What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Lamar Jackson, BAL (1 Viewer)

And when (briefly) healthy, he was hyper targeted & produced.
48 targets in 9 starts (5.3/game). 91 targets in 18 games played (5.3/game). 10, 8, 8, 8, 7, 6, 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 2, 1, 1
He’s every bit the talent they drafted in the 1st round
27th overall & fifth WR off the board (6th depending on how you view Pitts).
Your suggestion that his games played = reason to not be excited comes off as either willfully ignore or disingenuous - that was my point.
That is your interpretation. I put out the stats and said "Hooray?" To be clear: "Hooray?" does not = "Bad" "Hooray?" = "We have no idea what to expect from this guy." Any other interpretation is on you.

Ravens offensive coordinator Todd Monken said "there's not a throw [Lamar Jackson] can't make."

Monken said he's been impressed by Jackson's passing prowess during offseason workouts. That's a decidedly positive development as the Baltimore offense is primed to be more pass heavy in 2023 than it ever was under former OC Greg Roman. More passing volume should be excellent for the fantasy prospects of Mark Andrews and the team's pass catchers. Rotoworld's Zachary Krueger recently broke down Jackson's career passing numbers in the Ravens team preview.
SOURCE: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter
Jun 14, 2023 at 12:41 PM ET

When he went to Baltimore i dropped him from 1 to 2 or 3.

Then I learned about Monken, BAL fans talking about the passing game being more relevant (has to be or lamar will die) etc etc.

I thought to myself... Self, you don't think Lamar is a very good THROWING QB.... You think he's good at best. So which WR on that roster is going to benefit most from a guy like that? For me, it was Flowers in the short game.

And for some odd reason (and maybe I just talked myself into it) i think Lamar starts to improve as a passer
I think Lamar gets knocked as a passer simply because he is such a great runner. He gets dismissed for the same things Josh Allen gets praised for.

We'll find out more this season, but I am not sure what to expect from Monken and I still question the quality/depth of the WR corps. OBJ, Bateman & Zay all have great potential and big question marks. Would love if they made a play for Hopkins but that's just a pipe dream.
I think he's just never put up "good" numbers in the passing game.

If the offense is really more pass heavy under Monken--he should have a career year in passing yards.
I get it, I can't help but feel the same way at times. But Jackson puts up Josh Allen numbers. The difference is Allen throws the ball 240 more times per year (not a typo).

Everyone discounts Jackson's 2019 season because it feels so long ago. And that's fair but we accept Allen's 2020 season as a fact despite a big drop off over the past two years.

Allen may be better (may) but the margin between those two is very slim.
Jackson doesn't put up Josh Allen numbers in the passing game.

Allen has 3 straight seasons with 4,000 yards. Lamar has never had 4,000 yards. Lamar has never had 3,200 yards.

I agree with your point about the difference in passing attempts. Lamar hasn't had the volume. And maybe once he finally gets it, he will show he can match Josh Allen's numbers.

But right now, it's simply not fair to say he's putting up Josh Allen numbers in the passing game.
Curious, anyone know their per game averages? As we know, Lamar has missed some time
Allen attempts 9 more passes per game so the per game numbers would reflect that. Completion %, Y/A, TD%, INT% are slim margins between the two over their last 1,000+ passes. Lamar has slightly better comp % & y/a and Allen has slightly better TD% & INT%. I do believe Allen is a better passer thus far but the margin isn't as wide as people perceive.

If Lamar's three year averages hold true (this omits his 2019 MVP season) and he manages to stay healthy, which is a big if. At 600 pass attempts (Allen's average) he would finish the season with 4,380 yards, 32 TDs & 16 INTs.

Then I learned about Monken, BAL fans talking about the passing game being more relevant (has to be or lamar will die) etc etc.

I thought to myself... Self, you don't think Lamar is a very good THROWING QB.... You think he's good at best. So which WR on that roster is going to benefit most from a guy like that? For me, it was Flowers in the short game.

And for some odd reason (and maybe I just talked myself into it) i think Lamar starts to improve as a passer
I think Lamar gets knocked as a passer simply because he is such a great runner. He gets dismissed for the same things Josh Allen gets praised for.

We'll find out more this season, but I am not sure what to expect from Monken and I still question the quality/depth of the WR corps. OBJ, Bateman & Zay all have great potential and big question marks. Would love if they made a play for Hopkins but that's just a pipe dream.

If the offense is really more pass heavy under Monken--he should have a career year in passing yards.
I get it, I can't help but feel the same way at times. But Jackson puts up Josh Allen numbers. The difference is Allen throws the ball 240 more times per year (not a typo).

Everyone discounts Jackson's 2019 season because it feels so long ago. And that's fair but we accept Allen's 2020 season as a fact despite a big drop off over the past two years.

Allen has 3 straight seasons with 4,000 yards. Lamar has never had 4,000 yards. Lamar has never had 3,200 yards.

I agree with your point about the difference in passing attempts. Lamar hasn't had the volume. And maybe once he finally gets it, he will show he can match Josh Allen's numbers.

But right now, it's simply not fair to say he's putting up Josh Allen numbers in the passing game.
Curious, anyone know their per game averages? As we know, Lamar has missed some time
Allen attempts 9 more passes per game so the per game numbers would reflect that. Completion %, Y/A, TD%, INT% are slim margins between the two over their last 1,000+ passes. Lamar has slightly better comp % & y/a and Allen has slightly better TD% & INT%. I do believe Allen is a better passer thus far but the margin isn't as wide as people perceive.
I THINK that with the same number of attempts, Lamar can probably hit 4,000 yards.

But I also don't think saying completion percentage and y/a mean they're equal in passing ability.

Defenses gameplan based on what you do. Teams know the Bills throw it a ton. The defense adjusts for that. Allen sees more players in coverage.
Jackson's teams have all been run heavy. Defenses adjust for that.

If Jackson starts throwing it 40 times a game, he's going to see defenses drop more in coverage. Do his numbers hold up? We'll see.

I THINK that with the same number of attempts, Lamar can probably hit 4,000 yards.

But I also don't think saying completion percentage and y/a mean they're equal in passing ability.

Defenses gameplan based on what you do. Teams know the Bills throw it a ton. The defense adjusts for that. Allen sees more players in coverage.
Jackson's teams have all been run heavy. Defenses adjust for that.

If Jackson starts throwing it 40 times a game, he's going to see defenses drop more in coverage. Do his numbers hold up? We'll see.
Great point and I have no idea. Particularly with a relative unknowns commodity at offensive coordinator.

But let's not forget guys like Allen and, even moreso, Jackson are too adept as runners for defenses to consistently drop 6-7 (8) guys in coverage. Do that and they'll eat you up with chunk plays on the ground.

And it's about 36 att/g for Allen, 40 is guys like Brady ignoring the play call and calling an audible at the LoS. That's a difference of ~75 attempts on the season. We'll see where Lamar lands.

Earlier in the thread, I posted a lot of metrics for Allen and Jackson in 2022, focusing on rate metrics to try to mitigate for Jackson played fewer games.

IMO Allen is a much better passer, and that will bear out over the next several seasons.

There are durability questions about all of his playmakers except for Andrews.

However, if they can stay relatively intact, it's the best weapons he's ever had. Seriously lacking playmakers for a while now, throwing the ball to Devin Duvernay, and the 3rd TE.

Earlier in the thread, I posted a lot of metrics for Allen and Jackson in 2022, focusing on rate metrics to try to mitigate for Jackson played fewer games.

IMO Allen is a much better passer, and that will bear out over the next several seasons.
I remember that, not the details but the broad strokes. It was an excellent post and quite convincing. I can't/won't argue against it somewhat because I think you may be right.

It may, in fact, be too late for Jackson to develop into a top notch passer. There are too many variables to even consider and virtually all of them are irrelevant.

I will always wonder what he would look like today if Daboll had been his OC since day one. Daboll may not be Andy Reid but his early returns are interesting and telling. So is having Stefon Diggs as your #1 WR, who's arrival tracks well with Allen's production. But Lamar had a bunch of support across the board his first three (ish) seasons. Particularly on the offensive line. The last two, or so, not so much.

For me the biggest question mark about Lamar is his sack rate. Lamar gets sacked on 7.9% of his attempts over his last ~1,000 passes, Allen is at 4.6%. IMO it is by far the biggest distinction between the two players. Allen really improved that metric from year 3 on, Jackson has been consistently bad. It very likely has a lot to do with his inability to finish the past two seasons.

Jackson may be a player who's production is entirely dependent on the quality of his offensive line.

I find him to be, perhaps the most interesting storyline of this entire off-season.

There are durability questions about all of his playmakers except for Andrews.

However, if they can stay relatively intact, it's the best weapons he's ever had. Seriously lacking playmakers for a while now, throwing the ball to Devin Duvernay, and the 3rd TE.
I would say Zay isn't a durability question ATM. I love Andrews but the stat line of him starting 15 games last year is highly misleading. He was extremely hobbled for, what, five, six games?

But we're in the off-season and everything has reset so: here's to 17 from Jackson/OBJ/Lamar/Dobbins!

:suds:

Pat Thorman@Pat_Thorman
Ravens had the 2nd-slowest-paced offense during neutral situations since Lamar Jackson took over in 2018 - never ranking above 29th for a full season.
Evan Silva@evansilva
“It’s been clear that (Todd) Monken has prioritized playing at a faster pace, getting the backs involved in the passing game and executing in the red zone.” #Ravens

Baltimore Ravens
@Ravens
"The sky is the limit with this offense."

10 Questions: Will Lamar Jackson Thrive in Todd Monken's Offense?
... It's the start of a new offensive era for Baltimore, but Jackson remains the centerpiece...
...If Jackson changes more protections and adjusts more routes at the line of scrimmage, he'll also have more responsibility to get the Ravens into the right looks. Meanwhile, the Ravens haven't had all of their expected starters practicing together yet, and learning the offense is still a work in progress. Will the Ravens be in sync with the new offensive system by Week 1 and catch opponents off guard as they did in 2019? Or will there be growing pains that cost them early in the season?
It's a challenge that Jackson is looking forward to. He found his comfort level quickly when the Ravens changed offensive coordinators in 2019 and plans to do the same with Monken.
"G-Ro [Greg Roman]'s offense, it didn't take that long," Jackson said. "I believe 2019, that's when he got the OC job, and I feel like we went 14-2. The sky [is] the limit with this offense. We're going to see."

Go to the link for the full read.

Jeff Zrebiec
DeCosta on Lamar Jackson: Lamar’s attitude has been excellent this year. I think last year was a challenging year for a lot of reasons, obviously, just where he was with his contract. This year, his enthusiasm has been fantastic. He’s throwing the ball very, very well."

More DeCosta on Jackson: "He’s been able to build a great rapport with the WRs very, very quickly. He’s taking care of his body. He seems really into the offense – he's excited about it. He has an awesome relationship with his coaches, and he worked very hard this offseason."

I think I own Lamar in maybe 5% of my leagues, not heavily invested nor am I a Ravens fan...but just have a feeling he's going to explode this year. Maybe even finish #1. Granted, I believe Flowers is going to be legit out of the gate and I think Bateman is going to be a fantastic asset at his ADP.

I think I own Lamar in maybe 5% of my leagues, not heavily invested nor am I a Ravens fan...but just have a feeling he's going to explode this year. Maybe even finish #1. Granted, I believe Flowers is going to be legit out of the gate and I think Bateman is going to be a fantastic asset at his ADP.
I heavily targeted him in all of my redraft leagues.

I felt like no other QB offered more upside for the draft capital. Legit QB1-2 overall upside from the 4-5th round.

I landed him in my IDP redraft, and 2/4 of my NFFC leagues.

I hope you’re right!

Lamar Jackson completed 17-of-22 passes for 169 yards and one interception in the Ravens’ 25-9, Week 1 win over the Texans.

The debut of the Todd Monken offense wasn’t as explosive as we hoped for, but Jackson did connect on several nice passes throughout the day, which included a beautifully thrown deep ball to Odell Beckham Jr. late in the fourth quarter. The Ravens looked particularly sluggish in the first-half, but ramped things up in the second-half, scoring two touchdowns in the third quarter. Jackson managed just four rush attempts on the day, with at least half of them coming on scrambles to evade pressure. It wasn’t pretty, but it was a win, as the Ravens now prepare for a Week 2 matchup against the Bengals.

- Rotoworld

With Dobbins going down and the other RB's are so-so I really hope they let Lamar run a bit more, especially on those goal line situations.

With Dobbins going down and the other RB's are so-so I really hope they let Lamar run a bit more, especially on those goal line situations.
Run? No! Let him pass more. Lamar is an under rated passer. He has good receivers for a change. They get even better once Andres gets healthy.

It was my understanding that Lamar can't throw accurately.

• 2019:
    • First 2 games: 41/57 (71.9%)
    • Season: 265/401 (66.1%)
  • 2020:
    • First 2 games: 38/49 (77.6%)
    • Season: 242/376 (64.4%)
  • 2021:
    • First 2 games: 37/56 (66.1%)
    • Season: 246/382 (64.4%)
  • 2022:
    • First 2 games: 38/59 (64.4%)
    • Season: 203/326 (62.3%)
  • 2023:
    • First 2 games: 41/55 (74.5%)
    • Season: ?
It remains to be seen if this season will be different than 2019-2020 for his accuracy. He was very accurate in his first 2 games in those seasons but didn't maintain it.

Certainly, better WRs helps, as does a better OC, assuming it turns out that Monken is better.

Not loving the matchup in week 4 @CLE. That D looks legit.

Could be a long day especially if all these starters aren't back from injury.

Drafted LJ to avoid a weekly QB carousel, but I'm at least going to peek at WW options.

Drafted LJ to avoid a weekly QB carousel, but I'm at least going to peek at WW options.

Crickets.

A little concerned. His track record against CLE isn't the greatest and this D looks legit.

He's still too loose with the ball and this offense is far from clicking.

Not sure I have any other options. More importantly, I'm not sure I have the coconuts to sit him.

Crickets.

A little concerned. His track record against CLE isn't the greatest and this D looks legit.

Not sure I have any other options. More importantly, I'm not sure I have the coconuts to sit him.
It all depends on your options.

Crickets.

Not sexy, but:

* Jimmy G (if healthy) @LAC
* A. Dalton @MN

Both of those secondaries are horrendous.

I'm leaning towards starting him. I think what he has going for him that others who have faced this "legit" Cleveland D so far this year is his mobility. Hoping he gets 12-14 carries like the last 2 games. Plus not to discount how good the Browns defense has been, because yes they have been solid, it isn't like they have been facing great offenses running on all cylinders.

Burrow in week 1 after being injured, no preseason and the Bengals have struggled on offense all 3 weeks so far this year, Plus the weather was terrible
Pickett in week 2 with a terrible Matt Canada play calling
Tannehill in week 3 who is a shell of his former average self and can't move the ball if his life depended on it

Crickets.

Not sexy, but:

* A. Dalton @MN

Whatever. Even if both outperform Lamar this week it's still overthinking the situation IMO.

Crickets.

Not sexy, but:

* A. Dalton @MN

Whatever. Even if both outperform Lamar this week it's still overthinking the situation IMO.
Agreed. Sometime we overthink things and get cute. No way I roll Jimmy G or Dalton over Lamar. No matter the matchup. You drafted Lamar as your starting QB . You start him.

Crickets.

Not sexy, but:

* A. Dalton @MN

Agreed. Sometime we overthink things and get cute. No way I roll Jimmy G or Dalton over Lamar. No matter the matchup. You drafted Lamar as your starting QB . You start him.
What if you start him and but already have the Browns D? Do you start both?

Yeah idk right now I have Love in because the Cleveland D looks that good...but the point above about schedule makes sense too.

Crickets.

Not sexy, but:

* A. Dalton @MN

What if you start him and but already have the Browns D? Do you start both?
I usually don't think that way and just start the best regardless of matchup.

That said, I'm starting Jackson , have an opportunity to pick up J. Tucker, and I'm not interested. Thinking: Need TDs not FGs in a game that may not see a ton of points.

Crickets.

Not sexy, but:

* A. Dalton @MN

Thirded. I wonder how many people tried to get cute and bench Chase this past week because of his first two weeks of poor performances and the obviously hobbled Burrow. I know I was very close to being in that boat and remembered elite players are elite, regardless of matchups. Would have lost this week if he wasn't in my starting lineup. If you were deciding between Lamar or Goff/Cousins I could see it more. But considering the Red Rocket over him just feels.... bad.

Crickets.

Not sexy, but:

* A. Dalton @MN

Thirded. I wonder how many people tried to get cute and bench Chase this past week because of his first two weeks of poor performances and the obviously hobbled Burrow. I know I was very close to being in that boat and remembered elite players are elite, regardless of matchups. Would have lost this week if he wasn't in my starting lineup. If you were deciding between Lamar or Goff/Cousins I could see it more. But considering the Red Rocket over him just feels.... bad.
Agreed.

This time of the year where we are now just approaching the first quarter of the season is not the time to start following small trends of performance or applying match up information yet.

That time will come in another week or two, but for now your better off just sticking to your guns on these start/sit decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread