What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Lamar Jackson, BAL (1 Viewer)

Jacoby Brissett is his own agent and just got the best deal he's ever had, based on about 3/4 of last season's play.
It’s like hiring a real estate agent, no offense to any out there. You’re just throwing insane amounts of money away based off a practice that was done far before technology and the internet/education made it feasible for everybody who is mildly intelligent to do it. Lamar doesn’t need an agent, he just has to know what his market value is.
an agent might be worth it to Lamar if only to provide him with some sort of reality check on his market value by someone at least less biased
The Ravens did that for him by designating him a non-exclusive franchise tag.

Now he can go determine what his market value is.

Perfect.

I think I found the source of your numbers (yahoo), which are estimates of course but good enough. I think you miss the importance of social media presence when determining potential endorsement value.

He almost doubles up Allen with 1.1m twitter followers and has almost 10x Stafford's 12k followers. He falls short of Dak (1.5m), Mahomes (2.2m) and Wilson (5.6m :shock: ), Rodgers (4.6m) & Brady (3m). Had he capitalized in his earlier success he would likely be closer to $8-10 mil/year today.

Heck, Matt Ryan Drew $10 mil/year for a couple after his MVP season.

Managing social media engagement is another value add agent's bring to the table.

Why isn't Lamar's mug all over billboards and magazine full pages in Japan slinging whiskey or Tag Heuer watches?

Because he doesn't have an agent.
Tom Brady has a super model for a wife. Russell Wilson has, 'apparently' a well-known singer, both have super high Q-scores. The other top NFL earners were recent SB winners which come with a built-in national audience that can be leveraged. These are not 'just' NFL players who parlay an NFL stage, they have high Q-scores and/or have had the national stage to leverage.
The Ravens have an offer that THEY have reported on the table, Lamar can simply sign it acting as his own agent and reap the benefit of not paying 6% which would be over $12 million which he'd never reach in endorsements.
If he wants to hire an agency to schlep some criminally overpriced insurance company, he can do that on the side and still negotiate his own deal.
It isn't an either he has an agent and endorsements, or he acts as his own agent and can't do endorsements unless he negotiates them on his own. He can negotiate his contract and then hire an agency to cut endorsement deals and get the best of both worlds.

Why isn't Lamar's mug all over billboards and magazine full pages in Japan slinging whiskey or Tag Heuer watches?

Or it could be his personal choice. There are a few NFL players who don't do what's expected to maximize their value. Remember all the crap Joe Thomas took on this board and elsewhere for not attending the NFL draft. He chose to go fishing with his dad instead. People are different.
Joe Thomas took crap for that?? Oh my Lord. He became an instant fan favorite here in Cleveland for that.

Or it could be his personal choice. There are a few NFL players who don't do what's expected to maximize their value. Remember all the crap Joe Thomas took on this board and elsewhere for not attending the NFL draft. He chose to go fishing with his dad instead. People are different.
Joe Thomas took crap for that?? Oh my Lord. He became an instant fan favorite here in Cleveland for that.
Anything out of the norm gets a mixed reaction. But yeah, Joe was the one Brown many of us liked a lot.

I bet every non QB in the NFL really loves all this QB drama and squabbling over this guaranteed money.

They should…because the only way it happens for them is if it starts with QBs like Lamar…Lamar-Burrow-Herbert will determine the future of guaranteed contracts and whether Watson’s will be looked at as an outlier or the gateway to guaranteed contracts becoming the norm some time in the future.

I bet every non QB in the NFL really loves all this QB drama and squabbling over this guaranteed money.

They should…because the only way it happens for them is if it starts with QBs like Lamar…Lamar-Burrow-Herbert will determine the future of guaranteed contracts and whether Watson’s will be looked at as an outlier or the gateway to guaranteed contracts becoming the norm some time in the future.

It's never happening for them.

Not for any of the current players

Lamar's situation is bigger than him...he really needs an agent to look out for his best interests because neither the Union or the Owners do.

I understand why teams/owners/GM's are out on fully guaranteed contracts. But refusing to talk to the guy still seems odd, especially everyone announcing it. I mean you can meet with him, get his demands - if you're out then, sure. But at least it looks like you did your due diligence.

