What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Mike Glennon, NYG (1 Viewer)

Interesting that in this draft rumor mill article, Glennon isn't even mentioned:

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php#bucs0417
There is an extraordinarily high chance they draft a QB in 3 weeks, unless it's all smoke. All the guys who are the most dialed in on the Bucs say one is coming in round 1 or 2.

They don't like Glennon at all. Probably because he's terrible.
Do you think there is any chance they trade him on draft day? I'd think they can get a 2nd round pick for him if they really do want to go with a different young QB.

Interesting that in this draft rumor mill article, Glennon isn't even mentioned:

If they take a QB at 7, which would be a mistake, then Glennon definitely needs to be traded. Sad if they don't give him a real shot.
I agree, and am afraid that they would let him go for cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if they traded him for a 5th rounder at this point. I think he would be worth at least a 3rd, but this is a much better draft than last year.

My guess on where he would land, Patriots. BB got to see him in preseason & off season joint workouts with the Bucs. I think Schiano may also be helping NE in some capacity (he was seen with BB at pro day). In the FBG article the guy he was compared to was Brady.

There is an extraordinarily high chance they draft a QB in 3 weeks, unless it's all smoke. All the guys who are the most dialed in on the Bucs say one is coming in round 1 or 2. They don't like Glennon at all. Probably because he's terrible.
Do you think there is any chance they trade him on draft day? I'd think they can get a 2nd round pick for him if they really do want to go with a different young QB.
Seems like that's the plan. It they could get a second for him I think they'd do cartwheels.

There is an extraordinarily high chance they draft a QB in 3 weeks, unless it's all smoke. All the guys who are the most dialed in on the Bucs say one is coming in round 1 or 2.They don't like Glennon at all. Probably because he's terrible.
Seems like that's the plan. It they could get a second for him I think they'd do cartwheels.
:lol:

I like him, and I'd trade him if they could get a second. I was thinking they'd be happy to have him replace their missing 4th if they hate him as much as Premier thinks they do.

There is an extraordinarily high chance they draft a QB in 3 weeks, unless it's all smoke. All the guys who are the most dialed in on the Bucs say one is coming in round 1 or 2.They don't like Glennon at all. Probably because he's terrible.
I agree. I think there is zero chance they get a second round pick, though. I'd think a 4th is probably the best they can do.

I agree. I think there is zero chance they get a second round pick, though. I'd think a 4th is probably the best they can do.
I'd think a 4th is the worst they can do. He was a 3rd round pick last year and the best rookie from last season. I get that this draft is deep and good but QBs are still in demand.

Is Mike Glennon on the Buccaneers' trading block?

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Mike Glennon is the latest reminder that change happens quickly in the NFL; a young player's future is too often left to the whims of shifting regimes.

As recently as late November, Greg Schiano broke out the anointing oil, assuring reporters that he would "love" to have his white-hot QB "for a long time." Glennon topped our Making the Leap list in Week 13 while becoming the first rookie in NFL history to throw at least one touchdown pass in his first eight games.

As Glennon was collecting the Offensive Rookie of the Year award, NFL Films senior producer Greg Cosell touted the 2013 third-round draft pick as "far more advanced" than Robert Griffin III.

Five games and four months later, new coach Lovie Smith essentially installed journeyman Josh McCown as his starter, leaving Glennon to twist in the wind.

Smith has acknowledged the Bucs will also consider a quarterback with the No. 7 overall pick in next month's draft, with Texas A&M star Johnny Manziel on the short list of candidates.

As we pointed out on Friday's edition of the "Around The League Podcast," Glennon will immediately hit the trade block if the Buccaneers pull the trigger on Johnny Football.

Where might Glennon land in that scenario? Here is our list of possible trade partners:

» Tennessee Titans: Coach Ken Whisenhunt has worked with pure pocket passers such as Ben Roethlisberger, Kurt Warner and Philip Rivers. He's been doing his due diligence on prospects leading up to the draft, suggesting a young quarterback is on the radar. The most obvious connection, though, is new quarterbacks coach John McNulty, who tutored Glennon in Tampa last season.

» Arizona Cardinals: Similar to Whisenhunt, Arians has always preferred big, strong-armed quarterbacks for his vertical offense. Glennon conducted a private workout for the Cardinals last season, and NFL Media columnist Michael Silver confirmed the team's interest in the former NC State star as Carson Palmer's eventual successor. We're not buying Arians' contention that Palmer will be under center for the next three or four years.

» New England Patriots: Schiano evaluated Glennon as the best quarterback in last year's draft. Perhaps he's shared that sentiment with football confidant Bill Belichick. Picking up Glennon for a mid-to-late-round draft pick would give the Patriots another option with Ryan Mallett due to hit free agency next offseason. It could also lead, in turn, to a Mallett trade.

» Chicago Bears: The Bears worked out Glennon last April, a sign that noted quarterback whisperer Marc Trestman's interest was piqued entering the draft. McCown's defection to Tampa has left Chicago with a glaring vacancy behind Jay Cutler.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" breaks down the draft with NFL Films' Greg Cosell.

Last edited by a moderator:

If they take a QB at 7, which would be a mistake, then Glennon definitely needs to be traded. Sad if they don't give him a real shot.
I agree, and am afraid that they would let him go for cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if they traded him for a 5th rounder at this point. I think he would be worth at least a 3rd, but this is a much better draft than last year.

My guess on where he would land, Patriots. BB got to see him in preseason & off season joint workouts with the Bucs. I think Schiano may also be helping NE in some capacity (he was seen with BB at pro day). In the FBG article the guy he was compared to was Brady.
I don't see any chance of this happening.

I don't think they would take a QB at 7 - makes no sense, especially considering the hole at WR2 and other areas.

I get that new regimes want their own guy, but this just seems like a plain bad move to me. QBs who can play in the NFL don't grow on trees, and Glennon proved last year that he can play. Why swap him out to gamble on another rookie QB and set the franchise back at least another year (maybe a lot more if the rookie busts)? I'd understand it more if there was a QB like Luck available in the draft, but all of the QBs this year have some fairly major question marks. Just seems like a really risky proposition to me to trade Glennon for likely peanuts to gamble on a rookie QB with question marks...

I hope the Bucs draft a QB early so we have another thread like this discussing where he'll be traded in 1-2 years.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Caplan believes Mike Glennon is "going to be as good as gone" in Tampa.
"It's obvious to me and people around the league that (the Bucs) are going to try to move him," Caplan said. New coach Lovie Smith has brought in Josh McCown to be his starter and the Bucs have repeatedly been connected to Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel ahead of next week's draft. As a third-round rookie last season, Glennon flashed some long-term appeal as he compiled 19 touchdowns, nine interceptions and an 83.9 passer rating. The Bucs would be losing value by dumping him for anything less than a third-round pick.

Source: Tampa Tribune

I don't know what they're doing down there. Glennon was very impressive for a rookie, so they bring in a 35 year old to take his snaps. And there are hints that they're drafting a QB as well. Personally, I'd let Glennon play and fill in their many other holes around him before dismissing him.

IF they could turn him into a second, then fine. If they drop him for a 4th or worse, then it is a bad decision. McCown is going to be exposed in that relatively weaponless offense, especially if they use their 1st on Manziel instead of a WR. I don't get it, this draft is WR strong and QB weak (relatively speaking), but they are going to trade their young QB, draft a QB, and pass on a WR? On paper, it just doesn't look good.

IF they could turn him into a second, then fine. If they drop him for a 4th or worse, then it is a bad decision. McCown is going to be exposed in that relatively weaponless offense, especially if they use their 1st on Manziel instead of a WR. I don't get it, this draft is WR strong and QB weak (relatively speaking), but they are going to trade their young QB, draft a QB, and pass on a WR? On paper, it just doesn't look good.
This draft is not QB weak. There may not be any super elite guys but there haven't been many drafts with this much qb depth.

Yeah, but I am talking super elite guys worth taking with the 7th overall pick. All of the top QBs have been talked about as having major drawbacks.

I don't know what they're doing down there. Glennon was very impressive for a rookie, so they bring in a 35 year old to take his snaps. And there are hints that they're drafting a QB as well. Personally, I'd let Glennon play and fill in their many other holes around him before dismissing him.
I don't quite get it either, but the new regime hasn't played a down yet so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I think how this situation turns out with Glennon will make or break the new leadership in TB.

I think how this situation turns out with Glennon will make or break the new leadership in TB.
Hardly. He's going to be shipped for a day 3 pick most likely. I can't think of any regimes that have rued the day they made a minor trade of a backup QB.

Hardly. He's going to be shipped for a day 3 pick most likely. I can't think of any regimes that have rued the day they made a minor trade of a backup QB.
How often have franchises given up on a fairly promising rookie QB this quickly? He has 13 starts under his belt. Size. Arm. Smarts. Work ethic. It's interesting how much the Bucs have been linked to Johnny Manziel. Glennon seems a lot more like a "Tedford QB" than Manziel does.

I would be fine with trading him for a 3rd or 4th if they drafted a QB with their 1st pick. WR is a need, but we don't necessarily need a #1 guy. This class is deep, so we could find a serviceable guy in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Excerpt from Peter King's MMQB:

I think I don’t understand the Bucs apparently being open to dumping quarterback Mike Glennon. This is a player with potential, and a sponge, who doesn’t have to have anything handed to him, and could be a part of the long-term solution at quarterback for the Bucs. To get, say, a fifth-round pick for Glennon is just not commensurate with what he delivered last season in a promising rookie year.

Let's say they take Manziel in the 1st and everyone knows Glennon is out the door -- does that drive down the price the Bucs can get? Or, do a couple of teams miss out on a QB and bid up his price?

Let's say they take Manziel in the 1st and everyone knows Glennon is out the door -- does that drive down the price the Bucs can get? Or, do a couple of teams miss out on a QB and bid up his price?
I don't think there is any way to predict. They could easily hold him and move him for a 2015 pick too.

I think it would drive his price down. Thanks to Mike Williams & Zuttah all the other teams already know the Bucs will take low offers for starting caliber players.

Quez said:
I think it would drive his price down. Thanks to Mike Williams & Zuttah all the other teams already know the Bucs will take low offers for starting caliber players.
Zuttah is worse than Glennon.

Mike's off the field issues were his demise.

I don't know ...I though Glennon showed skills that could be turned into a decent QB........Not Flashy........Brad Johnson-ish.

Bucs open to shopping Mike Glennon for second-round pickBy Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

With the Tampa Bay Buccaneers long-rumored as a team on the prowl for a rookie quarterback, Mike Glennon could be on his way out of town.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday that if Tampa drafts a quarterback, the team is expected to shop Glennon if they can net a second-round pick in return for Josh McCown's backup.

While the Bucs told Glennon that he'll have the chance to compete with McCown this summer, the new regime has been comprehensively lukewarm in their support of last year's third-round selection.

If quarterback-needy teams miss out on the rookie of their choice, Glennon would offer clubs an intriguing combination of arm strength and on-field presence, leading NFL Films senior producer Greg Cosell to call him "far more advanced" than Robert Griffin III, saying "they shouldn't even be in the same discussion."

After we talked up Glennon as potential trade bait on last week's podcast, Chris Wesseling predicted the 6-foot-7 signal-caller would be wearing a new jersey by Sunday night, citing the Titans, Cardinals, Patriots and Bears as potential landing spots. All four make plenty of sense.

Three of those clubs house respected quarterback tutors, with Ken Whisenhunt in Tennessee, Bruce Arians in Arizona and Marc Trestman in Chicago. A committed coaching staff could do wonders for Glennon, who showed flashes of good anticipation and field vision last season.

With the rookie jitters out of the way and plenty to like about his game, Glennon's market looms as a juicy narrative heading into the draft.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" breaks down draft news and rumors and plays the popular prediction game, "Go Get My Lunch!"

I don't think that the Bucs will be able to secure a 2nd round pick, but a 3rd or 4th round pick should be feasible.

if Tampa drafts a quarterback, the team is expected to shop Glennon if they can net a second-round pick
What if they can't get a 2nd in the 24hours after they draft a QB in the 1st? Will they take a lower price?

if Tampa drafts a quarterback, the team is expected to shop Glennon if they can net a second-round pick
What if they can't get a 2nd in the 24hours after they draft a QB in the 1st? Will they take a lower price?
They'll have a trade set up pre-draft. It's not like they frantically come up with this idea after they take a guy at 7.

