What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Fields, PIT (8 Viewers)

So weird this is surfacing now, after he’s been traded for a song. Almost like the Bears are leaking this to make themselves look better after getting trounced in the media for giving up Fields for nothing.

Must be a slow news day.
Or it's just true? Lucas doesn't work for the Bears anymore.
:shrug:

Seems like every player on the bears the last couple years loved the guy.

Maybe those veteran QBs were jerks. Maybe they didn’t like a rookie taking their job.

Seems like there’s probably more to this story. Comes off as a hit piece.
I'm not even sure it's written by a person. There's no credit that I can see. The article pulls information from GO LONG and a podcast called Windy City Gridiron that interviewed Lucas back in February. I don't even see where the word "toxic" is used in the Go Long article they linked. It's all about Caleb Williams. These are the quotes from Lucas though:

"We thought having two vets with him would really help him with Andy and Nick and that was not cohesive at all," Lucas told Windy City Gridiron at the time.
Lucas added that while he liked that Fields "knew he was the best and should be out there," he thought he could've stood to learn from Dalton and Foles.

"The part you don’t like about it is that there’s a teachable moment in every point of practice," Lucas said. "There’s teachable moments in the building during the day, how you carry yourself as a quarterback. There’s teachable moments at press conferences. There’s teachable moments every snap on Sunday. When you’ve got two guys that have won as much as Nick and seen as much as Andy, and you don’t take that information in, because you’re a little standoffish and a little abrasive, you’re wasting that opportunity."

"Toxic" is another one of those new buzz words people like to throw around right now. Guys not getting along doesn't mean things are toxic, especially when they're competing for playing time, but if he wasn't accepting of veteran mentorship that's telling.

So weird this is surfacing now, after he’s been traded for a song. Almost like the Bears are leaking this to make themselves look better after getting trounced in the media for giving up Fields for nothing.

Must be a slow news day.
Or it's just true? Lucas doesn't work for the Bears anymore.
:shrug:

Seems like every player on the bears the last couple years loved the guy.

Maybe those veteran QBs were jerks. Maybe they didn’t like a rookie taking their job.

Seems like there’s probably more to this story. Comes off as a hit piece.
I have heard this story before. JF felt he was better than Dalton and was too cocky as a rookie to learn from him. Then Dalton got hurt and the Bears leapfrogged JF over Foles in the QB depth chart. That angered Foles to the point he said F this and it continued to be a poor dynamic between the bunch.

JF has been a good teammate since. He was young and he has learned. The 2021 Bears were a disaster on many levels. I don't think there is anything to worry about here.

I have heard this story before. JF felt he was better than Dalton and was too cocky as a rookie to learn from him. Then Dalton got hurt and the Bears leapfrogged JF over Foles in the QB depth chart. That angered Foles to the point he said F this and it continued to be a poor dynamic between the bunch.

JF has been a good teammate since. He was young and he has learned. The 2021 Bears were a disaster on many levels. I don't think there is anything to worry about here.
Yep - that’s exactly how I’d heard it.

It shouldn’t be considered a failing on Fields part that Foles was butt hurt about getting passed up by a rookie.

And honestly it’s not like we’re talking about Montana & Manning here. It’s Dalton & Foles, and neither in their prime. At that point they were retreads.

This “story” seems like slow news day stuff, and my only question is why run it, and who’s behind the decision to do so.

There is no crystal ball here, and I can not see the future, but I don't think it's that large of a leap to see Fields running the show for the fantasy playoffs. He is an intelligent buy-low right now or more like a month ago, but still, even now, he is a buy-low if you have roster space. I'm not arguing about whether he is a franchise quarterback or not or is suitable for the Steelers, but what he is good for is fantasy football.

I'll say it again, Fields was set up to fail in CHI. He will have a better support system in PIT. Sitting for a while probably is a good thing for him too. Take some pressure off and he can recalibrate.
Read something yesterday with Fields talking about how he told Poles he wanted to go to the Steelers. Rooting for this guy and think it is as good of a spot as you're going to get.

