What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Josh Allen, BUF (2 Viewers)

I feel mixed on this. In some ways it is unfair to make him the example but what will it cost him at most? Dropping 5 or 10 pick maybe? He's going to become a millionaire tonight. Sometimes famous people take the blunt of these blows and that is how non-famous people learn lessons. 
Agreed but my point is kids are using the word all the time, and so I'm told (not an expert on the matter) if it ends in an a and not an r it somehow has a different meaning to this younger generation. Just sayin that he shouldn't be punished for something many have and are doing. Even those of the particular race use it likes it's nothing.

Did you read the actual tweets? They didn't look racist to me. Maybe you're over 60 but you hear #####s 50 times a day if you listen to hip hop. This is PC garbage and cheap click bait by yahoo.
You're wrong, that's racist.

ETA: He was 16 but I suppose it's possible he didn't know any better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lolol America where fighting for equality is worse than being a racist. 

You're wrong, that's racist.

ETA: He was 16 but I suppose it's possible he didn't know any better.
Anyone who says they've never said it is lying. He didn't use it to degrade anyone, he was talking the way a lot of young people talk - like rappers. 

Lolol America where fighting for equality is worse than being a racist. 
His tweets weren't racist.  They were the socially-ignorant tweets of a kid who hadn't yet learned the in-group/out-group dynamics of who gets to use the N-word.  These things are more complicated now than they were when you and I were in high school three decades ago.

Mentioned this in the Buffalo thread but it's truly amazing to me how his agent/agency wasn't on top of his social media accounts the very first week they signed him.  Mind-blowing, in this day and age.  You can have an intern get that #### taken care of in a couple of hours.

I feel like as an agent, "has my white client said the n-word on social media" should probably be something to find out and erase before draft week.

This was already public information and any worthwhile GM would have baked it into their previous assessment.

Allen's draft stock should only fall if he handles the situation poorly now that it has re-surfaced.

Ironically, it might even have a mild positive impact if he demonstrates maturity and growth owning up to his past.

Allen just said in an interview that a lot of the tweets had been deleted long ago but someone had been holding on to the screenshots.

Allen just said in an interview that a lot of the tweets had been deleted long ago but someone had been holding on to the screenshots.
Classy move to save the screenshots and release them the day of the draft.

There's a big difference between using the N-word in a spiteful way to insult a black person, and using the N-word in a general sense like rappers do.  The latter is dumb (if you're a white person), but I wouldn't classify it as racist.
It's neither dumb nor racist.  It's just a kid being a kid.  Influenced by his peers and society.

This is a story to media types who are always looking for stories, and if they can spin them into something politically sensitive, so much the better.  To NFL coaches, players, and GM's, there's not a single head scratch worth of worry being spent over this trivia.

Ok we'll see in 3 hours. He's falling because of this but how far I'm not sure. I wouldn't be surprised if he fell out of the 1st round. Kap can't find a job for kneeling. 
Lol. The NFL doesn't care about the n word.

Agreed but my point is kids are using the word all the time, and so I'm told (not an expert on the matter) if it ends in an a and not an r it somehow has a different meaning to this younger generation. Just sayin that he shouldn't be punished for something many have and are doing. Even those of the particular race use it likes it's nothing.
You should teach your child that this is a big mistake and if he’s posting this online it could come back to haunt him. Would you punish your kid for trying cocaine? I mean lots of people do it and we shouldn’t punish people for doing something lots of people do. It’s a bad look for a white person.

Ilov80s said:
You should teach your child that this is a big mistake and if he’s posting this online it could come back to haunt him. Would you punish your kid for trying cocaine? I mean lots of people do it and we shouldn’t punish people for doing something lots of people do. It’s a bad look for a white person.
But it’s OK for a black person? Who said I or he was white? Part of the problem is his black friends using it and allowing him to also, either it’s offensive or it isn’t. I don’t believe it’s OK for one group and not another. Don’t tell me what to teach my child, he’s 24 & a step son like I mentioned to begin with. 

But it’s OK for a black person?  That isn't my decision.  Who said I or he was white? Almost everyone on this site is white, we have done polls before. Part of the problem is his black friends using it and allowing him to also, either it’s offensive or it isn’t. Just because his friends are doing it... I don’t believe it’s OK for one group and not another I believe in kindness and using that word (even if others do) is not kindness.  Don’t tell me what to teach my child, he’s 24 & a step son like I mentioned to begin with. Ok, just offering advice because schools and employers will often look at social media. I would hate to see those old posts come back to haunt him. 

