What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Christian McCaffrey, SF (2 Viewers)

Wat? Cam doesn't nor will he score close to all of the inside 5 yd TDs, and there are plenty of TDs that occur outside of 5 yds.
Well, good luck with that. Bottom line is he landed in a really bad spot. He could have landed in INDY or TB or GB for instance.

Right now i'd project him at roughly 200 carries for 900 yards, 70 catches for 600 yards, 30 punt returns for 300 yards, 10 total TDs. My league he would have been the #6 RB last year with those numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
A pass catching RB drafted by the team who threw the least amount of times to RB's last season and least amount to RB's since Cam entered the league. I'm confused.

Saw some coach (forget who) say he's a Reggie Bush and I agree.  As awesome as the tape was with Reggie Bush coming out, a lot was left desired for fantasy folks as a pro.

When it comes down to it, he doesn't break tackles. 

A pass catching RB drafted by the team who threw the least amount of times to RB's last season and least amount to RB's since Cam entered the league. I'm confused.
Lol. There's a good chance this changes going forward. They haven't had anyone like McCaffrey.

Caff is an awesome offensive weapon. He's gonna be lined up up everywhere and can play alongside JStew. Fruity said it best above, "i'd project him at roughly 200 carries for 950 yards, 70 catches for 600 yards, 30 punt returns for 300 yards, 10 total TDs". I'm very much on board with that thinking and outlook. 

Panthers selected Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey with the No. 8 overall pick of the 2017 NFL draft.

He had been consistently linked with the Panthers over the last couple weeks, and he is a great fit under creative OC Mike Shula. McCaffrey (5’11/202) turned pro after a prolific three-year college career, posting a 632-3,922-21 (6.21 YPC) rushing line with 99 catches and two return TDs. He was the 2015 Pac 12 Offensive Player of the Year before a mildly disappointing 2016 campaign. At the Combine, McCaffrey posted top-four SPARQ results among running backs with a 4.48 forty and position-best 6.57 three-cone time. The top blitz-pickup back in this class, McCaffrey should be an immediate passing-game asset even if he doesn’t project as a 300-carry workhorse. Even with Jonathan Stewart still in Carolina, McCaffrey should immediately contribute in the running game, passing game, and as a returner. He is worth a look with the first overall pick in rookie-only drafts.

It's close for me, but I'm still taking Fournette too. 
I'm on the fence right now. I keep thinking CMac has both a high floor with enough carries and receptions and a high ceiling being the only true real electric offensive weapon the Panthers have

I'd set the over-unders  around  the following 

700 rushing yards

550 receiving yards,

50 receptions 

but yards per catch will be hard to predict in this offense IMHO, this a a new player and a presumably new scheme for the panthers 

I still think the closest comp is Brian Westbrook not Reggie Bush.
I agree because of the ability to run inside and was able to carry the load at Stanford. Bush relied on Len Whale at USC and never came close to being an inside runner or feature back in the NFL, CMac seems to have a chance at being more involved with inside running in the NFL

Be..cause... they didn't have a pass catching RB on the roster? 

Lol. There's a good chance this changes going forward. They haven't had anyone like McCaffrey.

Caff is an awesome offensive weapon. Fruity said it best above, "i'd project him at roughly 200 carries for 950 yards, 70 catches for 600 yards, 30 punt returns for 300 yards, 10 total TDs". I'm very much on board with that thinking and outlook. 

Stewart and DWILL are not bad in the receiving game.  Listen, I love McCaffrey but if you want to dismiss this concern so be it but I think it's valid. His best trait is as a receiver. Like I mentioned this team was last in the league last year in throwing to RB's. There is more. They are last in the league since Shula took over as OC, last in the league since Shula joined the staff, last in the league since Cam joined the team in throwing to RB's. How this can't be some element of a concern is mind boggling.

Stewart and DWILL are not bad in the receiving game.  Listen, I love McCaffrey but if you want to dismiss this concern so be it but I think it's valid. His best trait is as a receiver. Like I mentioned this team was last in the league last year in throwing to RB's. There is more. They are last in the league since Shula took over as OC, last in the league since Shula joined the staff, last in the league since Cam joined the team in throwing to RB's. How this can't be some element of a concern is mind boggling.
He's going to get a lot of the touches that previously went to Ted Ginn.

He had been consistently linked with the Panthers over the last couple weeks, and he is a great fit under creative OC Mike Shula. McCaffrey (5’11/202) turned pro after a prolific three-year college career, posting a 632-3,922-21 (6.21 YPC) rushing line with 99 catches and two return TDs. He was the 2015 Pac 12 Offensive Player of the Year before a mildly disappointing 2016 campaign. At the Combine, McCaffrey posted top-four SPARQ results among running backs with a 4.48 forty and position-best 6.57 three-cone time. The top blitz-pickup back in this class, McCaffrey should be an immediate passing-game asset even if he doesn’t project as a 300-carry workhorse. Even with Jonathan Stewart still in Carolina, McCaffrey should immediately contribute in the running game, passing game, and as a returner. He is worth a look with the first overall pick in rookie-only drafts.

Good points and I have been reading Shula being mentioned as a "creative offensive mind" I don't get where that is coming from?? 

Panthers selected Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey with the No. 8 overall pick of the 2017 NFL draft.

Dude, no need to post total non-sense.

How can you say this? JStew is non-existent in the passing game. 

Caff was taken 8th overall, he's going to be a big piece on their offense moving forward.This is great for Cam's value too as he'll likely continue to get a lot of goalline TD's.

Good points and I have been reading Shula being mentioned as a "creative offensive mind" I don't get where that is coming from?? 
And I can't say enough how much I like McCaffery and again him going to Carolina is no surprise but if I had a hope for his landing spot it was to an OC with track record of heavy usage of RB in receiving game or creative OC. I feel like I went 0-2 with consolation of potential Cam impact in the ways he might help create lanes or open up the offense.

