What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Quincy Enunwa (WR) (1 Viewer)

Deciding between Snead (late game toe issue uncertainty), Lockett (SEA anemic offense and Baldwin uncertainty) and Enumwa. Actually leaning Quincy given that Marshall may just make it out to play but be more of a decoy that draws coverage as he heals.

How is everyone feeling about Quincy these days?  As we approach the byes.  Still a good bye week filler?

How is everyone feeling about Quincy these days?  As we approach the byes.  Still a good bye week filler?
Snaps and targets are still there. ASJ being signed is interesting because many people were saying Enunwa was like a WR/TE hybrid type, but I don't think it has much of an impact on him. Fitz seems to love him and the guy can ball. 

Last week was an anomaly, Fitz wont be throwing 6 picks every week... it was just an all time terrible game for a QB and it just held back the entire offense. 

Homie's averaging over 8 targets a week. And that was with everyone healthy. Now mid season's approaching and it sounds like everyone but him is getting banged up. I love the value here.

Hearts.  Own him everywhere... when I heard Waldman compare him to T.O., that certainly caught my attention.  Then I saw him go for 5-91 in a half, with a healthy Marshall, Decker, and Forte.  Giddy up.

Well he didn't trend to 3 good games in a row. Fitz had a meltdown, but I know at least two of those were tipped ball INTs and 1 was a late desperation toss, so yeah only 3 "legit" picks LOL. These kinds of games can happen with FItz 50/50 ball mentality, and all 3 of these WRs are capable of winning 50/50 balls most weeks. Anyway I am going to give him a pass especially since Fitz was definitely off. Also he got a RZ target that he should have caught for a TD even though it was a tough pass to catch. That would have saved his week.

More importantly Decker could be sitting this week and Enunwa's targets are up. He only has 2 less targets than Marshall and has out produced both Decker and Marshall. I think Decker being out is better for him than Marshall being out as he can step into the role of WR2 more easily than WR1. Not worried about ASJ (yet).

SNY's Ralph Vacchiano suggests Quincy Enunwa could be the Jets' No. 1 receiver this season.
It's contingent on Eric Decker's (shoulder, hip) health, of course, but otherwise Enunwa's target competition consists of a slew of rookies and unproven pass catchers. Enunwa says he felt "limited" by ex-OC Chan Gailey's scheme and expects to play more X receiver this year, in addition to slot duties. Coming off a 58/857/4 breakout season, Enunwa makes for an intriguing late-round pick in best-ball leagues, where he is severely underpriced.

Source: SNY 
May 10 - 11:01 PM

Quincy Enunwa said new OC John Morton's offense is "predicated (on) getting the ball out fast."

"I think it's a good opportunity for guys to get the ball and make plays. It's also a great opportunity for us to not get as many turnovers," Enunwa said. "I think everybody is kind of buying in." The receiver added there are fewer option routes in the new offense, saying receivers have "to do exactly what is given to you." That simplicity could be good for the Jets' young quarterbacks, although veteran Josh McCown is fully expected to open the season as the starter. With just Eric Decker ahead of him, Enunwa is a good bet to better 100 targets again this season.

Source: Newark Star-Ledger 

Jun 5 - 12:50 PM

Following the news of Eric Decker's impending departure, Quincy Enunwa is expected to be the Jets' No. 1 receiver this season.

Enunwa and Robby Anderson are penciled in as the Jets' Nos. 1 and 2 wideouts, with rookie ArDarius Stewart as the favorite for No. 3 duties and likely to push Anderson for snaps. Decker averaged seven targets per game when he was healthy last season, and Brandon Marshall averaged 8.5. Both are gone. Enunwa returns as the leader in the clubhouse after seeing 105 passes his way. It's not out of the question that he could see 130-plus in 2017. He's a solid WR2.

Source: NJ Advance Media 

Jun 7 - 10:00 AM

I like Enunwa as much as anyone but he's just not a number one receiver.  
Agree in terms of talent, but in reality, he is the de facto #1 receiver now for the Jets. This alone makes him interesting, despite the woeful state of the Jets team in general.

I think given the talent he has flashed, he has the ability to improve with the increased number of targets he's going to see, but I do agree that don't think he can simply do that alone like other true NFL WR1s can . I think you need an equally strong WR to help draw coverage and help him find soft spots in one coverage. Seems like a lot of Enunwa's abilities -- being a big, reliable target, more of a posession receiver than a speedster -- rely on getting some coverage drawn away from him. That's what made him such a weapon lining up with Decker and Marshall (and the Jets ran 3-wide sets A LOT). As the #1 target of opposing CBs, will naturally be tougher for him.

Quincy now has requisite on-field experience. He had a 90.1% snap count rate, so he saw the field as much as a #1 WR does (mostly thanks to Decker's injury), and has developed into a better route runner and an even better blocker -- at the LOS and beyond. Major knocks come from drops and not converting attempts, but I think Fitz and Petty share some of that blame. 

Opportunity is there. He's risky as a WR2, but I think he has that upside this year (with a lot of downside risk given overall the Jets are going to be terrible) simply because of his new role in the offense. Will be interested in seeing how Morton changes the offense from being so dependent on 3-wide sets. This could help or hamper Quincy as well.

Agree in terms of talent, but in reality, he is the de facto #1 receiver now for the Jets. This alone makes him interesting, despite the woeful state of the Jets team in general.

I think given the talent he has flashed, he has the ability to improve with the increased number of targets he's going to see, but I do agree that don't think he can simply do that alone like other true NFL WR1s can . I think you need an equally strong WR to help draw coverage and help him find soft spots in one coverage. Seems like a lot of Enunwa's abilities -- being a big, reliable target, more of a posession receiver than a speedster -- rely on getting some coverage drawn away from him. That's what made him such a weapon lining up with Decker and Marshall (and the Jets ran 3-wide sets A LOT). As the #1 target of opposing CBs, will naturally be tougher for him.

Quincy now has requisite on-field experience. He had a 90.1% snap count rate, so he saw the field as much as a #1 WR does (mostly thanks to Decker's injury), and has developed into a better route runner and an even better blocker -- at the LOS and beyond. Major knocks come from drops and not converting attempts, but I think Fitz and Petty share some of that blame. 

Opportunity is there. He's risky as a WR2, but I think he has that upside this year (with a lot of downside risk given overall the Jets are going to be terrible) simply because of his new role in the offense. Will be interested in seeing how Morton changes the offense from being so dependent on 3-wide sets. This could help or hamper Quincy as well.
Agree with all this but I still am very skeptical about forecasting him as a top 24 receiver.  36 sure, so a wr3 in 12 team leagues.  Most of his value will be pure volume and he's not likely to score many TD, so a ppr special type. 

Stewart and Leggett might step up, and Jalin marshall flashed a bit last year so maybe they can keep teams honest.

Fwiw, Enunwa is my 5th receiver (assuming Decker plays) in a 16 team ppr, so I'm hopeful but I am not expecting much.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a lot more interested in Robby Anderson
Maybe. 

Robby needs to turn it around," Marshall told reporters over the weekend at his youth football camp in New Jersey. "I say that out of love. He's my younger brother."

He wasn't referring to Anderson's recent brush with the law. On May 8, he was arrested at a music festival in Miami and charged with resisting a police officer with violence -- a felony. An arraignment hearing will be held at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, just about the time the Jets will be taking the field for their eighth OTA practice.

:oldunsure:

Stewart and Hansen could be interesting. 

I like Enunwa for 16 games of garbage time targets.  Surely he's good for more than the 857 yards and 4 TD's he reeled in last year.  Keeping an eye on ArDarius Stewart, to see how the no. 2 shakes out.  They drafted him in the third round, I think they will looking to him to produce and validate the pick, not undrafted charged with a felony for resisting arrest last month thug Robby Anderson...

I feel like Terrelle Pryor numbers from last year aren't out of the realm of possibility for Enunwa. He has prototypical size and speed. His numbers were ok last year and people are quick to point to him getiing #2 coverage because of Marshall but I see that being made up for by the fact that A. Marshall was god awful for much of the year, like disrespect him to his face awful, and B. He had a tremendous amount of uncatchable passes thrown his way.

II'm not drafting him as a WR2 by any means but he has a chance to be that for a fraction of the price

The Jets seem like they are not really trying to compete in 2017 and that this season they will likely be behind a lot in the score and thus more passing in chase situations.

This isn't all that different than last year however when they went 5-11 and as STC mentions above Quincy had 83.7% of the offensive snaps last season with Decker out, so while he may be the Jets WR one, his playing time can't increase that much from what it was last year.

The biggest question is what kind of QB play he will get. It won't be FItzpatrick so that will be different.

Enunwa's efficiency stats thus far 53% catch rate 7.8 yards per target. Could improve or decline depending on the difference in QB play.

