What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Fields, PIT (5 Viewers)

Prepare to be underwhelmed. I think the Bears are dumb for even considering to play him. He didn’t pass a lot when he was healthy and had Mooney, and I can’t see him running for a lot because of the shoulder.

Prepare to be underwhelmed. I think the Bears are dumb for even considering to play him. He didn’t pass a lot when he was healthy and had Mooney, and I can’t see him running for a lot because of the shoulder.

I thought he would light up the Atlanta defense, and he put up a pretty average game. That was the best match-up on the slate until week 17.
Oh the other hand, if Fields plays, I'm going right back to Kmet as my TE.

I thought he would light up the Atlanta defense, and he put up a pretty average game. That was the best match-up on the slate until week 17.
Even though he had 18 carries (far too many), I thought he started to run hesitant. Maybe the punishment is taking a toll.

I wish they would sit him for one more week. I have Geno and Deshaun as well, all with their own set of risks.

i think he plays. i think they scale back the designed runs... but he'll still run a lot because his first read likely wont be open. hopefully he's smart about sliding or running out of bounds because that shoulder injury is going to linger the rest of the season and hurt like hell on every hit even with pain meds. i'd start him over most everyone outside the top5

I have Tua but he's up against the Niners. Not sure what to do if Fields plays.
Im in the exact same situation, Tua or Fields .
All things being equal i feel like i should go with my head and not my heart, the safer option ... Tua has the weapons ,Fields doesnt , add in the uncertainty of the injury and whether Fields will even finish ,its too risky , i need to win out to have a shot in the playoffs

Even though he had 18 carries (far too many), I thought he started to run hesitant. Maybe the punishment is taking a toll.
He had cramps. That's why he was grabbing his legs for seemingly the entire second half of that game.

He had cramps. That's why he was grabbing his legs for seemingly the entire second half of that game.

I kind of don't want my QB getting cramps because he's doing his thing this time of the season. I think he may have been over-used the two previous games. At any rate, he should have fresh legs again.

All things being equal i feel like i should go with my head and not my heart, the safer option ... Tua has the weapons ,Fields doesnt , add in the uncertainty of the injury and whether Fields will even finish ,its too risky , i need to win out to have a shot in the playoffs

I’d start fields 10 out of 10 times given the matchups and the practice statuses. Fields is just a better fantasy qb than tua on any given day and the 49ers are just brutal. Packers gave up a lot to hurts and sanders. Fields should get 70 yards rushing

Justin Fields (shoulder) was removed from the Week 13 injury report and will play against the Packers.​

Trevor Siemian, Fields' backup, was ruled out, meaning Nathan Peterman will hold the clipboard this week. Fields missed Week 12 with the shoulder issue. He got in limited practices leading up to the game, so it's likely he was close to playing last week but his team gave him extra time to fully recover. He should be near full health this week, putting him back in the top five fantasy options at quarterback.
RELATED:
Dec 2, 2022, 2:53 PM ET

Two full practices in a row.

Not even on the injury report?

Damn. Was all set to start Geno, but against the GB run D, and in a league where total points is a key tie breaker, I don't know how I sit him unless there is some pre game chatter on limiting his runs or whatever. I don't remember Hurts running into too many Packers on his runs last week.

Fields is a first class bum how can anyone recommend starting him?! Tua has the cheetah, fields doesnt. Tua has Waddle, fields doesn't. Tua has the highest 3rd down completion percentage in the entire league. fields doesnt. the protege will crush the mentor. this would be a classic case of miami coaches know what shanny is going to do at EVERY TURN. SF defense is brutal? hmm, who've they beaten again????????????? bobs high school. wayne valley high school. no name teams. they've lost to bears, broncos friggin damn falcons beat them by 14 pts LOL,they lost to chiefs in an epic landslide, beat the Lambs, lame cardinals, lame chargers, beat the 'Aints..I mean seriously anyone saying you should start fields over Tua needs to have their head examined. Tua has beaten all-world teams. his quiver has many, many arrows. you think one person can handle the Cheetah?! lol. good luck.
Miami is going to pound SF into bits. but hey, go start fields and his 38% completion percentage, rely on his running which will end one day soon when he gets the snot knocked out of him and he becomes a *cough* pocket passer. this guy sucks. he'll be on milk cartons in 2 years, out of the league.
wow and someone said they start fields 10 out of 10 times. let's see what happens this weekend!

