What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (7 Viewers)

Bib numbers for Boston? Anywhere? Buehler?
To track me, you should text 'RUNNER' to '234567'.

You then will be prompted to enter bib #.  My bib number is 11016.

You'll will get a confirmation that you are following me. My initials are KR.

PR is 3:18:55.  Original goal was sub 3:15.  Winds are expected to be a headwind of 15-40 mph with heavy rain (2.5" worth), so I really don't know how it will go tomorrow.  Thanks for your support.

PS  It is snowing right now in Boston. No accumulations, but just cold, windy, nasty out there. 

Thank you all for the great advice. Any recommendations on recovery other than stretching & napping?  My sromach was a wreck last night from the odd diet.  But today I'm just tired. 
Nice, congrats!  You sign up for another race yet? ;)

As for recovery, the key for me is movement - just walk around a lot later in the day after the race and especially the next day.

So i did my first ever 1/2, yesterday.  Some "highlights".

I did the big pasta lunch Friday.  I didn't manage to evacuate it all before the race Saturday morning. Luckily it wasn't an issue (whew).

Friday night got a call from my buddies i was supposed to run with.  The forcast was 38 and solid rain Saturday morning, so they bailed.  They are either weak or smart, or a little of both.

The forecast rang true. Sure enough Saturday morning was miserable. I put a plastic poncho on, but was pretty wet by the time i walked the 2 blocks to the start area. 1 mile into the race i was thoroughly soaked.  

My legs were slightly tight going into the race. I couldn't get them fully loose for some reason. Luckily they really didn't get worse during the race. 

Being my first race, i didn't realize what a cluster the start can be. It took about a mile to get some decent space. Then probably another 2 miles to find a nice pocket where i didn't have to worry about bumping others much at all.  By halfway through the race there were 4 of us with no one else 50 yards in front or behind. So it was spacious, but not empty. I just stayed with them instead of fighting to get my phone out of the plastic bag to check time/pace. 

Other than the start, i ran fairly consistent throughout. The course was level most of the way except for the last mile which was had a lot of up n down hills (mostly up). I ended up passing a bunch of people in that mile because they were slowing down on the uphill portions.  Although it was tempting, i did not part partake. I wanted to pee and get dry, so i was powering through at my normal pace - maybe even a bit more as the end was in sight. 

Finished the race at just under 2 hours. I'll credit myself with an extra 30 seconds for the 5 lbs of wet clothes i carried with me.  Syraba showed i ran a bit further with a better pace than the official chip did, so I'll go with that!  I guess my path wasn't so efficient. 

My biggest takeaway from the training & race - You guys who do full marathons and more are freaking nuts. Very impressive. 

Thank you all for the great advice. Any recommendations on recovery other than stretching & napping?  My sromach was a wreck last night from the odd diet.  But today I'm just tired. 
Congrats on your race!  Well done with a strong finish!

Don't try to run for a couple days, however, getting up and walking around several times a day is important to keep the muscles from getting too tight.  In terms of napping -- enjoy it!  Nap all you want. 

Last edited by a moderator:

PR is 3:18:55.  Original goal was sub 3:15.  Winds are expected to be a headwind of 15-40 mph with heavy rain (2.5" worth), so I really don't know how it will go tomorrow.  Thanks for your support.

PS  It is snowing right now in Boston. No accumulations, but just cold, windy, nasty out there. 
Done.  

Juxtatarot said:
I don't have a good understanding of the ratio of complex vs. simple carbs I should be having.  I've been surprised reading suggestions such as jam on toast and even having juice.  I get the warning about having too much fiber but other than that, I would have assumed a high percentage of complex.
Just remember the tried and true don't do anything different now than your body is accustomed to. Some clean up tweaks may benefit, but too much and your body may give you the finger. 

Just as an example, juice and I do not get along. Tried it once and never again. Insides felt on fire before the GI said enough. 

SteelCurtain said:

Don't change the plan. Just don't look at the watch! However the story unfolds tomorrow it'll be one you can share forever. 

