to year with the Vikings. In other words, and I've said this a few times, his goal right now might be more along the lines of trying to obtain pay in the range of the franchise tag amounts given out to RB's. Would be surprising if he got it but Odell's contract taught me to never say never. But I do think he can land a Miles Sanders type of deal, which is basically $13M for 2 years if he can't get up to $7M on a one year deal. I think he has a market.

Vikings offered cook 7 million per year and he didn’t take it, wtf, he’s crazy !!!
Some of these RBs and their agents are clearly not reading the tea leaves of today's RB market.
I can believe they offered him $7m BEFORE they cut him. I don't for one second believe they have an existing offer out to him for $7M.That makes no sense to me.

I'm willing to be man an island and say I think he made the right choice turning down the $7m. We'll see. But I think he'll hit close to that amount on a one year deal or maybe come in a shade under on a deal that gives guarantees him money and security in 2024, instead of being year to year with the Vikings. In other words, and I've said this a few times, his goal right now might be more along the lines of trying to obtain pay in the range of the franchise tag amounts given out to RB's. Would be surprising if he got it but Odell's contract taught me to never say never. But I do think he can land a Miles Sanders type of deal, which is basically $13M for 2 years if he can't get up to $7M on a one year deal. I think he has a market.
Hey, it’s worth $1m or $2m just to not be on the Vikings. More power to him.

I thought I saw somewhere that Cook will get $2M this year from MIN. So the first $2M he gets from a new team will essentially be paid by the Vikings. IF teams are really only offering rock bottom contracts, it might not make any sense to go somewhere and PLAY for a total of $4M vs. watching at home for $2M. I doubt his offers will be that low, but if they are, he may just wait it out until a team has a starter go down and then be more in demand.

I thought I saw somewhere that Cook will get $2M this year from MIN. So the first $2M he gets from a new team will essentially be paid by the Vikings. IF teams are really only offering rock bottom contracts, it might not make any sense to go somewhere and PLAY for a total of $4M vs. watching at home for $2M. I doubt his offers will be that low, but if they are, he may just wait it out until a team has a starter go down and then be more in demand.

If I'm Cook, I'm staying home and watching for 2M...preserving the tread on my tires.

If I'm Cook, I'm staying home and watching for 2M...preserving the tread on my tires.
Not sure that would be a great idea. I think especially at a position like RB, once you are stop, you aren't getting it back. Le'Veon Bell was never the same, Ricky Williams had some success, but wasn't the same.

Cook sits out a year, suddenly he's a 29 year old RB, who had taken a step back in each of the prior 2 years before missing a year. Hard to see that guy having any better of a market.

Not sure that would be a great idea. I think especially at a position like RB, once you are stop, you aren't getting it back. Le'Veon Bell was never the same, Ricky Williams had some success, but wasn't the same.

Cook sits out a year, suddenly he's a 29 year old RB, who had taken a step back in each of the prior 2 years before missing a year. Hard to see that guy having any better of a market.
Agreed. I totally get taking your time, especially with the $2 mil in your back pocket, but he may as well retire if he sits out the season. The offers wouldn't be much more than the league minimum if he did IMO.

If there is any gas left, then I could certainly see a contender in 24 pick him up in case of injury to their incumbent RB in this situation. How much Dalvin gets paid in that spot is a different question

I think Cook (and Hopkins) know their markets far better than we do and their agents probably speak regularly with the teams. I think the players are just letting teams bid against each other until a few days before training camp, or maybe until some time later than that to get the best offer. If MIN has bid 7 Mil, maybe Miami will bid 7.2. If MIN says their bid is off the table tomorrow, Cook may have to make the harder choice, but no reason to think the 7 Mil isn't still out there. If they'd taken the last bid of 6 Mil or whatever from the Jets or whoever, Cook would never have had the offer of 7. No reason at all not to let the teams keep on bidding. People like us thinking they know what bid these guys should take ... need to realize we only know what little we know - not more than the players and their agents.
Don't you remember when we all knew better than Lamar Jackson about his contract? Well guess what!

I think Cook (and Hopkins) know their markets far better than we do and their agents probably speak regularly with the teams. I think the players are just letting teams bid against each other until a few days before training camp, or maybe until some time later than that to get the best offer. If MIN has bid 7 Mil, maybe Miami will bid 7.2. If MIN says their bid is off the table tomorrow, Cook may have to make the harder choice, but no reason to think the 7 Mil isn't still out there. If they'd taken the last bid of 6 Mil or whatever from the Jets or whoever, Cook would never have had the offer of 7. No reason at all not to let the teams keep on bidding. People like us thinking they know what bid these guys should take ... need to realize we only know what little we know - not more than the players and their agents.
Don't you remember when we all knew better than Lamar Jackson about his contract? Well guess what!
To be fair, there is a huge difference between a franchise QB in his prime and a RB or WR who are on the back nine of their careers.

I can't help but think this 7 million figure thrown out is BS. Just an attempt by an agent to drum up interest. I mean 7 million would still be top-10 RB money.

Got an alert saying the Patriots are the betting favorites now to sign Cook.

