What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Matt Ryan, IND (1 Viewer)

I think both these statement are true:

The Colts are going to be a better team with Ryan than Wentz.

The Colts are still like the 10th best team in the AFC, and several of the teams who finished behind them last season, have improved even more. 

I think both these statement are true:

The Colts are going to be a better team with Ryan than Wentz.

The Colts are still like the 10th best team in the AFC, and several of the teams who finished behind them last season, have improved even more. 
Agree a hunnert percent, but for a 3rd round pick, and 27 mill for two years, I think it's the right move. 

A bunch of teams got better, that doesn't mean the right move is to blow it up, and hope Andrew Luck is waiting for you in the draft. I mean, the Colts can't wait out Mahomes, Herbert, and Burrow's careers. 

I was thinking the price would be higher. 3rd rounder for Ryan is a much smarter move than setting themselves back two years like they did with Wentz. 

Agree a hunnert percent, but for a 3rd round pick, and 27 mill for two years, I think it's the right move. 

A bunch of teams got better, that doesn't mean the right move is to blow it up, and hope Andrew Luck is waiting for you in the draft. I mean, the Colts can't wait out Mahomes, Herbert, and Burrow's careers. 

I was thinking the price would be higher. 3rd rounder for Ryan is a much smarter move than setting themselves back two years like they did with Wentz. 
I still can’t get over the fact that they found a “greater fool” to take a chance on Wentz. I figured they were saddled with him for the duration.

Fascinating. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Ryan to the Colts is a huge benefit to Taylor.  For Ryan it is probably a down grade (fantasy wise).
I don’t see how it’s a downgrade for Ryan other than maybe offensive scheme.

He arguably has at least as good offensive weapons. No Pitts, but Pittman > Gage by a considerable amount. JT/Hines at least equal to CPat’s career year, TY Hilton has something left in the tank. Maybe they bring in a Julio.  And they do have some decent TEs. 

Better OL, better defense, less pressure. It seems like at least a lateral, and maybe an upgrade for Ryan. 

He arguably has at least as good offensive weapons. No Pitts, but Pittman > Gage by a considerable amount. JT/Hines at least equal to CPat’s career year, TY Hilton has something left in the tank. Maybe they bring in a Julio.  And they do have some decent TEs. 

Better OL, better defense, less pressure. It seems like at least a lateral, and maybe an upgrade for Ryan. 
A lot less volume.  I just don't think he will be the focal point (obviously) and it will hurt his overall fantasy production.  I think NFL wise he will be perfect for them and do just fine.  Fantasy wise I put him in the 15 range.  Not really startable in 1 QB leagues.  His name will get him drafted and he may have a few high TD games but yards will be down and he has the risk of going 165 yds 0 TD/1 Int type of games.  

I wouldn't have minded Mariota to the Colts because he is mobile.  Either way, I like Ryan because he doesn't play every play with his hair on fire like Wentz did.
I like Ryan to the colts for Indy but I really like MM to Atlanta. I clearly could be wrong but I think MM’s ceiling is still higher than Ryan’s but Ryan is more likely to keep Indy competitive. 

A lot less volume.  I just don't think he will be the focal point (obviously) and it will hurt his overall fantasy production.  I think NFL wise he will be perfect for them and do just fine.  Fantasy wise I put him in the 15 range.  Not really startable in 1 QB leagues.  His name will get him drafted and he may have a few high TD games but yards will be down and he has the risk of going 165 yds 0 TD/1 Int type of games.  
15’s probably fair. 

TY Hilton isn't currently on the team. 

My question, is it an upgrade from what Ryan had in 2020? He had Julio/Ridley then, and right now that's a lot better than he has in Indy. 

I will say 1 guy I love, and I said in another thread, I thought he was the best TE in FA, including better than any of the franchised guys, was Mo Alie-Cox. He's been underused these last few years. Assuming they don't do anything else at TE(and I'd be surprised if they did) I think he's a sneaky top-10 TE with Ryan.

Agreed, blowing it up would have been silly, I just think some people's expectations are a little much. The Colts could be a better team next year, while having a worse record in my opinion.

TY Hilton isn't currently on the team. 

My question, is it an upgrade from what Ryan had in 2020? He had Julio/Ridley then, and right now that's a lot better than he has in Indy. 

I will say 1 guy I love, and I said in another thread, I thought he was the best TE in FA, including better than any of the franchised guys, was Mo Alie-Cox. He's been underused these last few years. Assuming they don't do anything else at TE(and I'd be surprised if they did) I think he's a sneaky top-10 TE with Ryan.
I’m aware. Neither is Julio.

but I’ve read quite a few INDY people who believe he’ll be returning.

I like MAC too. And Granson looked good too last year. 

I thought the Falcons needed to blow this thing up after the 2019 season.  A 6-2 finish convinced Blank to give it one more go with Dan Quinn and Ryan.  Was a horrible decision.  One less than 3rd round pick than it took to acquire Carson Wentz is an organizational embarrassment.  That said, moving on from Ryan was long overdue.  The Falcons just really botched the end.

As for Ryan…we’ll see.  I think he’s turned into a guy that needs to have everything perfect for him to be good.  And he’s just not good in the red zone anymore.  In 3 of his last 7 seasons, he’s failed to throw for more than 21 TD’s despite playing a full compliment of games and having pretty good weapons at this disposal.

Ultimately, while it seems like a good move for the Colts…I don’t know how much it moves the needle.  They’ve gone from a team that missed the playoffs in Week 18 to a team that feels like an ‘eliminated in Round 1’ ceiling team.

The Athletic's Mike Sando reports an NFL executive said "age has caught up" with Matt Ryan. 

“I had him with a big decline last year," the league exec said. "Matt has had a phenomenal career, a great quarterback, but it wasn’t like he was super big athletic or had a super strong arm. I see the skills declining a little bit quicker for him as a result. I think they could be looking at another quarterback in a year, and if they don’t win, look out for Irsay.” The Colts in March acquired Ryan for the low price of a third-round draft pick after Carson Wentz's 2021 late-season meltdown that left the team out of the postseason. In a terrible Atlanta offense last season, Ryan posted the third lowest adjusted yards per attempt (6.8) of his career along with his second-worst touchdown rate (3.6 percent). Ryan finished the year 23rd in adjusted expected points added per drop back, behind Wentz. In Indianapolis, Ryan will be charged with taking care of the football and operating an offense centered around Jonathan Taylor and the run game. Any decline he's experienced might not matter if Ryan, 36, isn't asked to do a whole lot in 2022. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Apr 8, 2022, 11:16 AM ET

Wentz had 516 attempts last year to Ryan's 560. Thats not that significant a drop off. I think its more important that Ryan might have more TDs this year. He had his 2nd lowest TD total and TD % last year. Having a better offense around him will help considerably. 

So in Redraft would you trust him as QB1? If you went RB X2 or WRx2 then TE and He's still there in round 6-8 ish...drafting slot aside. I get your drafting QB late but could you trust this? He seems to me as a manager much like Rivers was.

So in Redraft would you trust him as QB1? If you went RB X2 or WRx2 then TE and He's still there in round 6-8 ish...drafting slot aside. I get your drafting QB late but could you trust this? He seems to me as a manager much like Rivers was.
I do not play n a lot of redraft league but by round six their are only about 5 QB's gone.

Last year J Herbert went round 7 and J Burrow round 8. M Ryan would be round 9 or 10.

I’m guessing his adp is in the 9th round at the absolute highest, most likely 10-12th round as like the qb 17.

And to answer your question, no. I wouldn’t personally. But late round is about scooping. Two years ago I drafted Ryan in the 8-9th? and picked up Herbert off waivers.

Colts owner Jim Irsay said Matt Ryan could be the Colts quarterback for four years. 

That would put Ryan at 40 years old if he makes it four years under center for Indianapolis. Irsay, a master of the overstatement, may have overstated Ryan's staying power with the Colts, but his comment could mean Ryan is more than a one-year rental, like Philip Rivers and Carson Wentz before him. The ineffectiveness of the Falcons offense in 2021 probably made Ryan look worse than he really is. He's certainly an upgrade over Wentz, and should generate better fantasy results for Michael Pittman, among others. 

SOURCE: Mike Chappell on Twitter 

Apr 30, 2022, 4:12 PM ET

Speaking at OTAs, Colts coach Frank Reich raved about new starting QB Matt Ryan: "Matt was unbelievable ... Really, A-Z, he did everything right. Just great leadership, great play."