They have a new OC also, who might use the receivers in different ways than previous coaching staff. I don't follow the Jets closely enough to have any ideas about this, maybe someone else could talk about this.

He had 105 targets last season. I could see that increasing to 120 targets in 2017. I would need some good reasons to think his targets might increase more than that.

If his efficiency stats stayed the same at 120 targets he would get 64 receptions  931 yards. His career TD rate is .027 per target so at 120 targets that would be 3.2 TD

I think Stewart has to be looked at with the most potential of the bunch.  I think QE will put up some WR3 numbers due to volume.  Stewart might be in that WR3/4 range as well for the same reason.  Overall its a good learning experience for a rookie.

Enunwa's efficiency stats thus far 53% catch rate 7.8 yards per target. Could improve or decline depending on the difference in QB play.

They have a new OC also, who might use the receivers in different ways than previous coaching staff. I don't follow the Jets closely enough to have any ideas about this, maybe someone else could talk about this.

He had 105 targets last season. I could see that increasing to 120 targets in 2017. I would need some good reasons to think his targets might increase more than that.

If his efficiency stats stayed the same at 120 targets he would get 64 receptions  931 yards. His career TD rate is .027 per target so at 120 targets that would be 3.2 TD
I think your numbers are generally right in line with the exception of TDs. Enunwa got 4 last season even with Marshall in the mix, and who else is going to catch the 16-18 TDs that even the most garbage NFL pass offenses typically produce?

If he gets 6 TDs with your line above that'd be good for 193 points in PPR, which would put him around WR30-32 with some marginal upside if the Jets aren't the total tire fire people expect. At his likely draft-day price of ~WR45 I'm getting a little bit of the 2016 Rishard Matthews vibe here.

The TD I posted are based off of him having 151 career targets and 4 TD thus far.

TD are difficult to predict, but I wouldn't assume he scores more TD just because someone needs to score them.

I think your numbers are generally right in line with the exception of TDs. Enunwa got 4 last season even with Marshall in the mix, and who else is going to catch the 16-18 TDs that even the most garbage NFL pass offenses typically produce?

If he gets 6 TDs with your line above that'd be good for 193 points in PPR, which would put him around WR30-32 with some marginal upside if the Jets aren't the total tire fire people expect. At his likely draft-day price of ~WR45 I'm getting a little bit of the 2016 Rishard Matthews vibe here.
I'll take the under.   It wouldn't be a complete shock if they tied the Chiefs mark for ineffectiveness through the air. 

The Jets seem like they are not really trying to compete in 2017 and that this season they will likely be behind a lot in the score and thus more passing in chase situations.

This isn't all that different than last year however when they went 5-11 and as STC mentions above Quincy had 83.7% of the offensive snaps last season with Decker out, so while he may be the Jets WR one, his playing time can't increase that much from what it was last year.

The biggest question is what kind of QB play he will get. It won't be FItzpatrick so that will be different.

This projection would give him 1 TD for every 291 receiving yards, which is a much worse TD rate than what most WRs do over the course of their careers. A typical WR has something like 1 TD for every 170 receiving yards, which would project to 5-6 TDs for Enunwa. 1 TD for every 291 receiving yards is the sort of rate that you pretty much only see from slot receivers who tend to come off the field in the red zone, like Jason Avant, Antwaan Randle El, and Davone Bess.

-- being a big, reliable target, more of a posession receiver than a speedster --
He actually has very good speed (on one TD run he was clocked with one of the fastest MPH times last season). I do agree he will find it more difficult to succeed being the focus of opposing defenses instead of benefitting from the coverage on Marshall and Decker which gave him some open looks in the middle of the field, but he has the size and speed to pull off being a WR1 (not for fantasy) if he gains some experience.

This projection would give him 1 TD for every 291 receiving yards, which is a much worse TD rate than what most WRs do over the course of their careers. A typical WR has something like 1 TD for every 170 receiving yards, which would project to 5-6 TDs for Enunwa. 1 TD for every 291 receiving yards is the sort of rate that you pretty much only see from slot receivers who tend to come off the field in the red zone, like Jason Avant, Antwaan Randle El, and Davone Bess.
Well then why didn't he score any TD in 2015? 

He started in 6 games in 2015 and played on 521 offensive snaps 46 targets 22 receptions 315 yards 0 TD. According to this yardage he should have scored 1.85 TD in 2015 yet he scored zero. Ryan Fitzpatrick threw for 31 TD that season.

Using the same method for 2016 857 yards he should have scored 5.04 TDs but he only scored 4 TD.

Certainly doesn't seem impossible to me that he scores 6 TD. I would just like to have some reason why this would increase. His performance thus far has been at a lower rate that that.

He actually has very good speed (on one TD run he was clocked with one of the fastest MPH times last season). I do agree he will find it more difficult to succeed being the focus of opposing defenses instead of benefitting from the coverage on Marshall and Decker which gave him some open looks in the middle of the field, but he has the size and speed to pull off being a WR1 (not for fantasy) if he gains some experience.
You may be right, I don't know -- all WRs need to have some degree of speed, so don't know how his stacks up to the mean, but in terms of fastest MPH times, are you referring to the NextGen stats the NFL was rolling out last year? If so, not sure that's such a terrific measure, as it is such a small sample, having only really been charted last year.

Regardless, my point was more about his style of play then his actual 40 time (and even then, he is no Darrel Green, Bo Jackson, Bob Hayes, etc.) -- instead of being a guy whose game is more predicated on taking the top off the defense like Tyreek Hill or Ted Ginn, Enumwa is more of a possession-type receiver and getting open in soft spots in the D and using his hands (actually if you watch the tape, he uses his body to make catches as much as his hands) and athleticism to make plays. He has speed, but is not a burner type of player.

It will be interesting to see if he can develop into a true #1 WR, but agree with others that the Jets are going to be so much of dumpster fire this year that the environment doesn't lend itself to enabling a big leap forward in production. 

We'll see.

Well then why didn't he score any TD in 2015? 

He started in 6 games in 2015 and played on 521 offensive snaps 46 targets 22 receptions 315 yards 0 TD. According to this yardage he should have scored 1.85 TD in 2015 yet he scored zero. Ryan Fitzpatrick threw for 31 TD that season.

Using the same method for 2016 857 yards he should have scored 5.04 TDs but he only scored 4 TD.

Certainly doesn't seem impossible to me that he scores 6 TD. I would just like to have some reason why this would increase. His performance thus far has been at a lower rate that that.
TD rates tend to be a pretty noisy stat from year to year - look at Calvin Johnson's TDs by year, for example, or Adam Harstad's article on the topic. You should generally expect lots of regression to the mean.

With Enunwa, in 2015 I think they were using him as one of those between-the-20s slot receivers - only 1 of his 46 targets came in the red zone. So there was a clear reason for his lack of TDs that year, and it no longer applies.

In 2016 he scored 1.04 fewer TDs than you'd expect based on typical WR TD rates. So if just one play had gone differently then he would've been pretty much exactly at the average rate.

While that is interesting I don't really see the connection between yards and TD. Adam is only looking at 2015 data for the averages you cite. He mentions PFR as the historical database for his reference. I would suggest that a 3 year or 5 year average would be more compelling than only one season of data, but based on what I see in the article 2015 stats are the only consideration for those averages.

Snatching up Enunwa in all my ffpc leagues10-13th rounds 

I was able to take him with my last pick.  I don't think there is a bigger value out there right now

I agree, this was pre-injury.  If the injury turns out to be nothing then he continues to be excellent value
Non contact neck injuries? Yeah, thats not good in any way. Even if he is ok from this, I will be staying 10 feet away.

Also, he is a New York Jet with a messy QB situation, so that makes it worse. 

Add that up, he will not be any of my teams at any value. 

Non contact neck injuries? Yeah, thats not good in any way. Even if he is ok from this, I will be staying 10 feet away.

Also, he is a New York Jet with a messy QB situation, so that makes it worse. 

Add that up, he will not be any of my teams at any value. 
I got him in the 18th round.  No harm no foul either way.  If McNown starts he will throw for 3000 yards so he is going to make someone on that team fairly valuable

I got him in the 18th round.  No harm no foul either way.  If McNown starts he will throw for 3000 yards so he is going to make someone on that team fairly valuable
Yeah I'd still grab him as a late round flyer, I'll probably put a dollar bid on him in an ongoing auction. But I was hoping for a lot more value here. The neck is scary.

My redrafts dont go 18 rounds, so I guess thats a no foul selection in my eyes.

Why is it people you really targeting a Jet WR so hard in a high stakes league? Curious of the value you got on him to take him so much.
He was going in the WR 50-60 range...any player that can get 70 receptions in PPR leagues that late is value.  FFPC you can start as many as 4 WRs.

Users who are viewing this thread