What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Christian McCaffrey, SF (2 Viewers)

Jimmy G going from the outhouse to the penthouse. What a difference a few months makes. Good for him. And he now has the best weapons of any QB in the league.

In a roundabout way, the CMC trade will end up helping NE some. The Pats own the Panthers 3rd and 6th round picks next draft from moving Stephon Gilmore and a draft day trade. With the Panthers going into tank mode, those picks will keep getting better and better.
There's an opposite effect for the Dolphins. Before the CMC trade, the 49ers were fighting for either a division crown in a worse than expected NFC West, or a wild-card. Now, they have a good chance to make it to the NFC Championship game. Miami owns the 49ers 1st. And Patriots 3rd in the Parker trade which is currently 3.14.

With playoff aspirations, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to run CMC into the ground
They’re currently 3-3. They have to get to the playoffs first.
In a fairly weak division, but yeah, point taken.
Sure, I’m just saying with the Chiefs coming up it’s not like they’re already locked into the playoffs where they can already start resting McCaffrey.
Oh for sure. No argument there.

Why do I get the feeling that this upcoming game will be a slugfest and not an offensive juggernaut? :shrug:
Probably because Bosa is back, and he can be disruptive?

I still think there’ll be plenty of fireworks in this game though. I just believe it’s a coin flip as to who wins.

I haven't followed all the posts in this thread over the past 24 hours or so, but I firmly believe CMC will get either less than 2.5 points, or he'll have some sort of explosion for more than 25 points on Sunday. Doesn't it seem like that?

I really want to bench him, but my only options are JD McKissic or Mecole Hardman - guys like that. :shrug:

I haven't followed all the posts in this thread over the past 24 hours or so, but I firmly believe CMC will get either less than 2.5 points, or he'll have some sort of explosion for more than 25 points on Sunday. Doesn't it seem like that?

I really want to bench him, but my only options are JD McKissic or Mecole Hardman - guys like that. :shrug:
Gotta play him. Mecole has one game a year where he shows up sorta. I think he had that one already.

In a roundabout way, the CMC trade will end up helping NE some. The Pats own the Panthers 3rd and 6th round picks next draft from moving Stephon Gilmore and a draft day trade. With the Panthers going into tank mode, those picks will keep getting better and better.

How so?

Is Carolina going to be so bad that their 3.1 is going to get bumped into the second round?
At the beginning of the season, most people had the Panthers ending up with a Top 10 pick each round. They have played themselves into the worst record in the league so far, so to your point, no their picks can't get any better (if the season ended today). However, there are several candidates alongside them that could make a run at worst record in the league by season's end. At this point, the Panthers may continue to move players for picks and make little effort to win many more games. I am not sure a difference in 10 spots in the 3rd and 6th rounds moves the needle much, but every little bit helps.

Nice theory....now one game out of a playoff berth with tiebreakers in hand.

Juszczyk told him what route to run when he flexed out :lol:

He's getting a lot of good usage so far IMO. Going to be leaned on when he learns the playbook.

Ended up benching him for higher floor options today.

How so?

Is Carolina going to be so bad that their 3.1 is going to get bumped into the second round?
At the beginning of the season, most people had the Panthers ending up with a Top 10 pick each round. They have played themselves into the worst record in the league so far, so to your point, no their picks can't get any better (if the season ended today). However, there are several candidates alongside them that could make a run at worst record in the league by season's end. At this point, the Panthers may continue to move players for picks and make little effort to win many more games. I am not sure a difference in 10 spots in the 3rd and 6th rounds moves the needle much, but every little bit helps.

Nice theory....now one game out of a playoff berth with tiebreakers in hand.
As usual, the simplest explanation is what normally comes true. Brady figured out that winning this week would help NE and BB. No way would he help that ************. No way, no how. Would rather throw a game than help the hoodie.

gonna need Joe to help rename this thread

Christian McCaffrey had eight rushes for 38 yards in the 49ers' Week 7 loss to the Chiefs, adding two catches for 24 yards.

