What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Teddy Bridgewater, DET (1 Viewer)

PFF: Most Accurate Quarterback? Teddy Bridgewater

Matt Vensel of the Star Tribune noted that when analytics site Pro Football Focus reviewed the film and ruled out drops, purposeful throwaways and passes batted down at the line of scrimmage, Bridgewater’s accuracy percentage was 79.3, ahead of Cousins, Russell Wilson, Sam Bradford and Tom Brady.
All made sense until they ruled out passes batted down. How are those not a consequence, at least in part, of QB inaccuracy?

I also seem to recall this being a much more common occurance for TB than it ought to have been.
I can only recall a few instances of Bridgewater having passes batted down by a lineman over the course of the season. It certainly wasn't every game, I would be surprised if there were more than 5 of these all year.

What I heard Arif say in the most recent Norse Code podcast is that Bridgewater threw the ball away more than any other QB in 2015 and he also faced the most pressure per passing attempt than any other QB. Part of those pressures are his fault for holding the ball too long. The play calls are partly responsible for this as well.

However when you consider how a QB being pressured lowers all QB ability to complete passes by about 30% it makes it that much more remarkable how accurate Teddy was under the circumstances.

Maybe it was the QBR that gets reduced by 30 points not completion percentage. In any case QB under pressure accuracy goes down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Teddy seemed to stop throwing it away as often late in the season when Zimmer told him to be more aggressive. That should continue into next season. Early in the season he was throwing it away a lot especially in the redzone. Which I'm sure contributed to his low TD total. Of course many times he had no choice as the oline was horrendous all season.

I didn't think he had balls batted down at an abnormally high rate yet every time it happened the announcers would comment on it and point to his side arm delivery.

Actually if he is getting the ball batted down because he isn't chosing the right passing lane (or the OL isn't opening good ones) that is an accuracy issue. A QBs trajectory or velocity can also make it easier or harder for linemen to get to the ball.

It isn't all on the QB but it isnt independent of the QB either. Accuracy plays a factor in minimizing batted passes.
No, it really doesn't.

Biabreakable said:
PFF: Most Accurate Quarterback? Teddy Bridgewater

Matt Vensel of the Star Tribune noted that when analytics site Pro Football Focus reviewed the film and ruled out drops, purposeful throwaways and passes batted down at the line of scrimmage, Bridgewater’s accuracy percentage was 79.3, ahead of Cousins, Russell Wilson, Sam Bradford and Tom Brady.
All made sense until they ruled out passes batted down. How are those not a consequence, at least in part, of QB inaccuracy?

I also seem to recall this being a much more common occurance for TB than it ought to have been.
I can only recall a few instances of Bridgewater having passes batted down by a lineman over the course of the season. It certainly wasn't every game, I would be surprised if there were more than 5 of these all year.

What I heard Arif say in the most recent Norse Code podcast is that Bridgewater threw the ball away more than any other QB in 2015 and he also faced the most pressure per passing attempt than any other QB. Part of those pressures are his fault for holding the ball too long. The play calls are partly responsible for this as well.

However when you consider how a QB being pressured lowers all QB ability to complete passes by about 30% it makes it that much more remarkable how accurate Teddy was under the circumstances.

Maybe it was the QBR that gets reduced by 30 points not completion percentage. In any case QB under pressure accuracy goes down.
Really? I only got to see him a couple times late in the season/play-offs. I remember 3 or 4; noted the low release point and heard the commentators talk about the same thing. Maybe they weren't all "linemen" batting it down but they were near the line of scrimmage.

Really I do not think Bridgewater had over 1 tipped pass per game and I do not recall a game where he had three or four tipped passes in the same game but maybe there was. Which game are you referring to?

Here is an awesome charting information resource regarding Teddy Bridgewater.

This gives a complete break down of the reasons why Teddy did not complete a pass.

behind receiver 4 9
in front 8 15
over thrown 28 33
too short 7 13
too high 10 10
too low 2 4
out of bounds 4 5
thrown away 32 13
knock down at line 13 8
pass defended 13 36
grounding 0 1
QB was hit 7 6
receiver drop 20 32
receiver fell 0 1
miscommunication 3 7
spike 0 1
So according to this Teddy had 13 passes batted down at the line in 2015.

