What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (3 Viewers)

Got into the BK half this past week. Race is May 18th and going to start formal training schedule after I return from Telluride ski trip on March 23rd. Before then will try to keep up decent workout pace with a couple of 5k runs a week depending on weather as I don’t like to run when it is in 30s.
Ok well I am full on prep for Brooklyn Half-Marathon at this point. Race is just under 6 weeks away at this point and I am running three times a week with one "long-run" and two shorter runs (usually 3 to 4 miles but always over a 5k). Also, trying to cross train a bit using my Peloton by doing an endurance bike rides (a bit like heart rate zone 2 running) at least once a week and some Peloton strength classes on days I don't run.

I did just under 7 miles yesterday (6.9 miles as I miss judged my route a bit) and plan to ramp that up by a mile each week until I hit 10 miles (so 8 miles next week). I may do two weeks at 10 miles once I hit that distance and then dial down for last week or so before the race.

So far things seem to be going well though I do feel like **** after the long runs but my pace is slower then I had hoped. Of course this is my first half-marathon so more just going for running the whole thing but was hoping to tie my pace to my better 10k times per those charts you see out there but that doesn't seem likely.

Lastly, anyone have any advice on a knee support sleeve. My left knee always tends to hurt at the end of longer runs and honestly I have an old "drinking" injury where I hurt/sprained it drunk like 20 years ago. Feels fine next day but wondering if one of those compression sleeves might help a bit.
Probably worth a try. Do you do any work to strengthen the surrounding muscles?
I actually do a ton of squats and lounges before and during ski season as skiing is my real sport that I focus on. That has ended at this point and not designed for my knee specifically but more so to have my legs stronger for mogul runs. Honestly, it is the repeated impact of running that creates the issue. It has gotten better as I have run more but seems like when I push longer distances the impact takes a toll.

If anyone wants to track me Saturday: https://register.chronotrack.com/event/tracking/eventID/78976

Just don't expect anything grand! My "plan" is to not overthink things and just run and see what happens.

Good luck to the Boston runners (just @SteelCurtain this year?), Mrs. @gianmarco, and anyone else running this weekend!
@Zasada running them streets I believe.
Not sure how much running there is going to be for me, but yeah I'll be there.

Jeez, @Juxtatarot …that’s incredible!!! Sounds like you’ve got an unusual in-race story to tell as well.

:pickle:

eta: Congrats on the AG win as well (1st of 14 ...and a fifteen minute gap!)

Last edited:
2024 BQ.2 Race Report

So the theme of this marathon is to qualify runners for Boston. They run it twice a year – right before the qualifying deadline in September and also around this time in the Spring. It’s small (only 168 runners for this one) but, due to the theme, it attracts a faster, more experienced group than your typical marathon. I ran it once before in 2017. It’s a flat, looped course (mostly 8 loops down, over and back a river), and the 6:30 start time is early enough that the temps shouldn’t get too bad. That was the case yesterday, with starting temperatures in the 40s and only getting into the 50s by the end.

I don’t have an itching desire to run Boston next year but since the conditions/course are so nice and the race is only a 30 minute drive away, it works out nicely for me. It can be used to qualify for other marathons as well, of course, so it is more likely that I’ll use it for that. Maybe even Chicago 2025 which would be a month after falling into a new age bracket.

As I mentioned before, training wasn’t great for this one. However, during the last month or so, I frequently ran at what I considered marathon pace and that seemed to really work well for me.

Now to the race...

The first pace group was for a 3:00 Boston qualifying time, and they were planning to hit 2:57. The next group was the 3:05/3:02 group. The last time I ran this marathon, I don’t think there were 3:00 pacers and I wasn’t expecting them. The first seemed too fast and the second too slow. However, I did have a desire to be in a group if it worked.

People really took off fast at the start. I was a little surprised by that. However, by mile 4 I was feeling fine and noticed I was catching up with the 2:57 pace group. Maybe 10 people or so in the group. I decided that I was doing well enough to run with them. I did so for the next several miles and it was nice to settle in like that.

Skip to mile 12. I had a GU and some water. As I finished the water I saw a garbage can to put it in and veered a little to the right before attempting a toss of the cup. I made the toss, watched it miss, and then BAM! I ran into something and fell down. Here’s where it happened. Notice the brick structure right where the brick sidewalk ends and the cement path begins. Anyway, I was able to get back up and start running. It was embarrassing since I was near the front of the pace group at the time. Fortunately, no major injuries - mostly just pain in the mid-chest where the impact was (I currently have a 6 x 4-inch red mark), some scuffing on my arm and leg, and a stubbed toe. The toe was the most annoying as it hurt for the rest of the race.

Around the half-way point I got out in front of the pace group and left them. I don’t know why. I may have been thinking about the fall and forgot about them. Anyway, I was feeling reasonably well so I just let natural pacing do its thing.

The nice thing about running a looped course is it helps breakdown and visualize the rest of the race. I was certainly feeling the early signs of energy depletion with 3 laps to go. I thought I could probably gut out the last lap if I had to. And that’s basically what happened. Per Garmin, my last 4 miles (6:48, 6:50, 7:00, 7:07) were the slowest.

I finished in 2:56:01. 13th overall. It’s my second fastest marathon. PR is 2:55:37 so I wasn’t far off. I’m very pleased since it’s been so long since I’ve run a marathon and I know I can train better next time.

la-di-da the guy has a brick ****house jump right in front of his path and fells him with one swoop but our guy just says FU to the brick and gets up and dusts himself off on the way to a sub 3 marathon and his second best ever…….

How my life feels sometimes

Any update on our Boston friends? Seems like weather is a bit challenging - pretty strong tailwind but also pretty toasty.

2024 BQ.2 Race Report

So the theme of this marathon is to qualify runners for Boston. They run it twice a year – right before the qualifying deadline in September and also around this time in the Spring. It’s small (only 168 runners for this one) but, due to the theme, it attracts a faster, more experienced group than your typical marathon. I ran it once before in 2017. It’s a flat, looped course (mostly 8 loops down, over and back a river), and the 6:30 start time is early enough that the temps shouldn’t get too bad. That was the case yesterday, with starting temperatures in the 40s and only getting into the 50s by the end.

I don’t have an itching desire to run Boston next year but since the conditions/course are so nice and the race is only a 30 minute drive away, it works out nicely for me. It can be used to qualify for other marathons as well, of course, so it is more likely that I’ll use it for that. Maybe even Chicago 2025 which would be a month after falling into a new age bracket.

As I mentioned before, training wasn’t great for this one. However, during the last month or so, I frequently ran at what I considered marathon pace and that seemed to really work well for me.

Now to the race...

The first pace group was for a 3:00 Boston qualifying time, and they were planning to hit 2:57. The next group was the 3:05/3:02 group. The last time I ran this marathon, I don’t think there were 3:00 pacers and I wasn’t expecting them. The first seemed too fast and the second too slow. However, I did have a desire to be in a group if it worked.

People really took off fast at the start. I was a little surprised by that. However, by mile 4 I was feeling fine and noticed I was catching up with the 2:57 pace group. Maybe 10 people or so in the group. I decided that I was doing well enough to run with them. I did so for the next several miles and it was nice to settle in like that.

Skip to mile 12. I had a GU and some water. As I finished the water I saw a garbage can to put it in and veered a little to the right before attempting a toss of the cup. I made the toss, watched it miss, and then BAM! I ran into something and fell down. Here’s where it happened. Notice the brick structure right where the brick sidewalk ends and the cement path begins. Anyway, I was able to get back up and start running. It was embarrassing since I was near the front of the pace group at the time. Fortunately, no major injuries - mostly just pain in the mid-chest where the impact was (I currently have a 6 x 4-inch red mark), some scuffing on my arm and leg, and a stubbed toe. The toe was the most annoying as it hurt for the rest of the race.

Around the half-way point I got out in front of the pace group and left them. I don’t know why. I may have been thinking about the fall and forgot about them. Anyway, I was feeling reasonably well so I just let natural pacing do its thing.

The nice thing about running a looped course is it helps breakdown and visualize the rest of the race. I was certainly feeling the early signs of energy depletion with 3 laps to go. I thought I could probably gut out the last lap if I had to. And that’s basically what happened. Per Garmin, my last 4 miles (6:48, 6:50, 7:00, 7:07) were the slowest.

I finished in 2:56:01. 13th overall. It’s my second fastest marathon. PR is 2:55:37 so I wasn’t far off. I’m very pleased since it’s been so long since I’ve run a marathon and I know I can train better next time.
If one of us ever writes a book on the activity in this thread through the many years , we now have an appropriate title:
Hitting the Wall

Any update on our Boston friends? Seems like weather is a bit challenging - pretty strong tailwind but also pretty toasty.
They’re both in. As they anticipated, the paces weren’t fast. Looking forward to hearing about the experiences, though, especially for @Zasada as a first-timer.
Yup, just a fun-run for @SteelCurtain and me. I'm actually happy with the <4hr time. Told my wife to expect 4-5.

Experience was electric and incredible. By far the most energizing race (in terms of spectator energy) I've ever run. Not even close. Never got chills on a race like I did turning on to Boylston.

Will write a "fun run report" soon!

24 seconds feels like rounding error, and probably more than the time it took to recover from your crash. Many would have let the crash sabotage their race, and you used it to kick things up a notch. #BMF

Great race, and it will be incredible to see what you run when/if you embark on a marathon-focused training cycle.

Hitting the Wall
When I first saw the Strava wall reference, I checked the weather in IL assuming it was windy, and then I was shuked because it was only like 5-10mph. And from the splits I could see he didn't hit any sort of energy wall. I never even considered that he was talking about a literal, physical wall. The real story is so much better (and bad ***) than anything I was imagining.

Boston Marathon Fun Run Report

Rather than focus on paces and times, I'm going to focus on experiences. I haven't been training -- rehabbing an ankle injury that I've not been rehabbing enough for almost a year now. So there was no PR in the cards, and honestly I thought 4 hours would be tough given my current fitness. So the only way to not be miserable this race was to throw pace and time out the window, and just enjoy it.

Which I did.

Memories, in race order:

Hopkinton, right after the start, with families out on their lawns, bbqing, drinking, and cheering-on the runners on a very small scale. These people can't leave their house for ~3-4 hours on Patriot's Day, and embrace it.

Ashland, this is where the crowds got more dense. I was desperate to see the statue of Spencer, the official dog of the Boston Marathon, who always greeted runners and famously carried the "Boston Strong" sign after the bombings. He unfortunately passed away, but has had a statue erected in his honour, and other goldens now congregate there on race day. Apparently on Mile 3, and I searched for them, with no luck. The crowds were dense and they must have been hidden. This proved to be my only (minor) disappointment of the day.

I was running in a group/corral that had qualified at my time (3:13), but much faster than my current fitness. I ran comfortably, but at a pace I knew wasn't sustainable. I started to feel the fatigue around 15K, and set a goal to run to the halfway point, and then walk/run from there (which I did).

The towns up to the halfway point saw increased spectator participation, with business signs cheering-on runners.

Then I started to hear the scream tunnel. Oh my. Got to the "Wellesley" town sign and knew what was coming. And it didn't disappoint. It felt like the girls lined the course for a good 500 meters. And they were loud. So loud. Great signs (I posted a video on Strava). I couldn't help but think "how do they scream for 2-3 hours???". I ran about halfway through the "tunnel" and felt like I just had to turn on my phone and record it. So what I recorded was less than half of the experience. It was the loudest cheering I had heard on any race I have run.

But it would be eclipsed later in the race.

Each town got more and more loud on the route. There was one section (between the Wellesley and Netwon, IIRC) which had just huge crowds. Cheering nonstop. Still so amazing to me. Cheering for even 5 minutes feels like work, and these people were doing it for hours?! It was so loud I actually had to clap to "thank" them for being so awesome. Which made them cheer even louder!

One challenge is that after the halfway point, I tried to take opportunities to walk to keep it me in the right spirits. But it felt so terrible to walk while a few dozen people are feet away from you cheering you on. But that got me running more! For future walks I was more strategic and tried to place the walks during lulls in the crowd.

Heartbreak Hill. Heard lots about this going into the race. And I told my wife that I one goal for the race (other than "having fun"): Run the entirety of Heartbreak Hill. It was a grind at that point in the race, but I did it. Once again, the crowd concentrated themselves on the climb (and thinned at the crest) to motivate the runners. I had heard somewhere that the BC students might have beer at the top of the hill for runners (which I had planned to partake in, if given the option), but no such luck. Either way, it felt like an achievement for me to run the hill.

Brookline. My cousin and his wife live in Brookline, less than a half mile from the course. My wife and I had dinner with them the night before the race, and while my cousin was traveling race day, my cousin's wife said she'd be cheering-on the runners and would look for me. Which felt like a good plan, until I saw the crowds of Brookline. There were so many people I was afraid I wouldn't find her.