It was as good a debut as one could've expected for McCaffrey, who didn't have a single practice rep with his new team with Sunday's kickoff against Kansas City. He was his usual evasive, explosive self in limited usage, ripping off a 12-yard run and a 13-yard reception before the game got out of hand in the second half. Jeff Wilson, meanwhile, had seven rushes for 54 yards, with a few long scampers. Fantasy managers can expect a ramped-up workload for McCaffrey in Week 8 against the Rams. His usage will likely hurt Deebo Samuels' fantasy prospects for the rest of the season.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Ten touches is a pretty good outing. It felt to me that he didn't have as much involvement around the redzone. Noticed at one point he asked the FB which route to run when split out wide.

Looked good early when Shanahan is usually good with play calling, nothing much 2H, as is usual with Shanahan play calling.

Truly do not think CMC is going to be all that great in SF to be honest.

The issue is Shanahan not being all that good of an OC, who's offense gets worse as the game goes on

Christian McCaffrey didn't play on any third downs or in the two-minute offense during his 49ers debut in Week 7.​

That is expected to change next Sunday, if you were looking for reasons for optimism after a somewhat dull 10-touch debut for McCaffrey. The 49ers weren't supposed to play him at all in Week 7 once he was acquired, but McCaffrey proved a quick enough study of the playbook to be up to a situational role. Week 8 against the Rams should show us a fuller picture of what his workload will look like in San Francisco.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Oct 25, 2022, 2:06 PM ET

What could have been syndrome helps no one but this would have been perfect for his long term dynasty value and something I can only hope Shanahan considers down the road. I've posted this previously but back when he came out they the NFLN crew was saying if he was a slot WR he'd be the top one in the draft, a draft Cooper Kupp was in.

Jourdan Rodrigue

@JourdanRodrigue

they *were* eventually going to phase CMC into a WR-first role as years passed if he stuck around, still with threat to run but more long-term productivity available as WR. But on converse, deviation from model to this extent meant them not piling up picks

the CMC of yesteryear is gone forever. seems like both Carolina and now SF want to take it easy on the kid and not run him as much, which hinders his value significantly.
sundays loss is the shanahan elevator dropping 4-5 floors about to hit *L* where he and the front office are tossed out on their collective ears. it's the beginning of the end for these guys.
the coaching has been horrendous, the show must end. the straight billed baseball hat schtick has to go. it's time. terrific OC, lousy HC.

the CMC of yesteryear is gone forever. seems like both Carolina and now SF want to take it easy on the kid and not run him as much, which hinders his value significantly.
I had this fear when SF acquired him. That concern level just went up a great deal when I just came across a 49'ers beat writers prediction for his usage/role.

I'm hearing capped usage capped usage but do yall really believe a team would be willing to invest that kind of draft capital to have someone they use only a little? That was a crazy load for a RB if you aren't going to use him heavily right? Maybe not like with him being the only player in Carolina crazy but more than enough to be a top 3-4 RB right?

I had this fear when SF acquired him. That concern level just went up a great deal when I just came across a 49'ers beat writers prediction for his usage/role.
It was his 1st game, 3 days after being traded.

Did anyone actually expect a full workload from a guy who’d barely cracked the playbook open?

I would imagine his usage will grow steadily - they didn’t deal 4 picks to use him gingerly.

Did anyone actually expect a full workload from a guy who’d barely cracked the playbook open?

I would imagine his usage will grow steadily - they didn’t deal 4 picks to use him gingerly.
What's this response got to do with what I said? Where on earth did I mention a single thing about his game usage from this past week?

All I know is they did not give up 4 picks to help people win fantasy titles.

What's this response got to do with what I said? Where on earth did I mention a single thing about his game usage from this past week?

Just sounded like you were projecting forward based on his 1st game.

I haven’t heard anything locally about limiting his touches, so I’m not sure where that’s coming from.

You didn't specifically "mention his usage from the past game", but if his usage in the past game was not your evidence for concluding "seems like ... SF want to take it easy on the kid and not run him as much", what else could be? Did you hear a quote from them saying they want to take it easy on him?

if his usage in the past game was not your evidence for concluding "seems like ... SF want to take it easy on the kid and not run him as much", what else could be? Did you hear a quote from them saying they want to take it easy on him?

I haven’t heard anything locally about limiting his touches, so I’m not sure where that’s coming from.

