What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Lamar Jackson, BAL (1 Viewer)

How is the NFLPA not looking into collusion here? There is no way in hell that a 26 year old former MVP QB would get zero calls into a free agency period even with a tag.

I don't even think Lamar is that good of a QB, but there isn't enough of them to go around where he wouldn't get some calls.
Problem is, every team has a legitimate reason to not be interested. It’s surprising that none of the QB needy teams are kicking the tires, but not for any one of them.

Of course every team has a reason. 26 year year old MVPs don't become free agents if there isn't a flaw.

I don't think the flaw means no one should try to contact him. NFL teams have traded for and paid guys a ton of money that have done way worse things then Lamar.
totally agreed. Has Lamar done anything “bad”? I honestly don’t recall.

Collusion is so hard to prove, but I still think the NFLPA should be investigating it. Even though I don't think they will be able to prove anything.

Are all the RBs crying collusion because they aren’t first round picks or don’t get long term deals anymore?

You don’t have to collude to know it’s bad business to pay huge guaranteed money to a QB who relies on his legs as a big part of his production. While giving up two first round picks for the pleasure.

Everyone in here is assuming that no team has talked to Jackson since that has not been reported in the media.

Jackson has been pretty quiet throughout, and he doesn't have an agent who might advise him to "leak" such discussions to try to stir up more interest. And why would any such team announce it before they know they have a deal with (a) Jackson and (b) the Ravens? Look at the media fiasco the Jets and Packers find themsleves in right now.

I doubt a team is going to sign Jackson to an offer sheet, since the Ravens can match and it would become public knowledge that the other team lost out on its attempted QB solution. IMO it is more likely any team that wants him will work quietly to agree to a trade with Baltimore and agree to contract terms with Jackson, and there would be no announcement until both of those deals are done.

Can all of that get done without a leak from inside the Ravens or the other team (or the NFLPA)? Seems like a long shot, but it is at least possible.

Everyone in here is assuming that no team has talked to Jackson since that has not been reported in the media.

Jackson has been pretty quiet throughout, and he doesn't have an agent who might advise him to "leak" such discussions to try to stir up more interest. And why would any such team announce it before they know they have a deal with (a) Jackson and (b) the Ravens? Look at the media fiasco the Jets and Packers find themsleves in right now.

I doubt a team is going to sign Jackson to an offer sheet, since the Ravens can match and it would become public knowledge that the other team lost out on its attempted QB solution. IMO it is more likely any team that wants him will work quietly to agree to a trade with Baltimore and agree to contract terms with Jackson, and there would be no announcement until both of those deals are done.

Can all of that get done without a leak from inside the Ravens or the other team (or the NFLPA)? Seems like a long shot, but it is at least possible.

If anyone talked to Lamar we would already know about it. Not because he leaked, but someone would have. It was pretty weird the day the Ravens tagged him a bunch of teams magically leaked that they weren't interested. Teams don't leak when they aren't interested.

I do believe that many people are overestimating the value of 1st round draft picks.
Very few draft picks make it long term after about the 2nd-3rd Rd, there's exceptions but most of the starters come out of these early picks.
I understand what you are saying but the 1st Rd picks have a lot of value in terms of trading capital for teams.

Miami right now is limited in any more moves they can make because they have squandered so many of their draft picks already.

As you said, we don't know what we don't know. I don't believe any team has officially stated they are out on Lamar . . . all we heard were leaks from unnamed sources to beat reporters about what they had heard underneath the bleachers of the stadium. Maybe that was real, maybe that was subterfuge. Part of the issue in signing Jackson to an offer sheet is that becomes part of the public domain, meaning that the team that signed Lamar to an offer would effectively be telling their current QB that they are looking at moving on from him.

As you mentioned, I would guess that if there is a team that is interested in Jackson, that team most likely is engaging in private trade negotiations with the Ravens. Maybe the price tag would be more than two first round picks. Maybe it would be less. Maybe it would be a combination of players and picks (not just first rounders). Again, we don't really know if BAL is in love with Jackson of if they actively would prefer he played elsewhere. Maybe they half-hardheartedly have been making him offers on the low side to make it look good that they have been doing everything they can (when they may be ambivalent about bringing him back).