Yeah, no disrespect to Mr. Bridgewater, but he has a long way to go before he truly deserves to be in the pro bowl. But we all know the game is a joke anyway

Passes over 10 yards:PLAYER CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD IN RATE SK SCR YAC PCT TIME Teddy 63 130 48.5 1259 9.7 6 8 72.6 x x 225 17.9 2.97Opponents 81 182 44.5 1829 10.0 14 8 88.4 x x 399 21.8 2.90This seems to be his weakest spot - 72.6 QB rating on passes over 10 yards.

I think Teddy can be an effective NFL QB but his lack of deep accuracy and his odd throwing motion make me question whether he can ever be great.  We'll see. This is the year he needs to show improvement or it is time to move on.

I was about 90 passing attempts too high with my projections for Bridgewater last season. I still expect Teddy to throw over 500 times this season.

I live in Minneapolis. The local buzz is that the reason Teddy didn't play is because the coaching staff doesn't think Shaun Hill is good enough. They wanted to put him on display for as long as possible so that the media, fans, and ownership would agree and spend some coin on a legit backup. End of story. 

There is nothing seriously wrong with Teddy, if he has a sore shoulder who cares.

Joel Stave on the other hand has looked good against 3rd string bums.

I live in Minneapolis. The local buzz is that the reason Teddy didn't play is because the coaching staff doesn't think Shaun Hill is good enough. They wanted to put him on display for as long as possible so that the media, fans, and ownership would agree and spend some coin on a legit backup. End of story. 

There is nothing seriously wrong with Teddy, if he has a sore shoulder who cares.

Say what?

Ben GoesslingESPN Staff Writer 

The Vikings just called off practice after 25 minutes, when Teddy Bridgewater went down on a non-contact play. Trainers immediately rushed to Bridgewater's side, while players dropped to one knee in prayer.

The stars were starting to align too... thoughts and prayers to Teddy.

Even as a Packer fan, I was looking forward to seeing the Vikes O this year. 

Say what?
You rang, and of course I'm here in our Vikings time of need.  How can I be of assistance?

Ouch. That's a bummer. Not a Vikes fan really but was liking the look of this developing offense under Bridgewater.

Could this be a downer for AP as well? Will he still be able to shoulder the entire O?

Da Gildz said:
Here comes Kapernick.  
This makes sense. Kaepernick is similar to Teddy in terms of being a mobile QB. He knows the West Coast offense. He can run. I think we could win some games with Kaep. If we could get him for a third round pick or a fourth round pick, I would pull the trigger.

This makes sense. Kaepernick is similar to Teddy in terms of being a mobile QB. He knows the West Coast offense. He can run. I think we could win some games with Kaep. If we could get him for a third round pick or a fourth round pick, I would pull the trigger.
The latest blurb making the rounds is that Kaep may be blackballed because he's upset so many GM's.  I don't find anything about Spielman and/or Zimmer that would lead me to believe that they would be okay with Kaep.  I'd say that combo is probably among the top candidates of executive/coach combo that wouldn't ever deal with Kaep.

If they were cool with it, nobody is giving a 3rd or 4th round pick for Kaep, even if he didn't' have an albatross contract and controversy. 

Kaep and Teddy are honestly nothing alike. Not their playing style. 

Kaep and Teddy are honestly nothing alike. Not their playing style. 
Seriously, that is a terrible comparison.  Kaep is an athlete with a huge arm and no accuracy or smarts.  Teddy is a pocket passer with great accuracy and intelligence.

you know a players stock is low when you can't trade bridgewater for kapernick in a dynasty league.  

The current Browns front office appears to be more interested in draft picks and youth than most other teams. I don't see them trading their 2017 picks. 
That's the point. The Browns would rather take multiple mediocre draft picks than take the chance they could land a stud in the top five.

Seriously, that is a terrible comparison.  Kaep is an athlete with a huge arm and no accuracy or smarts.  Teddy is a pocket passer with great accuracy and intelligence.
Fair enough. I was wrong. But I meant that both of them are mobile and athletic.  I actually like Kaep more because I think we need someone to get the ball downfield and open up the running game more at the same time by doing so.

Users who are viewing this thread