Fields is a first class bum how can anyone recommend starting him?! Tua has the cheetah, fields doesnt. Tua has Waddle, fields doesn't. Tua has the highest 3rd down completion percentage in the entire league. fields doesnt. the protege will crush the mentor. this would be a classic case of miami coaches know what shanny is going to do at EVERY TURN. SF defense is brutal? hmm, who've they beaten again????????????? bobs high school. wayne valley high school. no name teams. they've lost to bears, broncos friggin damn falcons beat them by 14 pts LOL,they lost to chiefs in an epic landslide, beat the Lambs, lame cardinals, lame chargers, beat the 'Aints..I mean seriously anyone saying you should start fields over Tua needs to have their head examined. Tua has beaten all-world teams. his quiver has many, many arrows. you think one person can handle the Cheetah?! lol. good luck.
Miami is going to pound SF into bits. but hey, go start fields and his 38% completion percentage, rely on his running which will end one day soon when he gets the snot knocked out of him and he becomes a *cough* pocket passer. this guy sucks. he'll be on milk cartons in 2 years, out of the league.
wow and someone said they start fields 10 out of 10 times. let's see what happens this weekend!
You said what i felt like saying lolol
i agree with everything you said except the part about Fields being a bum, i see him as a unique athlete.

Is this comedy? Have you been following this guy pre injury? I agree that having Tua would be a difficult decision, but it’s not as crazy as you seem to think.

The GB defends is very leaky and the Bears D is much worse. It should = a fairly high scoring game.

Two full practices in a row.

Not even on the injury report?

Damn. Was all set to start Geno, but against the GB run D, and in a league where total points is a key tie breaker, I don't know how I sit him unless there is some pre game chatter on limiting his runs or whatever. I don't remember Hurts running into too many Packers on his runs last week.
That’s just it, did you guys see Hurst light it up last weekend?

I know I’m playing him over T Lawrence in 2 leagues, D Jones in another. All 3 all semi final matchups in the FFPC. Let’s go!

You start drinking early?

I just put him in my lineup. Considering how poorly the Packers contained Hurts, Fields may set another record on the ground. Going for upside over floor (my other choices are JimmyG & Brady)

I know I’m playing him over T Lawrence in 2 leagues, D Jones in another. All 3 all semi final matchups in the FFPC. Let’s go!
Good luck this week and I'm facing similar choice(s) in my 5 FFPC playoffs leagues with Fields. One of those I went with Allen, another I'm going with Lamar, I'm going Fields over Cousins for sure in another and that leaves me down to my two choices left and both of those calls are down to Fields vs Trevor. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. Lawrence has the best matchup possible and he played brilliantly last week, best he's ever looked. Tough call, I might end up splitting the difference but really can't be sure yet, keeping an open mind for updates before I decide. For sure if I was not worried about his running less or early exit he'd be in 4 lineups, over Lamar, over everyone but Allen. I had 1-2 weeks when Fields was rolling where I started him over Lamar, but I can't bring myself to do it over Allen even if he's been more good then great for fantasy the last few weeks.

Good luck this week and I'm facing similar choice(s) in my 5 FFPC playoffs leagues with Fields. One of those I went with Allen, another I'm going with Lamar, I'm going Fields over Cousins for sure in another and that leaves me down to my two choices left and both of those calls are down to Fields vs Trevor. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. Lawrence has the best matchup possible and he played brilliantly last week, best he's ever looked. Tough call, I might end up splitting the difference but really can't be sure yet, keeping an open mind for updates before I decide. For sure if I was not worried about his running less or early exit he'd be in 4 lineups, over Lamar, over everyone but Allen. I had 1-2 weeks when Fields was rolling where I started him over Lamar, but I can't bring myself to do it over Allen even if he's been more good then great for fantasy the last few weeks.
To be honest, come Sunday, I bet I split the difference and roll with T Law in one and Fields in the other. I had Diggs on both of those teams, so off to a good start!

