What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Fields, PIT (4 Viewers)

Have no idea if this guy is the Bears future. Have no idea if this guy is a legitimate NFL starting QB. I do know that for the rest of this season he is a legit fantasy QB. Finish strong buddy.
IMO a smart team will use Fields correctly, build a competent OL, and will win plenty of games with him. He’s a legitimate talent. And he has legitimate arm talent as well.

Have no idea if this guy is the Bears future. Have no idea if this guy is a legitimate NFL starting QB. I do know that for the rest of this season he is a legit fantasy QB. Finish strong buddy.
IMO a smart team will use Fields correctly, build a competent OL, and will win plenty of games with him. He’s a legitimate talent. And he has legitimate arm talent as well.
He has rare tools to work with as an NFL QB, combo of unreal rushing with a great arm, pair him with a competent OC and to the moon!

He has rare tools to work with as an NFL QB, combo of unreal rushing with a great arm, pair him with a competent OC and to the moon!
How many OCs has he sent to a black hole?

When you're getting your 5th divorce you might be the problem and not the spouses.

When you're getting your 5th divorce you might be the problem and not the spouses.
TBD, has there ever been a competent OC/Head Coach/Plan or O line since he has been in Chicago?

So far it’s been a steady stream of tomato cans. I don’t put it on Fields. The talent is there.

It was on display today. The OL was not.

TBD, has there ever been a competent OC/Head Coach/Plan or O line since he has been in Chicago?
Think you can go back a lot longer than the Fields era for that question

LOL. Bill Lazor and Luke Getsy. Lazor was unfortunate enough to hitch his wagon to Matt Nagy. Ironically, during the 4 (?) game stretch that Nagy gave up play calling duties, the offense significantly improved. Getsy had the luxury of Aaron Rodgers during his GB tenure. It's definitely not a murderers row of offensive genius, that's for sure.

LOL. Bill Lazor and Luke Getsy. Lazor was unfortunate enough to hitch his wagon to Matt Nagy. Ironically, during the 4 (?) game stretch that Nagy gave up play calling duties, the offense significantly improved. Getsy had the luxury of Aaron Rodgers during his GB tenure. It's definitely not a murderers row of offensive genius, that's for sure.
Exactly.

Exactly.
Could you imagine if Fields had someone like Shane Steichen?

Exactly.
Could you imagine if Fields had someone like Shane Steichen?
More or less time spent on IR you think?

Why would the coach have anything to do with that?
I feel like there are a lot of posters suggesting the OC or HC is the problem for Fields and they should design more running plays for him. That’s great and all, but those QBs get hurt. Richardson being Steichen’s latest example.

Fields needs to learn how to win from the pocket, play in rhythm and on time with his receivers. Until he does that he will not be successful as an NFL QB.

I feel like there are a lot of posters suggesting the OC or HC is the problem for Fields and they should design more running plays for him. That’s great and all, but those QBs get hurt. Richardson being Steichen’s latest example.

Fields needs to learn how to win from the pocket, play in rhythm and on time with his receivers. Until he does that he will not be successful as an NFL QB.
I agree, he’s had a lot of injuries already. There are two factors in the decision to re-up his deal - will he be good enough, and can he stay healthy?

Im one of the posters saying the OC is the problem.

And I’m not at all saying they should design more runs for him.

I’m saying a good team can build a better pass protecting OL so he doesn’t get creamed in .3 seconds every time he drops back to throw.

I would go so far as to advocate that Fields should run less - the sad reality is that he’s running out of survival rather than lack of arm talent.

The link I posted above shows he’s got arm talent.

But when they needed 20+ yards, no one was open & that line wasn’t going to hold another tick. So he took off running. It’s a skill set that he should use, absolutely.

his arm is fine though. fields could be unlocked to be an NFL superstar. I have zero doubt.

I agree, he’s had a lot of injuries already. There are two factors in the decision to re-up his deal - will he be good enough, and can he stay healthy?
And both of those questions are answered by the same thing: the quality of their OL & willingness to protect him.

If they spend a 1st on a QB & don’t remarkably upgrade that OL, they’re just going to ruin another talented QB. The big picture matters.

And both of those questions are answered by the same thing: the quality of their OL & willingness to protect him.

If they spend a 1st on a QB & don’t remarkably upgrade that OL, they’re just going to ruin another talented QB. The big picture matters.
Yesterday was the first time they had a healthy OL all season, and the C goes down.

If they drafted Harrison and the best OL available, that’s not a bad thing.

Im one of the posters saying the OC is the problem.

And I’m not at all saying they should design more runs for him.

I’m saying a good team can build a better pass protecting OL so he doesn’t get creamed in .3 seconds every time he drops back to throw.

I would go so far as to advocate that Fields should run less - the sad reality is that he’s running out of survival rather than lack of arm talent.

The link I posted above shows he’s got arm talent.

But when they needed 20+ yards, no one was open & that line wasn’t going to hold another tick. So he took off running. It’s a skill set that he should use, absolutely.

his arm is fine though. fields could be unlocked to be an NFL superstar. I have zero doubt.
Fantasy Pros actually has him at one of the higher times per throw in the league at 2.7 seconds. The average time between snap and throw/pressure.

I don't want more designed runs. Juuuuust a handful a game so defensive coordinators have to practice it. Maybe 3 a game. I'd simplify the passing offense. Give him a two read then run scheme. I'd want a majority of his rushing yards on his two read and run scrambles. Kid has a big arm. I'd use it. Not all QBs need to be able to check down to the 6th option on the passing routes. 2. Run.