Concept Coop said:
Anyone who says they've never said it is lying. He didn't use it to degrade anyone, he was talking the way a lot of young people talk - like rappers. 
This is pretty ignorant to say. Pure bullspit in fact. I'd suspect there are more people who have never said it than have. I have never used that word, ever, even as a kid. I'm also 99% confident my kid has never used the word. Not the kind of kid he is...rap music or not (/rolleyes).

And that's not a comment about Allen-it's purely a comment on your assertion, which reeks of some kind of rationalization.

This is pretty ignorant to say. Pure bullspit in fact. I'd suspect there are more people who have never said it than have. I have never used that word, ever, even as a kid. I'm also 99% confident my kid has never used the word. Not the kind of kid he is...rap music or not (/rolleyes).

And that's not a comment about Allen-it's purely a comment on your assertion, which reeks of some kind of rationalization.
I’m black. Please go on about rationalization.

And you should lighten up and try it. Quoting Chappelle and rapping along to Biggie is highly enjoyable. 

And you should lighten up and try it. Quoting Chappelle and rapping along to Biggie is highly enjoyable. 
I'll pass, thanks. Your race has nothing to do with my comment. Rationalization doesn't have to be internal, it can be external as well. I stand by what I said: to assert that anyone who says they've never used that particular word is lying is pure crap.

I'll leave it at that; wouldn't want anyone to accuse me of infecting the SP with PSF content. Have a good night, lot of draft to come.

use naga quite often when I'm listening to rap music.

Man, I'd hate the person I was at 16 or 17 to define my life.
Guy made a mistake and obviously both regrets and has changed.

As a Bills fan, I'm cautiously optimistic. It's not like McCarron is an entrenched veteran.
I realize the game has changed, but Kelly had a career completion % at 60% with only 4 years over the number.

I think there's a decent chance Allen has a Ryan Leaf career, but there's potential here for him to be very good.

I'll pass, thanks. Your race has nothing to do with my comment. Rationalization doesn't have to be internal, it can be external as well. I stand by what I said: to assert that anyone who says they've never used that particular word is lying is pure crap.

I'll leave it at that; wouldn't want anyone to accuse me of infecting the SP with PSF content. Have a good night, lot of draft to come.
We can disagree, but don’t assume motive.

Enjoy your evening as well.

Why don't you go up to group of black guys and use that word and then try to explain your motive. Let us know what happens.
Lol, you must live a pretty sheltered life in our modern PC world.  Blacks say this to each other all the time...which has been an issue by many in the racial tension situations the last few years.  Either the N word is acceptable or not...should not matter what color/culture the person is from if they say it.

FreeBaGeL said:
Right, the stuff is never really gone. We know this. 16 year old kids can be excused for not knowing this 5 years ago.

FreeBaGeL said:
There's a big difference between using the N-word in a spiteful way to insult a black person, and using the N-word in a general sense like rappers do.  The latter is dumb (if you're a white person), but I wouldn't classify it as racist.
It's dumb to tweet or post it regardless of e your race. But 16yo kids are sometimes dumb. 

On the scale of things we should care about, this barely registers. Unless he says stupid things again.

Lol, you must live a pretty sheltered life in our modern PC world.  Blacks say this to each other all the time...which has been an issue by many in the racial tension situations the last few years.  Either the N word is acceptable or not...should not matter what color/culture the person is from if they say it.
You're unbelievably clueless.

Lol it was proven true tonight. 
You really think Allen is a racist? Those tweets were dumb (but most 14-16 year old kids are in their way) but it wasn't like they were some vitrol filled hate speech. I agree it may take him a little bit of time to win over his black teammates at first but this should blow over pretty quickly.

Why do you feel that way?  I kind of thought Buffalo was a good fit for him.  Just not sure how good the coaching staff is at developing a project QB, which I feel Allen is.
Their offense consists of a RB who relies on a small RB who is completely dependent on quickness, will be 30 this year and has 5600 career touches and an arctic wasteland of pass catchers. 

Well I am expecting Allen to not really be ready to play until next year, so hopefully in this draft and through next year they can build this team up with more talent.  I believe they lost their top 3 OL this offseason which is also a problem.

Well I am expecting Allen to not really be ready to play until next year, so hopefully in this draft and through next year they can build this team up with more talent.  I believe they lost their top 3 OL this offseason which is also a problem.
They gave two seconds to move up to take him and traded more picks later to move up again to take a DE.