That said, his last few season have been a huge dropoff from the MVP year. But still, if Daniel Jones had a 40 million a year market, Lamar has a market. A fully guaranteed market, no. Maybe not a market anyone wants to pay two firsts (although if you're Washington, I dont get why you dont do it unless there's no way to make the $$ work)

Lamar's situation is bigger than him...he really needs an agent to look out for his best interests because neither the Union or the Owners do.

I understand why teams/owners/GM's are out on fully guaranteed contracts. But refusing to talk to the guy still seems odd, especially everyone announcing it. I mean you can meet with him, get his demands - if you're out then, sure. But at least it looks like you did your due diligence.

That said, his last few season have been a huge dropoff from the MVP year. But still, if Daniel Jones had a 40 million a year market, Lamar has a market. A fully guaranteed market, no. Maybe not a market anyone wants to pay two firsts (although if you're Washington, I dont get why you dont do it unless there's no way to make the $$ work)
Perhaps they already talked to him

Nope…but the Union will be there long after the current players are.

Nope…but the Union will be there long after the current players are.
That has nothing to do with what I said.

That feels like comparing apples to spaceships.

Especially considering Lamar is allegedly holding out for the Watson contract.

Now, there is an argument that Lamar holding firm for the guaranteed contract is principled stand because he is trying to change the NFL contract system as a whole for the benefit of all players.

In that case I would hope he would pursue every off field nickel he can generate because, without broad support from the players (which he won't get) and fans (HA!!! As if) he will lose that battle and he better get his scratch before he gets Kapernicked.

Not saying that is what he's doing but if it is he needs to build his war chest, which he isn't doing.

Not attending the draft didn't cost Joe Thomas a cent.

Lamar can simply sign it acting as his own agent and reap the benefit of not paying 6% which would be over $12 million which he'd never reach in endorsements.
Absolutely disagree with this, which is fine, no one should agree with anyone in everything.

He would have absolutely eclipsed $12 mil in endorsements had he, or his agent, capably leveraged his MVP season.

If Matt Ryan (who is as interesting as a person and player as David Puddy on an international flight) and his 330k Twitter followers, could apparently get $10mil in one off season (not 100% verified on the actual $$$ of course but it's close enough) off an MVP and SB loss seven years ago then Lamar could have eclipsed $12 mil in endorsements off his MVP four seasons ago. That would only average $3 mil/season.

Anything out of the norm gets a mixed reaction. But yeah, Joe was the one Brown many of us liked a lot.
I'm neutral to the Browns but I loved Thomas. Such a phenomenal player and seems like a good dude.

It's odd how few commercials Jackson has been in in the Baltimore market where he's almost revered. I don't know if that's lost business opportunities or just a choice he has made.
It is an interesting question about whether or not he has a moral/philosophical position against marketing in general or maybe just products he doesn't truly believe in.

IDK, if that were the case I would love to hear him talk about it.

I would love to hear him talk publicly about unfair NFL labor practices and sham NFL contracts that give ownership too much power over players. How he is taking a stand for all NFL players, present and future.

I would love to hear about the ethical dilemmas surrounding promoting apparel companies that exploit child labor and horrendous working conditions in Bangladesh. And the conundrum of how in many parts of the world children need to work to survive and, if we don't support those companies employing them, they and their families risk starvation.

But we're not getting.that from Lamar. He isn't saying anything. From the outside it looks like simple control issues...or mommy issues...or both.

Last edited:
Any player holding out for more money and saying it's for the betterment of all players is feeding you a steaming pile of lying turds.

You are missing the point...Lamar has not said that...not at all and my guess is he could care less...the issue is he does not have an Agent and due to that the Union has far more influence over his negotiations and they deeply care.

I understand why teams/owners/GM's are out on fully guaranteed contracts. But refusing to talk to the guy still seems odd, especially everyone announcing it. I mean you can meet with him, get his demands - if you're out then, sure. But at least it looks like you did your due diligence
This, all day. You don’t even call? Don’t even have a dinner?

I think I found the source of your numbers (yahoo), which are estimates of course but good enough. I think you miss the importance of social media presence when determining potential endorsement value.

He almost doubles up Allen with 1.1m twitter followers and has almost 10x Stafford's 12k followers. He falls short of Dak (1.5m), Mahomes (2.2m) and Wilson (5.6m :shock: ), Rodgers (4.6m) & Brady (3m). Had he capitalized in his earlier success he would likely be closer to $8-10 mil/year today.

Heck, Matt Ryan Drew $10 mil/year for a couple after his MVP season.

Managing social media engagement is another value add agent's bring to the table.

Tom Brady has had a super model for a wife.

I understand why teams/owners/GM's are out on fully guaranteed contracts. But refusing to talk to the guy still seems odd, especially everyone announcing it. I mean you can meet with him, get his demands - if you're out then, sure. But at least it looks like you did your due diligence
I mean, some players gamble on themselves, put up a huge year, and win the bet with a massive payday.

Some players gamble on themselves, get hurt, and lose the bet.

Lamar needs to take the L and sign a lucrative contract. I’ll never pity millionaires fighting with billionaires when there are hundreds of millions on the table for him.

If he’s obsessed with Watson’s contract, he’s out of his mind because that will never, ever happen again.

Browns rat****ed the market for a while for sure with that hot nonsense.

Any player holding out for more money and saying it's for the betterment of all players is feeding you a steaming pile of lying turds.

You are missing the point...Lamar has not said that...not at all and my guess is he could care less...the issue is he does not have an Agent and due to that the Union has far more influence over his negotiations and they deeply care.
All the narrative around Lamar is being written by other parties because he doesn't have an agent.

All the narrative around Lamar is being written by other parties because he doesn't have an agent.
From Pro Football Talk, mouthpiece of agents.

Everyone knows this, and they still parrot the agent narrative.

Just not understanding the benefit to him not having an agent right now...yeah, he doesn't have to give up a % of his contract but when you are looking at a monster deal like this that now has a ton of moving parts having an agent is worth the investment...would love to know his actual thought process behind this decision.

From Pro Football Talk, mouthpiece of agents.

Everyone knows this, and they still parrot the agent narrative.
I'm not sure I follow, do you think Lamar is better served not having an agent?

He has so many more moving parts than a guy like Brissett.

Just not understanding the benefit to him not having an agent right now...yeah, he doesn't have to give up a % of his contract but when you are looking at a monster deal like this that now has a ton of moving parts having an agent is worth the investment...would love to know his actual thought process behind this decision.
Dude could have $100M on a $250M contract today.

I have no idea why this hasn’t already been signed.

Madness.

He has so many more moving parts than a guy like Brissett.
I agree, but by the same token, agents take 10% or more - LJax could have $100M guaranteed (or more) and not have to give anyone a cut right now except Uncle Sam on April 15th.

So at the moment, no - I do not believe he’d be better served by an agent.

What Lamar needs is a friend or family member to tell him to make a deal that makes him wealthy beyond most people’s wildest dreams, because that’s already seemingly on the table.

I think in general, he will make more money over his career, especially off the field, if he has an agent. Assuming that is the definition of 'better served'. I think him not having an agent, right after he is the next contract after Watson, is some bad timing, and has resulted in him being caught in the crossfire between the NFLPA and the owners. He is the test case for guaranteed deals, and all the players want him to stay strong, so THEY can get guaranteed deals.

Has Lamar been out there, complaining about not enough endorsements? Maybe he wants to leave work, cash his 32 mill paycheck this year, and enjoy his time off.
If Lamar want to not have an agent, and doesn't care about having Chunky Soup commercials, why are we suddenly so concerned about it? I'll tell you why, because the agent mouthpieces in the media have decided we need to be worried about that. Like, playing on the tag this year, what is the tragedy, that he might wind up like Kirk Cousins? He played out the tags, and wound up getting more money, AND a guaranteed deal.

Madness.

He waits till after Hurts/Herbert/Burrow sign, he'll probably get 150 mill guaranteed. After getting 32 mill this year.

by the same token, agents take 10% or more
I have seen these numbers tossed around and they keep going higher.

By rule the NFLPA limits agents to 3% commission on contracts, or less depending on the contract type. And that is only based on the money actually received by the player, none of the funny money counts.

Deshaun Watson's agent received $7.5 mil in his $250 mil contract.

Outside revenues are priced differently but 10% is likely on the very high end.

I think in general, he will make more money over his career, especially off the field, if he has an agent. Assuming that is the definition of 'better served'. I think him not having an agent, right after he is the next contract after Watson, is some bad timing, and has resulted in him being caught in the crossfire between the NFLPA and the owners. He is the test case for guaranteed deals, and all the players want him to stay strong, so THEY can get guaranteed deals.

Has Lamar been out there, complaining about not enough endorsements? Maybe he wants to leave work, cash his 32 mill paycheck this year, and enjoy his time off.
If Lamar want to not have an agent, and doesn't care about having Chunky Soup commercials, why are we suddenly so concerned about it? I'll tell you why, because the agent mouthpieces in the media have decided we need to be worried about that. Like, playing on the tag this year, what is the tragedy, that he might wind up like Kirk Cousins? He played out the tags, and wound up getting more money, AND a guaranteed deal.

Madness.

He waits till after Hurts/Herbert/Burrow sign, he'll probably get 150 mill guaranteed. After getting 32 mill this year.
I doubt his price tag goes up from here. Especially if it's a new team.
I'm guessing Baltimore would do 150 million guaranteed on a 5-6 year deal.
Also guessing Ljax want 200+

If Lamar want to not have an agent, and doesn't care about having Chunky Soup commercials, why are we suddenly so concerned about it?
If Lamar is doing it based on a principal against marketing, or simply doesn't care about those dollars, that's great.

But does that narrative really jive with fighting for every last guaranteed nickel? I mean, if it wasn't about the money wouldn't he have accepted the Ravens, was it $133 million actual guarantee (something like that) and called it a day?

I am not necessarily pro agent, but I am 100% pro players and I think it is in Lamar's best interest to seek outside counsel at this point.

If Lamar want to not have an agent, and doesn't care about having Chunky Soup commercials, why are we suddenly so concerned about it?
If Lamar is doing it based on a principal against marketing, or simply doesn't care about those dollars, that's great.

But does that narrative really jive with fighting for every last guaranteed nickel? I mean, if it wasn't about the money wouldn't he have accepted the Ravens, was it $133 million actual guarantee (something like that) and called it a day?

I am not necessarily pro agent, but I am 100% pro players and I think it is in Lamar's best interest to seek outside counsel at this point.
so what if he engaged outside "counsel" in the form of an experienced NYC attorney, who is charging $1,000 / hr.
not an agent, so not fitting the narrative of the agent pack of wolves

so what if he engaged outside "counsel" in the form of an experienced NYC attorney, who is charging $1,000 / hr.
Whatever he's doing isn't working

There's a massive gulf between fighting for everwy nickel, and settling for half the guaranteed money as Watson, but I know you know that.

I think it's very possible Lamar is getting bad advice from NFLPA, because they want guaranteed deals. It's also possible that Lamar, then Hurts, then Burrow, break ownership, and get what they want.

Watson was the 2nd QB to get a guaranteed deal, Cousins was the 1st. The precedent is there, they just need to stay strong. The league can afford it.

Yeah why wouldn’t they at least see if they could reach a deal where both parties are happy?
I mean these teams don’t have to offer fully guaranteed contracts necessarily. They just need to outbid Baltimore really.

Indeed. The NFLPA is telling LJ not to get an agent so they can use him as a pawn.

Dude never needed an agent more.

This has absolutely happened in the NBA, with slotted salaries already set.

But now? Lamar's mom, and whatever lawyer they are using, is almost definitely not as good for him financially as an agent would be.

Agents take 3%, and Lamar could find one who would take 2%, no problem at all. Most likely would be worth it.

This has absolutely happened in the NBA, with slotted salaries already set.

But now? Lamar's mom, and whatever lawyer they are using, is almost definitely not as good for him financially as an agent would be.

Agents take 3%, and Lamar could find one who would take 2%, no problem at all. Most likely would be worth it.
I’ll be his agent for 1%, and would have a great deal signed by 6 PM today.

The thing about not paying an agent, or a publicist, or a manger, or whatever, is that some of these people make money when the client makes money, so they are incentivized to make you money. Some clients get cheap on the people that are creating revenue for them, that's usually very very bad.

Lamar might have people that can look at contracts, and they might think they can field calls for shoe deals and commercials, but fact is, you pay a percentage to some manager/agent who knows who to call at Nike, or Under Armour, or Pepsi.

Users who are viewing this thread