I'll throw it out there, Justin Fields could absolutely be a top-5 QB this year in PPG. Arthur Smith is a great fit for him, and his weapons are no worse than they were in Chicago, and potentially better if Roman Wilson and the rookie OL pan out.

If (when?) he gets on the field, I don't see why he won't be more effective than he was in Chicago, and more productive than Anthony Richardson who is going QB6 at the moment.

I'll say it again, Fields was set up to fail in CHI. He will have a better support system in PIT. Sitting for a while probably is a good thing for him too. Take some pressure off and he can recalibrate.
Agree 100%. Many people are going to be surprised at the success Fields is going to have in Pittsburgh.
I will be surprised. The weapons are worse, which was the big excuse for him in Chicago. The good thing is Smith and the Steelers in general will absolutely stick to the run and that D will keep them in games. I also don't think he'll beat Wilson out unless there is an injury.

He has always been a good fantasy QB.

Agree 100%. Many people are going to be surprised at the success Fields is going to have in Pittsburgh.
I will be surprised. The weapons are worse, which was the big excuse for him in Chicago. The good thing is Smith and the Steelers in general will absolutely stick to the run and that D will keep them in games. I also don't think he'll beat Wilson out unless there is an injury.

He may not beat out the Wilson but I say there is a high probability Fields gets a legitimate shot and starts at least a couple of games.

Russ may get hurt and I don’t think he will have a super long leash as I believe the organization wants to see Fields in action so they can potentially sign him to a multi-year deal.

Regardless of whether Fields is ready to take the next step...

...and I think he is and that it is just *another* in a long long long history of QB mismanagement by the Bears organization and if Caleb doesn't absolutely rewrite the Bears QB narrative - this will be made fun of for a long long long time after this when Fields then leads Pittsburgh to years of franchise success - mark it...

Russell Wilson is a nutjob that will never win a locker room again. Which a QB doesn't necessarily have to do to get the starting job, but his problem is he will lose the room. I just don't believe he can ever be a decent starting QB again (from an NFL point of view not FF). I think Fields could regress and still get the job because of just how far into outer space Russell Wilson is.

The Steelers just robbed the everloving crap out of the Bears, who are just continually the dumbest organization ever. And it was nothing to pick up Wilson after Denver dumped him in the fashion they did.

The Bears offense does look pretty insane though but I would have kept Fields and drafted Caleb regardless and said as a franchise we are going to have this two-QB room until such a time as a real offer comes in. There was absolutely zero reason to move him for so cheap other than their own organizational fear (and weakness IMHO) of creating a QB controversy. It *would* be a mess but it would be worth retaining the franchise trade value. Just absolutely horrible and this is about to be one of those "the Blazers could have drafted Jordan instead of Sam Bowie or Kevin Durant instead of Greg Oden" narratives. So dumb that I became a Steelers fan this offseason. Not like switched allegiance or anything I'm just saying that previously the Steelers were a team that I had no real positive or negative view of, other than obviously a historically successful franchise. But I really do hope Fields embarrasses the Bears here (and by extension Russell Wilson because he just really bothers me).

You can’t say they mismanaged Fields on one side and then say you’re going to keep him and draft Williams on the other side. “QB controversy be damned.” Talk about gross mismanagement.

...and I think he is and that it is just *another* in a long long long history of QB mismanagement by the Bears organization and if Caleb doesn't absolutely rewrite the Bears QB narrative - this will be made fun of for a long long long time after this when Fields then leads Pittsburgh to years of franchise success - mark it...

Russell Wilson is a nutjob that will never win a locker room again. Which a QB doesn't necessarily have to do to get the starting job, but his problem is he will lose the room. I just don't believe he can ever be a decent starting QB again (from an NFL point of view not FF). I think Fields could regress and still get the job because of just how far into outer space Russell Wilson is.

The Steelers just robbed the everloving crap out of the Bears, who are just continually the dumbest organization ever. And it was nothing to pick up Wilson after Denver dumped him in the fashion they did.

The Bears offense does look pretty insane though but I would have kept Fields and drafted Caleb regardless and said as a franchise we are going to have this two-QB room until such a time as a real offer comes in. There was absolutely zero reason to move him for so cheap other than their own organizational fear (and weakness IMHO) of creating a QB controversy. It *would* be a mess but it would be worth retaining the franchise trade value. Just absolutely horrible and this is about to be one of those "the Blazers could have drafted Jordan instead of Sam Bowie or Kevin Durant instead of Greg Oden" narratives. So dumb that I became a Steelers fan this offseason. Not like switched allegiance or anything I'm just saying that previously the Steelers were a team that I had no real positive or negative view of, other than obviously a historically successful franchise. But I really do hope Fields embarrasses the Bears here (and by extension Russell Wilson because he just really bothers me).
I'm not so sure it was QB controversy fear. Fields has handled himself like a professional from the beginning. He was thrust into a starters role without ever having taken 1st team snaps and didn't complain. He had the roster stripped bare and didn't complain. He played with a terrible line and obtuse OC and didn't complain (much).

I absolutely believe Poles sat him down at the end of the season and said, "Look, we're going to reset our QB contract with Caleb. We plan on trading you and will try to honor the wishes of you and your agent on where that might be." Poles took it on the chin a little by honoring Fields' wishes. That's how grown men handle these kinds of situations.

Well I wasn't talking about the weapons, but more of the organization and coaching/support. CHI has been a dumpster fire, a complete mess. As for weapons I would say it's a wash but I would agree DJM is better than Pickens but overall very similar weapons.

This is the first time Fields will actually get support and a competent coaching staff. Arthur Smith, surprisingly, is an upgrade over what CHI had last year. Scary.

Will Fields turn out to be a good QB? No idea, but he is in a better system and organization now.

Side Note: It took CHI screwing up Fields so bad that they now realize they need to put proper supports/weapons/coaches around their star player (Caleb). What a joke that org was over the past few years.

Why does Fields take no blame? Zach Wilson was in that same draft and has also now been traded. He gets crucified.
Jets org was a disaster too. Zach should have sat another year before playing. Having said that Wilson should have never gone as high as he did in the NFL draft. Again Jets screwed up. J-E-T-S: SUCK SUCK SUCK. Jets screwed so many QBs up.

Why does Fields take no blame? Zach Wilson was in that same draft and has also now been traded. He gets crucified.
Jets org was a disaster too. Zach should have sat another year before playing. Having said that Wilson should have never gone as high as he did in the NFL draft. Again Jets screwed up. J-E-T-S: SUCK SUCK SUCK. Jets screwed so many QBs up.
Just saying. Why the double standard? My guess is because Fields can run and fantasy guys have an agenda.

If he can’t learn to win from the pocket he’ll never be more than Tyrod Taylor.

Just saying. Why the double standard? My guess is because Fields can run and fantasy guys have an agenda.

Fields was also A LOT better than Wilson was. As a passer, and obviously as a runner. In every aspect of football. Fields has 100% proved he's an NFL caliber QB, even if he may not be a starter, and may be Tyrod 2.0, Zach Wilson has looked like a guy who should be out of the league, if he wasn't the #2 overall pick.

I honestly don't care about WIlson. I'm here to discuss Fields. They aren't the same, they weren't in the same system, they are different type QBs.

Sorry to be blunt but it isn't the same.

You can’t say they mismanaged Fields on one side and then say you’re going to keep him and draft Williams on the other side. “QB controversy be damned.” Talk about gross mismanagement.
I think that narrative is overblown. It worked for the Niners with Montana/Young it worked with Mahomes/Alex Smith and quite a few other examples. It doesn't have to be a controversy if the organization handles it right. And it wouldn't need to last very long either. They didn't need to sell for peanuts in March.

