What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tua Tagovailoa, MIA (1 Viewer)

The Miami offense is unbelievably dangerous. Is it worth backing him up with Mike White? I waited on QB and ended with Tua but am concerned about the injuries. I was impressed with White in NYJ and it seems like he could step in and provide decent production but I didn’t get a look at him this preseason.

Not sure white is even the number 2

Have seen nothing from Mike White so far this year that says he can step in for Tua and do the job.

Whole offense is built around Tua - the quick release RPO to Hill & Waddle.

White no different than last year’s backups - Bridgewater & Skylar. When Tua went down the offense changed to a much more conservative approach.

Edit to add: White is listed as their #2 but have no idea why other than the salary he was given.

The Miami offense is unbelievably dangerous. Is it worth backing him up with Mike White? I waited on QB and ended with Tua but am concerned about the injuries. I was impressed with White in NYJ and it seems like he could step in and provide decent production but I didn’t get a look at him this preseason.
Tua had several wow games in 2020 and some duds. A good defense, like NE this Sunday night, will help me to gauge if Tua and the MIA offense have improved. Mike White was outplayed in camp by Skylar. Skylar was very good in preseason, aside from 2 INTs in the first half of the last preseason game. White didn't play much in preseason due to a concusion, but his play wasn't that great. He's #2 because of the contract, but he hasn't impressed me.

Last edited:
Tua had several wow games in 2020 and some duds. A good defense, like NE this Sunday night, will help me to gauge if Tua and the MIA offense have improved. Mike White was outplayed in camp by Skylar. Skylar was very good in preseason, aside from 2 INTs in the first half of the last preseason game. White didn't play much in preseason due to a confusion, but his play wasn't that great. He's #2 because of the contract, but he hasn't impressed me.
Agree that Sunday night in NE will be a great test but weren’t the Chargers considered to have a good Defense?

Before getting knocked silly last year around mid season Tua was in the conversation for league MVP. if he goes down again there is no one on the roster than can remotely do what he does imo.

Tua Tagovailoa completed 23-of-26 attempts for 309 yards and four touchdowns in the Dolphins’ Week 3 win against the Broncos.

Miami’s surgical offense did whatever it wanted against an overmatched Denver defense, both through the air and on the ground. Tua could have had a far bigger statistical outing if Sean Payton’s team had put up a fight in this one. Two of Tua’s touchdown tosses came on shovel passes to De’Von Achane, who scored three times on the day. Hardly ever pressured and hitting his playmakers in stride on short routes, Tua is expertly running a hyper-efficient offensive machine in Miami. He’s a top-end fantasy option until proven otherwise. Tua and the Dolphins get the Bills in Week 4.
- Rotoworld
When you take a shower after 3 quarters and your team puts up 70 points you get a blurb.

Tua Tagovailoa completed 23-of-26 attempts for 309 yards and four touchdowns in the Dolphins’ Week 3 win against the Broncos.

Miami’s surgical offense did whatever it wanted against an overmatched Denver defense, both through the air and on the ground. Tua could have had a far bigger statistical outing if Sean Payton’s team had put up a fight in this one. Two of Tua’s touchdown tosses came on shovel passes to De’Von Achane, who scored three times on the day. Hardly ever pressured and hitting his playmakers in stride on short routes, Tua is expertly running a hyper-efficient offensive machine in Miami. He’s a top-end fantasy option until proven otherwise. Tua and the Dolphins get the Bills in Week 4.
- Rotoworld
When you take a shower after 3 quarters and your team puts up 70 points you get a blurb.
Lighting it up this season.

Elated as a dynasty owner. Bummed as a redraft owner. Drafting Josh Allen at cost while watching a rival drafting Tua at $2, only to have him light me up this week, doubly painful. Hope he stays healthy, as bittersweet as it is. Would be a dynasty boon.

Vegas favorite for MVP this season through the first three weeks. Surprised to not be seeing all the people from last season clamoring how it's only on the back of Hill and Waddle that he's performing well. Or hearing about his noodle arm.

