What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kyler Murray, ARZ (1 Viewer)

Kyler has no reason to sit out the entire season - he needs to rehab his status as well as the injury - hes gone from a star to forgotten. This may turn into a Raiders/Carr mess where Kyler wants to play but the Cards dont want to risk guaranteed salary to play him....as a Kyler owner hope Im wrong.
Not sure I get this. Once a player signs a guaranteed contract for $40M+ / year in any sport they really don't have to prove anything. They can collect the money and do nothing. He has nothing to prove unless he's looking at his next contract after 2027. Until then he can collect $230M for sitting on the bench. Hey, maybe nobody likes it but he doesn't have to care at all. If he does, that's awesome for him and the guys like him that care more than the $s. But having to prove something ... not really. He can show up to the facility and cash his check.

I mean, let's say you make $100K a year doing IT stuff. But your boss instead pays you $1M for 10 years guaranteed up front. The motivation really isn't there anymore.

Kyler has no reason to sit out the entire season - he needs to rehab his status as well as the injury - hes gone from a star to forgotten. This may turn into a Raiders/Carr mess where Kyler wants to play but the Cards dont want to risk guaranteed salary to play him....as a Kyler owner hope Im wrong.
Not sure I get this. Once a player signs a guaranteed contract for $40M+ / year in any sport they really don't have to prove anything. They can collect the money and do nothing. He has nothing to prove unless he's looking at his next contract after 2027. Until then he can collect $230M for sitting on the bench. Hey, maybe nobody likes it but he doesn't have to care at all. If he does, that's awesome for him and the guys like him that care more than the $s. But having to prove something ... not really. He can show up to the facility and cash his check.

I mean, let's say you make $100K a year doing IT stuff. But your boss instead pays you $1M for 10 years guaranteed up front. The motivation really isn't there anymore.
From a strictly contract position you are correct but you are assuming its all about money for him and he doesnt care about playing anymore just cashing checks. In what Ive seen from Kyler hes a pretty competitive guy and I dont think he'd be ok with sitting and cashing checks. He wants to play and succeed.

Maybe he will come back a couple of weeks after week 4. He posted a video on social media about coming back soon. Doesn't sound like somebody mailing it in this year.
Amazingly, Arizona is very close to being 2-0 right now. They were leading both Washington and NY in the 4th quarter. Murray is certainly an upgrade from Dobbs, and perhaps a big one.
I mean…..are we really sure he’s a big upgrade?
Bump

Maybe he will come back a couple of weeks after week 4. He posted a video on social media about coming back soon. Doesn't sound like somebody mailing it in this year.
Amazingly, Arizona is very close to being 2-0 right now. They were leading both Washington and NY in the 4th quarter. Murray is certainly an upgrade from Dobbs, and perhaps a big one.
Bump
Same answer.

What I think we are finding out (and really already knew) is that Kingsbury was awful. This team is playing harder in every aspect, when Murray gets back, this could honestly be a somewhat dangerous team.

I think Murray might be the long-term starter. This team is too good to pick #1. They could be 3-0 right now with a little luck (or better QB play week 1-2) and Houston seems to be ok, and Stroud is improving every week.

Bump
Same answer.

What I think we are finding out (and really already knew) is that Kingsbury was awful. This team is playing harder in every aspect, when Murray gets back, this could honestly be a somewhat dangerous team.

I think Murray might be the long-term starter. This team is too good to pick #1. They could be 3-0 right now with a little luck (or better QB play week 1-2) and Houston seems to be ok, and Stroud is improving every week.
Time will tell. And I’m definitely not asserting the answer — just pointing out that others are starting to ask the same question.

Arizona is playing really hard and look good. Beating Dallas is no joke. Dobbs has been a nice find. This guy Gannon was laughed at but he looks like a great hire as well. Eagles churning out good coaches

I think I heard Kyler is on the sidelines every game and pretty enthusiastic about the team - is that correct?

If yes that's an indication that he does plan to come back and play, not just cash checks.

Arizona is playing really hard and look good. Beating Dallas is no joke. Dobbs has been a nice find. This guy Gannon was laughed at but he looks like a great hire as well. Eagles churning out good coaches
honestly Dobbs is looking to be a nice game manager.

I think I heard Kyler is on the sidelines every game and pretty enthusiastic about the team - is that correct?

If yes that's an indication that he does plan to come back and play, not just cash checks.
Despite being out, Kyler was voted a team captain. He's 100% committed to Arizona, and I think they are still very committed to him. Gannon mentioned Murray as a big reason he took the job in the 1st place.

It doesn't look like the Cards or Texans are gonna be in the race for the #1 pick.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports Cardinals QB Kyler Murray is not expected to come off the Physically Unable to Perform list when first eligible Monday.
It was always a long shot for Kyler to return when first eligible after just four missed games, but this new non-timeline doesn’t add much in the way of clarity to the situation. Expect Murray to return at some point this season, but the “when” is still very much up in the air. That said, it has been apparent that the recently paid franchise quarterback has been progressing well in his rehab process.

If you’re desperate enough to start Dobbs at QB, do you actively make a deal for Murray?

Or is Murray going to sit it all out?

I know no one knows the answer to this but I am looking for as much educated speculation as I can get.

If you’re desperate enough to start Dobbs at QB, do you actively make a deal for Murray?

Or is Murray going to sit it all out?

I know no one knows the answer to this but I am looking for as much educated speculation as I can get.
This is the best indicator that he will be back for this year,

Murray himself posted on social media that his return is coming soon.

Kyler Murray will be able to be designated to return from PUP (physically unable to perform list). It would open a 21-day window for him to practice and then be activated. It would be the final step to his comeback from the torn ACL he suffered last December.

That being said he wasn't activated in the earliest portion of the 21 day window. which was Wednesday Oct 4th.

My best speculation
Once he starts practicing maybe give him a week or 2 of practice to get acclimated. The Bye week is not helping since Cards have a week 14 Bye and I also don't see a good easy defense to help him reenter.

He is prolly only going to to get more expensive as we get closer to activation

Good Luck!

Kyler Murray might be a great buy low dynasty player. It wasn’t long ago he was a top 3 overall dynasty asset. He’s 26 and could now be the starter for several years. He averages around a top 5 QB finish when healthy. Even if he is QB 10 it’s still a good bet. Other QBs around his value in a dynasty calculator: Dak, Watson, Goff, Fields, Bryce Young. I’ll take Murray over all of them.

Week 16 vs. Chicago (32nd rank vs QBs)
Week 17 vs. Philadelphia (26th rank vs QBs)

Rumblings he practices this week. Potential to be a huge X factor in fantasy playoffs.

Rumblings he practices this week. Potential to be a huge X factor in fantasy playoffs.

I'm 5-1 with Cousins. Thinking of picking him up in a keeper league, just in case. Just wondering where he will play next year.

I'm 5-1 with Cousins. Thinking of picking him up in a keeper league, just in case. Just wondering where he will play next year.
He feels like a Raiders type of player.
I see no reason he won't be in Arizona next year.

No reason? That’s an odd statement.

I don't believe Kyler is a quality NFL starter, but I still agree with you. For FF purposes, you have a dual threat QB getting healthier with likely great game scripts when it matters. That is worth discussing.

He's got a big contract, was a big reason Gannon took the job, and the Cards aren't near bad enough to get Caleb Williams.

People have been wanting to push the idea that Kyler would sit out the season and that he's done in Arizona, but that's been apropos of nothing.

I think Arizona has their QB, and they will use their 2 1sts to get him help, not replace him, and neither of those picks are likely going to be in the top-5. Hell, Houston could honestly win their division if things break right.

He's got a big contract, was a big reason Gannon took the job, and the Cards aren't near bad enough to get Caleb Williams.

People have been wanting to push the idea that Kyler would sit out the season and that he's done in Arizona, but that's been apropos of nothing.

I think Arizona has their QB, and they will use their 2 1sts to get him help, not replace him, and neither of those picks are likely going to be in the top-5. Hell, Houston could honestly win their division if things break right.
I don’t disagree with your rationale for why the odds are stacked in favor of Kyler being in Arizona next year. Thus I consider it unlikely he’s anywhere else. But no reason? I mean, Arizona is bad and absolutely could have a high enough draft pick that they take a QB early.