Juxtatarot said:
Thanks. This is going to be hard for me. I’m so used to consuming fat to get easy calories (cheeses, oils). I’ve never carbed up correctly before. I should have “practiced” weeks ago.
Lunch today was a pizza bagel, pizza sauce on the bottom, salami and pepperoni, diced tomatoes pepperoncini red onion and black olives, stacked with peppered shredded mozzarella and some Italian dressing on the top half. We call it Not a Ciabatta. While preparing it we soak the outer half of each bagel on the cooking sprayed foil. 

Tldr - keep your cheese and oils, just consider mixing in some of the other stuff too. Your body is probably more fat adapted than mine. 

Lunch today was a pizza bagel, pizza sauce on the bottom, salami and pepperoni, diced tomatoes pepperoncini red onion and black olives, stacked with peppered shredded mozzarella and some Italian dressing on the top half. We call it Not a Ciabatta. While preparing it we soak the outer half of each bagel on the cooking sprayed foil. 

Tldr - keep your cheese and oils, just consider mixing in some of the other stuff too. Your body is probably more fat adapted than mine. 
My carb staples for years now have been brown rice, whole wheat bread and whole grain pasta. I’m decent about fruits. Vegetables not so much and when I do that’s one area that I’ll add the fats. 

I have historically had a bonking problem so I’d like to get whatever help I can from diet. My plan is to cut out fatty meat and cut way back on oil and butter this week while increasing my carb staples. I’ll also have more potatoes which I’ve always digested well.

@SteelCurtain, thx for the text info!  That'll be a lot easier than continual web checks.

We've had nasty weather here in Chicago - cold, windy, and some recent snow pellets.  But ...a hat and gloves can keep away the worst of the chill, and while wet is an irritant, it's not unlike running in the heat where we're dripping/soaked with sweat.  Your weather will have outward effects, but it won't be debilitating like a 70-80 degree, sunny day would be.  Your weather challenges will mostly be mental  vs. race-related physical.  Can't wait to see the results!!!!

So the Zumbro 100/50/17 mile races were held, mostly, this weekend.  We ended up having Snowmageddon here in Minnesota...upwards of 20+” fell in some places.  The 100 milers went off Friday prior to the onslaught of snow, with just 20/120 finishing, for a finish rate of less than 17%.  The 50 milers started at midnight on Friday night with just 49/175 completing the race for a 28% finish rate.  The 17 miler, scheduled for Saturday morning, was canceled in the middle of the night prior to the race start as many of the roads to/from the relatively remote race became impassable with the accumulating snow and high winds.  To put the finish rates and weather into perspective, last years race weather was as perfect as its ever been with a dry trail, lots of sun, and temps in the upper 70s.  Finishing rates for the 100 and 50 were 65% and 79%, respectively.  

Glad the Minnesota Craft Beer Festival took priority for me this year and that I wasn’t signed up.   :banned:

While we wait for SCs starting gun... moved my Monday morn gym session up to today whilst it pours so I can stay in bed tomorrow. This week will be some blend of meats/rice/bagels/water/lube for me as I back off to (even) shorter runs and fuel up for a trail half(River Valley Run) on sat morning.  Not sure how this will compare to last years trail half on a different course but expect it to be tougher. Will need to compare the big hills to see what to expect and where to avoid HR and/or groin blowout.  Last month my race week meat bomb was excessive so I’ll have to avoid the 3 meat platter at the bbq joint after mid week.

Stoked for what is supposed to be one of the better trail experiences round these parts to scratch that itch before lotsa less rocky/rooty  summer miles on the path to marathon #2 (10000 hansons related questions likely to come this summer). 

jabarony said:
So i did my first ever 1/2, yesterday.  Some "highlights".

I did the big pasta lunch Friday.  I didn't manage to evacuate it all before the race Saturday morning. Luckily it wasn't an issue (whew).

Friday night got a call from my buddies i was supposed to run with.  The forcast was 38 and solid rain Saturday morning, so they bailed.  They are either weak or smart, or a little of both.

The forecast rang true. Sure enough Saturday morning was miserable. I put a plastic poncho on, but was pretty wet by the time i walked the 2 blocks to the start area. 1 mile into the race i was thoroughly soaked.  