This organization has been playing QB musical chairs since its inception. Just find someone, develop them, and let them play for 10 years please. I don't care who it is.

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport believes the Bucs will deal Mike Glennon if they can get a second-round pick in return.
That's "if they draft a quarterback early." There's a lot of qualifiers here, but it's become abundantly clear the Bucs' new regime isn't high on the 2013 third-rounder. Although Glennon showed flashes of usefulness last season, it's a stretch to expect him to fetch a second-round pick. According to ESPN's Adam Caplan, there are "very mixed opinions" on Glennon around the league.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

This organization has been playing QB musical chairs since its inception. Just find someone, develop them, and let them play for 10 years please. I don't care who it is.
Unless Tedford is the next Gruden, and we can just rotate Pro Bowlers every few years.

I would be fine with trading him for a 3rd or 4th if they drafted a QB with their 1st pick. WR is a need, but we don't necessarily need a #1 guy. This class is deep, so we could find a serviceable guy in the 2nd or 3rd round.
I guess the question the masses are wondering is whether any of the young guys in this draft could theoretically step into Tampa and produce a 19:9 line or better in their first year as a starter (whether that is 2014. 2015, 2016)...because that is what you would be giving away for an equal draft pick at best and likely a 4th or worse in this years draft.

Rotoworld:

Former Bucs personnel man and new Dolphins GM Dennis Hickey reportedly advocated drafting Mike Glennon.
The Miami Herald is connecting the dots as they suggest a possible trade. Current backup Matt Moore is scheduled to count $5.5 million against the cap, while Glennon's 2014 cap number is just $705,000. The Bucs are reportedly seeking a second-round pick for Glennon, but they'll have to settle for less if they expect to get a deal done.

Related: Dolphins, Matt Moore

Source: Miami Herald

Rotoworld:

The Arizona Republic "guesses" the Cardinals would be interested in acquiring Bucs QB Mike Glennon if he were available for a fourth- or fifth-round pick.
"My guess is the Cardinals would seriously consider it," writes Kent Somers. "That's just a guess." Of course, this would all likely hinge on the Bucs selecting a quarterback in the first two or three rounds of this weekend's draft. Bucs GM Jason Licht worked for the Cardinals last season and remains close with Arizona GM Steve Keim. Glennon has a big arm, which is an attribute coach Bruce Arians likes in his quarterbacks. The Cardinals have just seven picks.

Related: Cardinals

Source: Arizona Republic

Rotoworld:

Coach Lovie Smith called Mike Glennon the Bucs' "quarterback of the future" after they passed on a quarterback Thursday evening.
The Bucs were widely connected to Johnny Manziel, but ended up going with his college teammate, WR Mike Evans. "You know how much I like Josh McCown as our starter," Smith said of his quarterback situation. "But I love Mike Glennon." That's just coachspeak, of course, but Glennon's Tampa future is much clearer after the media packed his bags before the draft. He should remain in town for at least 2014.

Source: Greg Auman on Twitter

Lovie Smith: Mike Glennon is Bucs' QB of the futureBy Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

Mike Glennon can put his suitcase back in the closet. The quarterback still appears to have a future with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Glennon was a popular subject of trade speculation as the 2014 NFL Draft approached and the possibility of the Bucs drafting a signal-caller seemed very real.

But the first round came and went on Thursday without a quarterback going to Tampa. After the Bucs grabbed wide receiver Mike Evans with the seventh-overall pick, Bucs coach Lovie Smith got behind Glennon.

"You know how much I like Josh McCown as our starter here, but I love Mike Glennon," Smith said, via ProFootballTalk. "Mike Glennon is our quarterback of the future here.

"Why would we want to add a third quarterback to the mix? We needed other positions and forget just a quarterback position -- yeah, we like it, but we thought this was the best available player for us. It was an easy decision for us."

It certainly doesn't sound like the Bucs plan to take a quarterback on Friday, either. Playing under a different regime, Glennon showed real promise as a rookie. Keeping him in the building makes a lot of sense for a team that shouldn't be too confident in Josh McCown.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" provides instant reaction to all the wild happenings in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft.

Users who are viewing this thread