What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Chase Brown, CIN (1 Viewer)

Yeah they did business a little different last year. Definitely see Chase worth dynasty shares but not impossible that they keep Mixon next year too (when it would be a more obvious cut for other teams). So wanted to add that caveat.

-QG

Yeah they did business a little different last year. Definitely see Chase worth dynasty shares but not impossible that they keep Mixon next year too (when it would be a more obvious cut for other teams). So wanted to add that caveat.

-QG
They could also draft or sign someone else or both. I think Chase showed promise but the sample size is very small and at this point would be shocked if they went into next season with the intentions of him being RB1. Nice start, but far from proving he should have a shot at being the guy. Hopefully he continues to get ample opportunities as the season finishes up to further evaluate.

Totally see Mixon being back another year as a glue guy who is above average at a low cost. Things won't be better for Mixon anywhere else.

That said you all are getting me excited about Brown being a potential Rachaad White next year

While it is true that the Bengals have generally honored the duration of contracts in the past, this is a new era of Bengals football - specifically, the first time the team has signed a modern cap era superstar QB contract. Burrow's cap hit increases by about $10 million next year; the way the team manages its contracts is going to eventually have to change unless they get rid of Burrow, which isn't happening.

Similarly, it is widely presumed (though of course not guaranteed) that Tee Higgins will receive a franchise tag contract, rather than allowing him to leave as an unrestricted free agent. This would increase Higgins' cap hit by an estimated $16 million.

All that said, Mixon's contract is not expensive for a running back, so there's no guarantee of a cut, but the Bengals are going to have some hard decisions to make this offseason.

This reminds me of everyone's near-certainty that the Packers would cut Aaron Jones. I get that we're all expected to keep parroting that RBs are worthless and every GM will draft an RB instead of paying a single cent but that won't be true for all 32 NFL teams. Is saving a couple million really worth it if you have to use a high pick or rely on an unproven player?

Mixon has years of experience in the offense and he's looked the same this year as he did the last few years. I'd put my money on the Bengals finding a way to keep him at least one more year.

This reminds me of everyone's near-certainty that the Packers would cut Aaron Jones. I get that we're all expected to keep parroting that RBs are worthless and every GM will draft an RB instead of paying a single cent but that won't be true for all 32 NFL teams. Is saving a couple million really worth it if you have to use a high pick or rely on an unproven player?

Mixon has years of experience in the offense and he's looked the same this year as he did the last few years. I'd put my money on the Bengals finding a way to keep him at least one more year.
Really? It reminds me of when Dalvin Cook and Zeke were cut. So who is right? PotAto, Potaaato...right?

The NFL is changing my friend. It all started when forward thinking Sean McVay said see ya later Todd, and then promptly won a Super Bowl a season later.

I get that we are all expected to keep parroting hot takes like the Bengals are going to keep Chase, Higgins and Mixon after just unloading the Brinks truck for Burrow, but the reality of it all for the Bengals is they've already let key pieces walk it's hurt them.

With so many talent WRs coming in the draft this season, JChase needing to get paid, Mixon getting older, running backs being more or less interchangeable these days, and the team having significant needs elsewhere I just don't see how the Bengals team keeps Burrow, JChase, Higgins and Mixon together next season. I guess we'll see.

FWIW Waldman compared him to Khalil Herbert which isn't a terrible comparison on styles alone, but I do believe Brown is just a little better than Herbert in about every meaningful area, including his measurables. Brown is bigger, and faster, and stronger. I believe Herbert ran a 4.5 and that was not at the combine, so he was probably closer to the 4.55-4.60. Brown's speed is legit - proven at the combine, he can bench press a truck and he has massive hands which will help with ball security. Although their styles may be similar, I believe Brown's skillset lends itself to a lead back role far more than Herbert's ever did. Pass protection is about the only concern I have here, and it's not because I don't believe he'll be good at it, I just haven't seen him prove it.
Dynasty guys go get him. He'll be the deal after Mixon. This is just the beginning tonight. Doubts gone.

-QG
from scouting reports I read and followed this offseason, he had some bad habits in college that he needs to fix and clean-up. I do like that he is getting touches and maybe we see some more burn going forward but he still has work to do to be a lead back if he eventually wants to take over from Mixon.
^ Could you please elaborate on the above? I’m curious because I just picked him up in dynasty. TIA !
Jacob's Ladder references Matt Waldman and Matt has some great insight on rookie RBs. If you can I would search out his podcasts and analysis/draft package on rookie RBs. In particular he mentions some of the things Brown needs to fix to take the next step forward. At times when he feels pressure/pursuit he turns his back to the tacklers rather than put his head down, lower his pads and push forward for a few more yards. Matt Waldman showed this on a number of his posts. Some of his negatives on the scouting report hint at this:

• Very average power through first contact.
  • Feet deaden when bracing for contact between tackles.
If he can work on this, show that he has power (he's a strong guy) and can push through the hard yards then he could be a more every down player.

As I mentioned before I did trade for this guy in dynasty so I'm hoping he can keep improving. He's great in the open field and has pretty good vision, just some of the decisions need to be cleaned up and push for those extra couple yards.
I love reading Matt's stuff. People get too hung up on his hits and misses vs the meat and potatoes of what he's actually giving you. He compiles a significant amount of measurables, statistics and provides some great insight. Now of course it's just one man's opinion, and in the end, it's one datapoint that you need to use along with all of the other information you turn up, but it is very detailed and points you towards some great threads to pull on. FWIW I disagree on some of the stuff Matt has said about Brown, but Matt did point out how athletic he is. If I see plus pass protection from him down the stretch, I'm all-in on him in 2024. He really does have a sky high ceiling.
Very good points and Matt does at times try to explain what a player might be lacking but also that if the player works on it he can improve. Matt gives a good overview in his guide and provide lots of detailed information as well. Lots can change with the team, the scheme, the player once they hit the NFL. No one can 100% predict what might happen but overall I think Matt does a great job of explaining his thought process behind each player and what he sees and how it translates to the NFL game.

There are lots of good stuff about Brown too and I am very interested how things shake out for him going forward and if he has worked on and improved some aspects of his game.

I'm going to say this and it is something I learned over the last few years: Fantasy players always want and think that the team is going to move away from "old" player X and let the young guy loose. But that isn't always the case. There is a reason that veteran player continues to get reps "taking them away" from some young prospect - the veteran can be trusted and doesn't make mistakes.

Lots can happen with injuries and free agency and contracts but as of now I would expect Mixon to be back for one more year next year. Perine left which means it all leans on Mixon. If CIN thinks they can make a playoff run they will need Mixon (or another vet RB) on the team who can be trusted and leaned on.

This doesn't mean Brown can't increase his role/snaps over next year but if they seriously think they can make a playoff run (assuming Burrow is healthy) I bet Mixon is back.

I get that we are all expected to keep parroting hot takes like the Bengals are going to keep Chase, Higgins and Mixon after just unloading the Brinks truck for Burrow, but the reality of it all for the Bengals is they've already let key pieces walk it's hurt them.
Burrow's big money on his deal does not really kick in next year, his cap number will only increase $10M from this season, coming in at $29M.

Bengals per OTC are projected to have $85M in cap space so they do have room to keep the band together for a year. In theory they could tag Higgins, keep Mixon and still retain the 10th most cap space in the league at around $65m.

I actually thought it was a good sign for Mixon that when they made him take a pay cut for the 2023 season they went ahead and made him take a pay cut on his 2024 salary, as if they were already planning on keeping him and did not want to go through the ugliness of discussing another pay cut to keep him for 24.

All that being said while I am ready to say the Bengals are keeping Tee I think the decision to keep Mixon or not is likely not decided one way or the other and his performance over the last 25%+ of the season will be part of that evaluation. My lean is they will keep him but like I said we got a lot of football left for them to evaluate both him and Brown.

I'm going to say this and it is something I learned over the last few years: Fantasy players always want and think that the team is going to move away from "old" player X and let the young guy loose. But that isn't always the case. There is a reason that veteran player continues to get reps "taking them away" from some young prospect - the veteran can be trusted and doesn't make mistakes.

Lots can happen with injuries and free agency and contracts but as of now I would expect Mixon to be back for one more year next year. Perine left which means it all leans on Mixon. If CIN thinks they can make a playoff run they will need Mixon (or another vet RB) on the team who can be trusted and leaned on.

This doesn't mean Brown can't increase his role/snaps over next year but if they seriously think they can make a playoff run (assuming Burrow is healthy) I bet Mixon is back.
In a vacuum I think this is a very reasonable analysis. The problem is that the Bengals have to make this decision at multiple key positions on offense.

Both Higgins and Tyler Boyd are unrestricted free agents. The only replacements on the roster are Andrei Iosivas, who has played sparingly, and Charlie Jones, who has basically only played as a returner. With the veteran logic, the team would have to invest dollars at the WR position.

All four tight ends on the roster are free agents at year's end - Smith and Sample are unrestricted, Wilcox and Hudson are restricted free agents as they are both practice squad call-ups. To apply the same logic from your post about veteran players, is it likely the Bengals go into '24 with two recent practice squad call-ups as their starting tight ends? It is fair to note that Hudson has played pretty well this year, at least from the eye test.

The Bengals do have cap space for '24, so perhaps they do invest in all these positions.

In a vacuum I think this is a very reasonable analysis. The problem is that the Bengals have to make this decision at multiple key positions on offense.

Both Higgins and Tyler Boyd are unrestricted free agents. The only replacements on the roster are Andrei Iosivas, who has played sparingly, and Charlie Jones, who has basically only played as a returner. With the veteran logic, the team would have to invest dollars at the WR position.

All four tight ends on the roster are free agents at year's end - Smith and Sample are unrestricted, Wilcox and Hudson are restricted free agents as they are both practice squad call-ups. To apply the same logic from your post about veteran players, is it likely the Bengals go into '24 with two recent practice squad call-ups as their starting tight ends? It is fair to note that Hudson has played pretty well this year, at least from the eye test.

The Bengals do have cap space for '24, so perhaps they do invest in all these positions.
Good points and it can't be easy juggling roster positions and salaries and trying to decide who to keep. One thing is though, they know they need to protect their franchise QB. A lot is on the line and we see the risks when the QB goes down - winning becomes a lot more difficult.

A veteran RB like Mixon (who took a paycut already) makes sense to keep around. Veterans make less mistakes and why he's stuck around for so long. The fancy and shiny new toy (rookie RB) always looks great but when it comes down to a key block, a specific play/route etc who gets the call?

I'm not saying Brown can't eventually take over - he's a solid, strong guy at 215lbs but he still has to show he can do everything on the field including blocking and reading the blitz before they just hand everything over to him.

Again I own both Mixon and Brown so I'm good here, but there is the reality of a Coach and GM having to explain why their franchise QB got blown up on a play and is out for the year.

Burrow's big money on his deal does not really kick in next year, his cap number will only increase $10M from this season, coming in at $29M.

Bengals per OTC are projected to have $85M in cap space so they do have room to keep the band together for a year. In theory they could tag Higgins, keep Mixon and still retain the 10th most cap space in the league at around $65m.

I actually thought it was a good sign for Mixon that when they made him take a pay cut for the 2023 season they went ahead and made him take a pay cut on his 2024 salary, as if they were already planning on keeping him and did not want to go through the ugliness of discussing another pay cut to keep him for 24.

All that being said while I am ready to say the Bengals are keeping Tee I think the decision to keep Mixon or not is likely not decided one way or the other and his performance over the last 25%+ of the season will be part of that evaluation. My lean is they will keep him but like I said we got a lot of football left for them to evaluate both him and Brown.
Just to be clear, I'm not saying the Bengals couldn't pay Burrow, Chase, Higgins and Mixon next year, I'm just saying they shouldn't and that I don't believe they will. Their defense is already suffering from letting guys like Bates and Bell walk last season. They're also feeling the impact of allowing Hurst to leave, although I do believe Hudson will wind up a viable replacement.

My only point is this team has needs outside of Higgins and Mixon, and those needs arguably improve their chances of winning over having a high paid 1B WR or aging RB.

Along with Tee; DJ Reader, Jonah Williams, Chidobe Awuzie, Tyler Boyd, Jonah Williams and a few other key pieces will be UFAs. That doesn't even go into the problems the Bengals are having in their secondary and on the offensive line. On top of all that, Ja'Marr will be in the final year of his rookie contract and looking to get extended while more big names will become UFAs in 2025 including Trey Hendrickson and BJ Hill.

We'll see what happens I guess. If it were me, I'd let Tee walk and keep Mixon for one more year but there is a lot to consider here.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying the Bengals couldn't pay Burrow, Chase, Higgins and Mixon next year, I'm just saying they shouldn't and that I don't believe they will. Their defense is already suffering from letting guys like Bates and Bell walk last season. They're also feeling the impact of allowing Hurst to leave, although I do believe Hudson will wind up a viable replacement.

My only point is this team has needs outside of Higgins and Mixon, and those needs arguably improve their chances of winning over having a high paid 1B WR or aging RB.