I'm not so sure it was QB controversy fear. Fields has handled himself like a professional from the beginning. He was thrust into a starters role without ever having taken 1st team snaps and didn't complain. He had the roster stripped bare and didn't complain. He played with a terrible line and obtuse OC and didn't complain (much).

I absolutely believe Poles sat him down at the end of the season and said, "Look, we're going to reset our QB contract with Caleb. We plan on trading you and will try to honor the wishes of you and your agent on where that might be." Poles took it on the chin a little by honoring Fields' wishes. That's how grown men handle these kinds of situations.
I actually agree with all of that, except for the part where they sold as cheap as they did. By the way I would have done the same thing the year before as well with Bryce Young.

Fields gets lots of blame, and I think rightfully so. He certainly has flaws that have shown. But he also has taken major leaps in each of his... (looks at notes)... THREE... seasons and is only 25 years old. But his flaws are very minimal compared to Wilson. But believe me Fields gets plenty of blame. I don't even mind the idea of them telling him "hey we're drafting Caleb and he is going to be our starter and we're going to hoard you until we get a real offer. Sorry kid but be ready to compete."

they now realize they need to put proper supports/weapons/coaches around their star player (Caleb). What a joke that org was over the past few years.
If you say so. I don't think they've learned a single thing nor have they ever shown evidence of it. Would love to be wrong but I just don't see it. Yeah they brought in weapons that's a good step. Can anyone on the team block?

I honestly don't care about WIlson. I'm here to discuss Fields. They aren't the same, they weren't in the same system, they are different type QBs.

Sorry to be blunt but it isn't the same.
100% correct let's get off of Wilson, he isn't relevant to Fields career arc.

Meanwhile Pittsburgh does not look very good to me on offense and the fact they brought Arthur Smith in bothers me. I think Jaylen Warren and Freiermuth are probably the only Steelers worth owning, besides Fields for free.

Must be a slow news day.
It's very possible that you guys are right and this is spin/fake news but it just intresting to me that Poles traded him for peanuts. Is it possible that he's just sort of two-faced and he's happy and a good teamates when he's QB1 but when he's not he's a nightmare and the Bears just wanted him gone since they knew he'd react poorly to losing him job to Caleb?

I sorta just think the Steelers will be fine. Wilson has a better defense/o-line and by extension a better run game. I think they could easily win a wild card spot.

Well I wasn't talking about the weapons, but more of the organization and coaching/support. CHI has been a dumpster fire, a complete mess. As for weapons I would say it's a wash but I would agree DJM is better than Pickens but overall very similar weapons.

This is the first time Fields will actually get support and a competent coaching staff. Arthur Smith, surprisingly, is an upgrade over what CHI had last year. Scary.

Will Fields turn out to be a good QB? No idea, but he is in a better system and organization now.

Side Note: It took CHI screwing up Fields so bad that they now realize they need to put proper supports/weapons/coaches around their star player (Caleb). What a joke that org was over the past few years.
Well time will tell on Caleb but they may have made one of the greatest trades in NFL history.

Meanwhile Pittsburgh does not look very good to me on offense and the fact they brought Arthur Smith in bothers me. I think Jaylen Warren and Freiermuth are probably the only Steelers worth owning, besides Fields for free.
For sure Smith is somewhat concerning. Having said that both Wilson and Fields (like them or not) are better than Ridder who really struggled with the basics. I do expect PIT to be run heavy but ATL literally couldn't pass if they wanted to. So they HAD to run.

I'm very curious to see a Smith offense compared with what Canada ran last year. Lots to watch and see how things shake out. Could be scary, or could be scary good? Ha - or not.

Well time will tell on Caleb but they may have made one of the greatest trades in NFL history.
They lucked into that trade and getting the #1. No idea how the football gods let that happen. I almost feel for Caleb. I hope he can overcome the mess that is CHI. At least he has some very good pass catchers to help him succeed.

No dog in this fight but is it an excuse? They traded Fields then brought in two good vets at WR and RB then drafted a stud WR to pour salt on the wound.

I ask again, was it really an excuse?

One of the worse online in the NFL

Tex

they now realize they need to put proper supports/weapons/coaches around their star player (Caleb). What a joke that org was over the past few years.
If you say so. I don't think they've learned a single thing nor have they ever shown evidence of it. Would love to be wrong but I just don't see it. Yeah they brought in weapons that's a good step. Can anyone on the team block?
As a Bears fan, with navy/orange colored glasses, I do think Poles is changing the culture in the organization. I hope that Flus can stay long term and bring coaching stability to the program. Yes, I was one of the more vocal haters of Eberflus mid-season, but I do think players respect him and play hard for him (unlike Matt Nagy). This season will be key. If the Bears post a mediocre record and fire Flus after the season then they haven't learned a dang thing and should have cleaned house after the 23-24 season. IF that happens, we'll just end up with another regime that didn't draft the incumbent QB who wants to clean house (again) and start with 'their players'.

I think that narrative is overblown. It worked for the Niners with Montana/Young it worked with Mahomes/Alex Smith and quite a few other examples. It doesn't have to be a controversy if the organization handles it right. And it wouldn't need to last very long either. They didn't need to sell for peanuts in March.
I don't know that it has ever been attempted with a #1 overall pick? If you don't commit to that player you're doing him and the organization as a whole a disservice. Anyway, it's not really worth discussing. Fields has been traded. Time will tell if that was the right choice for the Bears. I'm going out on a meager limb to say it was.

Fields has been bad.

As a Bears fan, with navy/orange colored glasses, I do think Poles is changing the culture in the organization. I hope that Flus can stay long term and bring coaching stability to the program. Yes, I was one of the more vocal haters of Eberflus mid-season, but I do think players respect him and play hard for him (unlike Matt Nagy). This season will be key. If the Bears post a mediocre record and fire Flus after the season then they haven't learned a dang thing and should have cleaned house after the 23-24 season. IF that happens, we'll just end up with another regime that didn't draft the incumbent QB who wants to clean house (again) and start with 'their players'.
I'm a Bears fan, too, so my negative bias runs deep.

No dog in this fight but is it an excuse? They traded Fields then brought in two good vets at WR and RB then drafted a stud WR to pour salt on the wound.

Tex
They drafted a lineman in the top 10 and brought in DJ Moore the prior year.

I've also made countless posts in here regarding Fields' time to throw, which was the highest in the NFL. His line wasn't bad. He was bad.

I don't know that it has ever been attempted with a #1 overall pick?
no surely not, but I'm also suggesting, though I didn't say it in this post, but did in another, that they *would* commit to him but simply hold Fields in their pocket for longer. Maybe even a lot longer.

oh yeah has also worked for the niners lately.
If you don't commit to that player you're doing him and the organization as a whole a disservice. Anyway, it's not really worth discussing. Fields has been traded. Time will tell if that was the right choice for the Bears. I'm going out on a meager limb to say it was.

Fields has been bad. electric and game changing and has made steps
I would agree it would be bad to not commit to that player. And yeah I mean I just had to come in and drop my bomb since I've been mostly off the boards this offseason. Doesn't have to be picked apart that hard.

His good has far outweighed his bad and I honestly don't think it's close. At all. Pittsburgh did well here and even if I don't love their weapons, give it a year.

Plus, the way they find WRs in that town...who knows maybe I'm wrong about Pickens and maybe the rookie Roman Wilson should just be assumed to be a stud at this point. But also even if I'm right about Fields it isn't like he has to win the Super Bowl or MVP in year one or something. He could win the job middling his/their way to like 9-8 or something. Then bring in more weapons the next year and next thing you know the Bears are rebuilding still. Ok lol I'm done with that. Wishing the kid the best.

