What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tom Savage, 49ers (1 Viewer)

Unfortunately, history is not on their side. I don't see Savage as a starting NFL QB. Draft day steal most are not steals, they dropped for a reason, most often, very good reason.

The Texans QB of the future? There is no doubt that he will need some NFL coaching and seasoning for his development, but this is a pretty good landing spot IMHO.
He's better than Bortles. This will be end up being one of the most savvy moves in the draft.
I'm on board with this. More upside than Bortles. Arizona also screwed up royally taking a bum like Thomas when this guy was still available.
Savage has potential, but he's a one year wonder who has never completed more than 61% of his passes and has a career completion percentage of 57%. Bortles' is 66% and never completed less than 62%.
I thought I read that his WR crew wasn't doing him any favors this past year.

The Texans QB of the future? There is no doubt that he will need some NFL coaching and seasoning for his development, but this is a pretty good landing spot IMHO.
He's better than Bortles. This will be end up being one of the most savvy moves in the draft.
I'm on board with this. More upside than Bortles. Arizona also screwed up royally taking a bum like Thomas when this guy was still available.
Savage has potential
Yep. And when things get tough, Tom Savage gets going....

As in quits.

He's who every one thinks Bortles is

Tom Savage drafted by Houston Texans at No. 135By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

The Houston Texans have finally found another quarterback, deep into the fourth round of the NFL draft. And it's not Ryan Mallett.

The Texans used one of their compensatory picks to take Tom Savage out Pittsburgh with the No. 135 pick in the NFL Draft. Calling Savage "out of Pittsburgh" is oversimplifying things. He started at Rutgers, went to Arizona to join Rich Rodriguez and then wound up at Pittsburgh after another transfer.

His play was erratic no matter where he went, but Savage has a lot of fans in the coaching and scouting community for his big arm and traditional NFL skills. Greg Schiano, his former coach at Rutgers, believes that Savage has the skill set to be a star at the next level.

Every year, a player or two emerges out of nowhere to emerge as a pre-draft prospect that "rises up draft boards" to become a talking point. In Savage's case, it was a bunch of hot air. Sure, he was drafted ahead of guys like Zach Mettenberger and AJ McCarron. But ultimately Savage went where he was originally projected -- in the middle of Day 3. There was talk that some teams were looking at Savage at the top of Round 2.

This should quiet the rumors about Mallett, the New England Patriots backup quarterback, for a little while. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday there was mutual interest between the Texans and Patriots about a possible Mallett deal early in the draft, but the Texans depth chart now includes Savage, T.J. Yates, and Case Keenum behind presumptive starter Ryan Fitzpatrick in Houston.

We wouldn't consider the Mallett talk totally dead yet. But no matter what the Texans do at quarterback, they need their defense to carry them now.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" provides instant reaction to all the wild happenings in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft.

Savage has potential, but he's a one year wonder who has never completed more than 61% of his passes and has a career completion percentage of 57%. Bortles' is 66% and never completed less than 62%.
Bortles threw simple routs all game to get to 66%. Savage bounced around to get a chance to play for the right coach. I wouldn't put his career in the same context.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Texans selected Pittsburgh QB Tom Savage with the No. 135 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft.
Savage (6-foot-4 1/4, 228) was originally a four-star recruit to Rutgers, but lost his starting job to someone named Chas Dodd and transferred to Arizona. 'Cats coach Rich Rodriguez's spread-option offense didn't suit Savage, so he transferred yet again, finally landing on his feet at Pitt. He started one season for the Panthers, compiling a 21:9 TD-to-INT ratio and 61.2% completion rate. His career record was 17-11. Savage was a college underachiever, but possesses NFL-caliber arm strength and size, and pro evaluators are more concerned with traits than college stats. He's a 24-year-old project. Savage was awarded with plenty of buzz and ultimately landed in the fourth-round. He has a ways to go, but Bill O'Brien might be a believer.

Bortles threw simple routs all game to get to 66%.Savage bounced around to get a chance to play for the right coach. I wouldn't put his career in the same context.
I noticed that in his film. Ditto Carr. Lots of short stuff just like David Carr did. You gotta be able to put the ball down the field. With Fitzpatrick as the current starter, Savage will be making a few starts in 2014 so we will find out quickly if he can cut it.

Tom Savage's maturity impressed O'Brien

By Tania Ganguli | ESPN.com

HOUSTON -- The words Tom Savage used to describe himself when he transferred away from Rutgers weren't kind.

"I was just a young 19-year-old bitter kid who thought I was entitled to some things," Savage said.

But his journey through three different colleges and one alternate career forced him to grow up.

"I went to Rutgers as a high recruit, played early and kind of got sucked into the hype," Savage said. "I played well, but I think I became a little complacent with it and I think the best thing for me was to face adversity at a young age and to go through this whole journey because it humbles you and it makes you mature as a man."

He began at Rutgers in 2009, and was a freshman All-American. He played four games his sophomore year before losing his job during an injury. That taught him another lesson:

"I'll never get hurt," Savage said. "The only way I'm coming out of that game is if my leg is hanging off. Because this a performance-based game and if you give someone else a chance to perform over you then they're going to take your job."

That is when the entitlement set in. Savage decided he needed to leave and find opportunity elsewhere. He hoped that would come at Arizona, but had to sit out the year because of NCAA guidelines. Then the coaching staff was fired midseason and Savage relocated again.

He wanted to return to Rutgers, but the NCAA blocked that move. So Pittsburgh was the final stop.

Before he returned to football, though, Savage dabbled in a different career.

"I was out of school for the spring and my dad wasn’t going to let me sit around, and I didn’t really have a school to go to, there were no real options," Savage said. "And I started doing construction work with my dad and it was tough. I know what I don’t want to do after football and that’s work construction, because it was brutal on me."

It all contributed to a maturation process that Houston Texans coach Bill O'Brien noticed when he visited with Savage during his pro day. O'Brien appreciated the maturity he saw in Savage when they had a chance to sit down and talk.

This is a pick who is an unfinished product. His accuracy wasn't great last season -- according to ESPN Stats and Info, Savage's off-target percentage of 24.7 was the highest among the top 10 FBS quarterback prospects. (Though he was also sacked 43 times last season, more than any other FBS quarterback.)

But he has another quality that is important for a rookie quarterback -- he knows he has a lot to learn and is eager to learn it. Too many young quarterbacks think they have all the answers.

"Obviously I have a lot to learn," Savage said. "I went 1,024 days without playing football. I played one year at Pitt and I learned a lot from coach Chryst there. But I think I have a lot to improve, and I'm excited to just get in there and start working."

Rotoworld:

Texans signed No. 135 overall pick QB Tom Savage to a four-year contract.
A two-time transfer, Savage was a one-year starter for Pitt, posting a 21:9 TD:INT ratio and 61.2 completion percentage across 389 throws last season. Savage has ideal size (6-foot-4, 228 pounds) to go along with a big arm, but is already 24. His draft position had everything to do with his measurables, and little to do with his college play. That being said, Savage could break camp as high as No. 2 on the depth chart, and has a shot at making starts in 2014.

Source: John McClain on Twitter

QB Notebook: Texans throw playbook at Tom SavageBy Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

Excerpt:

One last nugget from Texans country, where position coach George Godsey says "we're not holding much back from" Savage. We're putting him in difficult situations and if he does make a mistake, we slow it down on tape, slow it down in the meeting room, and then give him the same situation the next day. Tom's done a good job of trying to handle those things throughout the nine days of practice."

Savage "looks more like a starting NFL quarterback than the others," wrote Stephanie Stradley of the Chronicle. "Nice mechanics. The ball comes out like a rope, even in bad windy conditions. He can make all the throws, and has the strongest arm I've seen in a Texans camp."

We're sticking to the prediction Chris Wesseling made last month: Savage will make his first NFL start before the year is out.

Rotoworld:

Tom Savage - QB - Texans

Despite playing second behind Ryan Fitzpatrick in Friday's preseason game, coach Bill O'Brien confirmed rookie Tom Savage remains third string on the Texans' quarterback depth chart.

O'Brien said Savage had no idea he'd be thrown in with the second team, and he "wanted to see how Savage handled it." It's a classic Belichickian move, one that Bill used to pull with Matt Cassel and Brian Hoyer in New England. Through two preseason appearances, fourth-round rookie Savage has completed 6-of-8 passes for 22 yards with two sacks absorbed, and no TDs or INTs.

Source: Brian Smith on Twitter

Aug 17 - 3:57 PM

Rotoworld:

QB Tom Savage is not expected to play unless the Texans are eliminated from the playoffs.

With Ryan Mallett done for the season, we'd love to see the Texans give Savage a shot over limited veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick. It doesn't look like it's going to happen. The 5-6 Texans are two games out of first place in the AFC South with five games to go.

Related: Ryan Fitzpatrick

Source: Houston Chronicle
Nov 25 - 9:52 AM

Next year will be an open QB competition between Mallett and Savage. I would expect Fitz, goes elsewhere unless he is sighed fro more than this year.

I'm not a believer in Mallet, but he's not gonna be expensive, and I can't say for sure he won't be a good QB. Seems silly to not offer him a contract.

would Mallet even have a better chance to start somewhere else? Seems that would factor into any decision he'd make as well and help us bring him back

Rotoworld:

Tom Savage will have an MRI on his knee.

Savage, who was filling in for an injury Ryan Fitzpatrick, got hit low on the second to last play of Sunday's loss at Indy. If he can't play against the Ravens in Week 16, Thad Lewis will be forced to start.

Source: John McClain on Twitter

Dec 14 - 5:42 PM

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2014/12/tom-savage-already-knows-year-two-is-the-big-one/#29455101=Like Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tom Savage was hobbling Monday and relying on a crutch during the Texans locker cleanout at NRG Stadium.

But Savages brace had been removed and the rookie quarterback was already looking forward to Year Two.

This offseason is going to be the biggest jump, said Savage, a 2014 fourth-round pick. It is for any rookie. Im excited.

The Pittsburgh product didnt have a clear timetable for his rehab, joking that the cause of his injured knee featured big medical words hes not familiar with. But he added: Ill be ready.

A brace-less knee was a clear positive. And Savages brief taste of a starters life filling in for an injured Fitzpatrick for three quarters Week 15 at Indianapolis left him wanting more during his second go-around.

Just developing this year was huge, said Savage, who plans to remain in Houston during his rehab. I appreciate (coach Bill) OBrien and all those coaches allowing me to develop. Not many teams really keep three quarterbacks its a heavy number for a quarterback. I definitely appreciate that and Im just going to take that and keep working and get better and see where that heads.

Rotoworld:

Texans coach Bill O'Brien believes second-year QB Tom Savage has "made a lot of progress."

"It's not always pretty, just like with every player," O'Brien said. "(But) I will tell you that as a coaching staff, we're encouraged with how we've seen Tom progress." Savage was an inept disaster when briefly forced into action last season, but was always expected to be a project. There's no guarantee the Texans will decide to keep three quarterbacks — and by extension, Savage — but O'Brien's handpicked first quarterback should get one more year to prove himself on the practice field.

Source: Houston Chronicle
Jun 2 - 6:53 PM

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL

At Texans OTAs all eyes continue to be on starting QB competition between Mallett and Hoyer but Savage has impressed too.

Tom Savage is better with mental part of the offense. He's worked hard to learn and is throwing well, according to the coaches.

Brian Hoyer threw the ball more accurately than Ryan Mallett did today. So did Tom Savage.

Saw Savage play at Pitt for a few years--can't believe he will have any real impact in the NFL. Wholly unimpressive IMO.

Does anyone give him a chance? This year or next? We all knew he was a project but apparently he's been learning well and showing progress so possible starter in 2016? If he can pass Hoyer/Mallett and they don't draft a QB next year early then why not?

Can't believe this guy didnt even get a chance with those two geeks they've got. He's that bad?

Can't believe this guy didnt even get a chance with those two geeks they've got. He's that bad?
He was never fighting to start. He's fighting to prove he's got enough to draw a check as a competent NFL backup. That's how they're using him. If he gets axed, that's the role he'll be auditioning for elsewhere.

Rotoworld:

Tom Savage plans to compete for the starting quarterback job next season.

The job is pretty much up for grabs after Brian Hoyer's ghastly performance against Kansas City on Saturday. Savage was Houston's No. 3 QB behind Hoyer and Ryan Mallett before suffering a season-ending shoulder injury during the preseason. A fourth-round pick in 2014, Savage probably isn't the answer to Houston's quarterback conundrum. The Texans will likely address quarterback via the draft or free agency this offseason.

Source: Tania Ganguli on Twitter

Texans owner Bob McNair expects Tom Savage to compete with Brock Osweiler for the starting job.
"The challenge is what can we do with what we got," McNair said, all but ruling out a run at Tony Romo or Jimmy Garoppolo. The Texans are expected to stay in-house at quarterback. Savage struggled in two starts last year but will be given a chance to beat out Osweiler in training camp. The Texans should also target a quarterback early in the draft.

Related: Brock Osweiler

Source: Houston Chronicle 
Feb 1 - 5:07 PM

Coach Bill O'Brien said Tom Savage is "our starter," even after the Texans traded up to take Deshaun Watson at No. 12 overall.

Longtime beat writer John McClain also feels Watson won't be starting "anytime soon" due to the difficulty of O'Brien's system. "As a rookie quarterback it's a big jump," O’Brien said. "Tom is our starter and Deshaun will come in and he's going to work hard and we're going to teach him and feed him a lot of information and he'll work at it." Savage will likely open the summer atop the depth chart and possibly get the nod in Week 1, but his leash is going to be very short.

Source: ESPN.com 
Apr 28 - 10:23 AM

Users who are viewing this thread