Vegas favorite for MVP this season through the first three weeks. Surprised to not be seeing all the people from last season clamoring how it's only on the back of Hill and Waddle that he's performing well. Or hearing about his noodle arm.
Denver's Head Coach Sean Payton was on record last year saying Teddy Bridgewater might replace Tua
-That man is going to be paid between $17M-$20M per season for the next 5 years

Denver's Head Coach Sean Payton was on record last year saying Teddy Bridgewater might replace Tua
The Tua hate always amazed me. It felt like most people were just doing it because it felt trendy. Anyone watching his game could see what was there. People had to bend over backwards to find excuses for his positive play.

can't believe it. someone sent an offer for my stafford and carr for their tua in a superflex league. i hit accept and ran and checked this thread to see if he was injured. guess it's hard to find a qb in such a league as the dude only had tua. i have minshew and kyler on ir as backup with purdy as my other starting qb

The Tua hate always amazed me. It felt like most people were just doing it because it felt trendy. Anyone watching his game could see what was there. People had to bend over backwards to find excuses for his positive play.
A lot continue to spread misinformation to further entrench themselves and or discredit

A lot continue to spread misinformation to further entrench themselves and or discredit

Rich Eisen ofc says it more eloquently

Because he's a system Quarterback that can be exposed when the timing of the offense is off by just a little bit
He does not make plays on his own and when he has been forced to like the Philly game, he comes up short.
At Philly, he threw an ill advised throw that was intercepted by Philly when Miami was down 24-17, sealed the game

And Miami is getting ready to make him the richest QB in NFL history

This guy is really starting to piss me off.

Looking at his stats......He's like an every other week QB. Good score, bad score, good score, bad score,,,,,,,,

Yesterday 3 turnovers!

Has 2 great receivers and a great running game but is not putting up great fantasy points himself week to week.

What to do with this guy??

This guy is really starting to piss me off.

Looking at his stats......He's like an every other week QB. Good score, bad score, good score, bad score,,,,,,,,

Yesterday 3 turnovers!

Has 2 great receivers and a great running game but is not putting up great fantasy points himself week to week.

What to do with this guy??
Low floor high ceiling try to avoid dangerous pass rushes kind of guy. Good qb to have if your teams floor is really high otherwise I guess. It also didn’t help the jets posed no threat at all yesterday. No need to keep throwing

He's average at best. And like I said in the game thread yesterday, it's a joke people say he should be in the running for MVP. He does nothing against teams with remotely good defenses.

First off. I spent 10 years living in Hawaii. Never considered a local, it's complicated, but long enough to submerge in the community. Hawaii loves it's local athletes. Bishop museum in Honolulu has a section dedicated to local athletes who made impact in professional community. It's not a very big impact. Tua is one of the biggest and most beloved. They love him. I will always cheer for him.

Having said that. Last night he sure looked like an average NFL QB that is deeply connected to one wr for big plays. If he isn't flicking the ball down field to Tyreek he really struggles to move the ball. His reads are average. Arm strength is average. Pocket awareness is average. His ability to stumble, lose the ball and not get rid of the ball in big moments is clearly a problem. The good thing? Tyreek isn't going anywhere and McDaniel is a good offensive mind. He is gonna have ened of years stats with the best of them, but is he the guy? Is he worth 50 plus million a year? It hurts me, but I just don't think so. Put him on Carolina and he looks bad. All my opinion.

Yeah what a crappy game last week in what should have been a good one.

This week I have:

Tua vs #3 rank lowest fantasy points allowed for QB's vs the Jets
or
Stafford vs #32 ranked highest fantasy points allowed for QB vs Washington

Looks like I'm going with Stafford.

Yeah what a crappy game last week in what should have been a good one.

This week I have:

Tua vs #3 rank lowest fantasy points allowed for QB's vs the Jets
or
Stafford vs #32 ranked highest fantasy points allowed for QB vs Washington

Looks like I'm going with Stafford.
Easy choice IMO.

Tua managers: How are we feeling for the rest of the playoffs?

I'm the No. 1 seed in a 14-teamer. Best option on the WW is probably Browning. It feels super weird to consider using him over Tua this week, and yet ... we've seen pretty clearly that Tua doesn't put up great numbers in bad matchups. Only one you can point to is his 324/3/1 in the second NE game. But against Eagles, Bills, Jets (x2), Chiefs, other Pats game, he hasn't even cracked 250 yards or thrown for multiple TDs.

Hill likely returning, playing Tua with confidence expecting a bit of a track meet vs Dallas at home.
Yeah, the more I think about it, I can't start Browning with Chase out. Flacco's already gone (and I don't want to put my team's chances on Joe Freakin' Flacco). I think I start Tua, cross my fingers and hope for the best

I have Tua/Mullens/Stafford

Footballguys rankings has Mullens way higher than Tua and Stafford this week.
Am I missing something?

Mullens #6 (Expecting a shootout with Detroit?}
Tua #13
Stafford #17

Am I missing something?

Tua #13
Stafford #17
It's the old philosophical question of whether you prioritize the player or the matchup. I'm just not sure I can get there starting a replacement-level QB like Mullens over an established starter like Tua. But I totally get if someone is spooked enough by Tua's matchup (and his track record this year in bad matchups) to bench him

Am I missing something?

Tua #13
Stafford #17
That seems absurd to me and I bet it will change before Saturday. Tua didnt have to throw much on Sunday but when he did he was money against a very good defense - and without the best playmaker in the game in uniform. Dallas will not be shut down like that on offense, although I personally think the entire football community is sleeping on how good the Miami defense has become since Ramsey came back. Thats another story though and the reason I will be starting Tua over Dak despite every list I have seen disagreeing with me. I think the Dallas D is overrated, and some timely pick 6's have clouded the worldview on what they are without Diggs.

I am expecting a great game from Tua this weekend in a must win home game against a team that was just exposed. They will outcoach and outclass them and Tua owners will be rewarded.

Am I missing something?

Tua #13
Stafford #17
That seems absurd to me and I bet it will change before Saturday. Tua didnt have to throw much on Sunday but when he did he was money against a very good defense - and without the best playmaker in the game in uniform. Dallas will not be shut down like that on offense, although I personally think the entire football community is sleeping on how good the Miami defense has become since Ramsey came back. Thats another story though and the reason I will be starting Tua over Dak despite every list I have seen disagreeing with me. I think the Dallas D is overrated, and some timely pick 6's have clouded the worldview on what they are without Diggs.

I am expecting a great game from Tua this weekend in a must win home game against a team that was just exposed. They will outcoach and outclass them and Tua owners will be rewarded.
Didn't MIami lose their starting center against the Titans though? How will that affect pass protection against a really good pass rush team like Dallas?

Am I missing something?

Tua #13
Stafford #17

Didn't MIami lose their starting center against the Titans though? How will that affect pass protection against a really good pass rush team like Dallas?
They did and it will definitely be an issue. They will be going from a top 5 center to a bottom 5 center. BUT...Robert Hunt should return at guard and most OL are dealing with some kind of issue at this point in the season. If Austin Jackson misses this game, it could be a red alert on Tua's blind side. He has been a revelation this season and he is hurt - no idea how badly.

For what its worth, they lost their center (Connor Williams) on the first or second drive of the game last week and were going against Quennin Williams and a really tough Jets interior DL. They were not great but were far from terrible in handling that adversity.

Am I missing something?

Tua #13
Stafford #17

They did and it will definitely be an issue. They will be going from a top 5 center to a bottom 5 center. BUT...Robert Hunt should return at guard and most OL are dealing with some kind of issue at this point in the season. If Austin Jackson misses this game, it could be a red alert on Tua's blind side. He has been a revelation this season and he is hurt - no idea how badly.

For what its worth, they lost their center (Connor Williams) on the first or second drive of the game last week and were going against Quennin Williams and a really tough Jets interior DL. They were not great but were far from terrible in handling that adversity.
The Cowboys are missing their best DT. They are pretty weak up the middle right now. They generate their pressure from the outside, so being weak at Center isn’t nearly as big of a liability as it would be at the OT position.

3rd highest value at QB in the NFL
$4M this year

Purdy was #1 of course in this category but Tua has made it easy to build the team around him this year, he didn't squeal about not getting extended like everyone else around him
He will be rewarded big time in the off season
No way he plays on a 5th year Rookie option IMHO

Am I missing something?

Tua #13
Stafford #17

That is a man’s take and I like it.

Under 20 points in the last 5 out of 7 games.
I keep going back to him knowing he has Tyreek and Waddle and could exploded but he doesn’t and just isn’t putting up the big numbers.
Frustrating fantasy football wise.

Under 20 points in the last 5 out of 7 games.
I keep going back to him knowing he has Tyreek and Waddle and could exploded but he doesn’t and just isn’t putting up the big numbers.
Frustrating fantasy football wise.
The running game has taken all the td"s this year. He'll probably be good value in next year's redrafts.

Users who are viewing this thread