What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Fields, PIT (4 Viewers)

Did Fields restructure his deal? Over the Cap had him at 6 million this year for this season yesterday, Did he convert or has that changed? And good for the Steelers they got a steal. Now Over The Cap doesn't have any of what was listed yesterday just this year's number. Spotrac has the contract as 4.717 with his roster bonus. I think he will get that but it is not guaranteed,

This is even a better deal for the Steelers than I could imagine.
Fields is guaranteed $3.2 million this year by whomever holds his contract. The $4.7 million number that is listed for him as his total compensation for this season ($1.5 million was already paid) which was a portion of his signing bonus. PIT is on the hook for that $3.2 million unless they negotiate an extension that changes his salary (and when it is applied).

That doesn't seem plausible. It's a business. I'm sure the Bears liked Fields and wish him the best. But they are doing what is best for them. And with such parity in the league, most all the situations are ok.
Dukes was talking about this as well - he was incredulous, saying that while that’s nice; that the Bears also need to do what’s good for the Bears. If the Eagles offered more, Fields should be an Eagle.

Weird stuff.

Did Fields restructure his deal? Over the Cap had him at 6 million this year for this season yesterday, Did he convert or has that changed? And good for the Steelers they got a steal. Now Over The Cap doesn't have any of what was listed yesterday just this year's number. Spotrac has the contract as 4.717 with his roster bonus. I think he will get that but it is not guaranteed,

This is even a better deal for the Steelers than I could imagine.
Fields is guaranteed $3.2 million this year by whomever holds his contract. The $4.7 million number that is listed for him as his total compensation for this season ($1.5 million was already paid) which was a portion of his signing bonus. PIT is on the hook for that $3.2 million unless they negotiate and extension that changes his salary (and when it is applied).
It’s unbelievable that the Steelers have Russ + Fields for ~5M total.

Their GM should get a raise, because he’s a genius. If they can successfully develop Fields into a franchise QB, put that GM in the HOF.

At that price, what the heck was the point of trading Fields?
I know the answer, teams nowadays are absolutely petrified of any hint of a QB controversy.

But still, why not say, "hey Justin, you're apparently worth a 6th round pick, and we need QB depth. So, here's a clipboard. But don't worry, we're the Bears so this QB we're about to draft will probably suck, so you'll get another shot"

Bears and Commanders, man. Both franchises are acting like it's simply impossible for them to whiff on a top pick.
It's because players are soft and have fragile egos. There's zero reason you don't say to Fields: 'listen, we prefer to trade you but there's no market right now. We want you to start until week 8, than Williams will take over. Ball out and improve and we promise to not pick up your option so you can go to FA and pick your best fit'.
And, oh yeah, this would also lead to a better draft pick than a 6th in the form of comp picks.
Caleb Williams - "trade me"
Yeah, that wouldn't happen. If it did, then you trade down and take a less mentally soft player. I'm a fan of McCarthy myself.
Just tell Williams straight out in the pre-draft interview your plans: 'We want to give you time to develop and catch up with the NFL. We believe this will help you in the long run'. If he balks at this, well, you're also going to talk to a minimum of 3 other qbs so you can guage their interest . Oh yeah, you can also trade down a but and get some more picks to play with.
Obviously we can stop discussing it at some point because they've traded him, but you don't take a lesser player at #1 overall or trade down just because you're concerned about maximizing draft pick value for the QB you're giving up on.

No half measures. They needed to make a decision. They have. I think they made the right one. We'll see.

That doesn't seem plausible. It's a business. I'm sure the Bears liked Fields and wish him the best. But they are doing what is best for them. And with such parity in the league, most all the situations are ok.
Dukes was talking about this as well - he was incredulous, saying that while that’s nice; that the Bears also need to do what’s good for the Bears. If the Eagles offered more, Fields should be an Eagle.

Weird stuff.
It is possible that the other team was Minnesota. If that's the case I can understand not wanting to trade him in the division. Anything other than that though in inexcusable.

- They have until 5/2 to pick up his fifth year option for 2025 for a guaranteed $25.6 million.
- They have to decide that in May . . . NOT after the season plays out.
- If they decline his option, Fields would become an UFA for 2025. Any team could sign him at that point.
- If they pick up his option, he would become an UFA for 2026. Any team could sign him at that point.
The Steelers are going to decline Fields' 5/2 option, just like they refused to offer Wilson any future guaranteed money.

They've set up a one-year cage match between Wilson and Fields.

