What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Carlos Hyde, JAC (2 Viewers)

Ok, I get that, but would you rather have top 10 Production at a discount that makes you work a little or maybe a safer choice in the lower production range. For example, Hyde with his production, or a safer more boring pick like a Frank Gore? I don't expect allot of championship teams to have F. Gore as a weekly starter, but Hyde if he performs at a high level will be on them.
Hyde's ADP is 3rd/4th round...Gores is several rounds later.

Let's look at RBs at Hyde's ADP if we want to compare apples to apples.

he's a good receiver out of the backfield?? he has, what, 27 catches to his name in 34 games played in the nfl? thats 1.x per game. 

he's Rob't Smith without the talent but worse in the bodily injury category..

dont over think this.lose the rosey colored glasses. Carlos Hyde is a bust of epic proportions. avoid at all costs. he played in a rb friendly offense last season and mustered just 996 yards..cmon now. why are so many ppl so enthralled with an also ran rb??

I just dont get it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
he's a good receiver out of the backfield?? he has, what, 27 catches to his name in 34 games played in the nfl? thats 1.x per game. 

he's Rob't Smith without the talent but worse in the bodily injury category..

dont over think this.lose the rosey colored glasses. Carlos Hyde is a bust of epic proportions. avoid at all costs. he played in a rb friendly offense last season and mustered just 996 yards..cmon now. why are so many ppl so enthralled with an also ran rb??

I just dont get it. 
1,151 yards and 9 TD's in 13 games.  Such a bust  :lmao: We should all have busts like that on our roster. 

The only thing I dislike Hyde the most is the propensity of ding up so easily.  Quite simply, he just has to stay healthy to be productive.  This is another reason for Kyle Shanahan on stockpiling RB depth to ensure his offensive play-calling vision.  

1,151 yards and 9 TD's in 13 games.  Such a bust  :lmao: We should all have busts like that on our roster. 
Yeah, when he's on the court he's good. But he was unavailable for fantasy playoffs the 2 out of 3 years and has yet to play a full season.

If he wasn't viewed as injury prone, he'd be a 1st Round pick right now.

SameSongNDance said:
I don't think Hightower is a lock in the event Hyde were to go down. At this very moment he's the clear number 2, and even the number 1 at times in practice but I think that has a lot to do with experience. If Hyde were to hypothetically go down mid season, Williams and Brieda will have had more time in the system and I think some type of RBBC is most likely to emerge. Given the fact that Hightower isn't special, that this offense will likely be average at best this season and that SF's run schedule is tough and I'm not too keen on wasting roster spots on Hyde's back-up.

To be honest, I don't like anything about Hyde this year outside of his obvious talent anyway. His team stinks, the new coaching staff was luke-warm (at best) on him all offseason, his run schedule sucks and he can't stay on the field. 
I agree with this. I see Hightower to be the in game backup, but if Hyde went down, they would go with someone else as the every down back and Hightower would still be the in game backup. Not long term backup. 

Yeah, when he's on the court he's good. But he was unavailable for fantasy playoffs the 2 out of 3 years and has yet to play a full season.

If he wasn't viewed as injury prone, he'd be a 1st Round pick right now.
That's why he will be a steal the year he stays healthy and has a better cast to keep defenses honest. 

That's why he will be a steal the year he stays healthy and has a better cast to keep defenses honest. 
Right, so in dynasty I'm on board, fully interested and have him in every league.

I'm honestly just not sure about redraft but in the 4th or equivalent auction cost I'll take the chance.

(Dynasty League Football) San Francisco running back Matt Brieda was the first man off the bench after the 49ers pulled their first string off the field in the preseason. Rookie Joe Williams played with the third string. Analysis: Brieda playing with the second unit was a bit of a surprise. Many are looking for Williams to get plenty of reps since 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan hand selected him. Brieda had more carries (11-7), but Williams out rushed him 60 to 40. 

As I said before - Breida.  Saw most of the game Breida played against mostly 2nd strings and some first team defense, Williams mostly against 3rd team D

Carlos Hyde played 21-of-24 snaps with the 49ers' first-team offense in their second preseason game.

He also played 4-of-5 third-down snaps. Hyde didn't look like a natural running between the tackles in Kyle Shanahan's zone scheme, however, and he now has just 26 yards on ten carries this preseason. Nevertheless, as a current every-down back in a Shanahan offense, Hyde has value-pick appeal in the fifth round.

Source: Adam Levitan on Twitter

I agree w/ RW's assessment... Hyde consistently ran into crowds where there was room to cut back towards the middle of the field. When he did cut back, he didn't look very natural doing it, leaning into the cutting lane as opposed to squaring his pads to the LoS. Hyde has a lot to offer in terms of ability, but vision and instincts aren't his strong suit... or maybe I'm just spoiled after watching Gore (one of the best in the business) for the past decade.