My legs were slightly tight going into the race. I couldn't get them fully loose for some reason. Luckily they really didn't get worse during the race. 

Being my first race, i didn't realize what a cluster the start can be. It took about a mile to get some decent space. Then probably another 2 miles to find a nice pocket where i didn't have to worry about bumping others much at all.  By halfway through the race there were 4 of us with no one else 50 yards in front or behind. So it was spacious, but not empty. I just stayed with them instead of fighting to get my phone out of the plastic bag to check time/pace. 

Other than the start, i ran fairly consistent throughout. The course was level most of the way except for the last mile which was had a lot of up n down hills (mostly up). I ended up passing a bunch of people in that mile because they were slowing down on the uphill portions.  Although it was tempting, i did not part partake. I wanted to pee and get dry, so i was powering through at my normal pace - maybe even a bit more as the end was in sight. 

Finished the race at just under 2 hours. I'll credit myself with an extra 30 seconds for the 5 lbs of wet clothes i carried with me.  Syraba showed i ran a bit further with a better pace than the official chip did, so I'll go with that!  I guess my path wasn't so efficient. 

My biggest takeaway from the training & race - You guys who do full marathons and more are freaking nuts. Very impressive. 

Great result, especially considering your first half AND those conditions. Congrats! 

SteelCurtain said:

Will be waiting anxiously for the texts tomorrow.

Good luck and kick some ###!  :headbang:

This is crazy weather.  

This morning they predicted the headwinds would start at 10 and eventually go up to 35 with gusts to 40.

Well, it’s changed so now, 30 mph headwind (gusts to 40) with heavy rain and temps in upper 30’s (real feel is 20).  By the end, downpours with 38 mph headwind and gusts to 50 mph.

Moral of the story?  All time goals are probably out the window. Gonna see how it feels in AM, I may try to go for 7:20 pace early but if I’m battling winds as expected, i don’t want to bonk which leads to walking which leads to hypothermia and then DNF.  I’m gonna have to be smart. 

It will be fascinating to see how the elites handle it.  I expect huge packs at the front as no one will want to push the pace and have to break the wind for 26.2.

Ten reasons we're all envious of @SteelCurtain on Monday:

1.  He gets to experience the excitement of waking up and prepping for a big race.  And he rides there on a VIP bus with porta potty - no peeing in a bottle in the back of the bus!

2.  He will walk along with the world's best marathoners to the start of the race and feel the buzz of the crowd.

3.  He can laugh as racers duck behind rocks and behind trees over the first few miles to take care of business ("rookies!  Carbo load was Saturday night!")

4.  He can feed off the energy and respect of the crowds - especially the little kids, thirsting for high fives (or dads with toddlers accepting high ones) while passing through the early towns.

5.  He gets to breeze under the HM banner and realize it was probably the easiest and certainly most memorable HM he's ever done.

6.  Wellesley girls.  The steady roar from almost a mile away; the clever signs; the kisses.  (Will he or won't he?)

7.  He will experience the turn at the Newton fire station, knowing it's "game on" for the stretch run of the friggin' Boston Marathon.

8.  He can shake his head over the rowdy, inebriated students of Boston College.  ("My students never act like that.")

9.  He will look ahead at the iconic Citgo sign, knowing he's bringing the race home and doing the FBG proud.

10. Right on Hereford; left on Boylston.  It just doesn't get any better than that! 

So the Zumbro 100/50/17 mile races were held, mostly, this weekend.  We ended up having Snowmageddon here in Minnesota...upwards of 20+” fell in some places.  The 100 milers went off Friday prior to the onslaught of snow, with just 20/120 finishing, for a finish rate of less than 17%.  The 50 milers started at midnight on Friday night with just 49/175 completing the race for a 28% finish rate.  The 17 miler, scheduled for Saturday morning, was canceled in the middle of the night prior to the race start as many of the roads to/from the relatively remote race became impassable with the accumulating snow and high winds.  To put the finish rates and weather into perspective, last years race weather was as perfect as its ever been with a dry trail, lots of sun, and temps in the upper 70s.  Finishing rates for the 100 and 50 were 65% and 79%, respectively.  

Glad the Minnesota Craft Beer Festival took priority for me this year and that I wasn’t signed up.   :banned:
Damn, sounds no bueno.  Sounds like you had the right weekend plans.  I was actually supposed to be in MSP this Wed-Fri, and looked at the weather yesterday. Oooof. But we just adopted/rescued a dog today, so I think I’ll cancel the trip. He’s a husky, a dog bred for centuries to run 100s of miles, so looks like I’ve got myself a trail running partner. 

But we just adopted/rescued a dog today, so I think I’ll cancel the trip. He’s a husky, a dog bred for centuries to run 100s of miles, so looks like I’ve got myself a trail running partner. 
I see lots of huskies on the trail.  Always looks like they're having a great time.  Yesterday ran across one with two different coloured eyes.  Quite striking.

And kudos for adopting and saving a life!

Damn, sounds no bueno.  Sounds like you had the right weekend plans.  I was actually supposed to be in MSP this Wed-Fri, and looked at the weather yesterday. Oooof. But we just adopted/rescued a dog today, so I think I’ll cancel the trip. He’s a husky, a dog bred for centuries to run 100s of miles, so looks like I’ve got myself a trail running partner. 
That should be awesome!  But what's the over/under on the first occurrence of (a) lingering skunk fumes, (b) other wild critter encounter, or (c) poison ivy/oak on uodie's fur?  

Moral of the story?  All time goals are probably out the window. Gonna see how it feels in AM, I may try to go for 7:20 pace early but if I’m battling winds as expected, i don’t want to bonk which leads to walking which leads to hypothermia and then DNF.  I’m gonna have to be smart. 
Boston is hard enough in normal circumstances. Be smart.  Either run by heart rate or put your watch in your pocket and run by feel.

That should be awesome!  But what's the over/under on the first occurrence of (a) lingering skunk fumes, (b) other wild critter encounter, or (c) poison ivy/oak on uodie's fur?  
Yeah, all likely to happen at some point. He’ll be on leash for the foreseeable future (maybe always?). And I’ll stick to less crowded fire roads for now until we figure each other out. I’m still covered in poison oak from last weekends race right now, and just finished my 6-day steroid treatment, so that’s the one most concerning. 

Missed two weeks over spring break.

Did 7.25 at just over 9:00s which pushed our conversational pace a bit (our slower third member was off coaching TinT).

NYC subway issues forced me into a 30min citibike ride (twice my normal commute) from natural history museum home... which after the run wiped me out.

TV in my office is already tuned to NBCSN.  Not much work getting done here this morning.

Related, I always get a serious case of FOMO when I'm not there running on Marathon Monday.  I ran in 2008 and then every year from 2010-2015.  I'd been thinking to just run every few years going forward, but now I'm thinking that 2019 might be the start of a new streak...

No change in the weather.  Gonna be awful.  What time does his wave start?
I don't think it looks that terrible....I've absolutely run in worse.  But then again, you can't really "see" the wind on TV.

I don't think it looks that terrible....but you can't really "see" the wind on TV.
I saw this on Twitter

Greg McMillan‏ @GregMcMillan 50m50 minutes ago

A Boston finisher's medal is a badge of honor but medals from '18 will be of the highest order. Did 6 mi here in Boston & it's brutal. The wind is very strong when exposed to it - as the leaders will face all day & the others will face as the race thins out in the latter miles.

I could just imagine if you were racing this thing.  There would be little people getting in fist fights to see who gets the best drafting position.
LOL probably true....and I'd be turning around non-stop telling them to take their turn pulling.  So annoying...

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Have a buddy running it for the first time, bib #6143 if you're interested. I told him he picked a helluva Boston to debut. He's no stranger to marathons, has run 5 but nothing like this. He's also about a buck 40 so the wind may pick him up and carry him away unless he's in a pack of Grue's.

I imagine the start will be cluster####.  They try to do such a good job with corrals but I'm sure people have all sorts of different pace strategies today.
I agree, I know it is a small sample size but of the 3 guys that I am tracking that made it to the 5K mark, 2 seem to be going for PRs.

Users who are viewing this thread