What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Fields, PIT (3 Viewers)

This makes sense as a plan B if Wilson doesn't work out or gets injured. Wilson only signed for this year and would be cheap to get rid of.
It still seems odd to me. Depending upon when the trade went down, Fields would have either had his rookie option declined by CHI, or PIT would have to decide pretty much right away if they wanted to tack on his 5th year for $25M. One would think a team wouldn't be willing to give a guy that hasn't taken a snap for them a $25M extension (when they don't even plan on starting him). If PIT ended up with JF, then after the season was over, they'd have two FA QB's. Anything is possible, and if the pick required to land Fields keeps plummeting, someone will throw out a low ball offer, and it might by the Steelers.

This makes sense as a plan B if Wilson doesn't work out or gets injured. Wilson only signed for this year and would be cheap to get rid of.
It still seems odd to me. Depending upon when the trade went down, Fields would have either had his rookie option declined by CHI, or PIT would have to decide pretty much right away if they wanted to tack on his 5th year for $25M. One would think a team wouldn't be willing to give a guy that hasn't taken a snap for them a $25M extension (when they don't even plan on starting him). If PIT ended up with JF, then after the season was over, they'd have two FA QB's. Anything is possible, and if the pick required to land Fields keeps plummeting, someone will throw out a low ball offer, and it might by the Steelers.
They can also restructure the 25M into a longer extension with different financial terms, no?

ETA: still a commitment, but perhaps not as daunting as “1/25”

They can also restructure the 25M into a longer extension with different financial terms, no?
Sure, they could. But if I'm Fields, whatever contract they offered me would include at least $25M for 2025. The point being, he would be guaranteed $25M for 2025 a few weeks from now if his option is picked up. Would the Steelers be willing to hand him $25M before he took a snap for them given his performance to date? If they brought him in as their 2024 starter, that would make a lot more sense. But they brought in Wilson (and moved off of Pickett) under the framework that WIlson will be the starter.

Sure, they could. But if I'm Fields, whatever contract they offered me would include at least $25M for 2025. The point being, he would be guaranteed $25M for 2025 a few weeks from now if his option is picked up. Would the Steelers be willing to hand him $25M before he took a snap for them given his performance to date? If they brought him in as their 2024 starter, that would make a lot more sense. But they brought in Wilson (and moved off of Pickett) under the framework that WIlson will be the starter.
Wilson is only getting $1.2 from the Steelers.

They could easily start Fields and make Wilson the backup. He’d be the cheapest backup in the league just about.

Given Wilson’s play over the last couple seasons is that really a shocking prospect?

I wouldn’t waste a year screwing around, but that’s just me.
1. Deal with WAS
2. MH2
3. Elite defensive talent at 10
4. Spend the plethora of picks from WAS to improve around Fields
5. Win

IMO this remains their best path. Drafting Caleb is rolling the dice & starting over. And if they miss, it’s gonna be a long, long rebuild.
And if they miss .. again .. on Fields while Caleb goes nuts lighting it up in Washington?

And if they miss .. again .. on Fields while Caleb goes nuts lighting it up in Washington?
That’s a possibility. But it seems like Caleb with that rag tag OL could be less likely to succeed than Fields with a boatload of picks, MH2 & DJM.

I’m trying to look at the big picture. If they bring in Caleb, there’s a good chance they’ll ruin him.

The chances of Caleb succeeding on another team seem greater than doing so on the Bears. The Bears are not “a QB away” as the saying goes.

Wilson is only getting $1.2 from the Steelers.

They could easily start Fields and make Wilson the backup. He’d be the cheapest backup in the league just about.

Given Wilson’s play over the last couple seasons is that really a shocking prospect?
That take isn't wrong, but that likely wouldn't sit well with Wilson. If he came to PIT and was told he'd be the starter and they immediately bring in Fields, he be disgruntled before he even went to mini camp and took any publicity photos in his new uni.

That’s a possibility. But it seems like Caleb with that rag tag OL could be less likely to succeed than Fields with a boatload of picks, MH2 & DJM.

I’m trying to look at the big picture. If they bring in Caleb, there’s a good chance they’ll ruin him.

The chances of Caleb succeeding on another team seem greater than doing so on the Bears. The Bears are not “a QB away” as the saying goes.
They went 7-10 with bottom tier QB play. They’ve added another solid vet WR. I think they’re exactly a QB away. Especially with the picks they have on top of it.

But, I know we won’t agree on this. I’m fascinated to see what they’ll do and can’t wait for it all to play out.

They went 7-10 with bottom tier QB play. They’ve added another solid vet WR. I think they’re exactly a QB away. Especially with the picks they have on top of it.

But, I know we won’t agree on this. I’m fascinated to see what they’ll do and can’t wait for it all to play out.
I’m just spitballing ideas and saying what I’d do if I were Bears GM. I think it makes a lot of sense to parlay the 1.01 into a ton of picks. The Bears have a bunch of needs on defense, special teams, and offensive line.

But I completely understand how others would disagree.

I’m just spitballing ideas and saying what I’d do if I were Bears GM. I think it makes a lot of sense to parlay the 1.01 into a ton of picks. The Bears have a bunch of needs on defense, special teams, and offensive line.

There have been several reports lately that teams aren't willing to give up a generational haul for Williams.

1. Deal with WAS
2. MH2
5. Win

IMO this remains their best path. Drafting Caleb is rolling the dice & starting over. And if they miss, it’s gonna be a long, long rebuild.
I agree with this. I’m not claiming to watch much college football, so I could easily be mistaken, but nothing that I have seen leads me to believe that Caleb has the mental strength to survive in the NFL, let alone in Chicago.

There have been several reports lately that teams aren't willing to give up a generational haul for Williams.
I think it depends on the team.

WAS just might overpay. I’m sure the Raiders or Vikings would overpay - especially the Vikings.

Last edited:

I don't believe this for a second. The talking heads just need something to yammer on about.

I don't believe this for a second. The talking heads just need something to yammer on about.
He has his pro day on the 20th. I'm interested to see who attends.

I concur.

I look at it this way. Let's say Caleb is a generational talent. I truly believe teams will look at Bryce Young situation and try to drive the price down. Over the years, teams have traded up for first-round QBs, but the results have been mixed. Some QBs thrive, while others falter. Since 2000, 14 teams have made this move, and the outcomes vary widely.

1. Deal with WAS
2. MH2
5. Win

Best plan I have seen here. #5 is debatable but it offers opportunity

I wouldn't give it a second thought. I read it as a sarcastic like. I have a take here and someone thinks it's stupid, i give that a like.

I'll agree if given a choice Caleb might want to work with Kingsbury. DJ and Keenan and a better chance to win now might make that wrong. I haven't read any investigative deep articles on Caleb. I have followed him locally for years though. I can tell you he has that Michael Jordan competitive gene. Cards, bowling, funny insults, rubber band shooting, he plays to win every time. If you asked me what college football player played the hardest last season, my answer is Caleb without a second thought. Leaves everything on the field. Last season was rough to watch. He was so good and his team just couldn't help him enough.

Certainly seems more likely than swap Fields for Caleb, & hope Allen elevates the team to being something better than it was.

I’m of the opinion that the bears need a lot more talent at a variety of positions. Best way to get that is to deal the 1.01

Others will disagree.

Certainly seems more likely than swap Fields for Caleb, & hope Allen elevates the team to being something better than it was.

I’m of the opinion that the bears need a lot more talent at a variety of positions. Best way to get that is to deal the 1.01

Others will disagree.
I'm of 2 minds.

I like Fields and think they can absolutely win with him. Week 4 against Denver was the only game Fields lost that wasn't against a playoff team. After week 3, they went 7-7 as a team, and all of the losses but 1 (Bagent game) were 1 score games. I don't think this team is far away at all, and I don't think a run at the division is out of the question, especially as Eberflus seems to REALLY have Ben Johnson's number. Getting a haul, Harrison (who I think is the best WR prospect since Calvin) and keeping Fields could be enough to push them to the top.

I think Caleb Williams is pretty close to a can't miss guy. He's a top-5 prospect of the last decade. I think he offers quite a bit more than Fields does. There's a very real chance he'll be the best QB in the division by 2025, especially given the supporting cast. I also think if they take Caleb, Bowers would be interesting at #9 to really push the weapons over the top.

This was a top-5 defense down the stretch. The secondary is excellent and had 1 hole (Jackson) which is now Byard. LB is in great shape. They just need the DL beyond Sweat to step up to truly be an elite defense. I think that's why Eberflus was retained, there was a clear improvement as the season went on. 7 of the last 8 games they held the opponent to 20 pints or less.

I think Fields is a top-20 NFL QB, a lot of teams have been either stupid in how they've approached the QB position this offseason, or the Bears are truly undecided. I'm fine with either decision at QB, but I think Williams is the more likely scenario.

Others will disagree.
If they think Caleb is really the guy, you draft him. A good QB has more of an effect on the team than several other decent players combined.
If they aren't convinced, trade the pick.
You don't pass on a QB you believe to be great, ever

What if they can't find a trade partner? (or only unfair offers). Do you take an substandard offer or do you just roll with Fields and draft MHJ?

pretty wild that fields is basically worth the same as Pickett. According the ringer Philly special pod, what the eagles gave is essentially the equivalent of a high 5th. So this is almost the same.

Fields is far from a guarantee but they seem to have done really well here

So Steelers are on the hook for $25M in 2025, and can cut Russ for nothing after a $1.2M contract.

Is that correct?
If they pick up his fifth year option.
I thought they had to do that by a certain date, which is coming up soon, no?
May 2nd.
Right. I can’t imagine they’d deal for him then cut him before then. Isn’t that $ guaranteed if he’s on the roster after that?

Jeez Steelers just owned the bears here
Turned Pickett and Trubisky QB room into Wilson/Fields for a small contract and at worst a future 4th round pick.
+ $25M

Unless they rework his future deal & extend him. Which is likely at more than just $25M total.
If they pick up the option or they extend (which would only be if it works out)
Seems a cheap way to test it out
Doesn’t work like that. They have to decide to extend him by 5/2 to a $25.5M guaranteed contract for 2025. Before he plays a snap for PIT.

Turned Pickett and Trubisky QB room into Wilson/Fields for a small contract and at worst a future 4th round pick.
+ $25M

Unless they rework his future deal & extend him. Which is likely at more than just $25M total.
Doesn’t work like that. They have to decide to extend him by 5/2 to a $25.5M guaranteed contract for 2025. Before he plays a snap for PIT.
What happens if they don’t? Fields becomes a UFA after 2024?

+ $25M

What happens if they don’t? Fields becomes a UFA after 2024?
Same as any other player that plays out a contract. They can use one of the tag options once he hits free agency.

Whatever happens, this situation just got a whole lot more interesting.

I’ve been trying to get Russell Wilson in a 16 team SF for a week now.

Owner wanted a future 1st. I wasn’t gonna pay that. Offered a future 2nd + some nice player options

Glad he rejected them all. Whew.

Users who are viewing this thread