Whoever wins (assuming they play well) will get a longer-term Baker Mayfield-type deal.

The loser will get kicked to the curb before this time next year

I think we found out what most of the league thinks about Fields. That said, I can't believe the Jets weren't involved in this. It seems so cheap for a guy who was starting as of this past year. I would have figured Fields would fetch at least one third, if not more.

Also, what the Steelers are paying Fields/Wilson has no bearing on how they view the QBs. They got both for such a discount that it probably doesn't matter that the Steelers are on the hook for more of Fields's salary. I also think the extenuating circumstances and Denver's payment to Wilson is neither indicative of Wilson's market value nor an argument that the Steelers value Fields more than Wilson. The salary situation is almost sui generis and doesn't mean a lick in this case.

What it does mean is that Fields has a legit chance at a starting job if Wilson falters, which might very well happen.

Whoever wins (assuming they play well) will get a longer-term Baker Mayfield-type deal
Agree with your post except this part. I believe the decision will be based on Fields development behind the scenes vs Russ’ on-field play.

It’s not necessarily who plays better, it’s who the Steelers believe can be the QB of future. There could be some on-field competition, but if it comes to that, it stands to reason that means Russ lost.

Seems like Fields has the future edge based on age / athleticism, but there’s definitely a chance the Steelers believe he’s not recoverable & cut him loose.

My bet would be on Fields starting in 2025 & cutting Russ loose.

I would have figured Fields would fetch at least one third, if not more.
Most of the analysts I’ve read/heard agree. They’re putting the blame for his valuation on Poles incompetence, rather than what the league thinks of Fields.

If you’re going to buy a used car & the sticker is $1000, and you’re the only dude on the lot, you’re not gonna offer them $3K even if you think the car is worth that. You’re gonna offer them $700 & say “hey, take it or leave it, I’m your only customer”, knowing everyone else already bought cars.

What it does mean is that Fields has a legit chance at a starting job if Wilson falters, which might very well happen.
Some have suggested a gadget role - receiver/RB, maybe a little QB. Why not use him if you’ve got him?

But yeah - I could definitely see a scenario where by injury or poor play by Russ, Fields gets a crack at it this year. Especially in that division.

Most of the analysts I’ve read/heard agree. They’re putting the blame for his valuation on Poles incompetence, rather than what the league thinks of Fields.

Considering what Howell went for and comparing him to Fields, I'm pretty amazed by the sixth as the best they could do. Maybe it was. I don't know.

Considering what Howell went for and comparing him to Fields, I'm pretty amazed by the sixth as the best they could do. Maybe it was. I don't know.
I am as well. It is conditional, but it’s still laughably low value. I’m positive they’d have received more had they waited until day 2 of the draft to float him. This stikes me as incompetence by the Bears FO. Which probably shouldn’t be surprising, but after last year’s efforts perhaps we all gave them more credit than they deserved.

Whoever wins (assuming they play well) will get a longer-term Baker Mayfield-type deal
Agree with your post except this part. I believe the decision will be based on Fields development behind the scenes vs Russ’ on-field play.

It’s not necessarily who plays better, it’s who the Steelers believe can be the QB of future. There could be some on-field competition, but if it comes to that, it stands to reason that means Russ lost.

Seems like Fields has the future edge based on age / athleticism, but there’s definitely a chance the Steelers believe he’s not recoverable & cut him loose.

My bet would be on Fields starting in 2025 & cutting Russ loose.
Agree to disagree. IMO whoever gets the job for game one is the front-runner and it becomes their job to lose for this year and beyond.

I’m positive they’d have received more had they waited until day 2 of the draft to float him.

Hasn't that been a circumstance where teams lowball knowing that the offeror already has their QB of the future and needs to move the other? In other words, it's hard to move a guy day two when you already have drafted your starter and future QB. I remember that thought happening with Rosen, though Miami gave up a significant pick for him in that instance. The thought was that no team would step up with a great pick because now it's a buyer's market rather than a seller's market. That said, a sixth is so low in value, I'm not sure what kind of market it actually was for the Bears.

Weird stuff.
It is possible that the other team was Minnesota. If that's the case I can understand not wanting to trade him in the division. Anything other than that though in inexcusable.
but the Bears don't believe in Fields and thinks he stinks. Why wouldn't you want your division opponent with a subpar QB? Although it could also mean that they don't think that and wanted him gone so Williams is THE guy.

also I think there's a chance that Russ isn't around after this year.

