What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Josh Allen, BUF (1 Viewer)

I wanted this guy everywhere this season............................. he seems to have it all, and a real desire to win.  He plays with a chip on his shoulder.

But, he's gotten terribly expensive.  He is going in RD3-RD4 most everywhere, and grabbing a QB that early in the formats I typically play isn't something I care for.

I wish the hype would die down, but I don't see it happening.   At this rate, I doubt I will own him anywhere in any league.

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken Dorsey, former UM QB, was promoted to passing game coordinator. He was also QB coach during Cam's best years in Carolina. Does he deserve any credit for Josh Allen's dramatic improvement the last 2 years?

NFL Network's Kim Jones reports there's "no current momentum" on a contract extension between the Bills and Josh Allen.

The Bills could break off talks if there's no progress before August 15, according to Jones, with the sides potentially waiting until next offseason. Buffalo exercised Allen's fifth-year option in May, keeping him under team control through 2022. The Bills likely want to see the Baker Mayfield and Lamar Jackson deals before signing Allen, who's coming off a career year. The Cowboys' Dak Prescott extension sets up Allen to land $100 million guaranteed on his second contract.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Jul 31, 2021, 11:46 AM ET

Bills signed QB Josh Allen to a six-year, $258 million extension.

The deal, which includes $150 million guaranteed, shakes out to $43 million annually, landing in between Patrick Mahomes' ($45 million per year) and Dak Prescott's ($40 million) recent agreements. 25-year-old Allen is now tied to Buffalo's organization through the 2028 season, resetting the market just in time for Lamar Jackson and Baker Mayfield to negotiate their upcoming extensions. It's a reward for both Allen and the front office as all were responsible for buying in on his rookie deal, leading to last year's career-highs in passing yards (4,544) and touchdowns (37). Allen is expected to continue surging as a perennial top-five quarterback for fantasy this year (and those to come). 

... See More

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Aug 6, 2021, 1:16 PM ET

Josh Allen completed just 30-of-51 passes for 270 yards and one touchdown in the Bills' 23-16, Week 1 loss to the Steelers.

He rushed nine times for 44 scoreless yards. Many in the fantasy community underestimated the Steelers' defense ahead of this one, keying on their shaky cornerback group, but the pass rush absolutely tormented the Buffalo offensive line and forced Allen into plenty of hurried throws. They also went for it on fourth down a few times only to be stopped. Allen's lone touchdown was a three-yard touchdown. Allen targeted Stefon Diggs and Cole Beasley 27 times in this one, but it produced just 129 scoreless yards. Allen will look to rebound next week at Miami.

I will admit that I avoided Allen this year because of his high ADP (I rarely grab one of the top QB's anyway unless it's a Mahomes or Brady), but also because I don't think he will repeat last year's gaudy numbers.  His decision making today has to be a bit concerning.  It was like he was looking for the big play too much when there were little ones to be made, and then settled for little plays when bigger ones were needed (throwing a dump-off on 3rd and goal when down 10 late??).  Granted, the Steelers D is fantastic, and I am sure he will be feast on lesser defenses, but he just didn't look like the same guy today that he did last year, and I don't think it was as simple as, "He was playing Pittsburgh." 

I will admit that I avoided Allen this year because of his high ADP (I rarely grab one of the top QB's anyway unless it's a Mahomes or Brady), but also because I don't think he will repeat last year's gaudy numbers.  His decision making today has to be a bit concerning.  It was like he was looking for the big play too much when there were little ones to be made, and then settled for little plays when bigger ones were needed (throwing a dump-off on 3rd and goal when down 10 late??).  Granted, the Steelers D is fantastic, and I am sure he will be feast on lesser defenses, but he just didn't look like the same guy today that he did last year, and I don't think it was as simple as, "He was playing Pittsburgh." 
It's a good analysis particularly for start 1 QB leagues.

But if you value QBs, for whatever reason, there are maybe 4 other QBs who are capable of what Allen showed last year. Kyler, Lamar, Dak and Mahomes (and I would argue Mahomes doesn't have the dynamic running ability to keep up with the other three). Maybe Wilson? Herbert??? I guess. Rodgers? I'm selling.

I hate buying off a career year, it almost always leads the disappointment, but a young QB who has improved in every aspect of his game every year is a guy you need to take a shot on.

For me, Kyler is the only QB I would have considered above Allen.

Yes and no.

I think the real key is that you have to be able and willing to run the ball when that is what the defense is giving you.

The Bills believed that they had an advantage over Pittsburgh because Buffalo’s receivers were better than Pittsburgh’s depth at DB. So they went into the game planning to run 4 and 5 wide a ton and take advantage of the mismatch. Except Pittsburgh played in Dime almost the entire game and it turns out that covering 4 or 5 receivers with 6 average or slightly below average DBs is possible. And if you can get pressure on a QB 1/3 of the time rushing 4 guys against 5 linemen, it becomes even easier to defend 4 or 5 receivers with 6 guys.