Good luck!

Yeah man I didn't quite have the nerve to start him over Lamar in a couple spots and wish I had (during that stretch). This week I have 3 of those FPC semis where I need to advance and am going with Lamar over Fields in one, Fields over Geno Smith in another and over Jimmy G in another. I'd expect the GB offense to be able to eat a bit even with a banged up Rodgers and that Fields will need to ball out to stay competitive. I'm afraid of the risk of him exiting early of course but I'd rather be wrong about that than bench him and have him run for 150 and 2 TDs plus whatever passing garbage. In one of those semis in particular I really need a ceiling game across the board to advance against a really tough opponent (that just beat me 192-173 in week 12).

I am also going Fields over Geno and over Jimmy G in 3 other semis where I already have the 1 or 2 seed. So I guess that is 5/6 spots here I mentioned where I'm starting Fields. I have Mahomes and Tua ahead of him in 2 other spots as well.

Yeah man I didn't quite have the nerve to start him over Lamar in a couple spots and wish I had (during that stretch). This week I have 3 of those FPC semis where I need to advance and am going with Lamar over Fields in one, Fields over Geno Smith in another and over Jimmy G in another. I'd expect the GB offense to be able to eat a bit even with a banged up Rodgers and that Fields will need to ball out to stay competitive. I'm afraid of the risk of him exiting early of course but I'd rather be wrong about that than bench him and have him run for 150 and 2 TDs plus whatever passing garbage. In one of those semis in particular I really need a ceiling game across the board to advance against a really tough opponent (that just beat me 192-173 in week 12).

I am also going Fields over Geno and over Jimmy G in 3 other semis where I already have the 1 or 2 seed. So I guess that is 5/6 spots here I mentioned where I'm starting Fields. I have Mahomes and Tua ahead of him in 2 other spots as well.

Going Fields over Geno in Main Event, but I run two FPC teams with friends where we have to decide between Burrow and Fields. We're underdogs, so we might roll with Fields.

Going Fields over Geno in Main Event, but I run two FPC teams with friends where we have to decide between Burrow and Fields. We're underdogs, so we might roll with Fields.

Also going Fields over Geno right now although the one thing I fear is GB just absolutely killing the clock. Both of those teams are going to run. Game could be over in 2 hours.

I would not bench Burrow for Fields. KC/Cinci game has the feel of a nobody punts or goes for FGs and last one with the ball wins. Burrow has 400 yard/4 TD upside and hell he can run too.

Burrow seems like the jackpot start here.
KC shootouts are fun. I like fields this week but coming off injury without Mooney seems riskier than Burrow who’s getting Chase back.

If I had both I’d start Burrow without much hesitation.

Fields is in a tough matchup.
He is?
GB’s defense is still fairly solid. Good pass rush, decent secondary. And fields lost Mooney, his favorite target. And Chicago isn’t particularly deep at WR, to say the least.

Mostly I’m concerned that the Pats won’t put up enough points to make it a big statistical game for Fiel

KC shootouts are fun. I like fields this week but coming off injury without Mooney seems riskier than Burrow who’s getting Chase back.

I don't have that decision anywhere but I agree.

My debate is Dak or Fields.
If I knew that there was no risk of re injury to Fields in game or that his running may be dialed back to reduce risk to the shoulder then it would be an easy decision.

The vibe sense is that Fields is a low end QB #1 (perhaps 10-12th overall this week). Downside is no Mooney, and restricted shoulder and a few less scampers perhaps. Plus, the possibility of him being knocked out of the game lingers. 20 points would not be out of the realm.

My choices in different leagues rank them:

Tua/Watson
Fields
Brady

Last edited:

I’d start fields 10 out of 10 times given the matchups and the practice statuses. Fields is just a better fantasy qb than tua on any given day and the 49ers are just brutal. Packers gave up a lot to hurts and sanders. Fields should get 70 yards rushing
Interesting decision. As good as the SF D is, they have played a lot of soft offenses this year. Mahomes didn’t have much trouble and his weapons are not as good at Miami’s.
The vibe sense is that Fields is a low end QB #1 (perhaps 10-12th overall this week). Downside is no Mooney, and restricted shoulder and a few less scampers perhaps. Plus, the possibility of him being knocked out of the game lingers. 20 points would not be out of the realm.