As far as teams moving #1 picks if they signed him to an offer sheet (and BAL didn't match), looking at a team like NE, the Patriots #1 picks from the past 10 years have been G Cole Strange, QB Mac Jones, WR N'Keal Harry, T Isaiah Wynn, RB Sony Michel, DT Malcom Brown, and DT Dominique Easley (ignoring the picks that got snatched from them for cheating allegations). As a NE fan, I wished they would trade away their first round picks every year (like they did to obtain WR Brandin Cooks). To me, more teams with lousy QB situations should be consider Lamar than there are (at least on the surface). Hitting on a franchise QB is worth giving up the draft capital to obtain one.

I do believe that many people are overestimating the value of 1st round draft picks.
Very few draft picks make it long term after about the 2nd-3rd Rd, there's exceptions but most of the starters come out of these early picks.
I understand what you are saying but the 1st Rd picks have a lot of value in terms of trading capital for teams.

Miami right now is limited in any more moves they can make because they have squandered so many of their draft picks already.
Of course they have value and you're, probably, right about early round picks lasting longer in the league. But that is part of my point: coming out of the 1st round with a 6-8 year ham'n'egger is considered a win.

If we set the bar at ham'n'egger then 1st round picks probably hit at a higher than 50% rate.

But if you set the bar at "difference maker" then I think that hit rate drops well below 50%.

People like to argue 1st round picks, as a whole, from a position of them being All-Pros but that simply isn't the case.

Late picks, totally agreed.
The idea was floated the other day on a podcast I listen to (don’t recall which, probably the herd or Atlantic) that the colts and ravens could work a deal where the colts only give the 1.04 and maybe a later pick or a player instead of The 4 plus next year’s 1st. Obviously that would need to be worked before the offer sheet, and I’m not entirely sure of the logistics but I’d assume the GMs can figure that out. The point was simply that the ravens would prefer the 4 to two late firsts and it could make sense for the colts as they miss out on the QBs they want in this draft.

How is the NFLPA not looking into collusion here? There is no way in hell that a 26 year old former MVP QB would get zero calls into a free agency period even with a tag.

I don't even think Lamar is that good of a QB, but there isn't enough of them to go around where he wouldn't get some calls.
Problem is, every team has a legitimate reason to not be interested. It’s surprising that none of the QB needy teams are kicking the tires, but not for any one of them.

Of course every team has a reason. 26 year year old MVPs don't become free agents if there isn't a flaw.

I don't think the flaw means no one should try to contact him. NFL teams have traded for and paid guys a ton of money that have done way worse things then Lamar.
totally agreed. Has Lamar done anything “bad”? I honestly don’t recall.

Collusion is so hard to prove, but I still think the NFLPA should be investigating it. Even though I don't think they will be able to prove anything.
It's hard to prove because it's incredibly far fetched. Are we really supposed to believe that every owner in the league is banding together to make sure Lamar Jackson doesn't get a fully guaranteed contract? But they didn't do that for Kirk Cousins, Aaron Rodgers, or Deshaun Watson? And the ~80% guaranteed contracts that several other QBs have gotten is totally fine but no friggin way are we going to allow 100% (besides those which already got 100%, of course)?

Yes, there's an old boys club, but it's a very hard sell that all 32 owners are on the same page here. You really think all of the lunatic owners like Snyder and Irsay would toe the line and go along with everyone else and also keep it hush hush? They're trying to beat each other, if they thought bringing in Lamar (considering everything that entails) would give them an advantage of course they would consider it. Also, these guys didn't become billionaires by being dumb (most of them anyway), you would think any actual collusion would include a couple of token teams talking to him to at least give the impression that they're interested (and then leaking that out).