Could be personal......for the past 4 years since Shula has been OC the RB  with with most total targets is Mike Tolbert.   I dont watch a lot of Car but im pretty sure Tolbert and McCaffery have different skill sets.  Im assuming he will adjust the offense up some, could be wrong though.

Could be personal......for the past 4 years since Shula has been OC the RB  with with most total targets is Mike Tolbert.   I dont watch a lot of Car but im pretty sure Tolbert and McCaffery have different skill sets.  Im assuming he will adjust the offense up some, could be wrong though.
That is the assumption and it's somewhat logical that you would not pick someone like McCaffrey this high without a plan. But some elements of this remind me of Rams taking Tavon Austin at 8. That was a terribly uncreative staff that took a player that really required creativity and assumption by a lot of people, myself included, was that that if they took him that high than surely the must have a plan but the uncreative staff remained consistent.

The other item is that what you are essentially saying if you think McCaffrey is gong to be a high volume pass receiver is that the offense is going to adjust because they used a top 10 pick on him. This is logical, but it's not how it always works. You are assuming a QB and OC will change their stripes they have both shown the entire time they have been in the league because of who they took at pick 8.

I'm not making this stuff up. I've got a solid amount of picks where I think I'll have a chance to pick him and this is something I need to deeply consider and again I like him and I want to like his landing spot but I'm not there yet.

Caff is an awesome offensive weapon. He's gonna be lined up up everywhere and can play alongside JStew. Fruity said it best above, "i'd project him at roughly 200 carries for 950 yards, 70 catches for 600 yards, 30 punt returns for 300 yards, 10 total TDs". I'm very much on board with that thinking and outlook. 
Totally on board with the 70 catches with his route-running ability slot ability. 
The 200 carries I don't buy into.  That's a lot of carries.  J-Stew has 218 last year. 

That is the assumption and it's somewhat logical that you would not pick someone like McCaffrey this high without a plan. But some elements of this remind me of Rams taking Tavon Austin at 8. That was a terribly uncreative staff that took a player that really required creativity and assumption by a lot of people, myself included, was that that if they took him that high than surely the must have a plan but the uncreative staff remained consistent.

The other item is that what you are essentially saying if you think McCaffrey is gong to be a high volume pass receiver is that the offense is going to adjust because they used a top 10 pick on him. This is logical, but it's not how it always works. You are assuming a QB and OC will change their stripes they have both shown the entire time they have been in the league because of who they took at pick 8.

I'm not making this stuff up. I've got a solid amount of picks where I think I'll have a chance to pick him and this is something I need to deeply consider and again I like him and I want to like his landing spot but I'm not there yet.
If you ignore his time as OC with the Bucs....Both Dunn and Alstott were heavily used.   Granted that was a long time ago....but he was the OC.   But i agree, Cam has not used the RB a whole lot....is that system, Cam, OC, or personal?

stewartcae said:
If you ignore his time as OC with the Bucs....Both Dunn and Alstott were heavily used.   Granted that was a long time ago....but he was the OC.   But i agree, Cam has not used the RB a whole lot....is that system, Cam, OC, or personal?
In case anyone wanted to know.  Under a Mike Shula offense Dunn and Alsott combined targets/rec

1996-  81 target 65 rec. (Just Alstott)

1997- 89 target 62 rec

1998- 87 target 66 rec

1999 115 target 91 rec

Cant tell you that means anything, except that given different personal Shula's offense has in the past featured the RB in the passing game.   

stewartcae said:
Could be that while in situations where some QBs would dump the ball off to a RB, Cam just takes off running himself.

Also likely has something to do with the fact that the Panthers haven't had a dynamic pass catching back in years. Are they going to force the ball to Fozzy Whitaker?

Could be that while in situations where some QBs would dump the ball off to a RB, Cam just takes off running himself.

Also likely has something to do with the fact that the Panthers haven't had a dynamic pass catching back in years. Are they going to force the ball to Fozzy Whitaker?
Yes.  Cam will still run when needed, but those days of just taking off are over... hopefully.  He's never been sharp at checking down and dumping to the RB.  In his defense, he's really never had one either.  Fozzy is no Sproels.  Shula will (he better!) change the offensive philosophy now that he has a dynamic pass catching back.  

He could be the most polished route runner on the team. It would make sense with their depth chart to have him out wide in 2 wr sets.

I feel like this might actually be a bad landing spot for the next couple of years. Can and Stewart will vulture TDs. So that kinda sucks.

lod001 said:
Well, good luck with that. Bottom line is he landed in a really bad spot. He could have landed in INDY or TB or GB for instance.
Good luck with facts? It isn't the ideal spot, but it's far from really bad or the worst. Cam only had 5 rushing TDs last year (the RBs had 11, including some from short yardage)- I highly doubt we're going to be seeing his rookie year rushing totals out of Cam again.

Good luck with facts? It isn't the ideal spot, but it's far from really bad or the worst. Cam only had 5 rushing TDs last year (the RBs had 11, including some from short yardage)- I highly doubt we're going to be seeing his rookie year rushing totals out of Cam again.
Correct.  CM could potentially catch 60-70 balls next year.  Cam has never had a weapon as reliable as this.

So which rb could succeed in Carolina? Fournette would suck there, mccaffery will certainly suck there, wtf guys? Just pure hating on Carolinas offensive potential. Can no one else see mccaffery streaking down the field with a linebacker 5 yds behind him and cam launching it deep? Yes he may only get 5 rushing tds, but he could get 6-7 rec tds as well. Stewart won't be there forever, and even if they add a 2 down banger next year his floor appears pretty safe. 

Users who are viewing this thread