At one point in Brookline, where I thought she would be, I heard a group of guys yelling "GO BRIAN, KILL IT BRIAN, YOU'RE DOING AWESOME BRIAN!", looking at me, not some other random "Brian". But my name wasn't on my bib. Took me a second but I could see them looking on a tablet, which I surmised they were using to look up names from bib numbers. But the energy with which they were cheering me -- putting some real oomph into it. Immediately put a smile on my face and kept me running.

After having gone far enough to think I had missed my cousin's wife, I slowed to a walk for a break, and to mess with my handheld which was annoying me. Got it sorted, got back to running, and seconds later I hear a "GO BRIAN!!!!!" and there she was! Recording a video of me, and her neighbours and her were cheering me on. So awesome. Once again, automatically put a smile back on my face.

Which seemed to be a theme of the day -- cheering crowds making me smile involuntarily. How great is that?

Now from Brookline to Boston, the crescendo started. I didn't think the energy could get any higher (way above anything else I had ever experienced before -- not even close), but it just kept getting louder. And louder, and louder.

Right on Hereford. And then left on Boylston.

Oh my. Something I will remember for the rest of my life.

Crowds were packed, right from the street to the buildings behind them (my wife was refused entry because of crowding). I could see the finish down the street in the distance. I was running dead-center on Boylston, and the noise was deafening. I couldn't help but run, and run faster. I was smiling ear-to-ear. And continued to run right down the centerline, with a good 5 meters of space all around me to myself (this is also the most dense marathon -- runner wise -- I have run). Just soaking it in. It was the most incredible 2 minutes of running of my life. I feel like I can't find words to describe it. A thought crossed my mind, from @SteelCurtain's world major reviews on Strava, about Boston being a little "meh" compared to NYC and London. "HOW IS IT POSSIBLE THAT THIS EXPERIENCE IS "MEH"???", I thought.

I crossed the finish line, got a water, and my medal. Which felt really special -- like the end of a journey -- running once a week, my first 10K, my first HM, my first marathon, qualifying for Boston (never really even thought possible by me), and now finishing Boston, with a medal around my neck.

Made my way through the gauntlet, found my wife, she helped me back to the hotel room, and everything was there ready for me. Snacks, water, towel and shower ready to go, and fresh clothes. She got me into the shower where I soaked my (not ready for a marathon) sore body and then sat down to process the experience.

Afterward, @SteelCurtain texted to say that "today was really really really special", and that "Boylston is the best finish of all the majors", and now that squared my circle of confusion. The beautiful weather of the day (for spectating -- a little warm for running) created an exceptional crowd, including at the finish.

I normally hold off a day or two to write my race reports, but I wanted to get pen to paper while the memories were the most fresh. Even now, I fear I have left off and forgotten a half-dozen experiences which would have likely individually ranked as my highlight of any other race.

Awesome awesome awesome.

Last edited:
Hitting the Wall
When I first saw the Strava wall reference, I checked the weather in IL assuming it was windy, and then I was shuked because it was only like 5-10mph. And from the splits I could see he didn't hit any sort of energy wall. I never even considered that he was talking about a literal, physical wall. The real story is so much better (and bad ***) than anything I was imagining.
If a video were to exist, I assure you it wouldn't have looked bad ***!

@Zasada - that report almost makes want to get up and start training again.

You painted a great picture, and I am so jealous a guy like me will never experience that. But you did. You did it for guys like me, because I know running another street marathon is not your jam.

But you really, really, really soaked it in. And for a guy who will never experience that, I could FEEL that report. And that’s good enough for ME.

Thanks man. That was beautiful.

I've run Boston 7 times and Monday was the absolute best it has been. I agree with @Zasada in his thoughts that the weather was ideal for the casual spectator to come out and cheer for a few hours.

Perhaps Kipchoge running Boston last year brought a few more casual fans to experience the marathon and they returned this year to cheer?

The crowds Monday were at the NYC/London level. Boston really brought it.

The only thing I will say is Boylston (the finish area) is always super loud. It was loud like that in 2018 when it was a monsoon. Its always packed and the noise reverberates off the buildings. Best finish in all the majors....and it isn't even close.

I've run Boston 7 times and Monday was the absolute best it has been. I agree with @Zasada in his thoughts that the weather was ideal for the casual spectator to come out and cheer for a few hours.

Perhaps Kipchoge running Boston last year brought a few more casual fans to experience the marathon and they returned this year to cheer?