If a team lines up in Dime continually and the interior of your like is better at run blocking than pass blocking, you simply have to run the ball way more in those situations instead of insisting on throwing it.

At the same time, if a team continually lines up in a typical 3-4 or 4-3 defense with just 4 DBs, then I’m fine throwing it 90% of the time if it’s working. I don’t think football is about balance at all, it’s about doing what works. If throwing the ball 100% of the time works and the opponent can’t or won’t adjust, why would you run? But if it isn’t working at all, then you’d better try something else. (Obviously if you do one or the other 100% of the time your success is going to start dropping because you are predictable)

Josh Allen has completed 33.3 percent of his pass attempts of 10-25 yards through Week 2. 

That marks a massive drop off from Allen's intermediate passing accuracy in 2020, a key to his development as a passer. Last year, Allen completed 62.5 percent of his attempts between 10 and 25 yards beyond the line of scrimmage -- a 12 percent improvement over his 2019 numbers. "This has been, by far, the most significant swing of Allen’s passing profile," said The Athletic's Joe Buscaglia. "While some throwaways need to be accounted for, this is still not what you want to see." Allen's adjusted completion rate, as measured by Pro Football Focus, has also dipped in the young 2021 season. His adjusted completion rate stands at 69.4 percent, about 10 percent lower than his 2020 rate. The results of his early-season passing regression are evident in his fantasy output. Allen is the QB19 through Week 2. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Sep 21, 2021, 9:20 AM ET

Josh Allen completed 32-of-43 passes for 358 yards, four touchdowns, and no picks, adding nine yards and a touchdown on four carries in the Bills' Week 3 win over Washington.

Allen cooked a usually strong Washington defense, notching five total touchdowns and easily surpassing the 300-yard mark. He hooked up with Emmanuel Sanders for a pair of scores and threw one each to Zack Moss and Dawson Knox. Allen rushed for a touchdown too, a welcome sight for fantasy managers after he failed to find paydirt on the ground in Buffalo's first two games. Allen remains a high-end QB1 moving forward.

Josh Allen completed 20-of-29 passes for 248 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception, adding six carries for 41 yards in Buffalo's 40-0 Week 4 win over the Texans.

It should have and could have been so much better. Allen and the Bills were stopped in the red zone multiple times by a stern Texans defense, and the inclement weather seemed to play a part in Allen whizzing an interception directly at Lonnie Johnson on his first dropback. Allen settled in and did the usual Allen things, impacting the game with his legs and slinging darts, but the end result is a bit of a disappointing point total in an obvious smash spot. Allen will remain a high-end QB1 for a Sunday-nighter against an extremely flammable Chiefs defense in Week 5.

Josh Allen completed 15-of-26 passes for 315 yards and three touchdowns, adding 59 yards and a touchdown on 11 carries in the Bills' Week 5 win over the Chiefs.

Allen was masterful, requiring only 15 completions to top the 300-yard mark. Buffalo looks like the new favorite in the AFC after upsetting Kansas City on the road, and Allen has inserted himself into the MVP conversation once again after finishing second to Aaron Rodgers last year. The Bills square off against the Titans' forgiving secondary in Week 6, making Allen one of the best quarterbacks in fantasy as usual.

Oct 11, 2021, 12:40 AM ET

Josh Allen completed 35-of-47 passes for 353 yards, three touchdowns, and one interception in the Bills' 34-31, Week 6 loss to the Titans Monday night.

He carried the ball a team-high nine times for 26 yards, but it was one yard too few, as Allen's last-minute 4th-and-1 keeper inside-the-five came up inches short as his feet slipped out from underneath him on the slick grass. The Bills were ultra aggressive, passing up the short field goal to tie the game at 34-34 and instead tried to go for the win. We like the call, as the Bills were moving the ball at will; it just didn't work. Allen was great on the night as a whole, tossing 14- and 29-yard touchdowns to Stefon Diggs and Cole Beasley in the first half before hitting TE Tommy Sweeney for a one-yarder in the third frame. Allen then caught a two-pointer from TE Dawson Knox on the next play. Allen has been incredible after a down Weeks 1 and 2. He has 14 touchdowns over his last four games and heads into the bye before a Week 8 home date with the lowly Dolphins.

Oct 18, 2021, 11:31 PM ET

Josh Allen completed 29-of-42 passes for 249 yards and two scores, rushing eight times for 55 yards and another touchdown in Buffalo's 26-11 Week 8 blowout against the Dolphins.