Along with Tee; DJ Reader, Jonah Williams, Chidobe Awuzie, Tyler Boyd, Jonah Williams and a few other key pieces will be UFAs. That doesn't even go into the problems the Bengals are having in their secondary and on the offensive line. On top of all that, Ja'Marr will be in the final year of his rookie contract and looking to get extended while more big names will become UFAs in 2025 including Trey Hendrickson and BJ Hill.

We'll see what happens I guess. If it were me, I'd let Tee walk and keep Mixon for one more year but there is a lot to consider here.
Not easy decisions for the team for sure. I think their offense is better when Higgins is on the field but that is one they might not be able to afford. Also it seems Higgins continues to have nagging injuries which may make it easier for the team to let him walk. I'm a big Higgins fan but he's probably looking for a big pay day and some team might give him the cash.

Not easy decisions for the team for sure. I think their offense is better when Higgins is on the field but that is one they might not be able to afford. Also it seems Higgins continues to have nagging injuries which may make it easier for the team to let him walk. I'm a big Higgins fan but he's probably looking for a big pay day and some team might give him the cash.
Higgins is not going anywhere.

As per CBS sports

"Higgins and the Bengals have never got close to a contract extension and the wideout is not expected to be in the team's long-term plans, according to the Enquirer. He received an offer in the offseason, but it reportedly fell short of what he expected to get on the open market so negotiations carried on."

Did I miss something with regards to his contract negotiations? I guess we will see if they can/do franchise him and what he thinks of that.

Please provide insight or links to show "higgins isn't going anywhere". You might be right as I am not tapped into the depths of CIN contract negotiations just going by what has gone on so far.

As per CBS sports

"Higgins and the Bengals have never got close to a contract extension and the wideout is not expected to be in the team's long-term plans, according to the Enquirer. He received an offer in the offseason, but it reportedly fell short of what he expected to get on the open market so negotiations carried on."

Did I miss something with regards to his contract negotiations? I guess we will see if they can/do franchise him and what he thinks of that.

Please provide insight or links to show "higgins isn't going anywhere".

Higgins turning down the extension means diddly squat and frankly no idea why people keep throwing that at my face when I tell them they are not letting him walk. Teams have this thing called the tag they can use to keep players which I mentioned earlier but you must have missed to respond with saying something about them not being able to afford it which is off base since they have $85M in cap space.

It's a little silly of you and not worth a real conversation on my part to ask me to show you where the Bengals are saying Higgins is not going anywhere as teams don't just come out and announce this time of year they'll tag a player if they don't sign an extension. I've covered this in the HIggins and other threads already but when the GM of the team tells people to go find your own Higgins, when he refused trades for him at the deadline, when they ahve plenty of cap space, when they've shown a recent history of using the tag, when the team is win now mode with another season before Burrow's cap hit starts to get really high, it's all pretty self evident to me. He's not reaching UFA.

As per CBS sports

Please provide insight or links to show "higgins isn't going anywhere".

Higgins turning down the extension means diddly squat and frankly no idea why people keep throwing that at my face when I tell them they are not letting him walk. Teams have this thing called the tag they can use to keep players which I mentioned earlier but you must have missed to respond with saying something about them not being able to afford it which is off base since they have $85M in cap space.

It's a little silly of you and not worth a real conversation on my part to ask me to show you where the Bengals are saying Higgins is not going anywhere as teams don't just come out and announce this time of year they'll tag a player if they don't sign an extension. I've covered this in the HIggins and other threads already but when the GM of the team tells people to go find your own Higgins, when he refused trades for him at the deadline, when they ahve plenty of cap space, when they've shown a recent history of using the tag, when the team is win now mode with another season before Burrow's cap hit starts to get really high, it's all pretty self evident to me. He's not reaching UFA.
1) No one is throwing anything in your face, it is a legit question. If many people are asking it then it seems like there is something there.
2) Nothing is silly of me, please refrain from saying anything like this in the future. It only adds unneeded tension to the thread. I and many others don't appreciate it. I was legit asking a question and you decided to make it personal.
3) I know they have a franchise tag option, I mentioned it but it doesn't always go as planned for the team or player. Lots of issues when players get tagged. Some it works out but many others have not gone well. I think this is the last option Higgins wants as he will be looking for a long term deal with some security built in.
4) I do now recall one interview where the team/GM did say get your own Higgins - appreciate the reminder on that one. This is the type of discussion/comments I was looking for - appreciate it. Lets just stick with this type of discussion in the future.

Next Gen Stats
Bengals rookie running back Chase Brown reached a top speed of 22.05 mph on his 54-yard TD reception, the second-fastest play by ball carrier this season (DK Metcalf, 22.23 mph).