But it’s OK for a black person?  That isn't my decision.  Who said I or he was white? Almost everyone on this site is white, we have done polls before. Part of the problem is his black friends using it and allowing him to also, either it’s offensive or it isn’t. Just because his friends are doing it... I don’t believe it’s OK for one group and not another I believe in kindness and using that word (even if others do) is not kindness.  Don’t tell me what to teach my child, he’s 24 & a step son like I mentioned to begin with. Ok, just offering advice because schools and employers will often look at social media. I would hate to see those old posts come back to haunt him. 
That isn't my decision. -  If it's not your decision for a black person then it isn't your decision for my kid either. 

Almost everyone on this site is white, we have done polls before. -  Wow, and your telling me what's right and wrong? I'm native american you should not assume anything.

Just because his friends are doing it... - As I stated I am the only one who say's anything to him about it his friends don't care which makes him feel OK about it.

I believe in kindness and using that word (even if others do) is not kindness.  -  We can agree on this but doesn't change my mind on my statement.

Ok, just offering advice because schools and employers will often look at social media. I would hate to see those old posts come back to haunt him.  You take care of yours and I'll take care of mine. I told him this already.

That isn't my decision. -  If it's not your decision for a black person then it isn't your decision for my kid either. 

Almost everyone on this site is white, we have done polls before. -  Wow, and your telling me what's right and wrong? I'm native american you should not assume anything.

Just because his friends are doing it... - As I stated I am the only one who say's anything to him about it his friends don't care which makes him feel OK about it.

I believe in kindness and using that word (even if others do) is not kindness.  -  We can agree on this but doesn't change my mind on my statement.

Ok, just offering advice because schools and employers will often look at social media. I would hate to see those old posts come back to haunt him.  You take care of yours and I'll take care of mine. I told him this already.
This conversation has gone way off of football and into politics forum territory. No need to muck it up.  Enjoy the rest of draft I hope your NFL team and dynasty teams win big over the weekend. 

the N word is what many white kids call each other in school nowdays

I'm serious - its crazy ..... and the N word ending in "a" is acceptable, but if you say it ending in "er" that's not acceptable

http://www.tmz.com/2018/04/26/josh-allen-apologizes-for-racist-tweets/

the music listened to in today's rap world is violent and full of racism and derogatory to women .... young people love love love it ... that the words flow normally after listening to it all day every day isn't surprising

but says his teammates know he's not a racist person. 

They still have a 3rd, 4th, 2 5ths and a 6th. Probably not a ton of upside WRs, but plenty of time to grab some OL guys.
Who is Buffalo's 3rd QB when McCarron gets wrecked and Allen isn't ready to even step on the field? Peterman again? It's bizarre to me that Cleveland traded Buffalo for a stopgap starter then took a QB most ready to play right away while Buffalo traded away a stopgap starter who can overcome the flaws they have in order to take a QB who needs a year at least. Feel bad for McDermott if he's being pressured into these things, as I thought he had a chance to be a good coach. Hopefully he gets a chance at DC at least after these dumb moves take the franchise back 5 years.

This conversation has gone way off of football and into politics forum territory. No need to muck it up.  Enjoy the rest of draft I hope your NFL team and dynasty teams win big over the weekend. 
Fine by me but this was never about football or politics. You enjoy also.

the N word is what many white kids call each other in school nowdays

I'm serious - its crazy ..... and the N word ending in "a" is acceptable, but if you say it ending in "er" that's not acceptable

http://www.tmz.com/2018/04/26/josh-allen-apologizes-for-racist-tweets/

the music listened to in today's rap world is violent and full of racism and derogatory to women .... young people love love love it ... that the words flow normally after listening to it all day every day isn't surprising
Yeah, this simply isn't true. White kids definitely aren't calling each other that for the most part. Some dumb ones may, but they're the dumb ones.

No doubt hip-hop permeates the culture, but white kids aren't throwing that word around.

Source: have been working with middle school to high schoolers for over 10 years

Yeah, this simply isn't true. White kids definitely aren't calling each other that for the most part. Some dumb ones may, but they're the dumb ones.

No doubt hip-hop permeates the culture, but white kids aren't throwing that word around.

Source: have been working with middle school to high schoolers for over 10 years
it's 100% true

I've got kids in high school and college - I know how they talk and if you work with middle and high schoolers you are very out of touch with them

as to Fantasy Football the only people who care about this are the media

players don't care, teams don't care, fans don't care what a top 10 draft pick and QB  tweeted 6-7 years ago when he was a 14-15 year old kid

as to Fantasy Football the only people who care about this are the media

players don't care, teams don't care, fans don't care what a top 10 draft pick and QB  tweeted 6-7 years ago when he was a 14-15 year old kid
The whole incident will be the source of some lighthearted rookie hazing, and that'll likely be the end of it.  If they have anything resembling veteran leadership on that team, it could even be good for bonding.

Users who are viewing this thread