What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Michael Vick, Steelers (3 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Michael Vick - QB - Jets

New Jets starter Michael Vick says he has "to play with some type of control."

After relieving Geno Smith against the Bills last week, Vick committed three turnovers in three quarters. "Last week, I got too greedy," he said Wednesday. "I was trying to play like a 24-year-old Mike Vick." We don't expect Vick to shed his turnover- or injury-prone label, but he does have some fantasy upside thanks to his still dominant legs. Ideally, streamers will use him in a Week 10 home game against the Steelers rather than at Arrowhead against the Chiefs Sunday. Note that while starting for the Eagles in the first four games of last season, Vick averaged 270.0 pass yards, 57.0 rush yards and 1.7 total touchdowns per game. He knows this Marty Mornhinweg offense well after their time together in Philly.

Source: ESPN New York

Oct 30 - 9:12 AM

Rotoworld:

Michael Vick - QB - Jets

Michael Vick had a 105.7 passer rating in his first start as a Jet.

Geno Smith had a rating over 100.0 just once in his 24 starts. It's not a stat we put a ton of stock in, but it shows how Vick went into a very difficult spot at Arrowhead and handled himself well. "I thought Mike did a nice job," coach Rex Ryan said afterward while naming Vick his Week 10 starter. Vick, armed with plus weapons (Percy Harvin, Eric Decker), a plus matchup (home vs. Pittsburgh) and still juicy legs (12 rushes, 87 yards last two weeks) will be a streaming option.

Source: ESPN New York

Nov 3 - 8:46 AM

Rotoworld:

Jets coach Rex Ryan clarified that he thinks Michael Vick (foot) is "going to be fine" for Sunday's game against Pittsburgh.

"He’s got a foot that keeps getting stepped on," said Ryan. "... I think he's going to be fine." Ryan said he's "really not concerned" about the foot. Vick has become an increasingly poor bet to last four quarters in a game, but he did play above average football in this past Sunday's loss to Kansas City, accounting for one touchdown, 214 all-purpose yards, and zero turnovers. He'll be a risky-but-fun two-QB-league play in Week 10 against the Ryan Shazier- and Troy Polamalu-less Steelers defense.

Source: Newark Star-Ledger
Nov 5 - 8:21 AM

Rotoworld:

According to the New York Daily News, Rex Ryan wants to start Michael Vick in Week 13 against the Dolphins.

Beat writer Manish Mehta couches his report by saying Ryan had to clear his previous decision to change quarterbacks previously with GM John Idzik and owner Woody Johnson. "Override this time is possible too," Mehta says. There's also the issue of Vick's calf, which isn't considered a serious issue but could give the front office an out if they want to see what Geno Smith has over the final five meaningless games. Although Vick was nothing short of atrocious on Monday night, we'd still prefer him to get the nod if we own Percy Harvin or Eric Decker.

Related: Geno Smith

Source: Manish Mehta on Twitter
Nov 25 - 9:29 AM

Rotoworld:

The New York Daily News reports the Jets plan to sign a veteran quarterback after Geno Smith broke his jaw on Tuesday.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport has hinted it could be Michael Vick. Vick is the best available of an otherwise sorry lot, including Matt Flynn, Brady Quinn and a host of other career No. 2/3s. Vick would not be in the mix to start in the Big Apple, instead backing up Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Related: Jets

Source: Manish Mehta on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Steelers signed QB Michael Vick to a one-year contract.

He'll back up Ben Roethlisberger after Bruce Gradkowski was sent to injured reserve. Now 35, Vick's transformational athleticism is long gone, and with it, his ability to be anything more than a mediocre backup. Vick completed just 52.9 percent of his 121 attempts for the Jets last season, and has a mere 10 total touchdowns over his past 17 appearances. The Steelers will hope he doesn't have to make starts behind the mostly-durable Roethlisberger.

Source: Ed Bouchette on Twitter

I like Bryant week 5 with Vick at the helm. He has no problem throwing a deep punt to Bryant.

Solid investment for a Brady owner or someone else that needs a short term play. He's going to be boom or bust against what looks like a lousy Baltimore secondary. Qbs have produced against them.

Long term I'd be worried to take him and plug him in every week.

But he was cheaper than a Tyrod or Carr or someone else if you are in a panic for a QB to plug in this week.

Not the VaTech QB you should be rostering.

But definitely cheap. He was untouched when we ran waivers last night.

Not the VaTech QB you should be rostering.

But definitely cheap. He was untouched when we ran waivers last night.
Somebody cant help but roster him. Hes pretty much free for a guy that has bye week/lost QB to injury. Its not really about him, its more the fact that he arguably will have the most fantasy relevant RB and 2 WR in football. Would you be running to pick him up if he was with the Jags and Bortles suddenly went down? Hell no, its the Aaron Rogers effect in reverse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solid investment for a Brady owner or someone else that needs a short term play. He's going to be boom or bust against what looks like a lousy Baltimore secondary. Qbs have produced against them.

Long term I'd be worried to take him and plug him in every week.

But he was cheaper than a Tyrod or Carr or someone else if you are in a panic for a QB to plug in this week.
This...wasn't willing to waste waivers on somebody, and he was cleared waivers. I'm using him for 1 week while Brady is out, then I'm done unless he's the 2nd coming...

I'm starting him tomorrow night in my 14 teamer out of desperation after trading Cam and not trusting Stafford at Seattle. But I would think Brady owners and most others would have better options for this week, no?

I think Vick can put up decent numbers and I plan on playing matchups with Vick/Stafford for the next few weeks hoping that will get me through until I can try to pick up Romo and hope Detroit gets their collective heads out of their butts.

But again, I think playing him this week is an act of desperation. Im hopeful it works out but not all that confident.

I'm starting him tomorrow night in my 14 teamer out of desperation after trading Cam and not trusting Stafford at Seattle. But I would think Brady owners and most others would have better options for this week, no?

I think Vick can put up decent numbers and I plan on playing matchups with Vick/Stafford for the next few weeks hoping that will get me through until I can try to pick up Romo and hope Detroit gets their collective heads out of their butts.

But again, I think playing him this week is an act of desperation. Im hopeful it works out but not all that confident.
I'm a Brady owner with Mariota as my back up. It's a dynasty league so screwed by the schedule. Now I need to decide between Vick and Alex Smith. Feeling like I'm going to go with Smith. Though I have Antonio Brown so maybe double points would help? Either way this highlights that I don't trust Vick at all. He looked terrible in NY and I question his desire to be out there at all. Big difference thinking you are going to hold the clipboard for Big Ben and actually starting...

I'm a Brady owner with Mariota as my back up. It's a dynasty league so screwed by the schedule. Now I need to decide between Vick and Alex Smith. Feeling like I'm going to go with Smith. Though I have Antonio Brown so maybe double points would help? Either way this highlights that I don't trust Vick at all. He looked terrible in NY and I question his desire to be out there at all. Big difference thinking you are going to hold the clipboard for Big Ben and actually starting...
I'd go with Vick. Smith didn't throw a TD to a WR all season last year. Or did he wind up with 1?

Was a Brady and Roth owner, currently a Brady and Flacco owner, debating on dropping Flacco picking up Vick for a 1 week spot start. Flacco looks juicy versus the steelers, but Vick looks good against the Ravens who have been getting torched, by everybody

I see the Ravens getting their first win, and Vick getting some good garbage time. This is going to be a tough call

Was a Brady and Roth owner, currently a Brady and Flacco owner, debating on dropping Flacco picking up Vick for a 1 week spot start. Flacco looks juicy versus the steelers, but Vick looks good against the Ravens who have been getting torched, by everybody

I see the Ravens getting their first win, and Vick getting some good garbage time. This is going to be a tough call
So you would be essentially trading Flacco for Vick, right? And if someone grabs Flacco off the WW after you drop him?

As a Ben owner, I wish the likes os Flacco, Smith, Carr or others named in this thread were available on my WW. I imagine that others in my situation are considering playing Vick this week due also to byes of your backup QBs. Uhhgg.

This 0-3 is uncharted territory for the Ravens and don't know how they will respond. But my gut says I wouldn't want to be Vick. He's got the talent around him, maybe more than he's ever had; but has he had enough time to pull this off prime time against a team backed in a corner?

This 0-3 is uncharted territory for the Ravens and don't know how they will respond. But my gut says I wouldn't want to be Vick. He's got the talent around him, maybe more than he's ever had; but has he had enough time to pull this off prime time against a team backed in a corner?
Yeah, that's part of what I'm concerned about with Vick this week. Still, does a desperate, aggressive defense lead to 50 yards or so of rusing IF Vick has good vision for running lanes? If so, he still needs to avoid turnovers to be productive. On the flip side, Bell can help pad his numbers.

In some leagues, it seems like more FF backup QBs are being rostered so far, leading to these tough choices....

As a Brady & Bradford owner........I chose to drop Bradford for Vick. Yeah it's a roll of the dice, but starting Bradford is just as risky IMO. Bradford has a great matchup on paper but he just hasn't done jack crap. With our scoring system, if Vick can have a somewhat decent game, he'll still do better than Bradford and he has a lot better weapons if he can get them the ball.

It's hard to compare Vick with the Jets and now with the Steelers. His offensive weapons are so much better now. I trust Haley will keep the game plan simple and play to Mike's strengths. I also think the D will put this team on it's back for whatever that's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread