What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Fields, PIT (1 Viewer)

Jeez Steelers just owned the bears here
Turned Pickett and Trubisky QB room into Wilson/Fields for a small contract and at worst a future 4th round pick.
+ $25M

Unless they rework his future deal & extend him. Which is likely at more than just $25M total.
If they pick up the option or they extend (which would only be if it works out)
Seems a cheap way to test it out
Doesn’t work like that. They have to decide to extend him by 5/2 to a $25.5M guaranteed contract for 2025. Before he plays a snap for PIT.
Sure. But they could decline the option easily and then decide to sign him later…i doubt they pick up that option.

Jeez Steelers just owned the bears here
Turned Pickett and Trubisky QB room into Wilson/Fields for a small contract and at worst a future 4th round pick.
+ $25M

Unless they rework his future deal & extend him. Which is likely at more than just $25M total.
If they pick up the option or they extend (which would only be if it works out)
Seems a cheap way to test it out
Doesn’t work like that. They have to decide to extend him by 5/2 to a $25.5M guaranteed contract for 2025. Before he plays a snap for PIT.
Sure. But they could decline the option easily and then decide to sign him later…i doubt they pick up that option.
True, but 31 teams could also sign him at that point. PIT didn’t give up much to bring him in, so not as big a deal as if they shelled out Day 1 or Day 2 picks.

True, but 31 teams could also sign him at that point. PIT didn’t give up much to bring him in, so not as big a deal as if they shelled out Day 1 or Day 2 picks.
If they have to start him, it changes the calculus a little. Still just a 4th, but certainly more of an investment than a 6th.

It’ll be interesting to see how Russ performs. He didn’t have a whole lot on his deep ball last year.

Something tells me it’s gonna get interesting in PIT this year. Maybe a couple times.

At this point I’m kinda wondering why they didn’t just stick with Mason Rudolph.

If they have to start him, it changes the calculus a little. Still just a 4th, but certainly more of an investment than a 6th.

It’ll be interesting to see how Russ performs. He didn’t have a whole lot on his deep ball last year.

Something tells me it’s gonna get interesting in PIT this year. Maybe a couple times.

At this point I’m kinda wondering why they didn’t just stick with Mason Rudolph.
The potential for a season long QB controversy is brewing nicely in western PA.

Horrible trade by Chicago
Honestly feels like the entire way they went about it was horrible.

They waited until so many teams already signed guys while they reportedly sat on their hands.

it was down to what, Raiders or Steelers?

At that point might as well wait until the draft, and if the Raiders or Vikings can’t trade up, there’s your market.

I continue to be impressed by how poorly run the bears organization is when it comes to stuff like this.

Fields, though, will not compete with Wilson for a starting job, a team source told ESPN. Instead, Fields is expected to learn from the Super Bowl winner and nine-time Pro Bowler in Pittsburgh.

They waited until so many teams already signed guys while they reportedly sat on their hands.

At that point might as well wait until the draft, and if the Raiders or Vikings can’t trade up, there’s your market.

I continue to be impressed by how poorly run the bears organization is when it comes to stuff like this.
They were too confident.

Tex

Fields, though, will not compete with Wilson for a starting job, a team source told ESPN. Instead, Fields is expected to learn from the Super Bowl winner and nine-time Pro Bowler in Pittsburgh.

Every team that brings in a 2nd QB has come out with a canned statement like that.

Totally meaningless. If Russ is terrible, Fields will start.

The Steelers will trade him to the Vikings for a third. Fields will then beat the Bears twice in 2024.

As a Field’s owner, I couldn’t be happier!

Tex
It’s probably his best opportunity to start. While Wilson was better last year than 2022, he’s a deeply flawed QB. Definitely a shell of his glory days. Too slow to extend plays like he used to, and his arm is hardly a cannon.

I recall in a game or 2 before his benching, there was a Hail Mary attempt. He took a running start and chucked it with all his might. IIRC it was knocked down at the 7 yard line. Couldn’t get it into the end zone.

Probably best case landing spot. Maybe Raiders woulda been better. Maybe.

A sixth? I've been saying he's way overrated for so long but even I didn't think it would be that low
Chicago really Fd this up. They gave away their whole leverage.
Maybe
He's 10-28 record with 2300 passing yards avg and the offense looked better without him last year
Potential becomes less of a trading asset a few years in
There's already jokes on X that Arthur found his RB
Maybe it wasn't there

The Steelers will trade him to the Vikings for a third. Fields will then beat the Bears twice in 2024.
Now YHAT would be something.

I know that won’t actually happen, but if it did would the Steelers still owe a 4th if Fields hits the performance metrics?

Wow, a 6th is pretty awful. Thought for sure he would fetch way more than that. Cheap gamble for Pitt for both QB’s, probably won’t work out but it’s costing them very little to see.