I agree w/ RW's assessment... Hyde consistently ran into crowds where there was room to cut back towards the middle of the field. When he did cut back, he didn't look very natural doing it, leaning into the cutting lane as opposed to squaring his pads to the LoS. Hyde has a lot to offer in terms of ability, but vision and instincts aren't his strong suit... or maybe I'm just spoiled after watching Gore (one of the best in the business) for the past decade.
It's preseason. I doubt he's trying that hard.

Three catches helps me confirm my existing belief that Hyde is Shanny's guy this year and is due a big workload including goal line and, at least some passing down work if not the majority.

The receptions also make me feel his floor is pretty safe because he probably will not go to the bench during the inevitable blow-out losses.

the only thing i worry about with hyde is injury. he's clearly the most talented back on the team, and he's a rb2 floor if he plays 14 games.. big if of course

Good reporting earlier this year "Hyde could be a surprise cut"...........

Gregg Rosenthal mentioned on the most recent Around the NFL podcast that he's heard Carlos Hyde could be a surprise training camp cut.

A former longtime Rotoworld editor, Rosenthal now writes for NFL.com, frequently appears on NFL Network, and has cultivated enough connections that what he's hearing is noteworthy. Since the 49ers' new regime took over, coach Kyle Shanahan and GM John Lynch have been outwardly clear that San Francisco's running back situation needs upgrading, whether by signing (Tim Hightower), trading for (Kapri Bibbs), and drafting (Joe Williams) backs or Shanahan's suggestion that Hyde has personal improvement to make. We still believe Hyde could fetch something via trade, even in a contract year at a devalued position. The Niners would probably be willing to part with Hyde for a fourth-round pick, if not less.

hey the Giants and Bucs could use a RB like Hyde
Don't forget about Kansas City. While I don't think he'll be cut I wouldn't be as surprised to see a trade take place to get something for him. And going into the season with Breida as your #1 pretty much admits that you are going to tank the season.

(FantasyPros) According to several reports, it appears UDFA RB Matt Breida has taken over the role as No. 2 running back behind Carlos Hyde. Analysis: Breida continues to run ahead of rookie Joe Williams. While Williams has received more love given his connection to head coach Kyle Shanahan, Breida appears to be next in line should something happen to Hyde.

Feel vindicated

Good reporting earlier this year "Hyde could be a surprise cut"...........

Gregg Rosenthal mentioned on the most recent Around the NFL podcast that he's heard Carlos Hyde could be a surprise training camp cut.

A former longtime Rotoworld editor, Rosenthal now writes for NFL.com, frequently appears on NFL Network, and has cultivated enough connections that what he's hearing is noteworthy. Since the 49ers' new regime took over, coach Kyle Shanahan and GM John Lynch have been outwardly clear that San Francisco's running back situation needs upgrading, whether by signing (Tim Hightower), trading for (Kapri Bibbs), and drafting (Joe Williams) backs or Shanahan's suggestion that Hyde has personal improvement to make. We still believe Hyde could fetch something via trade, even in a contract year at a devalued position. The Niners would probably be willing to part with Hyde for a fourth-round pick, if not less.
This is reporting from earlier in the year, not recent. Calling out rosenthal on his "reporting." 

We’ve seen RB Matt Breida do well obviously all offseason and camp and through the exhibition season. Is he your number two running back behind Carlos Hyde going into the season?

“No, I’m not going to predict any of that until after the game this week. We wanted to give him a chance. He’s done a good job. We wanted to see him out there as little bit earlier in the game, especially against a good defense like Minnesota. I thought he did a good job. I thought the other guys did too. We’ve got some tough decisions here to make at running back, but we’re going to let it all play out. We definitely need this game on Thursday to see the other guys too. They’ve all made it real tough on us.”

We’ve seen RB Matt Breida do well obviously all offseason and camp and through the exhibition season. Is he your number two running back behind Carlos Hyde going into the season?

“No, I’m not going to predict any of that until after the game this week. We wanted to give him a chance. He’s done a good job. We wanted to see him out there as little bit earlier in the game, especially against a good defense like Minnesota. I thought he did a good job. I thought the other guys did too. We’ve got some tough decisions here to make at running back, but we’re going to let it all play out. We definitely need this game on Thursday to see the other guys too. They’ve all made it real tough on us.”
This is an interesting quote.  Just when we think we have this backfield kinda figured out, we are reminded that nothing is certain.  If I had to guess based on what we know right now, I would say Hyde is going nowhere, and Breida opens the season as Hyde's primary backup.  However, I don't know how much value Breida has in that role, as we would likely see some sort of RBBC if Hyde misses time.

This is an interesting quote.  Just when we think we have this backfield kinda figured out, we are reminded that nothing is certain.  If I had to guess based on what we know right now, I would say Hyde is going nowhere, and Breida opens the season as Hyde's primary backup.  However, I don't know how much value Breida has in that role, as we would likely see some sort of RBBC if Hyde misses time.
There is a lot less figured out. There are old articles posted that were pure speculation and others about some unnamed reports.  All of it is meaningless.  Some terrible reporting to generate clicks.  

This seems like a good way to read the tea leaves of what the coach is saying to me.

A lot of his statement is just to not demotivate all of the other players they have right now. To keep them all engaged and doing the best they can. He likely has a good idea what all of his players can do from practices by now, although practice is not the same as playing actual games. Some players are good in practice but it doesn't carry over to the game, other players suck in practice but are good when there is a real game being played.

Anyhow it is different than the coach clearly stating what the pecking order of the RBs are, which they do sometimes when it is something they have completely made their mind up about.

I think Cosell makes a good point about the outside zone. A player who is faster is more of a threat to just bounce this play outside for good yardage. Without that threat the defense can stay home for the cut back lanes a bit more, as they have a little more leeway if the RB does take the play outside, to catch them in pursuit before a big gain.

That said plenty of slower RB have been very successful in this same system. Morris is not particularly fast but effective in the outside zone anyways.

What Cosell says about this is very brief. At the end he says that Hyde can fit this system even if it is not ideal (due to lack of speed).

His comments about Joe Williams have a qualifying question, he says "assuming Williams has had a good camp". Cosell doesn't know how well Williams has been doing in camp, or I don't think he would say this.

In my 12 team Super-flex, PPR redraft yesterday Hyde went 5.10 as the #19 RB off the board. He is that squad's #2 RB behind Howard.  L.Miller went 5.9 (I prefer Hyde) and McCaffrey (5.4) and Hunt (5.5) all before Hyde.

RBs who went after Hyde were J.Mixon (3.11), B.Powell (6.1), J.White (6.4) & M.Ingram (6.5).  Ingram is one I might consider before Hyde but probably not.

Does anyone have a definitive birthdate on Hyde?

Wiki has September 20, 1990 listed in one place and 1991 in another.

He was a fifth year senior so it's possible he will turn 24 going into his rookie season, which is something to consider in dynasty leagues.
Did this ever get sorted out? Three and a half years later, PFR, NFL.com, and ESPN have him with a 1990 birthdate. The 49ers website, Rotoworld, and Yahoo have him with a 1991 birthdate (or currently age 25).

In my 12 team Super-flex, PPR redraft yesterday Hyde went 5.10 as the #19 RB off the board. He is that squad's #2 RB behind Howard.  L.Miller went 5.9 (I prefer Hyde) and McCaffrey (5.4) and Hunt (5.5) all before Hyde.

RBs who went after Hyde were J.Mixon (3.11), B.Powell (6.1), J.White (6.4) & M.Ingram (6.5).  Ingram is one I might consider before Hyde but probably not.
Where did cook go?

Drafted Hyde last night. Some bozo went on auto pilot "to get a snickers" and while he did so he took Breida basically by accident (and early).

Anyways, how many Hyde owners are feeling it important to handcuff Breida to him? I doubt this owner cares about Breida. 

I could offer either C. Kupp or C. Carson to sleep a little better.

Drafted Hyde last night. Some bozo went on auto pilot "to get a snickers" and while he did so he took Breida basically by accident (and early).

Anyways, how many Hyde owners are feeling it important to handcuff Breida to him? I doubt this owner cares about Breida. 

I could offer either C. Kupp or C. Carson to sleep a little better.
I would much rather handcuff Hyde with Breida than carry Carson; Breida's path to meaningful playing time this season is a whole lot less congested..

The importance of having Breida really depends upon your RB depth.  Odds are fairly high that Hyde misses time at some point this season.  When (if) that happens, do you have adequate depth to cover, especially if it happens in the midst of bye weeks?

I have a feeling the 49ers will pick Hightower back up after week 1, so I'm not sure Breida is the clear handcuff.   But assuming he is, I would call him a mid-tier handcuff.  He seems versatile enough to play all 3 downs if called on.  That's nice to have but hardly necessary; it's not like he's Derrick Henry or Tevin Coleman.

My personal perspective: I have Hyde on 3 teams this year and Breida is still on the wire in all those leagues.  I will probably leave him there.

I have a feeling the 49ers will pick Hightower back up after week 1, so I'm not sure Breida is the clear handcuff.   But assuming he is, I would call him a mid-tier handcuff.  He seems versatile enough to play all 3 downs if called on.  That's nice to have but hardly necessary; it's not like he's Derrick Henry or Tevin Coleman.

My personal perspective: I have Hyde on 3 teams this year and Breida is still on the wire in all those leagues.  I will probably leave him there.
Why would a team that considers the guy number 2 in the rb depth chart release him and then not even bother to pick him back up until after week1?  It makes no sense what so ever.  

You are right Brieda is free for now and those guys are being drafted when starters are still available. Brieda would get his chance if Hyde went down.

Users who are viewing this thread