The crowds Monday were at the NYC/London level. Boston really brought it.

The only thing I will say is Boylston (the finish area) is always super loud. It was loud like that in 2018 when it was a monsoon. Its always packed and the noise reverberates off the buildings. Best finish in all the majors....and it isn't even close.
Caitlyn Clark effect. :coffee:

@Zasada - that report almost makes want to get up and start training again.

You painted a great picture, and I am so jealous a guy like me will never experience that. But you did. You did it for guys like me, because I know running another street marathon is not your jam.

But you really, really, really soaked it in. And for a guy who will never experience that, I could FEEL that report. And that’s good enough for ME.

Thanks man. That was beautiful.

Agreed!

@Zasada - phenomenal report. This is going to make me work a little harder to BQ for 2026.

Glad you got such a memorable experience :towelwave:

that report almost makes want to get up and start training again.
:yes: Almost
I've been going to a chiropracter/PT guy for the last 10 days, and we've been doing some exercises and also some traction for my neck. The traction has really relieved a lot of the tension on my upper neck and surrounding muscles. So making some good progress there. So picking up running again after the move is not out of the question.

This move will wreck all that. :lol:

Which, by the way, starts tomorrow! I am driving up in the AM to Wausau, WI, which will be our landing spot until we find a house. I will come back in May for high school graduation and to pack the house into a truck and bring all our stuff up there.

84 degrees yesterday here in KC. 44 tomorrow when I hit Wausau in the afternoon.

The 86 and humidity on Monday here in KC while I was working on packing really sucked. One of the reasons I'm moving. I'm turning into @gruecd . :lol:

that report almost makes want to get up and start training again.
:yes: Almost
I've been going to a chiropracter/PT guy for the last 10 days, and we've been doing some exercises and also some traction for my neck. The traction has really relieved a lot of the tension on my upper neck and surrounding muscles. So making some good progress there. So picking up running again after the move is not out of the question.

This move will wreck all that. :lol:

Which, by the way, starts tomorrow! I am driving up in the AM to Wausau, WI, which will be our landing spot until we find a house. I will come back in May for high school graduation and to pack the house into a truck and bring all our stuff up there.

84 degrees yesterday here in KC. 44 tomorrow when I hit Wausau in the afternoon.

The 86 and humidity on Monday here in KC while I was working on packing really sucked. One of the reasons I'm moving. I'm turning into @gruecd . :lol:
Godspeed!
It isn’t even 86° in northern Alabama yet.

I’m sure it’s buried somewhere in this thread, but anyone track their VO2 max on an iWatch? Have you compared it to other measurements, and how accurate is it?

Any luck improving VO2 max after age 50?

Made it to Wisconsin. Was 82 on Wednesday in KC and currently 29 degrees with a few flurries as I head to bed.

But, I stepped outside a few minutes ago and heard nothing but silence. No traffic, no sirens, no helicopters, no horns honking, no car doors slamming.

Bliss….

I’m sure it’s buried somewhere in this thread, but anyone track their VO2 max on an iWatch? Have you compared it to other measurements, and how accurate is it?

Most (all?) of us get VO2 max estimates on our watches. The accuracy on watches isn’t great. There are often differences when compared to more formal tests.

Certainly one’s VO2 max can increase over time with consistent, quality training. In can be insightful to compare trends in the watch’s VO2 max measurements over time as an indicator of relative fitness despite it’s questionable accuracy.

Its a relative measure from a Garmin or other watch based on anctivities and resting HR and active HR and maybe what zones you have set up and age and weight probably amongst other things.

My watch measured # goes up as I get more fit throughout the season and it likes faster workouts.
Plain English podcast latest episode just talked on this topic with a couple smart guys and not me.

I’d second what the other guys said …the garmins aren’t a great measure, but they pick up the fitness trend over time. I can often anticipate if garmin will be labeling a run as “productive” or not.

As to improving over age 50 …sure, it’s no problem to improve it. Just gotta do the work. It just takes more work as the years go on.

I’ll look occasionally but not focused on it.
My goal is to keep
RHR < age < vO2
Weird, I'm the exact opposite. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
Yeah, I was wondering how he arrived at that hierarchy.

I’m also the opposite :kicksrock:

First time I've looked at my VO2 max in a very long time

46 > 41 > 52

Couple blips into the mid 50's when I've been able to string together a few healthy active weeks in a row, but I haven't been anywhere near 60 since last spring.

Users who are viewing this thread