Late picks, totally agreed.
The idea was floated the other day on a podcast I listen to (don’t recall which, probably the herd or Atlantic) that the colts and ravens could work a deal where the colts only give the 1.04 and maybe a later pick or a player instead of The 4 plus next year’s 1st. Obviously that would need to be worked before the offer sheet, and I’m not entirely sure of the logistics but I’d assume the GMs can figure that out. The point was simply that the ravens would prefer the 4 to two late firsts and it could make sense for the colts as they miss out on the QBs they want in this draft.
Tag and trade.
Unfortunately that takes a lot of communication which is usually done by.........an agent.

I just hope he doesn't hold out or sit out if he stays with Baltimore. You would hope he'd learn from Bell's costly mistake but you never know...

he will end up back in baltimore. no one is giving up two first and that money.
While I disagree that "no one is giving up 2 firsts and that money", I don't think that BAL accepts the draft picks. I see them matching the offer.
I think signing Lamar to an offer sheet is one of the least likely outcomes. I would rank things: New deal with BAL, plays on franchise tag, traded to another team, signed to an offer sheet matched by BAL, signed to an offer sheet not matched by BAL, sits out the preseason, sits out some of the season, sits out all of the season.

While I disagree that "no one is giving up 2 firsts and that money", I don't think that BAL accepts the draft picks. I see them matching the offer.
I think this possibility isn't getting enough attention. That may be a common feeling among other teams so it's possible they simply don't want to negotiate Baltimore's deal for them.

I think signing Lamar to an offer sheet is one of the least likely outcomes. I would rank things: New deal with BAL, plays on franchise tag, traded to another team, signed to an offer sheet matched by BAL, signed to an offer sheet not matched by BAL, sits out the preseason, sits out some of the season, sits out all of the season.

:goodposting:

ESPN's Stephen Holder reports the Colts "did not rule out" opening discussions with Ravens QB Lamar Jackson.​

While that may be the case, it was also noted that "the club has not taken any substantive steps regarding Jackson" at this point. It appears the Colts have not ruled out Lamar Jackson as an answer to their four-year revolving door at quarterback, but it's also evident that they have yet to go out of their way to pursue his services. The Colts currently have just over $20 million in cap space after the first week of free agency, meaning a deal with Lamar Jackson would be difficult - but not impossible. Stepping back from the current saga surrounding the mercurial quarterback, it makes a lot of sense for the Colts to be one of the few teams currently tied to Jackson's future, even if it appears to be a bit of a stretch. Jackson is, as of now, set to play for Baltimore under the franchise tag.
SOURCE: ESPN.com
Mar 20, 2023, 9:23 PM ET

Agree.

You bring up some good points with Jackson not having an agent and what likely happens.
Unless LJ leaks out what they are offering him which he has occasionally, who would know?

The longer this drags out, the more I think the situation is untenable between LJackson and the Ravens. Lamar feels like he has been slighted - he feels he has done more than enough to be appreciated. Whether that's valid, fair or not, etc., I think there is bad blood there that's not likely to be completely repaired. I'm not certain he even wants to be affiliated with the organization any more. Even if the Ravens match another team's offer, is that going to be enough to make Lamar a happy camper, rather than a disgruntled QB on the roster for the next several years?

Last edited:
The longer this drags out, the more I think the situation is untenable between the LJackson and the Ravens. Lamar feel like he has been slighted - he feels he has done enough to be appreciated. Whether that's valid, fair or not, etc., I think there is bad blood there that's not likely to be completely repaired. I'm not certain he even wants to be affiliated with the organization any more. Even if the Ravens match another team's offer, is that going to be enough to make Lamar a happy camper, rather than a disgruntled QB on the roster for the next several years?
Ravens could always match an offer and then trade him for more than the 2 1sts.

It could also work the other way. Ravens could work out a trade for less than two firsts if the relationship with Jackson is not repairable. Lamar may want out of town, and the Ravens may have to go into damage control mode to reclaim whatever they could get for him. Potential suitors could balk at having to trade assets and shell out a new mega deal. Ask the Broncos how that went in acquiring Russell Wilson and if they would do that again.