Tex
They drafted a lineman in the top 10 and brought in DJ Moore the prior year.

I've also made countless posts in here regarding Fields' time to throw, which was the highest in the NFL. His line wasn't bad. He was bad.
He was elite, not great not good, at creating time in and around the pocket with his feet. Except when he got himself sacked a billion times. But no the blocking was absolutely garbage. I assure you.

It's very possible that you guys are right and this is spin/fake news but it just intresting to me that Poles traded him for peanuts. Is it possible that he's just sort of two-faced and he's happy and a good teamates when he's QB1 but when he's not he's a nightmare and the Bears just wanted him gone since they knew he'd react poorly to losing him job to Caleb?
addressing the points one at a time - yes, it’s possible he didn’t get along with Dalton or Foles. He was a young star coming out of college as the 11th overall pick. He was probably headstrong and wanted to start, and he was stuck behind these two mediocre journeymen.

Hey, I don’t get along with everyone either. Not everyone is gonna get along.

And it might also be possible that Dalton, who’d washed out of Cinci in favor of young phenom Burrow, wanted to start and wasn’t entirely affable. Especially when he lost his job due to injury after going to Chicago expecting to be the starter. We don’t know what we don’t know.

Lots of things are possible. The timing seems extremely odd to me - I would think this would have come out years ago. Very little team drama stays secret these days, and if Dalton & Fields were fueding, we would have heard about it looong before now.

As for the last part, there was no universe in which they keep Fields if they draft Caleb. When they lucked into the 1.01, the writing was on the wall for Fields departure. That they ham-fisted trading him to the point that they were eviscerated in the media and everyone praised the Steelers for being geniuses makes me wonder why this came out when it did.

This leaked “story” comes off to me as bears front office trying to save face by insulting Fields’ character.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm going to go ahead and 100% agree with you here. If there is anything to him having an attitude problem in this manner, then I have no qualms saying let's ship him. I still would take my advice as for holding him and drafting Caleb *unless* I thought Fields really was some sort of 'toxic' and whatever that might mean to Poles or that he would otherwise blow up into a PR nightmare. If there is anything to that smoke then I can definitely start to come around. Like I said I've been unplugged this offseason.

But my premise above is that Fields is/was a standup guy (I didn't say it but was operating under the assumption) and team player all of that stuff such that a QB controversy would be ok for a couple months until some other QB somewhere breaks a hip or whatever and they make a move. But if he is a prima donna that's gonna freak out then IDK maybe let him. I'd rather lose out on a 6th rounder (who cares?) than let Pittsburgh or anyone get him that cheap. Let him ride the bench and rot. It's more likely that he doesn't freak publicly and someone pays more. But I can certainly understand just saying let's move him.

That is basically the same logic I am using when I talk about what Denver/Sean Payton did with Russell Wilson. I think he is/was a locker room/morale nightmare and they were happy to take the PR and $ hit to ship that problem out of town. So yeah again if there is more than smoke I can at least see the argument.

Even as a fan, I have zero insight whatsoever into whether Fields is a prima donna (for lack of a better term here) and not the good guy that we think he is.

As for the last part, there was no universe in which they keep Fields if they draft Caleb.
I think I'm the only one suggesting this, but honestly why not? I thought the NFL was a numbers game and a business. Why move that player for so cheap?

Come out and commit to Caleb and come out and tell the world "Fields is a great young QB and is available. He will continue to be a Bear until he isn't."

As a Bears fan, with navy/orange colored glasses, I do think Poles is changing the culture in the organization
As a neutral observer, I think Poles is part of the reason that team was a disaster.
Poles dismantled the team for the 22-23 season for good reason. Pace absolutely screwed the pooch handing out big contracts to vets like they were candy. When Pace/Nagy were on the hot seat, they doubled down on the bad contracts. It took a full year of dead money to right the ship.
Dude has his faults, but Ive been pretty impressed with what he's done with the team in 3 years.

Users who are viewing this thread