“It’s unreal,” Reich said. “I mean, I forgot how much I love this, how much we need this. We got so much done. It’s amazing that you can play a season without doing this. So many details are covered.” The drumbeat out of Colts OTAs is one of Ryan being wildly successful in acclimating to his new team, and the praise was not limited to being from his head coach. The Athletic's Zac Keefer also adds in this story that "the majority" of Ryan's completions are targeting the middle of the field. 

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 19, 2022, 2:41 PM ET

Making a very-good first impression.

--------------------------------------------------

Joel A. Erickson@JoelAErickson

From the moment Matt Ryan got here, the Colts have been raving about his leadership abilities, and

@GreggDoyelStar

was out at Grand Park to get a first-hand glimpse

------------------------------------------------

Gregg Doyel@GreggDoyelStar

Colts teammates say new QB Matt Ryan is “mad charismatic,” with leadership skills that “give you chills.” It’s been two years since we've heard this about a Colts QB:

Anyone know if he is playing week 2 vs. Detroit? If not it would explain why the Lions are a road favorite.
You gamble on preseason football?

Reich said most starters would not play.

But, seriously gambling on preseason football?
No I don't gamble on preseason, but I pay attention to those who do. I was just trying to figure out why the Colts are dogs at home vs a 3 win team. Because Ryan would absolutely carve up the Lion defense if he was playing.

Quietly having a great career. I'm rooting for him to finally win a championship this year on possibly the best team he's had.

Matt Ryan completed 32-of-50 passes for 352 yards and a touchdown in the Colts 20-20 tie against the Texans in Week 1.

Ryan noticeably struggled to generate any downfield targets and had to get play-action to really attack the intermediate area with any consistency. He also fumbled two snaps and was fortunate that a few of his tight targets didn't get picked. The Texans defense did manage to put some heat on the older quarterback, but this felt a lot more like watching Philip Rivers' last year in Indianapolis than it did watching a career resurgence for the 37-year-old. Ryan draws the Jaguars in Week 2, which looks to put him on the QB1 borderline after they allowed Carson Wentz to go off in Week 1.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Matt Ryan completed 16-of-30 passes for 195 yards, zero touchdowns, and three interceptions in the Colts' 24-0, Week 2 loss to the Jaguars.

Missing top outside threats Michael Pittman and Alec Pierce, Ryan had one of the very worst starts of his career, tossing three interceptions and taking five sacks. Two of those quarterback takedowns came inside the Jags' 30 on the same fourth quarter drive. None of Ryan's turnovers were in the red zone, though two were inexcusable throws. The third was batted at the line of scrimmage. It's hard to grade Ryan too harshly considering his wideouts' absences, but it is the second week in a row he failed to make big plays or generate down-field production. He is moving slower than ever. Following a tie with the Texans and this horrid shutout loss, there doesn't seem to be much meat left on the bone. Ryan will pray Pittman is ready to return for next week's home date with the high-flying Chiefs. Ryan could be in for a punishing afternoon if the Chiefs get out to an early lead.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Matt Ryan completed 27-of-37 passes for 222 yards and two touchdowns in the Colts' 20-17, Week 3 win over the Chiefs.

Ryan was painful to watch for 99% of this one; the guy literally cannot move and has nothing left in his noodle arm. But Ryan was able to shotput a couple short touchdowns to rookie TE Jelani Woods, while the Chiefs' number of mistakes helped pave the way for the Colts' first win of the season. Ryan absorbed five sacks and lost a fumble. And Jonathan Taylor did nothing on the ground. Ryan has no fantasy value ahead of a Week 4 home date with the Titans.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Matt Ryan completed 26-of-41 passes for 251 yards, no touchdowns and two interceptions in the Colts' 12-9, Week 5 win over the Broncos.​

The best part about this game was that it eventually ended -- even if it took overtime to get there. Ryan and the Colts struggled throughout the duration of the Colts' Thursday night tilt with the Broncos, averaging 6.1 YPA while throwing two of the worst interceptions we may see also season. Ryan also fumbled twice, pushing his season total to 11. Outside of a veteran presence, Ryan doesn't appear to offer much to an NFL team at this point. Prone to mistakes and unable to push the ball downfield, he's also hard to trust in fantasy. The Colts play host to the Jaguars in Week 6.
Oct 7, 2022, 12:06 AM ET

The whole team is playing uninspired football and I put the blame on the coach. He looks lost, coaches with no emotion, Never won in week one, can’t get team up to play a mediocre team that knocked you out of the playoffs. Need I say more?
this is 100% right. Reich should not have been brought back as a HC. he sucks there's no way out of it. there's no reason for him to stay in Indy he has proven he cant be a head coach in this league. its almost like he doesnt care hes getting paid one way or another. I'd fire his butt midseason and wake up the team.
Matty Ice is not even a shell of his former self, he looks old, feeble, lost.

Matt Ryan completed 42-of-58 pass attempts for 385 yards and three touchdowns in the Colts 34-27 Week 6 win against the Jaguars.

After a lethargic start, Ryan and the Colts attacked the poor Jaguars secondary relentlessly over the final three quarters as Ryan set a single-game Colts record for completions. It was a nice way to come back from a nightmarish Week 5 performance against Denver. Ryan peppered Michael Pittman with 16 targets and dumped it off ten times to Deon Jackson before Jackson left in the fourth quarter with a quad issue. He absorbed a few big hits from Jacksonville defenders, most notably with 17 seconds remaining in the game when he hit Alec Pierce for a 28-yard game-winning score. Ryan has been more than usable in two of his past three games with the Colts having no choice but to run a pass-heavy offense. That will probably change when Jonathan Taylor (ankle) is back in the lineup. Ryan should be considered a high-floor QB2 in Week 7 against a porous Tennessee defense.

- NBCSportsEDGE

NBCSportsEDGE NFL: Waiver Wire Week 7: You Want Wan'Dale

The Colts deployed a hurry-up, pass-heavy attack against the Jaguars in Week 6. And here's the thing: It worked. Getting the ball out quickly -- Ryan averaged a season-low 2.37 seconds in the pocket on pass attempts -- the dusty old QB racked up 385 yards and three touchdowns in a comeback win against the down-bad Jags.

Ryan thrived on the quick-hitting attempts, totaling 271 yards and two touchdowns on throws with less than 2.5 seconds in the pocket, per Pro Football Focus. He completed 75 percent of his attempts with the drop-back-and-let-it-go approach. Maybe the Colts will stick with the quick throws even when Jonathan Taylor (ankle) re-enters the fold. Ryan has a superb Week 7 matchup against a Tennessee secondary allowing the fifth-highest EPA per dropback and the seventh-highest dropback success rate. Enemy quarterbacks have completed 67.5 percent of their passes against the Titans, the eighth-highest rate in the NFL.

Ryan is very much the top quarterback streaming option in Week 7.

Well my view of the Colts has done a 180. The offensive line finally looked elite last week against a tough front. Not only were they opening up running lanes (get ready JT), Ryan had ALL DAY to throw. We’ll see if it continues but it was a very good sign for everyone in this offense

Need him to use those weapons to threaten defenses so Taylor doesn’t get completely owned again. Maybe it takes time but Ryan had a great game- no doubt.

I only approve of this if it gets Taylor a lot more receptions and opens up the running lanes lol
I called up the Colts front offense and said that TampaMike19 from the internet says that the offense can only become pass-first if it involves getting Taylor more receptions. They informed me they are changing today's game plan and will submit them here for your approval. :thumbup:

Matt Ryan completed 33-of-44 passes for 243 yards, one touchdown, and two interceptions in the Colts' 19-10, Week 7 loss to the Titans.

The Colts tried to play fast and give Ryan easy throws, but that wasn't enough to sustain their drives. When Ryan did try and push the ball downfield, the results weren't pretty. On the Colts' third drive of the day, Tennessee safety Andrew Adams broke on a route early and stole Ryan's pass. Already heading in the right direction, Adams sprinted into the end zone for a pick-six. Ryan was intercepted a second time after he was hit while throwing the ball. Frank Reich appeared to figure out a formula for his quarterback when Ryan threw for 385 yards versus the Jags, but that came crashing down in Week 7. Facing the Commanders next week, Ryan will be a fantasy afterthought.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Colts | Indy benches Matt Ryan, turns to Sam Ehlinger Mon Oct 24, 01:53 PM

Indianapolis Colts QB Matt Ryan has been removed as the starting quarterback effective immediately, according to a source. Sam Ehlinger is expected to replace him as the starter for the remainder of the season and Nick Foles will remain the primary backup.

Users who are viewing this thread