It could also work the other way. Ravens could work out a trade for less than two firsts if the relationship with Jackson is not repairable. Lamar may want out of town, and the Ravens may have to go into damage control mode to reclaim whatever they could get for him. Potential suitors could balk at having to trade assets and shell out a new mega deal. Ask the Broncos how that went in acquiring Russell Wilson and if they would do that again.
Where the Broncos screwed up worst was not the acquisition of Wilson itself, but the immediate and premature extension while he still had two years left on his contract. Wilson's deal would have looked vastly different if GM Paton had waited at least until Russ had played a down in a Broncos uniform.

The longer this drags out, the more I think the situation is untenable between the LJackson and the Ravens. Lamar feel like he has been slighted - he feels he has done enough to be appreciated. Whether that's valid, fair or not, etc., I think there is bad blood there that's not likely to be completely repaired. I'm not certain he even wants to be affiliated with the organization any more. Even if the Ravens match another team's offer, is that going to be enough to make Lamar a happy camper, rather than a disgruntled QB on the roster for the next several years?
If Lamar had an agent he woulda signed a nice deal with a lot of guaranteed a couple years ago, and a year from now he'd be ready to sign another huge deal.
Oopsie

Well, at least she's not telling teams "he's not ready to move on from the Ravens so don't bother wasting your time talking to him".

I say give it time, there's really no rush and the longer it plays out the more leverage for Jackson as far as I can see.
Just the fact he can wait until 3 days prior to kickoff week 1 without any penalty...he's come this far and he should let it play out until at least Mid-June.

Someone posted about a July 17th/Mid-July deadline to sign a real extension, that seems like an important date because all kidding aside i admire Jackson
I don't want to see him go another year without a real contract.

I believe all 31 other NFL teams should be paying close attention and should try and have at least a back up plan to acquire him if they feel he is an upgrade.
Out of those 31 teams, we can cross thru many of them but some teams that claim they are OUT...like the Miami Dolphins as an example should have their head examined for not exploring this opportunity and bringing in a QB that would instantly make Miami a Super Bowl contender, almost no doubt in my mind. And they have the weapons to exploit Jackson and what he can do to opposing teams.

I understand Tua looks great when he's upright and LJ has missed a lot of time just like Tua in recent seasons. Still feels like a massive upgrade and I feel like Jackson is a war horse, Tua not so much even though i am pulling for him to go concussion and injury free next year but that is hoping for a lot.

Indy should definitely explore the idea, I don't think all these 4 QBs being Top10 talk, only Stroud has me convince of anything. I know Young has a lot of talent but I would be sad if Miami somehow by miracle drafted him and sent Tua packing, that would feel like no upgrade whatsoever. But what in hells bells do I know?...nothing.

I like the idea, doubt Baltimore will allow him to go to any team in the AFC, just my belief but you never know. I do think someone should challenge them using the non-exclusive and get into the game of chicken that they have been doing all along with Jackson.

Cheers Popeye and thanks for letting me sound off
:popcorn:

From the article...
As he often does on the football field, Lamar Jackson is going on the offensive with regard to his ongoing contract situation. With Jackson and the Ravens still at a stalemate, a representative for the former league MVP has begun contacting teams in an effort to create a possible landing spot for the quarterback, according to Pro Football Talk, and telling them he's ready to move on from Baltimore.

Jackson is not hellbent on receiving a fully guaranteed contract, according to the report, but he is pursuing a highly lucrative multiyear deal that would be in the neighborhood of at least $200 million. It should be noted that the Ravens -- by placing the non-exclusive franchise tag on Jackson -- can match any offer and would receive two first-round picks if they decide not to match.

-The talking heads should have fun with this the net couple days

I go back to my original numbers
All a team has to do is throw a $250M-$300M contract in front of him
Make some of it a huge signing bonus, bigger than Stafford's last March-$60M, spread it out over 5-6 yrs
Get him to where the yearly cash is avg $50M per year
You still might lose out to the Ravens matching but you turn the heat up
You can work the contract to have a Watson-like 1st year of say just $1M salary after the highest signing bonus ever

'24 Salary Cap over $250M
'25 Salary Cap close to $290M
'26 Salary Cap Over $300M, let's try and not act offended when we discuss QB salaries, it's a ridiculous amount of money but let's not turn into speed limit huggers hanging out in the left lane on the freeway. It's not your job to enforce the speed limit, get out of the way dammit

Make some of it a huge signing bonus, bigger than Stafford's last March-$60M, spread it out over 5-6 yrs
You can work the contract to have a Watson-like 1st year of say just $1M salary after the highest signing bonus ever

'26 Salary Cap Over $300M, let's try and not act offended when we discuss QB salaries, it's a ridiculous amount of money but let's not turn into speed limit huggers hanging out in the left lane on the freeway. It's not your job to enforce the speed limit, get out of the way dammit
You remember Bill Clinton and "it's the economy, stupid." For owners -It's the cash in escrow.

You remember Bill Clinton and "it's the economy, stupid." For owners -It's the cash in escrow.
The article says guaranteed money isn't really his sticking point so we'll see how that plays out

The longer this drags out, the more I think the situation is untenable between the LJackson and the Ravens.
I agree with that. What's not getting focused on as much as "Lamar needs an agent" is that the Ravens are pretty screwed if he signs elsewhere or sits out, or does the minimum necessary to fulfill what's necessary to constitute a full year of playing. Ravens have no backup plan. Tyler Huntley can maybe lead them to 6-11 or 7-10.

The longer this drags out, the more I think the situation is untenable between the LJackson and the Ravens.
I agree with that. What's not getting focused on as much as "Lamar needs an agent" is that the Ravens are pretty screwed if he signs elsewhere or sits out, or does the minimum necessary to fulfill what's necessary to constitute a full year of playing. Ravens have no backup plan. Tyler Huntley can maybe lead them to 6-11 or 7-10.

I think the opposite...I think Lamar has backed himself into a corner. He plays on the franchise tag and if he runs as much this year as he has the last two years there is a high probability he gets injured and if he does that again his value is going to be half what it is now.

If he comes in and just barely plays that hurts him too. He isn't talented enough to half a$$ it out there. People already question his ability to be a pocket passer...

So the longer this goes on the more untenable the situation is with Lamar and the Ravens? I guess I don't understand that. Are the Ravens allowed to do all the leg work with other teams to discuss a tag and trade, and discuss Lamar's contrac with them?
Unless I'm missing something, it seems the length of this situation is on Lamar.

matching the offer means they have to sign him to the terms of that contract, and all of the goodies that entails.
like HUNDREDS of $ millions of dead cap to be recognized at time of trade from the guarantees.

matching the offer means they have to sign him to the terms of that contract, and all of the goodies that entails.
like HUNDREDS of $ millions of dead cap to be recognized at time of trade from the guarantees.
Right. That won't happen.
That's why a tag and trade makes sense. Problem is, Lamar has to sign the tag to allow that. Lot of communication involved in that.
Hire an agent stupid. You have a very complex situation here.

I see no way the Colts give pick 4 and their 2024 1st, plus a zillion dollars.
I'm still shocked the Browns did what they did.
Anything's possible I guess.
As many others have said, I think something happens after the draft. If Lamar had an agent I think a tag and trade might have been worked out already, them teams could focus on this draft. That would be ideal. Not sure Lamar's unapproved people are getting it done for him.

I see no way the Colts give pick 4 and their 2024 1st, plus a zillion dollars.
Why, especially if they're planning on using pick 4 on a risky QB like Richardson or Levis?

Well, I don't think they are going to draft Richardson either. Or Levis.
I actually think what they would IDEALLY want to do is trade down from 4 and work a Lamar trade after that.
I do NOT see a team signing Lamar to a huge deal and giving two 1sts before the draft.
I see either a tag and trade, or Lamar signs and extension with Baltimore after signing the tag, which I think they can do an extension for a couple more months right? Anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread