What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Patrick Mahomes II, KC (1 Viewer)

I think the frustration of not having a wide receiver he can count on is getting to him.
He has a stud TE and Rice has been really good. Yeah the other guys suck I get it but at what point does the finger not get pointed at him?
One stud won't get you very far. Listen to guys like Romo who know the game very well,they talk about the drops of course that KC leads the league in but also the terrible routes the receivers run. It's a constant theme in KC games.
Josh Allen has one stud

I bought the excuse of poor weapons earlier this year but Flacco, Zappe and other "lesser" QBs have had success with less.
Zappe? Really? What's he had,one good half?
Flacco has Cooper and Moore who are both better than any receiver on KC
We're not counting Kelce as a receiver now?
Kelce is a stud tight end. You won't get far with ONE good receiver.
The Chiefs have the worst receiver room in the NFL right now.
The Giants were believed to have the worst receiver room in the NFL,the Chiefs have TWO receivers The Giants didn't want.

I bought the excuse of poor weapons earlier this year but Flacco, Zappe and other "lesser" QBs have had success with less.
The Giants were believed to have the worst receiver room in the NFL,the Chiefs have TWO receivers The Giants didn't want.
I agree with your take with one exception:
The Patriots have a worse WR group. Rice has pro bowl talent, the Patriots have, quite literally, nothing there.

I agree with your take with one exception:
The Patriots have a worse WR group. Rice has pro bowl talent, the Patriots have, quite literally, nothing there.
And how is their season going so far?

KC will NOT address the weapons issue, remember, Andy Reid is in charge, his WR high draft draft pick failures are LEGENDARY. Rice is a decent WR for this team.
The dopey Reid traded Tyreek Hill nuff said on the weapons accusations.
Mahomes acting like a spoiled brat who just got his legos taken away is hilarious. lets see him go play multiple road playoff games to make it to the SB. problem for him is that he's had it too good, home field throughout the playoffs, shady ref calls going KCs way, etc.
this is what character is made out of, how you handle adversity. so far, he's off to a bad start acting like a brat on the sidelines. he's gotten so many calls his way it's ridiculous.
and one more thing - this eejit better learn to actually step out when he runs towards the sidelines - his little curtsie dance and hop back inside towards the numbers is literally going to get him killed on the field. last week someone nearly knocked his head off for doing it. happened again yesterday. one of these games someone is going to throw him down like what happened to Jim McMahon when someone slammed him down hard, injuring his shoulder and he never was the same guy.

Mahones' true colors are coming out... guy can't handle losing. That presser and his idea that the refs ruined the game by making the correct call is disrespectable.

This is what I'm talking about. Going to be interesting to see how he plays next week. Nagy and Reid doing him no favors either.

Yes now the goalposts have been moved again. Now he must go on the road to win it all with practice squad WRs or else he's what?

The haters have crawled out of the weeds en masse, LOL.

The guy had an outburst, and has apologized already, who cares. Brady had a laundry list of outbursts at refs, teammates and coaches. It happens.

Trade for Mahomes singlehanded ruined my season. Had great hits on the likes of Mostert, Montgomery, Pacheco as RB2 types. But went after Mahomes after the terrible starts of Dak and Trevor. Packaged Dak in the trade. Oof

I'm an NFL owner
I have pick 1 in complete league redraft
Patrick Mahomes without hesitation
Tantrum and all
Great night sleep

I almost wrote a haiku to express my love for Mahomes. Ha ha. I own zero shares. Dudes just unbelievably amazing at playing the qb position.
He was 1.01 in a 16-team SF dynasty startup for me.

I have no regrets.. the Chiefs will bring in talent at WR.

The deep ball is still there. Ain't nobody to catch it. It’s pretty glaringly obvious.

Better times ahead.

I have a slim chance to make the playoffs this week if the two team ahead of me lose and I win. Mahomes is far and away the reason I’m on the outside looking in. I don’t necessarily blame him but it is what it is. He has MASSIVELY underperformed his draft position. Week after week I get hammered by my opponents QB score versus Mahomes. So I’m considering Stamford over him this week. Can I really and finally bench Mahomes? I guess it comes down to what will hurt worse—leaving him in and losing again or playing Stanford and Mahomes finally has a great game and I lose with him on the bench….FML…

I have a slim chance to make the playoffs this week if the two team ahead of me lose and I win. Mahomes is far and away the reason I’m on the outside looking in. I don’t necessarily blame him but it is what it is. He has MASSIVELY underperformed his draft position. Week after week I get hammered by my opponents QB score versus Mahomes. So I’m considering Stamford over him this week. Can I really and finally bench Mahomes? I guess it comes down to what will hurt worse—leaving him in and losing again or playing Stanford and Mahomes finally has a great game and I lose with him on the bench….FML…
I would absolutely start Stafford vs WAS over Midhomes

So....how may Mahomes owners are going to bench him this weekend? And if so, for who?

I made the playoffs no thanks to Mahomes my 2nd round pick, and Jefferson, my 1st round pick.

That being said, I'm seriously considering benching Mahomes @ NE, for Love at home vs TB.