Fields owners, has your confidence in starting him increased, decreased, or stayed the same since this time last week?

This is a Kyler vs Fields post

Okay, Mr. Fields.....time to shut the naysayers up in primetime Monday Night Football.

I have 3 games hinging on your performance.

Show out.
Same. Just 2 matchups for me - but nonetheless, need a nice showing.

Thankfully it’s in the dome for this frigid November night in the Midwest

Every time I bother starting this guy, he ishes his britches.

Lesson is finally learned. Kyler getting cemented in the lineup the rest of the way for that team. "Youre welcome for the 50 point output next week." in advance, Fields owners.

Last edited:
They won the game, but he just doesn't look like the guy. They got four turnovers on defense and needed a late FG to win 12-10. His fumble in the red zone when it was 9-3 in the 4th quarter was a horrible mistake. Great defensive play, yes, but an NFL QB has to know the game situation and protect the ball better rather than being reckless under the guise of "just trying to make a play." I just don't think he gets it.

I think this kinda goes without saying. if the offense cant put up points and you have a shot at the would be best prospect in the NFL draft why would you stick with mediocrity. In my mind if you have the #1 pick there really isnt a decision to make. Moving on from Fields is the only decision. If they have a top 5 pick it gets more interesting because they have to trade assets away to get a top 1 or top 2 pick.

Tough to say definitively based on camera angles, and perhaps it was Fields unwillingly to fire, but the play calling was inexplicable. Only took a shot downfield when the game was on the line. You’ve got a great WR and a QB with a big arm. Pull the trigger on something long. Again, that could have been Fields but it sure looked like their answer to a heavy blitzing team was to throw it short and wide. KOC had a few plays that the Vikings ran that made sense for a mobile QB. Do similar. 3rd and 15 and you run TE screen a bajillion times. Utter lack of creativity. How many designed runs? Not enough.

Fields may not be the guy but Caleb won’t be either if they don’t improve the scheme.

Every time I bother starting this guy, he ishes his britches.

Lesson is finally learned. Kyler getting cemented in the lineup the rest of the way for that team. "Youre welcome for the 50 point output next week." in advance, Fields owners.
Fields is on bye next week. Then you’ll need to start him W14 when Kyler is on bye. :p

I think this kinda goes without saying. if the offense cant put up points and you have a shot at the would be best prospect in the NFL draft why would you stick with mediocrity. In my mind if you have the #1 pick there really isnt a decision to make. Moving on from Fields is the only decision. If they have a top 5 pick it gets more interesting because they have to trade assets away to get a top 1 or top 2 pick.
You can’t keep letting the rest of your team go while searching for a qb.

They won the game, but he just doesn't look like the guy. They got four turnovers on defense and needed a late FG to win 12-10. His fumble in the red zone when it was 9-3 in the 4th quarter was a horrible mistake. Great defensive play, yes, but an NFL QB has to know the game situation and protect the ball better rather than being reckless under the guise of "just trying to make a play." I just don't think he gets it.
This is a fair take and why its so frustrating to figure out who JF is. The play calling is horrible and doesn't play to his strengths. I think JF plays how Getsy wants most of the time, but the frustration and Hero ball come into play. It's just a bad situation right now and I feel its best for JF to get a fresh start with a play caller who is willing to cater to his strengths. JF will never win a championship as a pocket passer.

This is a fair take and why its so frustrating to figure out who JF is. The play calling is horrible and doesn't play to his strengths. I think JF plays how Getsy wants most of the time, but the frustration and Hero ball come into play. It's just a bad situation right now and I feel its best for JF to get a fresh start with a play caller who is willing to cater to his strengths. JF will never win a championship as a pocket passer.
Agreed. If they are going to stick with Fields next year AND they do get the 1st pick (thanks to Carolina), the smart thing would be to draft Marvin Harrison Jr and hire a head coach who is a QB/offensive guru. If Fields then cannot thrive in 2024 under those circumstances, then at least you can say you did as much as you could to help him on the way out. While I don't think he's the guy, he has shown enough at times to not give up on him quite yet.

Weird in that, you would think the Bears would call offense in the best way to evaluate Fields... but instead, they play "safe" game managing stuff life a team that thinks they are sneaking into the playoffs.

Can't make a decision on a franchise QB with 25 screen passes.

Weird in that, you would think the Bears would call offense in the best way to evaluate Fields... but instead, they play "safe" game managing stuff life a team that thinks they are sneaking into the playoffs.

Can't make a decision on a franchise QB with 25 screen passes.
A good manager doesn't ask someone to do something when they know they aren't capable of doing it.

What are the chances the Giants could land fields without giving this year’s first?

Raiders could be really interesting.

Tampa?

He's in a tough spot. Glimpses and only x amount of time and talent to see what they have but he makes plenty of errors and is in year 3. Hard to pass up a legit #1 if that's what Caleb is especially as he'll need to be paid after next year. 4 years of rookie contract Caleb is pretty hard to pass up.

He's in a tough spot. Glimpses and only x amount of time and talent to see what they have but he makes plenty of errors and is in year 3. Hard to pass up a legit #1 if that's what Caleb is especially as he'll need to be paid after next year. 4 years of rookie contract Caleb is pretty hard to pass up.
What if CHI just stinks at QB development... then it doesn't really matter what they do.

What if CHI just stinks at QB development... then it doesn't really matter what they do.
You'd think that QB development is a coaching issue and not a front office issue. But CHI's track record with QBs has stunk throughout modern NFL history, so...

Users who are viewing this thread