What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Sam Darnold, MIN (1 Viewer)

Why do people think the NFL decision makers have a much more favorable opinion of him then NFL fans?
Just because there aren't a lot of better options doesn't mean he is anything more than a backup quality NFL QB.
Sure but not what I was asking.
My point was I am not so sure the NFL has that "much more favorable opinion of him then NFL fans". I think the NFL doesn't have many choices so he keeps getting chances.

Why do people think the NFL decision makers have a much more favorable opinion of him then NFL fans?
Just because there aren't a lot of better options doesn't mean he is anything more than a backup quality NFL QB.
Sure but not what I was asking.
My point was I am not so sure the NFL has that "much more favorable opinion of him then NFL fans". I think the NFL doesn't have many choices so he keeps getting chances.
I don't see it that way.

Carolina gives up a fairly significant amount for him, both in draft pick comp and salary.

I believe SF paid him about $6M, traded Lance and left themselves with nothing but Darnold behind a QB who had not played a ton but most of all was coming off a big injury. So not a huge commitment in Darnold in terms of compensation, more solid, but kind of a large belief in him with respect the role or potential role they placed him.

Denver and the Vikings were vying for his services, both teams with potential to not be able to draft a QB high, so both teams vying for his services with the idea he might be their starter. He ends up choosing the Vikings for $10m. So again, not massive I think only Minshew got more APY. Beat a proven solid backup like Jacoby Brisset by $2M. Optoins are not great but a lot of NFL fans love Fields. No interest. Vikings showed no reported interest in Wilson. I think its' fair to say at least Denver and Minny were targetting Darnold over all the other options.

Hard to convince me NFL decison makers don't like Darnold way more then fans.

I was discussing this guy in another thread and accidentally typo'd his last name. But upon relooking at the type I think it is completely fitting and believe it should be legally changed.

From now on I will only refer to this guy as "Darnlold"
I admit I am envious. If I put out a bad product, I'm no longer considered a good sauce maker.

Darnold has turned being bad at his job into an incredibly lucrative proposition. He's right up there with Angel Hernandez at failing up in his career.
Reminds me of Sam Bradford.
According to Spotrac, Bradford made $130,022,863 during his NFL career.

Must be a Sam thing.
Bradford was A LOT better than Darnold though. Bradford was a legit NFL starting QB (nowhere near worth the #1 overall pick though) for several years in the mid 2010s.

Maybe he's a great practice/locker room guy?

I don't think the NFL decision makers necessarily knows better than fans. They make terrible decisions that were obviously bad decisions at the time (not just with hindsight) constantly.

I don't see it that way.
So the QB's in comparison for you to show that NFL likes Darnlold a lot more than fans is that he was chosen over Lance (way over his head and terrible), Wilson (past his prime and basically zero upside or future), Brissett (I would say a guy equal to Darnlold but older), and Minshew (a journeyman backup placeholder)?

None of that screams that the NFL likes Darnlold much. He is just a guy that was available for not much cost. Sure, why not see if we can salvage at least something until we find someone that can actually do the job for us.

None of that screams the NFL likes him a lot.

I don't think the NFL decision makers necessarily knows better than fans. They make terrible decisions that were obviously bad decisions at the time (not just with hindsight) constantly.
They get it wrong a lot, we all do, just worse that it's their one job.

He just keeps getting some really prime second chances.

Just seriously asking if it's the youth/pedigree, still clinging to their pre-draft scouting, think they can fix him?

I'm still intrigued by him for those reasons myself, though I think the Jets years might have broke him. I'm sure the Vikings will draft a QB and he won't have a long runway, but I'm kind of hoping he gets at least a few games to see if he can show something. I'm not betting on it working on out, but I think it could.

I don't see it that way.
So the QB's in comparison for you to show that NFL likes Darnlold a lot more than fans is that he was chosen over Lance (way over his head and terrible), Wilson (past his prime and basically zero upside or future), Brissett (I would say a guy equal to Darnlold but older), and Minshew (a journeyman backup placeholder)?

None of that screams that the NFL likes Darnlold much. He is just a guy that was available for not much cost. Sure, why not see if we can salvage at least something until we find someone that can actually do the job for us.

None of that screams the NFL likes him a lot.
Does to me.

They get it wrong a lot, we all do, just worse that it's their one job.

He just keeps getting some really prime second chances.

Just seriously asking if it's the youth/pedigree, still clinging to their pre-draft scouting, think they can fix him?

I'm still intrigued by him for those reasons myself, though I think the Jets years might have broke him. I'm sure the Vikings will draft a QB and he won't have a long runway, but I'm kind of hoping he gets at least a few games to see if he can show something. I'm not betting on it working on out, but I think it could.
I think some of it is clinging to pre-draft scouting, because there's not NFL tape to suggest he deserves anything more than a clear backup role. I was being serious when I said he might just be a good locker room/practice guy. Personally, I think he was a boom/bust prospect to begin with. He was never really elite at USC, struggling with accuracy, and that problem has only gotten worse in the NFL.

His best year was that late 2022 stretch in Carolina, but he wasn't as good as his 92.6 passer rating suggested, as Carolina was running the ball as much as anyone in the NFL at the time, and mostly doing PA 1-side reads for Darnold. That's pretty unsustainable, and even in those circumstances, Darnold was completing just 58% of his passes.

My hope for Vikings fans, is that they end up with a QB that can start week 1, whether that involves a trade up, or taking Nix/Penix at #11, because I'm not certain Darnold is an upgrade from the guys they started after Cousins got hurt last year.

I think a good part of the intrigue with him right now is he was just coached by Shanahan for a year…not sure how much it will translate but I do think that is a big factor for those hoping he can be competent…if he had been a backup for a lot of other teams I bet Minny doesn’t target him.

this actually the 1st time Sammy will start for a good team, I'm pulling for him. Would love to see them build around him but we know their taking a QB
He started for the SB runner up 49ers.

He was god awful.

That’s not completely fair. SF rested a lot of starters that game. No McCafrrey. Very little Deebo/Aiyuk. Not ideal.
I think the overall point is, if Darnold is the Vikings starter, they are finishing in last place in the North. They are probably finishing last with a rookie as well, but at least there is some upside there.
I mean GB & Love / Det looks amazing and da Bears have an outstanding offense and are drafting a generational talent; Minny is in last place not matter what IMO but drafting QB 4/5 at pick 6 is a mistake to me. Now if they can trade back and get McCarthy would a different story, but I say let it ride this yr

Users who are viewing this thread