Allen completed 10-of-17 passes for only 80 yards in the first half as the Bills came out of their bye sluggish, totaling 122 yards in a 3-3 tie at the intermission. OC Brian Daboll reverted to quick passes in the second half, getting Cole Beasley (10/113) and Zack Moss (6/39) heavily involved underneath to help move the chains and tack on 23 points over the last two quarters. Allen also tied Cam Newton (28) for the most rushing touchdowns by a quarterback in their first 50 starts in NFL history, additionally finding Stefon Diggs (5/40/1) and Gabriel Davis (4/29/1) for two more scores through the air. Buffalo receives another juicy matchup in Week 9 against Jacksonville.

Oct 31, 2021, 4:47 PM ET

Joshua Patrick Allen completed 31-of-47 attempts for 264 yards, zero touchdowns and two interceptions in the Bills' 9-6, Week 9 loss to the Jaguars, adding 50 rushing yards and losing a fumble on five carries.

The Bills' quarterback was sacked, intercepted and had a fumble recovered by Josh Allen, a defensive lineman for the Jaguars. It was the first time in NFL history that a player with the same name sacked a quarterback, let alone recorded an interception and recovered fumble. The fourth year gunslinger never looked fully in sync, throwing two interceptions and losing a fumble after appearing to misread a zone read play.  The usually big-armed thrower mostly moved the ball on check-downs and scrambles, struggling to connect with Stefon Diggs for most of the game, including on the Bills' final 4th-and-16 attempt. Even after a disastrous outing against a poor Jaguars defense, JPA will be a high-end QB1 against the Josh Allen-less Jets in Week 10.

- NBC SportsEDGE

JOSH ALLEN QB, BUFFALO BILLS

The Athletic's Joe Buscaglia said the Bills offense is getting "the Chiefs treatment," with opposing defenses using the "Cover-2 shell" approach. 

In their Week 9 upset win over the Bills, Jacksonville's shoddy defense deployed a Cover-2 shell, "designed to take away long-ball opportunities by keeping each safety deep and anchored to one side of the field, giving ample support to the zone coverage of cornerbacks and linebackers in front of them." The Cover-2 shell forces otherwise high-flying offense to remain patient and take underneath throws rather than downfield shots, as the Bills did throughout 2020 and into 2021. And it can frustrate big-armed quarterbacks like Josh Allen (and Patrick Mahomes) accustomed to aggressive downfield passing. Against Jacksonville on Sunday, "the Bills had no answer other than to take what the Jaguars were ceding with underneath throws," Buscaglia said. Allen finished with 264 yards, no touchdowns, and two picks. If the Bills can't punish opponents with an effective rushing attack when defenses use the Cover-2 shell, their offense will be easily stopped, just as Kanas City's once-great offense has come to a screeching halt this season. Cole Beasley and other short-area pass catchers will retain their fantasy value for as long as Buffalo opponents deploy the Cover-2 shell. Stefon Diggs and Emmanuel Sanders are a different story. The team's Week 9 loss was "a massive signal to the rest of the league that the Bills are flawed offensively and there’s a formula to turn them from extraordinary to inefficient," Buscaglia said. "Until the Bills find those answers on offense, there could be more precarious weeks ahead."

RELATED: 

Cole Beasley

, Emmanuel Sanders

, Stefon Diggs

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Nov 8, 2021, 8:57 AM ET

JOSH ALLEN QB, BUFFALO BILLS

Bills coach Sean McDermott ensured that "adjustments are being made" to the team's offense.

“I thought we’d be further along," McDermott said on the team's non-existent rushing attack. "I thought that we would have progressed in that area. It is something that we need to do and do better if we want to be the team that we’re trying to become. Complementary football, you stay on one side of the ball, the run, stopping the run helps to stop the pass. It just all fits together and has to work together. You’ve got to play a certain way in this league. And and that’s how we have to play. I can promise you that adjustments are being made." Josh Allen's 319 rushing yards have accounted for 33% of the team’s total through eight games this year, most recently causing Jacksonville to sit back and rush four bodies since Buffalo didn't offer any threat of running against them. If there was ever a time to 'get right' and try something new, it would be against the Jets' hapless front-seven. 

RELATED: 

Zack Moss

, Devin Singletary

SOURCE: Syracuse.com

Nov 11, 2021, 11:17 AM ET

Josh Allen completed just 15-of-30 passes for 145 yards and one touchdown in the Bills' 14-10, Week 13 loss to the Patriots Monday night.

He took two sacks and led the team in rushing with his scoreless 6-39 line on the ground. With steady winds 25-35 MPH and 50-55 MPH gusts throughout the night, throwing the ball was not the move. New England called just three pass plays all night, but the Bills tried to stick to their identity. It just didn't work, as passes sailed and timing was way off. Allen should have had a 44-yard touchdown to Stefon Diggs, but Diggs had the deep ball bounce off his arms in the end zone. Allen's one touchdown pass was a 14-yarder to Gabriel Davis in the first quarter on a quick slant. Allen tried to create magic all night but was his typical erratic, all-over-the-place self. Allen and the Bills have a mouthwatering fantasy date with the Bucs next week in Tampa Bay. Giddy up.