I don’t disagree with your rationale for why the odds are stacked in favor of Kyler being in Arizona next year. Thus I consider it unlikely he’s anywhere else. But no reason? I mean, Arizona is bad and absolutely could have a high enough draft pick that they take a QB early.
Ok, I should have said no really good reason to take a QB early.

I think Kyler Murray is a good QB, who had to carry an offense run by an incompetent HC.

4th pick in the Draft right now

1. Carolina --- on it's way to Chicago
2. Chicago
3. Denver
4. Arizona
5. NY Giants
6. New England

Ok, I should have said no really good reason to take a QB early.

I think Kyler Murray is a good QB, who had to carry an offense run by an incompetent HC.
Really hope you are right. I scooped up Murray in a keeper league. He’s an enigma so far.

Traded Mahomes then lost Fields. Made a move for Murray to ease my pain. Felt like a down year but in his 14 games last year was 11th in most formats. 22 a game. Bed defense usually means good game script for fantasy QBs. All aboard.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports Kyler Murray (ACL, injured reserve) will play “plenty” this season.

You would expect that when a franchise quarterback’s three-week practice window is opened in Week 6, wouldn’t you. That was the moment any conjecture about Murray’s immediate Cardinals future ended. Cardinals insider Mike Jurecki reported earlier this week that Murray could be back in as little as two weeks. This Sunday isn’t an option, but Week 8 against the Browns can’t be written off yet.

Sounds like they are planning to use the full 3 weeks of practice before putting him into a game.

Giving him his first start in Week 10 would be perfect for me - I have Stafford on Bye that week

Ha - I have Stafford & Murray also in one league, and I was hoping for a much earlier return for Murray! I'm giving up a lot of points at QB playing the Stafford/Purdy/Howell lotto.

Sounds like they are planning to use the full 3 weeks of practice before putting him into a game.

Giving him his first start in Week 10 would be perfect for me - I have Stafford on Bye that week

Ha - I have Stafford & Murray also in one league, and I was hoping for a much earlier return for Murray! I'm giving up a lot of points at QB playing the Stafford/Darnold/Howell lotto.
Fixed

Ha - I have Stafford & Murray also in one league, and I was hoping for a much earlier return for Murray! I'm giving up a lot of points at QB playing the Stafford/Purdy/Howell lotto.
Actually my plan was Fields + Stafford + Murray but that thumb injury messed that up

Hope he gets some work in week 9. It would be hard to throw him out there against the Ravens who are molding into a top defense lately.

Hope he gets some work in week 9. It would be hard to throw him out there against the Ravens who are molding into a top defense lately.
Boy, week 9 is on the road against a Browns/Myles Garrett DL… not much easier.
True. I guess knock the rust off this week then.
Yeah, honestly, what's the point in slowly ramping him up? Unless they've already decided he's the long-term QB, you'd like to see as much as possible.

When asked about whether or not Kyler Murray (knee) would play in Week 8 against the Ravens, Cardinals HC Jonathan Gannon said, “We’ll see.”

It would be awesome if Murray made his return in Week 8 at home against the Ravens, but the Cardinals don’t need to push him on the field if they don’t think he’s ready to go. The team opened Murray’s 21 day window last week, and could wait another week to activate him, but his return is undeniably close. The Cardinals removed him from the injury report on Thursday, and will likely announce a starter before Sunday’s kickoff. Anybody banking on Joshua Dobbs starting in their 2QB/superflex league will want to have a contingency plan in place if Murray starts.

Can't see him playing this weekend.

Just looking at his schedule and it isn't the best plus he has a bye still.
one more week isn’t going to make a big difference if he’s already cleared and a full participant in practice. That said, I see him starting next week

Another week or two probably not a bad idea to wait. it’s not just the health but the playing in / understanding of a new offense.

Let’s not forget he hasn’t had the history of being the most studious!

Users who are viewing this thread