I’m positive they’d have received more had they waited until day 2 of the draft to float him.

Hasn't that been a circumstance where teams lowball knowing that the offeror already has their QB of the future and needs to move the other? In other words, it's hard to move a guy day two when you already have drafted your starter and future QB. I remember that thought happening with Rosen, though Miami gave up a significant pick for him in that instance. The thought was that no team would step up with a great pick because now it's a buyer's market rather than a seller's market. That said, a sixth is so low in value, I'm not sure what kind of market it actually was for the Bears.
I think it basically tanked when they sat on their hands because they weren’t sure about Williams. Some said the fact that he didn’t work out at the combine combined with his alleged statements about not wanting to be drafted by the Bears gave them pause.

That was a mistake by the Bears, because in the name of due diligence, they let the market dry up.

As for the draft, ordinarily I’d agree - but in this case you have multiple teams needing QBs & needing to move up to get them. At some point the music stops & there are no chairs left.

Supply & demand still holds - I’m positive the Raiders would have paid more than a 6th on day 2 of the dratt if they couldn’t deal up. Can’t be confident going into the season with Minshew.

Plus, what’s the risk for the Bears? At worst they have a cheap backup that they cut loose to FA next year after declining the 5th year option. So it’s not like they’d be stuck with him if they couldn’t move him during the draft:

I see absolutely no downside to what they could have done that justifies taking only a conditional 6th.

Is Fields even worth a 3rd round rookie pick in a start 1QB dynasty league? Halfway through the season if Wilson is looking good, is Fields a drop or hold in 1qb leagues?

Is Fields even worth a 3rd round rookie pick in a start 1QB dynasty league? Halfway through the season if Wilson is looking good, is Fields a drop or hold in 1qb leagues?
IMO he’s a hold regardless, and if I could pick him up for a late 3rd or early 4th I’d certainly try. But that’s just me.

Fields cult is no joke

I'm nowhere near a member of the cult (see me posting Warren Sharp's EPA/att tweet where Fields has one of the worst first-round QB scores in that stat) but a fourth for Fields isn't that bad a trade. I wouldn't likely do it because I'd find somebody to draft that I liked better, but the upside there is nothing to sneeze at.

Some have suggested a gadget role - receiver/RB, maybe a little QB. Why not use him if you’ve got him?

But yeah - I could definitely see a scenario where by injury or poor play by Russ, Fields gets a crack at it this year. Especially in that division.
Slash's old team.
OC and red zone coordinator for Marcus- they'd run all sorts of gadgety mobile QB plays all summer only to force him to take a beating inside the pocket behind a bad line. They even had a college coach come consult one summer and still didn't use his mobility.

Anywho...it's possible. The knowledge is there, the history, the BIG athletic TEs to lead the way however Fields roams.

I doubt it. I expect Cordarelle to join the Steelers and he'd be a prerequisite too. Ya gotta have a big fella in the middle. The D can't be free to roam and match the trickery or they'll just sub smaller faster guys. If Patterson joins them then I'd still only guess ten plays a season.

Fields does not know when to run and when to pass. He is completely unaware of what strongside and weakside are and how if he rolls this way he's got options or that way he's limited. Where the back goes -know the plays, you're the QB- dictates a lot when he wants to roll. He needs tutelage. He needs Tomlin's tough love and teaching. I have no doubt Wilson (from his younger days) could teach him a thing or two also.

I think Fields fans should be happy he hasn't been smashed into having obvious nerves and doubt like so many young QBs and switch to being patient. Let the Steelers staff work on him, give em time to fix him up, then let's see.

He's not good as is. He's worth a sixth round pick. Let them rebuild him.

I already saw on X yesterday that he's going to the same guru coach that Caleb and Malik Willis and Jayden are. The Steelers probably super strongly recommended it but I have no idea if they did. Let him get fixed up

I'm nowhere near a member of the cult (see me posting Warren Sharp's EPA/att tweet where Fields has one of the worst first-round QB scores in that stat) but a fourth for Fields isn't that bad a trade. I wouldn't likely do it because I'd find somebody to draft that I liked better, but the upside there is nothing to sneeze at.
I'm not picking anyone out.
Sports reporters are on Twitter all thankful that the deal is done so the Fields peeps can shut up.

I didn't know what people thought of Fields. The NFL told us. Has been telling us for a while. People refuse to accept evidence.

Fields may still have upside. But I think this upside is completely overrated now. The upside fantasy owners have, where he becomes a decent enough passer so people get the cheat code QB. I get it.

The upside to be a championship caliber QB, and can run an offense, it appears the NFL isn't seeing that upside.

If he cannot anticipate, or trust the play, which are two things it appears he's not getting better at, and if he also had the magic trick of a vocal base of fans and media that will blame the coaching staff, not the player, why trade for him?

These Fields truthers are a year away from lost Japanese WW2 soldier comparisons.

Sports reporters are on Twitter all thankful that the deal is done so the Fields peeps can shut up.

That's been going on since the year he was drafted and hinges upon a sociopolitical element we can't discuss, but was thrust into the fore by Doug Farrar and other big-time sports writers who made him a cause celebre and condemned his detractors, painting them with crude brushstrokes rather than allowing their arguments to be taken at face value.

That was a big piece of this, and it hasn't gone away.

I do find the quote from the article hard to believe. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39747405/nfl-justin-fields-steelers-bears-trade-russell-wilson

The Bears had an additional offer with stronger draft capital from a team with an established starter, per a source, but chose to send Fields to Pittsburgh with the hope of putting the 25-year-old in a position to continue his development -- first as a backup to Wilson and eventually as a starter.

I find this angle almost comical...Fields played 3 average-to-below-years with losing teams and now they are gonna do everything possible to help him (as opposed to what is good for the team) as if he played for the Bears for 12 years and led them to 2 Super Bowl titles and want to thank him for a fantastic career...I'll stick with the facts...this is the best they could do.

Nice pick-up for the Steelers...they were not in a good spot at QB so now they have two opportunities to upgrade the position...I'm not a believer in either but I definitely see the logic given what their other options were this off-season.

I expect that neither Wilson nor Fields will be desirable for fantasy this season. It’s quite likely that Fields will be used in short yardage & goal line packages.

Slash's old team.
OC and red zone coordinator for Marcus- they'd run all sorts of gadgety mobile QB plays all summer only to force him to take a beating inside the pocket behind a bad line. They even had a college coach come consult one summer and still didn't use his mobility.

Anywho...it's possible. The knowledge is there, the history, the BIG athletic TEs to lead the way however Fields roams.

I doubt it. I expect Cordarelle to join the Steelers and he'd be a prerequisite too. Ya gotta have a big fella in the middle. The D can't be free to roam and match the trickery or they'll just sub smaller faster guys. If Patterson joins them then I'd still only guess ten plays a season.

Fields does not know when to run and when to pass. He is completely unaware of what strongside and weakside are and how if he rolls this way he's got options or that way he's limited. Where the back goes -know the plays, you're the QB- dictates a lot when he wants to roll. He needs tutelage. He needs Tomlin's tough love and teaching. I have no doubt Wilson (from his younger days) could teach him a thing or two also.

I think Fields fans should be happy he hasn't been smashed into having obvious nerves and doubt like so many young QBs and switch to being patient. Let the Steelers staff work on him, give em time to fix him up, then let's see.

I already saw on X yesterday that he's going to the same guru coach that Caleb and Malik Willis and Jayden are. The Steelers probably super strongly recommended it but I have no idea if they did. Let him get fixed up

• Laughing
Reactions: Bri

Slash's old team.

All-time great show...being the 6 Million Dollar Man and married to Farrah Fawcett...no human being ever got closer to being a God then Lee Majors.

Fields does not know when to run and when to pass
I believe this is a completely inaccurate statement.

I recall that early on they put shackles on him. He still managed 1100+ rushing yards in 2022. You don’t do that in the NFL by “not knowing when to run”

I recall that early on they put shackles on him. He still managed 1100+ rushing yards in 2022. You don’t do that in the NFL by “not knowing when to run”
I believe he the 2nd part of his statement is true. Does he decide to run when he should look to pass once he leaves the pocket? I would like to know if anyone has any specific stats on that. Was there open receivers when he decided to run? In other words, is he seeing the open receivers, or is he head down and hell bent on running?

Slash's old team.

All-time great show...being the 6 Million Dollar Man and married to Farrah Fawcett...no human being ever got closer to being a God then Lee Majors.
As a kid I loved the show but always wondered how the tech worked. Like sure he has a bionic arm, but how can he lift a car with it without a bionic shoulder/back/legs.

I’ve always struggled a little with suspension of disbelief in the name of good fiction.

Oddly enough I never wondered how the Incredible Hulk’s pants stayed on - I just accepted that as gospel.

Slash's old team.

As a kid I loved the show but always wondered how the tech worked. Like sure he has a bionic arm, but how can he lift a car with it without a bionic shoulder/back/legs.

I’ve always struggled a little with suspension of disbelief in the name of good fiction.

Oddly enough I never wondered how the Incredible Hulk’s pants stayed on - I just accepted that as gospel.

That is some serious in-depth thinking for a kid in the mid-70's...I wasn't that deep...I just wondered what Jamie Somers/Lindsey Wagner looked like in a bathing suit.

I believe he the 2nd part of his statement is true. Does he decide to run when he should look to pass once he leaves the pocket? I would like to know if anyone has any specific stats on that. Was there open receivers when he decided to run? In other words, is he seeing the open receivers, or is he head down and hell bent on running?
From what I saw he generally took off running when the pocket collapsed.

Were there times he missed a check-down? I’m sure there probably were. I’m not such a Fields truther to suggest he’s infallible.

It was a mixed bag though. There were also a few times last year where Fields scrambled out of a collapsing pocket to buy time, found Mooney deep, and *wonk* Mooney dropped the ball.

And on at least one of those I remember him having open field in front of him where he likely could have run for the 1st down.

unfortunately those show up in the stat book as incomplete passes, not as maturation by Fielfs.

From what I saw he generally took off running when the pocket collapsed.

Were there times he missed a check-down? I’m sure there probably were. I’m not such a Fields truther to suggest he’s infallible.

It was a mixed bag though. There were also a few times last year where Fields scrambled out of a collapsing pocket to buy time, found Mooney deep, and *wonk* Mooney dropped the ball.

And on at least one of those I remember him having open field in front of him where he likely could have run for the 1st down.

undoerunately those show up in the stat book as incomplete passes, not as maturation by Fielfs.
Didn't he bail the pocket a lot when thee was still a pocket? If so, did he do it with the intention of running whether there was someone open or not? I watched a couple of games and seemed to remember that, but I could be wrong. He decides to run from the snap on a lot of occasions. That I do remember.

Didn't he bail the pocket a lot when thee was still a pocket? If so, did he do it with the intention of running whether there was someone open or not?
I’m sure he did - I didn’t watch every game. But in the games I watched he did it much less than he did in 2022.

Fields cult is no joke
The Anti-Fields cult is also no joke.

True. It's been a while since it seems we've had a player with such a wide spectrum of passionate opinions. Super interesting. Some of it's college fandom of course. But not all. He's an interesting player.

I've been more on the slightly negative side that he doesn't seem to see the field well and relies too much on (elite) athleticism. But clearly, he's shown flashes.

At this price, I love the move for Pittsburgh.

On the being wary of trading Fields side, I get it.

There's no doubt he's got elite physical skills.

What's missing is the game doesn't seem to have clicked for him yet where it's slowing down. That might come.

And if it does, he'll be a menace with the physical skills you know are there.

Compared to a guy like Mac Jones who is just average on physical skills.

And it's clicked for him yet either.

If it does, he could be a good QB. But probably not great.

So there's likely less of a chance he turns into Brett Favre from Atlanta.

So if you have a choice in getting the guy out of the division, I get it.

It annoys me when a site like The Sporting News runs an article titled "Jimmy Garoppolo contract details" and then say in it "The contract's value hasn't been disclosed."

Anyone seen yet what Garoppolo signed for? I'd entertained the thought of Houston maybe getting him and putting him back in a Shahanan-style offense as a backup, but didn't know that he would be affordable enough. Wondering what the Rams paid him.

It annoys me when a site like The Sporting News runs an article titled "Jimmy Garoppolo contract details" and then say in it "The contract's value hasn't been disclosed."

Anyone seen yet what Garoppolo signed for? I'd entertained the thought of Houston maybe getting him and putting him back in a Shahanan-style offense as a backup, but didn't know that he would be affordable enough. Wondering what the Rams paid him.

Jacoby got 1 for 8mil (6.5 guaranteed) from the Pats...guessing it's right in that neighborhood.

The Anti-Fields cult is also no joke
Frankly their position has a lot more facts and evidence to play with.

Fields cult is feelings and upside, and Getsy didn't bootleg enough (spoiler: he did. He ran every option rollout boot on the book, more than other team. Fields still gets a pass).

I love the athletic guys. But they need to be able to hit layups and dunks. You have NO UPSIDE if you can't throw a slant on time.

He's probably playing for free so he can live in L.A.

Users who are viewing this thread