Tua/Watson
Fields
Brady
I think Tua is the safe play, fields is the upside play. It’s too bad Watson is playing Houston in his first game back. There will be rust and possibly a lot of Chubb running.

Interesting decision. As good as the SF D is, they have played a lot of soft offenses this year. Mahomes didn’t have much trouble and his weapons are not as good at Miami’s.

Tua/Watson
Fields
Brady
I think Tua is the safe play, fields is the upside play. It’s too bad Watson is playing Houston in his first game back. There will be rust and possibly a lot of Chubb running.
I read an article recently suggesting rust didn't happen to many QB's from Luck, to Vick, to P Manning. It's more a Chubb and slow second half that concerns me.

Their secondary isn’t great either, and good QBs can take advantage of that.

What we do have is a little banged up.

I expect Tua to have a nice game. JimmyG isn’t a bad start either, considering.

Fields is in a tough matchup.
He is?
GB’s defense is still fairly solid. Good pass rush, decent secondary. And fields lost Mooney, his favorite target. And Chicago isn’t particularly deep at WR, to say the least.

Mostly I’m concerned that the Pats won’t put up enough points to make it a big statistical game for Fiel

I don't have that decision anywhere but I agree.
AC changed “the pack” to “the Pats”

Guess I was talking about the Pats a lot on Thursday. lol

Most of us who own him likely have another option. Prior to his injury he was on fire and a must start.
We kind of expected he would miss this week given his bye next week to get 2 more weeks to fully heal.
Well he is off the injury report and sounds like he is starting.
Bears Packers is like their own mini super bowl.
Hurts gagged them on the ground and Fields has been the better runner this year albeit with a worse line and fewer weapons now that Mooney is out especially.

This is an injury to his non throwing shoulder but is not healed fully yet and a hit or take can potentially aggravate it. Risk is he friendly finish the game or plays safe making him less of a running threat in an effort to avoid the big hit.
Packers weakness is sound the run and bears ran all over them first matchup but not Fields. That game was really on the year before the running switch was flipped but he had 70 yards passing and 20 rushing. His ceiling is through the roof as we have seen but his floor is insanely low this week.

So do you start him in what is likely a pivotal game this late in fantasy season? Chances are if you clinched aspot in playoffs you had a better option since week 1 any way.
But for those of us with records around.500 give it take a game that can't afford to lose.

Waist way to a loss is when your player gets pulled early in a game due to injury. Do you start him? Bench for your other option like T Law, Dak,Geno,Goff Watson etc... For their safer floor?

Love to hear what you are going to do and where you stand in your leagues

Most of us who own him likely have another option. Prior to his injury he was on fire and a must start.
We kind of expected he would miss this week given his bye next week to get 2 more weeks to fully heal.
Well he is off the injury report and sounds like he is starting.
Bears Packers is like their own mini super bowl.
Hurts gagged them on the ground and Fields has been the better runner this year albeit with a worse line and fewer weapons now that Mooney is out especially.

This is an injury to his non throwing shoulder but is not healed fully yet and a hit or take can potentially aggravate it. Risk is he friendly finish the game or plays safe making him less of a running threat in an effort to avoid the big hit.
Packers weakness is sound the run and bears ran all over them first matchup but not Fields. That game was really on the year before the running switch was flipped but he had 70 yards passing and 20 rushing. His ceiling is through the roof as we have seen but his floor is insanely low this week.

So do you start him in what is likely a pivotal game this late in fantasy season? Chances are if you clinched aspot in playoffs you had a better option since week 1 any way.
But for those of us with records around.500 give it take a game that can't afford to lose.

Waist way to a loss is when your player gets pulled early in a game due to injury. Do you start him? Bench for your other option like T Law, Dak,Geno,Goff Watson etc... For their safer floor?

Love to hear what you are going to do and where you stand in your leagues
I don't feel like his floor is that low. He wasn't scrambling as much early on on the season, he just kind of figured that out a few weeks later. I feel like 60 yards and a TD on the ground is almost a given. Add, 100 yards in the air and a TD with possibly a pick. That's where I think his floor is, 15-16 pts with a ceiling of 25++.