Seeing Patriots +160, Dolphins +200, Jets +400 and anyone else +1200 or longer here, so they're favourites but not by much

Interesting dynamic here...on one-hand I do get the Pats interest as they are thin at RB after Stevenson...if he goes down the RB position could be dicey and this offense is not in a position to deal with losing their best weapon...for some reason with all their draft picks this year they did not use one on an RB...on the other-hand like Hopkins Cook appears to be looking for the best deal possible...are they really going to pay a veteran RB a lot more $ than Stevenson who is going into the third year of his four year rookie deal totaling $4,229,056 (per Spotrac)...after passing on Hopkins at his price (and by all accounts not really coming close) I would be surprised if they stepped up with the type of deal that would land Cooks.

The Jets need Cook the most. Do they have the money to sign him though?
I disagree that the Jets need Cook. Even if Hall isn't fully healthy I believe Abanikandi is a good RB and they have enough RBs to hold the fort down until Hall is 100%.
Michael Carter and Bam Knight are average RBs. Abanikanda is a rookie. Dalvin Cook makes the Jet offense better.

The Jets need Cook the most.
They do?
Well Hall is on the PUP list and they appear to be all in this year.......so yeah, I would say there is a need.

Edit: I will agree maybe they do not need him "the most".
Being on the PUP list at this point is mostly meaningless. A player can come off it at any point in training camp. If he were on the PUP list to start the regular season, then he would be forced to miss time (the first 6 weeks). However, if he was activated during training camp, he could not go on IR and be eligible to return later in the season. He would have to go on season ending IR. So, it's in the team's best interest right now to just leave him on the PUP list until they are sure he is healthy enough to be able to play.

After reading this, I’m not looking to acquire Cook at all:

This Is Shocking News

Please disregard if this is old info, I just never remember hearing of Cook offering her $1 million and for her to turn it

So he's at once both offering her a million to keep quite while at the same time pursuing a defamation case over her allegations? That's hard for me to wrap my head around.

NBC Sports’ Mike Florio reports “there has been talk in league circles” of a suspension for free agent RB Dalvin Cook.
The rumors come after news of a Cook settlement offer for his 2021 Domestic Violence case. Cook played the last two seasons while the case, which has counterclaims of defamation, has played out. Cook’s off-field uncertainty is expected to limit him to one-year deals if he signs this preseason. With the trial set for next year, a suspension likely wouldn’t come before 2024.

Teams already seem skeptical enough about signing an aged RB. One facing a potential trial for domestic abuse seems like it might be too much of a stretch for most teams. He's probably done.

The huge settlement offer is news to me, and it comes from a real source.

However Florio is full of it and is always drumming up drama related to off field stuff that ends up being way overstated in the end. We gotta stop using him as a source for any league rumors.

Teams already seem skeptical enough about signing an aged RB. One facing a potential trial for domestic abuse seems like it might be too much of a stretch for most teams. He's probably done.
This could be a (less shocking) Ray Rice deal for sure. Why deal with the headaches for an old RB that wants much more $ than the capable backups you already have?

After reading this, I’m not looking to acquire Cook at all:

This Is Shocking News

Please disregard if this is old info, I just never remember hearing of Cook offering her $1 million and for her to turn it

So he's at once both offering her a million to keep quite while at the same time pursuing a defamation case over her allegations? That's hard for me to wrap my head around.
These two events probably aren't happening simultaneously. It's likely that he offered her $$$ and when she didn't accept, he filed the defamation lawsuit.

Javonte avoided it. Just sayin.
Say whatever you want. I'm starting to figure out it's generally not worth having any real discussions with you anyhow. Good luck this season.

Also heard a lot of chatter on Sirius XM over the weekend that Hall will NOT be ready for week 1.

I'm sure you did. You seem to hear and see what you want to hear and see.

Last edited:
Say whatever you want. I'm starting to figure out it's generally not worth having any real discussions with you anyhow. Good luck this season.

Also heard a lot of chatter on Sirius XM over the weekend that Hall will NOT be ready for week 1.

I'm sure you did. You seem to hear and see what you want to hear and see.
This seems pretty unfair. Because I don't agree with you?

Although not yet practicing in team drills, Hall is working out on the side as camp opens for New York. Head coach Robert Saleh wouldn't commit to Hall being ready by Week 1, and although they'd like him active for the opener, he says the team plans to take it slow with the talented back, via SNY.
“He looks really good, he looks strong, he is in really good shape. Obviously we are going to do good by him and make sure we slow play it. When he is ready, he is ready,” Saleh said. “The one thing with these ACL’s, you don’t want to go too quick and you don’t want to go too slow. There is a balancing act... trusting our trainers and our doctors.”

Hall was injured in week 7. Javonte week 4.

Obviously i don't know when each one had their surgeries but it could explain why one is "ready" before the other.

Hall was injured in week 7. Javonte week 4.

Obviously i don't know when each one had their surgeries but it could explain why one is "ready" before the other.
Wasn’t Hall’s ACL more of a clean tear and Williams’ multiple ligaments? That’s what is even more amazing about Williams. I still don’t believe Williams will be any good this year. 2024 is when you will want Willams.

Well Hall is on the PUP list and they appear to be all in this year.......so yeah, I would say there is a need.
Preseason PUP list is meaningless. All players coming off injuries start on it.

I listen to Sirius a ton, had yet to hear this from them, so thank u.
Everything has been optimistic on Hall's recovery....the 23 mph clocked run. Here's the deal for me though. With an Acl, it's not straight line running that is hard, it's the cuts and shifts that will test if it's ready.

Jets need to give him a full year for recovery. It's great to be all in this year, but I don't want to ruin the dudes career. I hope the Jets are smart with him

Users who are viewing this thread