What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Fields, PIT (3 Viewers)

Will CHI make a decision or trade Fields before draft day? If not, nothing is going to be announced until April 25. Though Fields could sabotage that if he says he won't play in CHI.
Why April 25? Talking heads on the little bird app have said that a decision will be made by next week.
Really? I haven’t seen that date bandied about, and pretty active on the ex-bird app.
Here's the piece that mentions next week:

My assumption is that there were a ton of trade talks during the Senior Bowl and that the Bears are gathering that information and planning to make a decision soon.

Will CHI make a decision or trade Fields before draft day? If not, nothing is going to be announced until April 25. Though Fields could sabotage that if he says he won't play in CHI.
Why April 25? Talking heads on the little bird app have said that a decision will be made by next week.
Really? I haven’t seen that date bandied about, and pretty active on the ex-bird app.
First day of the draft?
LOL. Duh, my bad.

I'm not expecting any decisions made next week and for sure not before the combine, which trumps the Senior Bowl in terms of teams discussing things with one another.

We likely don't know anything one way or the other until teams can actually trade a player, which is not till middle of March.

ETA-by decision I mean a trade worked out. I feel strongly the Bears already made a decision to move on.

I would think teams would want a deal done before or during Free Agency. If I'm on the other side of the trade I want a deal done sooner than later. Just makes sense so you can piece together your free agency targets. Get the big piece of who your QB is going to be done first. But that might not happen. I for sure would have a plan B/C in place and if the Bears take too long some teams will go plan B/C.

I would think teams would want a deal done before or during Free Agency. If I'm on the other side of the trade I want a deal done sooner than later. Just makes sense so you can piece together your free agency targets. Get the big piece of who your QB is going to be done first. But that might not happen. I for sure would have a plan B/C in place and if the Bears take too long some teams will go plan B/C.
I feel like if the Bears are going to get a high price, it will be quick. Because if you like Fields enough to trade a 1st, you gonna wanna do it right away, so you don't lose him.

I feel like if the Bears are going to get a high price, it will be quick. Because if you like Fields enough to trade a 1st, you gonna wanna do it right away, so you don't lose him.
Exactly. Waiting potentially drives the price up.

Here's the piece that mentions next week:

My assumption is that there were a ton of trade talks during the Senior Bowl and that the Bears are gathering that information and planning to make a decision soon.
If think it would at least be after the underwear Olympics if the bears are dealing Fields.

If they’re dealing the pick they should do it as soon as possible while everyone has as much shine as possible.

Exactly. Waiting potentially drives the price up.
Maybe and maybe not. I guess it just depends on the GM you are working with and the terms you are discussing. The Bears have teams and people they prefer to work with. You want the best for your team and roster but you also understand the timetables of the other team and franchise involved. And there is a point where a team has to close the shop and choose another option. Justin Fields is an option but there are others and teams will be moving those options in a general direction at the same time or the very least have plans in place.

I don't know if there is a bunch of back and forth. I think teams kind of know beforehand what it is going to take or at the very least the ballpark of the terms. The when can be just as important for the Bears and the other team involved. I think you might even consider the quicker the better terms. Especially if you have decided strongly as to what you are willing to accept.

Doing a rewatch of every Justin Fields snap week by week, here's my breakdown of Fields 2023:

Week 1 vs GB-I'd call this an ok game from Fields. Game plan seemed poor, as it was mostly just checkdowns with nowhere near enough designed runs. Ultimately, they fell way behind, and Fields forced some passes, though the pick six was arguably on Mooney. Lotta drops in this game by the Bears, especially an awful one by Claypool.

Week 2 vs TB-This was a bad game for Fields. The screen pass pick six was an awful play call, but Fields should have audibled or just not thrown it and taken off. Again, not enough runs, but the passing was inaccurate overall, and the decisions were bad. Bears probably win this game if Fields plays better.

Week 3 vs KC-Despite the low stat line, I thought Fields played well in this one. The Bears pass catchers were blanketed all game, and when they weren't they had a bad DJ Moore drop, and a Fields miss on a tough throw to Scott. Bears never really had the ball as KC had long drive after long drive. McDuffie completely erased Mooney in this one.

Week 4 vs Den-This was a great Fields game in my eyes. Accuracy was on point. Getsy also called a good game. The fumble returned for a TD was unfortunate, but I'd put the blame on the OL for that one. Bears D completely fell apart in the 2nd half. Payton beat Eberflus in the 2nd half.

Week 5 vs Was-Fields was good in this one, though DJ Moore was mostly running wide open all day. Still, Fields didn't make any mistakes, and made good decisions.

Week 6 vs Min-Fields was ok before he got hurt. His INT wasn't his fault, and Fields accuracy and decision making was fine. This wasn't a good Getsy game, as he seemed to have trouble adjusting to the Vikings blitzes. Bears were WAY too run heavy in this one.

Week 11 vs Det-I would honestly call this game just ok. Getsy seemed more willing to call Fields number on the ground with 18 runs, most of which were designed. Fields accuracy was on point in this game, but he got lucky with 2 dropped INTs on bad decisions.

Week 12 vs Min-I'd say this was an ok game from Fields, and an awful game from Getsy, who seemed to really have issues with anything Flores threw at him. Fields was very accurate in this one but was also playing a little panicked as the Vikings kept blitzing and making Fields run for his life, or quickly find checkdowns or throw it away. Bears should have run it more in this one, perhaps an overreaction to the prior game.

Week 14 vs Det-This was a good game for Fields, despite Getsy not really calling a good game, particularly in the redzone. Fields was accurate, made good decisions, and that was despite some egregious drops out of Kmet and especially Mooney. Another good game on the ground for Fields as well.

Week 15 vs Cle-This game was interesting. I remember watching it live thinking Fields played well and was let down by the players around him, and upon rewatch, Fields played bad and got zero help from anyone. Fields wasn't accurate and made some bad decisions, but there were also some awful drops. Mooney and Scott both dropped long potential TD passes, and Tonyan dropped a 20+ yarder. Browns doubled Moore and stacked the box and dared them to beat them, and Fields made some bad plays, and when he made good plays, balls were dropped.

Week 16 vs Ari-This was a good game for Fields. Ideal usage on the ground, and while the INT was a bad throw, it was a clean game otherwise. Also notable as DJ Moore got banged up.

Week 17 vs Atl-Fields was great in this game. Accurate, mad great decisions, and was a factor rushing. This was the kind of game where you really see his upside. Numbers would have been even stronger if Scott hadn't dropped a potential TD. This was another game where DJ Moore was open all day.

Week 18 vs GB-Thought Fields was ok in this one. Getsy was WAY too run heavy in this one. Fields was accurate and made good decisions but lacked volume with only 16 attempts. Packers were doing all they could to keep Fields in the pocket, and Getsy seemed content to run into 8-man boxes.

So overall I saw:
2 great games
4 good games
5 ok games
1 bad game
1 awful game

My overall conclusion is that Fields was a great runner and an ok passer, who needed more weapons, and more consistency. The idea that Fields can't pass is wrong, he showed a high ceiling when the passing and rushing work together, and I'd say trade value wise, he should be on that 1st-2nd border. Fields accuracy is underrated, and it seemed like his best games were the games he had time/was asked to throw downfield. With a better supporting cast, I think Fields could have a Jalen Hurts level ceiling.

Getsy's play calling was hit and miss in my opinion, but when it was bad, he never seemed to adjust. I wouldn't be excited about that hire at all if I were a Raiders fan, but it's also wrong to say he was the entire issue. I didn't comment a ton on the OL, but pretty bad. The interior was constantly pushed back, and the OTs were just ok, though in theory as 25 and 23 year old starters, they should improve.

The RBs probably did a good job getting the yards they did, and if they can get better interior play, and another WR or 2, this could be a good offense under Waldren. I'd be curious if Tyler Lockett could end up in Chicago if he's a cap casualty.

Doing a rewatch of every Justin Fields snap week by week, here's my breakdown of Fields 2023:

Week 1 vs GB-I'd call this an ok game from Fields. Game plan seemed poor, as it was mostly just checkdowns with nowhere near enough designed runs. Ultimately, they fell way behind, and Fields forced some passes, though the pick six was arguably on Mooney. Lotta drops in this game by the Bears, especially an awful one by Claypool.