I am rolling with him in 2 of 3 semi final matchups today. Playing over T Law and D jones in 2 leagues, sitting for T Law in another(Kirk stack).

Firing up Fields in a super flex as my other option is Rodgers with same injury concerns but lower ceiling. I would think your starting him if you are needing a high ceiling swinging for the fence play and sitting him if you have another high floor option and you need to play it safe.

Floor low due to reinjury risk and possibly running more safely to protect shoulder.
The team doesn't seem too concerned. He is completely off the injury report and fully practiced and he finished the game when he got injured.

Seems to be overthinking things.

my 2 cents.
With Mixon likely out, I have to swing for the fences and am going with Fields over Lawrence now. I am one of those .500 teams that must win this week to stand a chance of making the playoffs.

Curious where everyone is drawing the line on sit or start Fields.

So let's play a game. I'll start.

Player - Sit or Start over Fields

1. J. Hurts - Start over Fields
2. J. Burrow - Start over Fields
3. P. Mahommes - Start over Fields
4. J. Hebert - Start over Fields
5. Tua - Start over Fields (but it's here I start to question. SF D, o line injuries, weather could be issues)
6. L. Jackson - Start over Fields (but it's damn close against DEN pass D. Think he's playing like crap too).
7. Dak - SIT over Fields. Indy could slow them down in redzone. Zeke / Pollard could run it in anyways.
8. T. Brady - Definite SIT for Fields against NO D that owns him.
9. D. Watson - SIT for Fields. Who knows what he does not playing in months. Could be run Chubb run.
10. T. Lawrence - SIT for Fields. Don't trust these two teams to follow any projections despite what should be shootout.
11. Geno -- And this is where I am...right now have as SIT for Fields, but as a favorite I'm tempted to go for floor.

Unless I hear some nonsense of "being careful with him" I think I'm rolling with Fields over Geno.

5. Tua - Start over Fields (but it's here I start to question. SF D, o line injuries, weather could be issues)
6. L. Jackson - Start over Fields (but it's damn close against DEN pass D. Think he's playing like crap too).
7. Dak - SIT over Fields. Indy could slow them down in redzone. Zeke / Pollard could run it in anyways.
9. D. Watson - SIT for Fields. Who knows what he does not playing in months. Could be run Chubb run.
10. T. Lawrence - SIT for Fields. Don't trust these two teams to follow any projections despite what should be shootout.
11. Geno -- And this is where I am...right now have as SIT for Fields, but as a favorite I'm tempted to go for floor.

Unless I hear some nonsense of "being careful with him" I think I'm rolling with Fields over Geno.
You're spot on it.

Two leagues I own Fields.
League 1 - Fields or Watson (Watson was supposed to fill in week 14 bye) I am torn here. Mooney out is big for the passing game.
League 2 - Watson or Tua (for all the reasons you mentioned above). Likely play Tua to play through the SF D and put up decent numbers.

Geno vs. Fields - Geno safer play with identical projections. Fields getting pulled a possibility. Geno is no slouch lol.

Floor low due to reinjury risk and possibly running more safely to protect shoulder.
The team doesn't seem too concerned. He is completely off the injury report and fully practiced and he finished the game when he got injured.

my 2 cents.
With Mixon likely out, I have to swing for the fences and am going with Fields over Lawrence now. I am one of those .500 teams that must win this week to stand a chance of making the playoffs.
I am losing Mixon in 4 of my 5 semi finals today. Lawrence and Fields is a tough one for me. Lawrence seems to have a huge game lined up here.

Right about where you are, but I could see myself playing Fields over L Jackson. I also have T Lawrence a bit higher this week, above Watson, Brady, Dak and Geno.

my 2 cents.
I am losing Mixon in 4 of my 5 semi finals today. Lawrence and Fields is a tough one for me. Lawrence seems to have a huge game lined up here.

It is a tough decision and not enjoyable when the season is on the line. If Fields had Mooney it would be an easier decision.

I have Burrow so i guess I don't have to overthink this much

Users who are viewing this thread