Dec 6, 2021, 11:20 PM ET

Bills coach Sean McDermot suffered a foot sprain in Week 14 and is considered day-to-day.

Allen will have his practice reps limited this week but should be able to face the Panthers on Sunday. The Bills are clinging to the last playoff spot in the AFC so expect Allen to do everything in his power to play through the foot issue. Despite coming off a 100-yard rushing game, expect his rushing attempts to be severely limited in Week 15. He'll have to post his QB1 numbers through the air, but we fully anticipate him to do just that. 

SOURCE: Alaina Getzenberg

Dec 13, 2021, 4:23 PM ET

Josh Allen (foot) was limited in practice on Wednesday.

Allen suffered a foot sprain against the Buccaneers and, as expected, is seeing limited practice reps this week. Assuming he can continue to get in limited sessions, Allen will be on track to suit up for Week 15 against the Panthers. The Panthers defense has looked less imposing in recent weeks than it did to begin the season, and Allen should be considered an QB1 if he's able to play. He's likely to see fewer rushing attempts, but will remain a threat at the goal line.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Dec 15, 2021, 11:46 AM ET

Bills head coach Sean McDermott said Josh Allen (foot) "should be ready to go" for Week 15 against the Panthers. 

Allen got in a limited practice Thursday and McDermott said he should practice in full on Friday. That's good enough to pencil him in against Carolina after he gutted out the foot injury in last week's loss to the Bucs. Allen's upside might be limited by the foot injury and potential game script issues -- the Bills are 10.5-point favorites -- but Allen remains a must-start fantasy option in Week 15. 

SOURCE: Alaina Getzenberg on Twitter 

Dec 17, 2021, 10:38 AM ET

Josh Allen chart passes

Next Gen Stats@NextGenStats

Josh Allen completed +17.2% of his passes over expected, the highest CPOE in a playoff game over the last 5 seasons. Allen threw all 5 of his TD passes using play action, the most in any game in the NGS era. Allen on Play Action 9/12, 157 yds, 5 TD

-------------------------------------

Bruce Arians Burner@BruceArians1

This was definitely the most impressive performance of the year, especially against the number 1 defense

-------------------------------------

Next Gen Stats@NextGenStats

Josh Allen gained 43 rushing yards on 3 scrambles. Allen leads the NFL in rushing yards (1,764), touchdowns (15), EPA (+133.0) and first downs (97) on scramble runs since entering the league in 2018 (including playoffs).

Josh did a number of historic things last night. 

-highest completion percentage with more than 25 throws in a playoff game since Aaron Rodgers in 2010

-threw more TDs than incompletions

-first QB in NFL history (regular or postseason) since the Super Bowl era started to throw for over 80%, throw for over 300 yards, run for 50+, and have 5 TDs

-Allen now has 4 playoff games with 250+ passing yards and 50+ rushing yards. No other QB in league history has more than 2.

-Allen is the first QB in NFL history (regular season or playoffs) to lead his team to a perfect offensive game with zero punts, field goals, or turnovers.

Honestly, after finding out all week how much he sucks in the cold weather, I can’t wait to see how much better he’ll play next week in presumably warmer temperatures.

ETA one more: first QB in postseason history to throw 5+ TDs and zero INTs on 25 passes or less.

One more fun stat: Allen didn’t actually have a perfect passer rating last night. He had a rating of 157.6 and a perfect rating is 158.3. 

The reason is that his 1 yard TD pass actually DROPPED his passer rating because it dropped his average yards per pass despite it being a TD and the best possible outcome for the play. So keep that in mind in the future when looking at passer ratings. There are definitely some flaws there.

Love this guys passion. Physically he’s Lamar, Mahomes, and someone else I can’t put my finger on all rolled up into one. 

Fantasy wise there’s no one I’d rather have going forward at the QB position. 

Josh did a number of historic things last night. 

-highest completion percentage with more than 25 throws in a playoff game since Aaron Rodgers in 2010

-threw more TDs than incompletions

-first QB in NFL history (regular or postseason) since the Super Bowl era started to throw for over 80%, throw for over 300 yards, run for 50+, and have 5 TDs

-Allen now has 4 playoff games with 250+ passing yards and 50+ rushing yards. No other QB in league history has more than 2.

-Allen is the first QB in NFL history (regular season or playoffs) to lead his team to a perfect offensive game with zero punts, field goals, or turnovers.

Honestly, after finding out all week how much he sucks in the cold weather, I can’t wait to see how much better he’ll play next week in presumably warmer temperatures.

ETA one more: first QB in postseason history to throw 5+ TDs and zero INTs on 25 passes or less.
:lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread