What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Fields, PIT (5 Viewers)

sounds like he avoided serious injury (no ligament damage requiring surgery)

Sucks though - would have liked to have had him against the Raiders.

Sigh
As cautiously optimistic as I am I don't even think we can say that yet. We won't really know anything until that swelling goes down and they can take a look.
I thought I’d read that he had an MRI this AM.

The latest update is they’re going to rehab it, which means no surgery.
Ya he did. Which is good. MRIs aren't always 100% though. Swelling can give inaccurate diagnosis sometimes. Passing the first MRI is huge. Next step is how hand looks structurally once swelling goes down. Sure wish it was the non throwing hand.
Same. But this is definitely best case scenario for now. No breaks, 1st MRI indicated no torn tendon.

Long as he can avoid surgery we’re reportedly looking at 2-4 weeks

Dropped in short bench league. Most Twitter doctors think still 4-8 weeks.

Curious if I should even bother adding and putting on IR spot.

So how did Bagent look? A UDFA out of Shepherd is not much of a pedigree.
At first I was hopeful. He got rid of the ball quickly which is the opposite of what Feilds does. But after he got hit a few times he looked like he was throwing with his pants on fire. Can't say that I blame him. Maybe he'll be better with first team reps this week but I'm not holding my breath. Full disclosure: I'm a Bears fan but I picked up the Raider's D this week.

He's a good story, but he's not an NFL starting QB. He has a chance to carve out a decent career as a backup QB. Once a team had film on him, he got exposed.

The things he does well are good qualities for a backup, but he isn't guiding a team to a playoff win.

He's a good story, but he's not an NFL starting QB. He has a chance to carve out a decent career as a backup QB. Once a team had film on him, he got exposed.

The things he does well are good qualities for a backup, but he isn't guiding a team to a playoff win.
Well. I care about him as a fantasy qb only. He left that Minnesota game early and was on pace for at least decent day. The previous two weeks he was a monster with passing yards of 335 and 285. Monster. So I hear what your saying I'll counter with upon return he is a weekly top 5 fantasy QB for rest of year. Next year? Who cares. Ha ha

Well. I care about him as a fantasy qb only. He left that Minnesota game early and was on pace for at least decent day. The previous two weeks he was a monster with passing yards of 335 and 285. Monster. So I hear what your saying I'll counter with upon return he is a weekly top 5 fantasy QB for rest of year. Next year? Who cares. Ha ha
I think Stats was talking about Bagent, not Fields, not being a NFL starting QB. (Although there's plenty of similar comments upthread about Fields.)

I think Stats was talking about Bagent, not Fields, not being a NFL starting QB. (Although there's plenty of similar comments upthread about Fields.)
Appreciate it. I totally read that wrong. My bad.

NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo reports the Bears “hope” Justin Fields (thumb) is able to return in Week 10 against the Panthers.
Garafolo noted that Fields still needs to make a lot of progress to return for Chicago’s matchup with the Panthers on Thursday, but there is at least a chance he is back next week. Fields suffered the thumb injury in Week 6 and has been sidelined ever since. Tyson Bagent will continue to start until Fields is back in the lineup. The UDFA rookie has mostly appeared out of his depth in the NFL, tossing one score to three interceptions. His presence under center is a notable downgrade for the offense.

NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo reports the Bears “hope” Justin Fields (thumb) is able to return in Week 10 against the Panthers.
Garafolo noted that Fields still needs to make a lot of progress to return for Chicago’s matchup with the Panthers on Thursday, but there is at least a chance he is back next week. Fields suffered the thumb injury in Week 6 and has been sidelined ever since. Tyson Bagent will continue to start until Fields is back in the lineup. The UDFA rookie has mostly appeared out of his depth in the NFL, tossing one score to three interceptions. His presence under center is a notable downgrade for the offense.
Are the Fields owners in this thread so lucky?

I’d take a week 12 return by this point, as long as he’s 100% in time for the playoffs. But then he has these defenses: 15Browns, 16Zona, 17ATL. Did I just talk myself into finally dropping him if he doesn’t get right next week?

Reading between the lines, it sounds like a GTD as of right now. JF wants to play, but isn't 100%. Medical hasn't fully cleared him.

Bears should let Bagent get one more start. Its not like JF was crushing it this year before the injury and has now missed almost a month of football. Starting him at less than 100% with no real practice against the worst team in the NFL with no real playoff hope just isn't smart player management.

But its the Bears, so...

I'm over streaming QB matchups. If he practices in full and is active I'm starting him.
Exactly this for me too. QB has been such a weak link for me after Fields went down.

Managed to finally snag a decent starter in Purdy after weeks of suffering streaming the Loves and Staffords of the world, but I hate carrying two QBs in redraft. Going to drop Brock like a hot rock once Fields takes the field.

I'm over streaming QB matchups. If he practices in full and is active I'm starting him.
Exactly this for me too. QB has been such a weak link for me after Fields went down.

Managed to finally snag a decent starter in Purdy after weeks of suffering streaming the Loves and Staffords of the world, but I hate carrying two QBs in redraft. Going to drop Brock like a hot rock once Fields takes the field.
Blurbs saying he obviously wants to play, but might not be 100% healthy gives me pause. We may have to wait one more week with u starting Purdy and me starting Kyler Murray.

I'd normally be inclined to agree with you, but the frequency at which starting QBs are getting hurt this year has me keeping the Purdy level backup on my roster. Last thing I want is for Fields to come back, drop my backup, have Fields get hurt again, and leave me stuck plucking Kenny Pickett or Mac Jones off the WW to start in the fantasy playoffs. While normally I'd use the roster spot for a DST to block an opponent, etc. the prudent play is to have a backup QB you can trust to at least not bomb your chances.

Paraphrasing

Reporter: "Why specifically isn't JF medically cleared?"

Flus: "Everything... His ability to function as a QB."

Nailed it.

If JF doesn't play this week, there is something deeper going on in Chicago.
Curious why you think that? Breaking the thumb on your throwing hand as a QB seems like a big deal. He's missed four games. Playing the qb position is hard enough, playing it at 90% with your throwing hand seems silly. Waiting until u can grip the football 100% seems logical. I don't know anything really about his current health other then he seems to be practicing at some capacity. Imo

Curious why you think that? Breaking the thumb on your throwing hand as a QB seems like a big deal. He's missed four games. Playing the qb position is hard enough, playing it at 90% with your throwing hand seems silly. Waiting until u can grip the football 100% seems logical. I don't know anything really about his current health other then he seems to be practicing at some capacity. Imo
The week following the injury the Bears said it wasn't a consideration to put him on IR. Called it a week-to-week injury and even expressed optimism of JF playing after week 7.

Bears didn't rule him OUT week 8 against the Chargers until the Friday before game because he had a chance to play. They said the swelling was down and he was improving every day.

Week 9 he was ruled out early in the week.

Week 10 he was doubtful and a GTD. But on a short week it was viewed as better to give him one more game and another 10 days of rest.

Now week 11 - 10 days after a GTD call and hes back to unsure if he will play?

So looking at this from the macro view. Bears medical staff didn't consider IR because it initially looked like it would be less than a 4 week injury. 5 Weeks later he still isn't cleared. Flus had that bizarre presser where he couldn't answer what's medically uncleared with Justin and made a comment about how Justin needs to feel ready.

All of this is happening while the guy's future as a QB1 hangs in the balance, along with the coaching staff and maybe even the GM's future. This is a massive evaluation window for all them and the fact that we can't figure out what is going with him leads me to believe there is more at play than we know at the moment.

The week following the injury the Bears said it wasn't a consideration to put him on IR. Called it a week-to-week injury and even expressed optimism of JF playing after week 7.

Bears didn't rule him OUT week 8 against the Chargers until the Friday before game because he had a chance to play. They said the swelling was down and he was improving every day.

Week 10 he was doubtful and a GTD. But on a short week it was viewed as better to give him one more game and another 10 days of rest.

So looking at this from the macro view. Bears medical staff didn't consider IR because it initially looked like it would be less than a 4 week injury. 5 Weeks later he still isn't cleared. Flus had that bizarre presser where he couldn't answer what's medically uncleared with Justin and made a comment about how Justin needs to feel ready.

All of this is happening while the guy's future as a QB1 hangs in the balance, along with the coaching staff and maybe even the GM's future. This is a massive evaluation window for all them and the fact that we can't figure out what is going with him leads me to believe there is more at play than we know at the moment.
Nothing ominous about being hopeful from team doctors side of things. Ever break a bone in your body? How about a hand? How about a hand in a career where gripping is completely dependent upon success? I just think teams and players always want to play, but sometimes the healing process for the human body doesn't. I get what your saying though. I just don't think it's as shady as your laying out. All my opinion of course and I am in no way invalidating your opinion or trying to make u feel uneasy. I respect your opinion. I just see it slightly different.

He broke his thumb. You can probably put away the tinfoil hat.
I think the GM has his thumb on the scale. Its a lose lose for him. JF comes back and plays poorly, he loses all trade value. Comes back and plays decently then he's in the same situation we were in going into the 2023 draft.

Otherwise its a medical staff that isn't great and/or a player and coach who won't go unless they are 100%. Neither of those are great options.

I think the GM has his thumb on the scale. Its a lose lose for him. JF comes back and plays poorly, he loses all trade value. Comes back and plays decently then he's in the same situation we were in going into the 2023 draft.

Otherwise its a medical staff that isn't great and/or a player and coach who won't go unless they are 100%. Neither of those are great options.
He broke. His thumb.

Nothing ominous about being hopeful from team doctors side of things. Ever break a bone in your body? How about a hand? How about a hand in a career where gripping is completely dependent upon success? I just think teams and players always want to play, but sometimes the healing process for the human body doesn't. I get what your saying though. I just don't think it's as shady as your laying out. All my opinion of course and I am in no way invalidating your opinion or trying to make u feel uneasy. I respect your opinion. I just see it slightly different.
I'll blame Flus as much as anyone else. The guy constantly tells us how close JF is to coming back. His update Monday was that "He looks really good and looks good throwing the ball". Then downplays it that he doesn't want to start him until he gets in a full team practice. Its just the state of the Bears is Chaos.

Rodgers played through a broken thumb. He didn't look great during that stretch, but he's a gamer. The Bears and JF, just aren't.

He broke. His thumb.
Best to shut him down for the year.

Users who are viewing this thread