So....how may Mahomes owners are going to bench him this weekend? And if so, for who?

I made the playoffs no thanks to Mahomes my 2nd round pick, and Jefferson, my 1st round pick.

That being said, I'm seriously considering benching Mahomes @ NE, for Love at home vs TB.
No way, no how am I benching an angry Mahomes.

I would absolutely bench him if I had a viable option otherwise. I don't trust that offense despite PM2 being one of the greatest in the game today.

I missed the playoffs thanks to Jj and Mahomes

I think I'm actually at the point where I consider it a "ride or die with this guy" issue. He won me a dynasty championship last year in a six-point TD league, and I don't see anybody on my bench (they're weak QBs with good matchups) that I can see starting over him in Week 16, even if it is a much-improved Raiders defense he faces.

Serious question: Is he playing with a hidden injury we don't know about? Or is he distracted with something going on off-field? There isn't a whole lot of explanation for his dismal fantasy performance this year considering he won the SB with the same roster (sans a mediocre Juju). Just very frustrating with him all year, both fantasy and real life.

I've wanted to bench him multiple times, but couldn't pull the trigger. Also made the playoffs in spite of him. Now vacillating between starting him or Jared Goff. :sick::wall:

There isn't a whole lot of explanation for his dismal fantasy performance this year ...

Perception and reality are sometimes close, and sometimes not. I wonder how perception vs. reality shakes out for Mahomes.

Was checking a few things about Mahomes 2023 season just to groundtruth the idea that he's been dismal. This is scoring-system dependent, no doubt ... but right now Mahomes is sixth overall (fantasy points to date) among QBs in my money fantasy leagues. He's only 10 points behind Brock Purdy for fourth place, where Josh Allen, Hurts, and Prescott are a tier ahead.

Now, that said, Mahomes is 16th among QBs over the last three games in our leagues' scoring system.

Of course, it's legitimate to argue that when you spent the draft pick/auction bucks to obtain Mahomes, you were aiming to buy a sure-fire top-three QB, not a number-six guy in a mushy second tier with virtually-free guys like CJ Stroud and Sam Howell (who are neck-and-neck with Mahomes in YTD points in our leagues).

I also wonder about an under-wraps injury, hotlanta. This is the first year since he was a rookie that Mahomes hasn't rushed for a TD, though his carries and rushing yardage are right in line with his career average. And it seems like (some) QBs frequently hide injuries -- perhaps to avoid a given injury becoming even more of a target for opponents?

Do his passing statistics hint at anything (2022 game log) (2023 game log) injury-wise? Mahomes' completion percentage is almost identical to last year. His interceptions are also in line with last season (11 ints through 13 starts both 2022 and 2023). What has changed is (a) TDs -- 33 through 13 starts last year, 23 this year and (b) average yards per attempt -- 8.10 last year, 6.98 this year. Scant clues that he's perhaps having trouble with zip on the ball? Or not really much to see here in the stats?

One year (I think 2016), Drew Brees had a cold stretch of games early in the season. He righted the ship and started performing like usual after about a month or so. Only later on did we learn that he had suffered an oblique strain and the team never reported it (in fact, the local reporter that broke the oblique-injury story ... the team revoked his press credentials). Any chance at all Mahomes has something like that going on?

No doubt it's a down year for Mahomes, but this won't last. They'll correct things like the Pats did after giving Brady spare parts to pass to in 2006. Next year Moss came to town.

In terms of Stafford, I would start him over Mahomes this week.

I am in the same boat as you guys. Disappointed with the year but too scared to bench him because... he's Mahomes.

Weighing Mahomes at NE versus a red-hot Matthew Stafford hosting Washington. Really tempting to sit a stud here.
In the exact same boat. And I need to win this week and need two other teams to lose to get the last playoff spot. I’m largely in this position because of his underperfromance and the bad luck of my opponen’s QB going off every week.

it comes down to what can I live with more: playing Mahomes and losing or playing Stafford and losing.

There isn't a whole lot of explanation for his dismal fantasy performance this year ...

Perception and reality are sometimes close, and sometimes not. I wonder how perception vs. reality shakes out for Mahomes.

Was checking a few things about Mahomes 2023 season just to groundtruth the idea that he's been dismal. This is scoring-system dependent, no doubt ... but right now Mahomes is sixth overall (fantasy points to date) among QBs in my money fantasy leagues. He's only 10 points behind Brock Purdy for fourth place, where Josh Allen, Hurts, and Prescott are a tier ahead.

Now, that said, Mahomes is 16th among QBs over the last three games in our leagues' scoring system.

Of course, it's legitimate to argue that when you spent the draft pick/auction bucks to obtain Mahomes, you were aiming to buy a sure-fire top-three QB, not a number-six guy in a mushy second tier with virtually-free guys like CJ Stroud and Sam Howell (who are neck-and-neck with Mahomes in YTD points in our leagues).

I also wonder about an under-wraps injury, hotlanta. This is the first year since he was a rookie that Mahomes hasn't rushed for a TD, though his carries and rushing yardage are right in line with his career average. And it seems like (some) QBs frequently hide injuries -- perhaps to avoid a given injury becoming even more of a target for opponents?

Do his passing statistics hint at anything (2022 game log) (2023 game log) injury-wise? Mahomes' completion percentage is almost identical to last year. His interceptions are also in line with last season (11 ints through 13 starts both 2022 and 2023). What has changed is (a) TDs -- 33 through 13 starts last year, 23 this year and (b) average yards per attempt -- 8.10 last year, 6.98 this year. Scant clues that he's perhaps having trouble with zip on the ball? Or not really much to see here in the stats?

One year (I think 2016), Drew Brees had a cold stretch of games early in the season. He righted the ship and started performing like usual after about a month or so. Only later on did we learn that he had suffered an oblique strain and the team never reported it (in fact, the local reporter that broke the oblique-injury story ... the team revoked his press credentials). Any chance at all Mahomes has something like that going on?

Very thoughtful post and I agree with you. The numbers look similar except the TDs and YPA as you mentioned. I have also noticed a little less zip on the ball than he had in the past, even on the run. It's quite possible he has some shoulder thing going on that hasn't been reported. If you watched Quarterback on Netflix, you know that he keeps himself in tip top shape and has top notch trainers. So an injury is definitely plausible imo.

No doubt it's a down year for Mahomes, but this won't last. They'll correct things like the Pats did after giving Brady spare parts to pass to in 2006. Next year Moss came to town.

In terms of Stafford, I would start him over Mahomes this week.

I also said that they would correct things at some point throughout this season. But we have been saying that for 14 games now and nothing has gotten better. I know his WRs haven't done him any favors with all the drops and bonehead plays, but he's been able to overcome those even when he had Watkins, Pringle, and these other role players. This year just seems really strange and seems that something else is going on.

This year just seems really strange and seems that something else is going on.

I think it's actually his receivers and the requirements of the precision offense (plus Kelce looks like he hit the cliff, and that's enormous) that are taking its toll on the offense, but if we're speculating about injury, you might think about his ankle. The one he hurt last year and hurt again this year during a game. Once your base is off, so is everything else.

He's such a gamer he'd play through it, but it could be bothering him.

I still think it's that his pass catchers don't get separation, don't run the right routes, and drop balls that should be caught. Plus the league playing two high safeties sort of caught up with what the Chiefs want to do, which is explosive plays.

And Tyreek. Don't forget the utter freak now missing from the offense.

I think he's hurt too.

When he tries to go long he is really winding up his body to throw it. I don't ever recall him doing that in the past. He is also throwing a LOT of balls low this year - more than I can remember.

Just my opinion.

This is a non-story now. They won a freaking Super Bowl without him last year

I get that he wasn't essential to last year's team and that they won a Super Bowl without him. You won't catch me arguing facts. But the question seems to me to be whether or not the Chiefs would be having this problem if he was playing for them this year, and I think the answer is that they wouldn't be struggling quite so much.

This is a non-story now. They won a freaking Super Bowl without him last year

I get that he wasn't essential to last year's team and that they won a Super Bowl without him. You won't catch me arguing facts. But the question seems to me to be whether or not the Chiefs would be having this problem if he was playing for them this year, and I think the answer is that they wouldn't be struggling quite so much.
Their defense also wouldn't be as good.

That draft yielded a ton of the young talent on this defense. So sure - I would say it's not news that Tyreek in this offense looks a whole lot different. But Mahomes won an MVP without him AND a ring.

Letting Hill walk was a business decision and their D has vastly improved because of it. Issue has been not drafting or signing a proper WR since then. JuJu was an underrated safety net last season, and Kelce is now half of what he was. These things happen but needs correction in the off season.

Gonna have to point it out- His binky Kelse is now a security blankey for Swift. Attention is elsewhere and at the wind down of a career it makes a lot of sense. Kelse is planning for the future and not in the present. Having a less than attentive Kelse and no real other playmakers on the outside equals bad news for Mahomes. Kelsey has disappointed, no?

(plus Kelce looks like he hit the cliff, and that's enormous)

This is another thing that seems obvious without reflection -- I mean, the guy is 34 and has his attention divided from football a good bit.

At the same time, Kelce's 2023 stats don't really bear out a steep drop in performance. His counting stats are in line with his 2019 and 2021 "low-TD" seasons. Yards per target has been consistent over the past three seasons. His 2023 catch % is above his career average. The one stat that has changed for Kelce is yards per reception --he's lost a full yard off from last season (12.2 to 11.2) and over two yards from 2020 (13.5 to 11.2).

All that doesn't seem to match the eye test but the stats are what they are. The bad plays and lost opportunities really stand out, I guess.

Gonna have to point it out- His binky Kelse is now a security blankey for Swift. Attention is elsewhere and at the wind down of a career it makes a lot of sense. Kelse is planning for the future and not in the present. Having a less than attentive Kelse and no real other playmakers on the outside equals bad news for Mahomes. Kelsey has disappointed, no?
I am not sure Kelsee has regressed due to GF, injury or age; but something has happened to Kelsea for sure that is impacting his game.

Users who are viewing this thread