Gentleman, my reply you two are referencing was two sentences long and the second sentence said my reason for being increasingly concerned was the comments I read from a SF beat writer predicting his usage/role.

Those comments were from The Athletics Matt Barrows in a Q&A when he was asked to predict the roles/usage for the RB's going forward. His reply was that he expected Mitchell and CMC to be the primary RB's with Mitchell handling a lot of the early down carries and CMC playing more of a COP/third down role. He added that CMC's snap count was 85% in Carolina and with his and Mitchell's injury history his belief was the goal to keep both fresh and healthy.

People will no doubt reply with the "that's not what they gave up all those picks for". To which I'll just respond now and say they gave up those picks to make a SB run and what this beat writer is saying from a pure football perspective makes a lot of sense.Not saying it's going to be true or you have to believe him, but it makes a lot of sense for trying to have the team be the best it can later in the season.

I'm sure some will say well CMC is still going to be good for fantasy and to that I'd 100% agree. But those who drafted him as high as we did we were not paying for good, we paid a for super high volume overall, 100+ pass catcher who dominated red zone touches. The post to which I responded was me having concerns that guy is gone and like I said I had those concerns when he got traded, those concerns are higher now and it has nothing to do with how much he played 3 days after getting traded.

if his usage in the past game was not your evidence for concluding "seems like ... SF want to take it easy on the kid and not run him as much", what else could be? Did you hear a quote from them saying they want to take it easy on him?

Gentleman, my reply you two are referencing was two sentences long and the second sentence said my reason for being increasingly concerned was the comments I read from a SF beat writer predicting his usage/role.

Those comments were from The Athletics Matt Barrows in a Q&A when he was asked to predict the roles/usage for the RB's going forward. His reply was that he expected Mitchell and CMC to be the primary RB's with Mitchell handling a lot of the early down carries and CMC playing more of a COP/third down role. He added that CMC's snap count was 85% in Carolina and with his and Mitchell's injury history his belief was the goal to keep both fresh and healthy.

People will no doubt reply with the "that's not what they gave up all those picks for". To which I'll just respond now and say they gave up those picks to make a SB run and what this beat writer is saying from a pure football perspective makes a lot of sense.Not saying it's going to be true or you have to believe him, but it makes a lot of sense for trying to have the team be the best it can later in the season.

I'm sure some will say well CMC is still going to be good for fantasy and to that I'd 100% agree. But those who drafted him as high as we did we were not paying for good, we paid a for super high volume overall, 100+ pass catcher who dominated red zone touches. The post to which I responded was me having concerns that guy is gone and like I said I had those concerns when he got traded, those concerns are higher now and it has nothing to do with how much he played 3 days after getting traded.
My bad, I was confused. I was reading tanner's post as yours. Didn't see yours. Reading everything helps I guess. Sorry.

sundays loss is the shanahan elevator dropping 4-5 floors about to hit *L* where he and the front office are tossed out on their collective ears. it's the beginning of the end for these guys.
the coaching has been horrendous, the show must end. the straight billed baseball hat schtick has to go. it's time. terrific OC, lousy HC.
The bolded is just silly. They've been in the NFC Championship game 2 of the last 3 years. There aren't 5 HC's with more job security than Shanahan.

Safe to say some people in the fantasy world overthought this. Great offensive play caller, great versatile RB. Fantasy nuclear fusion. Today that resulted in a Triple Crown game—1 passing TD, 1 rushing TD, 1 receiving TD. So fun to watch too

And the usage is great. Dominating snaps other than a couple breathers, 20+ touches including probably double digit targets by the time the game is over. Neutral game script throughout.

One may see this day as a great game for McCaffrey. I see it as the NFC being put on notice.

An elite all-purpose running back is now paired with a dangerous offensive mind that knows how to use him. Watch out.

Everything seems fine in CMC-San Fran land to me.

Remember when he was "the guy that is just going to be injured all year every year now", maybe worth risking a second round pick or 2 on?

Remember when he was "the guy that is just going to be injured all year every year now", maybe worth risking a second round pick or 2 on?
Lol …

I remember drafting CMC in one of my dynasty leagues - had a few “smart guys” tell me he’s basically going to be the “next” Danny Woodhead.

Users who are viewing this thread