Because he isnt very good.
And yet no one is saying Wilson or Fields are any good.

So why not just keep Rudolph & play for a high draft pick?

Compared to Mason? I'm flat out saying it. He is not a good qb. Even a washed Russ is better at actually playing qb than Rudolph.

WRT Fields, he certainly still needs developed, but his athleticism alone makes him a better dart to throw than Mason Rudolph.

As for why not pay Mason and suck instead? Mike Tomlin had an utter bromance going with Fields his draft year. Maybe he/potentially their scouts think his upside is higher than anything theyre likely to see the next couple drafts? They also have an owner who's on the record of openly being impatient about the lack of playoff wins since 2016. Sucking for a year with Mason Rudolph doesn't change that.

Point being...we probably are never going to know for sure why. But the team didnt even offer MR a contract, sooo....yeah.

Last edited:
Tomlin had an utter bromance going with Fields his draft year. Maybe he/potentially their scouts think his upside is higher than anything theyre likely to see the next couple drafts?
If that’s the case, one would think Fields would be in line to start, because if they see him as being potentially their QB of the future, they should develop him now.

Poles ate it here. Should have just kept him at these prices. Great move by the Steelers, wouldn't shocked if he ended up being their long term guy. They want to run the ball, take deep shots, and play defense.

Bears are my favorite team, but Steelers are my AFC team, so I can't be too upset about the landing spot. Steelers have 2 top-20 QBs in my opinion, the upside of the team has gone up a ton (and I don't think Pickett or Rudolph suck, they just lack upside) too bad they are in probably the toughest division in football.

Right now, I'm pretty confident the AFC North has 3 playoff teams, and I don't think any of them are Cleveland.

The Bears played this as arguably one of the worst hands of poker I have ever seen. Brutally bad. Like epic bad.
Market is telling you what he's worth. He's a backup NFL QB, that's it.
I think @FarFromHome nailed it.

The popular narrative is what @Mitchie said, but the reality is the Bears screwed the pooch here. Just about any other team would have gotten more.

Once they missed the early window, had the Bears waited until the draft, they could have netted more in return from whichever team was unable to trade up.

That seems rather obvious. By dealing him now, they helped lower his value.

Bad play. Like all-in with 7-2 off-suit bad.

Tomlin had an utter bromance going with Fields his draft year. Maybe he/potentially their scouts think his upside is higher than anything theyre likely to see the next couple drafts?
If that’s the case, one would think Fields would be in line to start, because if they see him as being potentially their QB of the future, they should develop him now.

We dont know he wont. Neither guy has taken a single snap under center for Pittsburgh yet.

The narrative the whole off season has been that they were going to bring in people to compete for the starting quarterback job (with Pickett). When Not Dan Marino whined his way off the team, they may just insert Fields into his spot in the contest and let the chips fall.

Kinda. Timing is everything. They needed to strike before all the free agent QBs signed to leverage the best they could. They obviously overvalued him. That's when u adjust a little. It was a unique situation because the entire world knew he was gonna get moved. Just played this poorly. Imo

My condolences to the Superflex players who have him rostered. I hope you didn’t give up much, but you probably did.
I inherited him in one league when I took over an orphan, and I traded for for him in another.

I cashed a ship last year in the league I traded for him, so honestly it is what it is. That team owes me nothing.

But it would be nice if he gets another opportunity.

I know that won’t actually happen, but if it did would the Steelers still owe a 4th if Fields hits the performance metrics?
Did the trade language say 51% of the Steeler Plays? If it did, I wouldn't want to touch that trade with a ten foot Poles.

The Bears played this as arguably one of the worst hands of poker I have ever seen. Brutally bad. Like epic bad.
I think @FarFromHome nailed it.

The popular narrative is what @Mitchie said, but the reality is the Bears screwed the pooch here. Just about any other team would have gotten more.

Had the Bears waited until the draft, they could have netted more in return from whichever team was unable to trade up.

That seems rather obvious. By dealing him now, they helped lower his value.

Bad play. Like all-in with 7-2 off-suit bad.
I'm not sure what I'm saying is the popular narrative, I feel like the minority in this thread. If they could've traded him for more they would have. Suppose they could wait maybe chance could get a little more later but doubt much more and they decided was time to move on

Did the trade language say 51% of the Steeler Plays? If it did, I wouldn't want to touch that trade with a ten foot Poles.
Don’t think those details are known yet. No idea what the threshold is.

I'm not sure what I'm saying is the popular narrative, I feel like the minority in this thread. If they could've traded him for more they would have. Suppose they could wait maybe chance could get a little more later but doubt much more and they decided was time to move on
Certainly the popular narrative on social media, and in many of the posts in this topic.

They are not gonna pick up the 5th year option.
However, they could still extend him afterwards right?
But yeah, kinda funny how they have both Russ and Fields for half what Brissett signed for this year.

Users who are viewing this thread