Week 2 vs TB-This was a bad game for Fields. The screen pass pick six was an awful play call, but Fields should have audibled or just not thrown it and taken off. Again, not enough runs, but the passing was inaccurate overall, and the decisions were bad. Bears probably win this game if Fields plays better.

Week 3 vs KC-Despite the low stat line, I thought Fields played well in this one. The Bears pass catchers were blanketed all game, and when they weren't they had a bad DJ Moore drop, and a Fields miss on a tough throw to Scott. Bears never really had the ball as KC had long drive after long drive. McDuffie completely erased Mooney in this one.

Week 4 vs Den-This was a great Fields game in my eyes. Accuracy was on point. Getsy also called a good game. The fumble returned for a TD was unfortunate, but I'd put the blame on the OL for that one. Bears D completely fell apart in the 2nd half. Payton beat Eberflus in the 2nd half.

Week 5 vs Was-Fields was good in this one, though DJ Moore was mostly running wide open all day. Still, Fields didn't make any mistakes, and made good decisions.

Week 6 vs Min-Fields was ok before he got hurt. His INT wasn't his fault, and Fields accuracy and decision making was fine. This wasn't a good Getsy game, as he seemed to have trouble adjusting to the Vikings blitzes. Bears were WAY too run heavy in this one.

Week 11 vs Det-I would honestly call this game just ok. Getsy seemed more willing to call Fields number on the ground with 18 runs, most of which were designed. Fields accuracy was on point in this game, but he got lucky with 2 dropped INTs on bad decisions.

Week 12 vs Min-I'd say this was an ok game from Fields, and an awful game from Getsy, who seemed to really have issues with anything Flores threw at him. Fields was very accurate in this one but was also playing a little panicked as the Vikings kept blitzing and making Fields run for his life, or quickly find checkdowns or throw it away. Bears should have run it more in this one, perhaps an overreaction to the prior game.

Week 14 vs Det-This was a good game for Fields, despite Getsy not really calling a good game, particularly in the redzone. Fields was accurate, made good decisions, and that was despite some egregious drops out of Kmet and especially Mooney. Another good game on the ground for Fields as well.

Week 15 vs Cle-This game was interesting. I remember watching it live thinking Fields played well and was let down by the players around him, and upon rewatch, Fields played bad and got zero help from anyone. Fields wasn't accurate and made some bad decisions, but there were also some awful drops. Mooney and Scott both dropped long potential TD passes, and Tonyan dropped a 20+ yarder. Browns doubled Moore and stacked the box and dared them to beat them, and Fields made some bad plays, and when he made good plays, balls were dropped.

Week 16 vs Ari-This was a good game for Fields. Ideal usage on the ground, and while the INT was a bad throw, it was a clean game otherwise. Also notable as DJ Moore got banged up.

Week 17 vs Atl-Fields was great in this game. Accurate, mad great decisions, and was a factor rushing. This was the kind of game where you really see his upside. Numbers would have been even stronger if Scott hadn't dropped a potential TD. This was another game where DJ Moore was open all day.

Week 18 vs GB-Thought Fields was ok in this one. Getsy was WAY too run heavy in this one. Fields was accurate and made good decisions but lacked volume with only 16 attempts. Packers were doing all they could to keep Fields in the pocket, and Getsy seemed content to run into 8-man boxes.

So overall I saw:
2 great games
4 good games
5 ok games
1 bad game
1 awful game

My overall conclusion is that Fields was a great runner and an ok passer, who needed more weapons, and more consistency. The idea that Fields can't pass is wrong, he showed a high ceiling when the passing and rushing work together, and I'd say trade value wise, he should be on that 1st-2nd border. Fields accuracy is underrated, and it seemed like his best games were the games he had time/was asked to throw downfield. With a better supporting cast, I think Fields could have a Jalen Hurts level ceiling.

Getsy's play calling was hit and miss in my opinion, but when it was bad, he never seemed to adjust. I wouldn't be excited about that hire at all if I were a Raiders fan, but it's also wrong to say he was the entire issue. I didn't comment a ton on the OL, but pretty bad. The interior was constantly pushed back, and the OTs were just ok, though in theory as 25 and 23 year old starters, they should improve.

The RBs probably did a good job getting the yards they did, and if they can get better interior play, and another WR or 2, this could be a good offense under Waldren. I'd be curious if Tyler Lockett could end up in Chicago if he's a cap casualty.
I think that's a pretty solid analysis. Thanks for going back, rewatching and putting it into words.

I remember watching that game and thinking “man, where was this play-calling all year?!”

This was also a game where the sort of ragtag OL was actually gelling and giving him a little time to work.

This is the dude Fields could be weekly in a good offense with a solid pass pro OL.

And as we’ve seen this level of play in prior seasons i don’t think it can be written off as a fluke.

Fields is good enough to win with, and the Bears are in a unique spot to build a solid team around him and are on the verge of becoming competitive for the next several years, but of course it's the Bears so they are probably going to mess this up and then repeat the process again a few years from now.
Yep - they’ll hit the reset button, probably miss on a QB, and spend the next decade regretting giving up on Fields.

I remember watching that game and thinking “man, where was this play-calling all year?!”

This was also a game where the sort of ragtag OL was actually gelling and giving him a little time to work.

This is the dude Fields could be weekly in a good offense with a solid pass pro OL.

And as we’ve seen this level of play in prior seasons i don’t think it can be written off as a fluke.
I'm intrigued with the possibility that Waldron can actually coach up and develop Fields. Geno regressed a bit last year, but with Waldron in Seattle he got a ton of production out of a very mediocre NFL QB.

So overall I saw:
2 great games
4 good games
5 ok games
1 bad game
1 awful game

GB you dude, but I would have just said the three Hail Mary's for penance and called it a day.

So overall I saw:
2 great games
4 good games
5 ok games
1 bad game
1 awful game

This is awesome. Not only would I fail at performing this task...I didn't even read this entire post. But I have full faith in your overall evaluation, and that's what I'll take with me. Again, thank you.

So overall I saw:
2 great games
4 good games
5 ok games
1 bad game
1 awful game

What a fantastic post, thanks @travdogg

Fields is as good as gone. Probably a 2nd and maybe a 5th with it. No one is giving up a first, unless there's a bidding war.

So overall I saw:
2 great games
4 good games
5 ok games
1 bad game
1 awful game

What a fantastic post, thanks @travdogg
Here in CLE, I only saw wk15. It was a strange game that we ended up winning, but should have lost. I recall feeling that the Bears would find a way to blow it, and they did. I really can't blame Fields, though.

Bears general manager Ryan Poles suggested the team could trade Justin Fields before free agency begins on March 13.

If the Bears plan on selecting a quarterback with the first pick in the NFL Draft, Poles said he wants to “do right” by Fields and deal him to another team in March. Everything points to the Bears starting over at QB after Fields’ uneven three-year run in Chicago. One of the league’s premiere rushing threats, the Bears could get trade offers from several teams in the coming weeks. Offseason rumors have linked Fields to QB-needy teams like the Falcons, Steelers, and Patriots.

Interesting...
DraftKings Sportsbook removed its prop bet about Fields' next team, so that could signal that a trade is coming soon.
There's so much conflicting information out there. I'm still saying this is a Poles masterclass in driving up the value of both the #1 pick and Fields
It could very well be. I'm not a sportsbook guru or anything, but I feel like DraftKings removing the prop bet means there is legitimate information out there now.

The article tried to play down the video, but claiming "ready to go home?" is a reference to a special teams players preparing to make a tackle doesn't jive for me.

Interesting...
DraftKings Sportsbook removed its prop bet about Fields' next team, so that could signal that a trade is coming soon.
There's so much conflicting information out there. I'm still saying this is a Poles masterclass in driving up the value of both the #1 pick and Fields
It could very well be. I'm not a sportsbook guru or anything, but I feel like DraftKings removing the prop bet means there is legitimate information out there now.

The article tried to play down the video, but claiming "ready to go home?" is a reference to a special teams players preparing to make a tackle doesn't jive for me.
Yeah, that explanation was suspect for sure.

Interesting...

Yeah, that explanation was suspect for sure.
And honestly if JF does move on ATL would be my preferred destination. I think it would be good for both Fields and Atlanta and I wish him the best.

It would be harder to root for him in Pittsburgh and to a lesser extent Vegas.

Interesting...
There's so much conflicting information out there. I'm still saying this is a Poles masterclass in driving up the value of both the #1 pick and Fields.
I think most front-office people in the NFL have made their assumption as to what the Bears are doing. It's more about the decision-makers in other buildings now.

Interesting...
There's so much conflicting information out there. I'm still saying this is a Poles masterclass in driving up the value of both the #1 pick and Fields.
I think most front-office people in the NFL have made their assumption as to what the Bears are doing. It's more about the decision-makers in other buildings now.

100%

What is he worth in a trade? I heard 2nd-3rd back during the season, closer to the Draft and for teams in the back end of the 1st that doesn't want to mortgage the farm for a QB prospect, he must look a little appealing. You have 2 years with the 5th year option to play him and see what you have. I'm not sure Chicago did enough to make him flourish. I'd like to see him have another opportunity to start and then see if he's a journeyman or one of 32 NFL starters.

If the Bears can secure a 2025 1st, they should make the trade, eventually these 1st Rd picks they have been collecting have got to pay off.
Trading down is an option but not many seem thrilled with what they did last year.

I hope he Poles this off. Keeps Field's and as a result of all the Field's trade hype drives up the first pick in the draft offering.

(does that even mean anything anymore?)

The short answer is "no," and I'm about as neutral a Twitter/X observer as you'll get. You'll usually get an answer that suits people's politics. I've noticed that the check means very little these days. I think you just shell out the money for it.

(does that even mean anything anymore?)

The short answer is "no," and I'm about as neutral a Twitter/X observer as you'll get. You'll usually get an answer that suits people's politics. I've noticed that the check means very little these days. I think you just shell out the money for it.
Since Twitter became X I have to admit my usage has shrunk exponentially. I heard that this was the case so I guess I'll just ignore the blue check thing from now on.

That said, this dude sounds pretty adamant about it being real, so we'll have to see what the days (or weeks) bring?

I don't know who CJ Golson is but he's got the blue check mark (does that even mean anything anymore?)

:shrug:
This is the same guy who said a few years ago that Marquise Brown was retiring to become a DJ or something like that.
These accounts come out of the woodworks when there's a big decision imminent. Throw out a hot take and if it lands they've got instant credibility. If it doesn't, they get hammered with dummies throwing receipts. Just another form of engagement farming.

That said, this dude sounds pretty adamant about it being real, so we'll have to see what the days (or weeks) bring?

We will have to see, for sure, but a healthy dose of skepticism is warranted. Who knows? Maybe he got the scoop. I doubt it and doubt it seriously.

We will have to see, for sure, but a healthy dose of skepticism is warranted. Who knows? Maybe he got the scoop. I doubt it and doubt it seriously.

Reading comments from his followers it sounds like he just throws darts after some compelling information. Hits and misses. I think he's gonna get lucky here and hit though. There is strong evidence Chicago wants to move him fast. There's weak evidence, but still evidence, that his agent told him he's going to Atlanta. :shrug:

I don't know who CJ Golson is but he's got the blue check mark (does that even mean anything anymore?)

:shrug:
For $8 a month your dog or pet fish can have a blue checkmark, throw in $24 a month and all 3 of you can.

Golston's nonsense was repeated in the Steeler's thread this morning and I'll say here what I said there which that I don't understand why anyone would follow someone like this or believe what they are saying is real. (No offense)

He's part aggregator, part throw a bunch wild stuff up against the wall guy and the stuff people like him throw up against the wall is generally from a rumor they then try and get ahead of the curve as passing off as a fact. Like say the Fields video comes out about him saying "I'm going home" at the end so this guy thinks he'll look like he had a scoop if he says it's a done deal.

Huge easy tip to avoid falling for this stuff.

If some rando like this ever actually got a real scoop on something the big heavy real NFL insiders would ferret that story out in minutes and be reporting on it.

I'd like to see him have another opportunity to start and then see if he's a journeyman or one of 32 NFL starters.
IMO he’s already proven to be better than about 1/4 of the scrubs that started games last year - maybe even 1/3. It’s a much higher number than 32 when merely talking about teams. Seems like a logical approach considering many of those teams starters also weren’t good enough to be 1 of 32 NFL starters.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread