What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jared Goff, DET (1 Viewer)

@AdamSchefter

There is no deal “imminent” for Lions QB Jared Goff, despite the fact that WR Amon-Ra St. Brown and OT Penei Sewell now have landed new deals, per source.

The Lions and Goff have spoken about a new deal this off-season, but no deal is close at this time.

I guess that is what they call a trade working out for both teams as LAR got their title and the "forced to take on a bad contract Goff" has turned into a star into Detroit.

https://twitter.com/ChrisBurkeNFL
@ChrisBurkeNFL
·
3h

Tigers were down 5-3, crowd started a “Ja-red Goff” chant, Tigers immediately scored three to take the lead.

It's been exactly 4 months since the Rams game and the Jar-ed Goff chants still break out all over Michigan. NHL games, MLB, h.s. sports....probably the most loved quarterback I've seen in the 57 years I've been a fan.

They had a great FA period plugging holes, and then flooded the CB room with their first two picks. Couple projects in the middle rounds and two lineman late - one who might be a rotational DI, and a mauler of a G who take over when Zeitler walks.

Brad Holmes has done a great job constructing the roster. Still need a Robin to emerge opposite Batman (Hutch), but they've completely flipped the script of the defensive backfield. Only genuine question on the offensive side is if Jamo is ready for a starring role (obviously they feel he is since they didn't add anyone.) Kicker sucks but maybe they address that before TC (Jake Bates.)

Top 4 the last two seasons passing yards, passing TDs, TD/INT ratio, lowest sack %, 1st down %, success rate, et al. 22-8 since Halloween 2022, have not lost consecutive games during that period.

Dude earned that contract.

Jared Goff’s Extension Shows the Lions Finally Know What They’re Doing

Detroit has locked up three of its core players to nine-figure extensions this offseason, following a simple law of human dynamics that few teams actually practice.

There are teams that, when on the verge of Super Bowl contention, behave like the core of their roster is precious and familial and integral to the continued success of the operation. And then there are teams that get into the same position and begin to squeeze the help like a pack of headhunters from McKinsey.

The contract is a win for the Lions because they understand the law of good vibes. You pay your best players and you pay them without making them hang by a thread for months or years. You pay them before it gets aggravating or suspicious. You treat them like people who have done something for you. In turn, they tend to perform better. It’s a very simple law of human dynamics that, for some reason, few teams tend to practice with regularity.

This is what the Eagles did following their first Super Bowl win as a franchise. They rewarded cornerstone players with big deals and laid the foundation not only for the immediate future, but for a second iteration of the team that reached the Super Bowl a few years later under a different head coach. Say what you will about the Lions, but spending sprees like this are about more than just good business sense (and, indeed, signing both Penei Sewell and Amon-Ra St. Brown to contracts before the market was rocked by some generational talent is smart). It’s about a chain reaction of mutual respect and belief that travels to the very top, where someone has to write a check (and, believe me, there are owners out there who claim to be all about winning but won’t open their checkbooks for a sturdy backup QB).

Goff’s contract is a win because the Lions don’t seem preoccupied with looking like the smartest people in the room. They seem concerned with making sure everyone in the room wants to remain there.

It’s cliché to say the Lions are “all in” but not if you explain it properly. They are “all in” in the way good teams are “all in.” They’re paying their best players and not worrying about employing all of the too-smart tricks that get general managers back slaps at the next budget meeting. They are actually behaving in a manner that leads us to believe they want to win a Super Bowl. It sounds simple, but you’d be stunned how few teams can actually say that.

Lots of money tied up in that guy...
And what are the alternatives for them right now?
I'm not trying to be snippy, you bring up a good point/fact, just would like to see what the other options might be.
I think they might want to improve their back up 1st, Hooker is no threat to Goff.

And I'm going to steal this stat just like @Leroy Hoard did...
"In the last 2 years, in the 4th quarter and OT, Goff is #1 in QBR and passing yards. In addition, in the red zone, he has 18 TDs and no picks"
You want to ensure that you keep a guy like that at QB, if that means paying him market rate then you gotta do it, this close to making a Super Bowl

-I will say that Detroit is starting to look like a team that almost any decent QB could walk in and find success. But they would need to groom a quality QB prospect for at least a year.
And now they locked up $170M...yeah I see your point for sure.

I think those who felt that Goff was going to be paid accordingly may have been some of the homers who, unlike the rest of us, saw his entire body work. Which they then put into the proper perspective. That he didn't come in & raise the play of those around him. Just the opposite, his play improved when the supporting cast improved. Those of us in redraft or limited keeper leagues, Goff is an interesting backup or low QB1 to consider in round 9 or 10. If Hendon Hooker proves capable in the preseason I suppose the team will be entertaining offers. But the compensation they're offered won't likely help them now & could be a deal that's still there in March. If Hooker shines at all, he's a potential league winner.

I'm not a churner and I have read MoP's comment above. To be sure, a series of ifs. But if the ifs become an it, it is on, churn to burn! lol This organization is in a championship window, safe to reach a bit. In my leagues for DEF we got rid of the shutout bonus & added the return game. Top units provide owners with production comparable to a low QB1/QB2. They factor & Detroit's a target of mine.

The Cap only heads in one direction. From $177.2 million in 2018 to $255.4 million this year.

There are a lot of QBs behind Goff on the quarterback landscape yet to get their 9-figure bag (Purdy, Love, Lawrence, Tua.) One of those guys will top $60M.

In the past 12 months we've seen Hurts, Lamar, Herbert and Burrow join Josh in the $50m AAV club.

Watson's 100% GTD was and remains an aberration. Though it's hard to argue anyone mismanaged the QB position worse than the Broncos with Russ when you factor in the crippling combination of draft capital wasted on a waning talent. There are contenders though: the Giants have regretted the Danny Dimes deal almost before the ink was dry. The Jets and Falcons have old guys with massive deals coming off achilles injuries. The latter decided hedging their bets on a 24 year old 6th year senior was a better use of the 8th pick than giving Cousins weapons. At least the Jets built Rodgers an improved OL.

The Lions were not going to extend Goff with a Geno/Baker style 3 year deal. He is a far more accomplished quarterback than either of them.

Dak is in his final year, and that is going to be a very costly resign. Allen now ranks 9th in AAV and his backloaded deal (43.2 next year, $63.9M in 2026) will need to be reworked soon.

Y'all who want to criticize the Goff deal, how about we check in two years from now and see where it ranks and judge whether the investment was worth it?

Doubt Jared will be in the top 8 by then.

stole some of that from The Athletic article that came out this morning:

Can Jordan Love, Dak Prescott earn $60M a year? Next wave of QB deals set to push market limits

Jeff Howe
May 14, 2024

I think those who felt that Goff was going to be paid accordingly may have been some of the homers who, unlike the rest of us, saw his entire body work. Which they then put into the proper perspective. That he didn't come in & raise the play of those around him. Just the opposite, his play improved when the supporting cast improved. Those of us in redraft or limited keeper leagues, Goff is an interesting backup or low QB1 to consider in round 9 or 10. If Hendon Hooker proves capable in the preseason I suppose the team will be entertaining offers. But the compensation they're offered won't likely help them now & could be a deal that's still there in March. If Hooker shines at all, he's a potential league winner.

I'm not a churner and I have read MoP's comment above. To be sure, a series of ifs. But if the ifs become an it, it is on, churn to burn! lol This organization is in a championship window, safe to reach a bit. In my leagues for DEF we got rid of the shutout bonus & added the return game. Top units provide owners with production comparable to a low QB1/QB2. They factor & Detroit's a target of mine.
Appreciate it and let me expand on my larger point...had the Lions some how drafted Michael Penix and didn't have to rise up much in the Draft or somehow he just fell to them and they opted to take him, I would like Penix chances a lot better in a couple years to take over for an established QB so the team can try and have a window where they can load up.

-But that's not what the Lions have built and with the rising Cap expected to be somewhere around $280M+ next year, $300M in '26, no reason not to extend Goff and give the Lions a golden opportunity over the next couple years to ride this momentum to a Title.

I have Philly vs Detroit in the NFCC right now with San Fran being the spoiler for 1 of them to get there.
I hold the Lions in the highest regard and respect Dan Campbell A LOT!

2023 was one of the all time great Draft classes for the Lions, that couldn't happen again this year although I like what they selected

I’m sorry, but that contract is ridiculous, especially for a one-dimensional QB who doesn’t throw a good deep ball. You have to be more fiscally responsible than that.
Giving Jared Goff a 4-year extension for that kind of money is suicide. They couldn’t of handled it any worse, IMO.

Just when it looked like they were turning the corner, too.

Last edited:
"...I have Philly vs Detroit in the NFCC right now with San Fran being the spoiler for 1 of them to get there. I hold the Lions in the highest regard and respect Dan Campbell A LOT! 2023 was one of the all time great Draft classes for the Lions, that couldn't happen again this year although I like what they selected."
I like 'em too, barring injury I think they're gonna go! Down the stretch Dan Campbell said that Goff was a better QB than he was with LA. I have them hosting Atlanta in the NFL title game. Washington & Chicago are dark horse teams I think are worth investing in. Right or wrong, love teams that add!

I’m sorry, but that contract is ridiculous, especially for a one-dimensional QB who doesn’t throw a good deep ball. You have to be more fiscally responsible than that. Giving Jared Goff a 4-year extension for that kind of money is suicide. They couldn’t have handled it any worse. Just when it looked like they were turning the corner, too.
When he came out & in his early years, accordingly, at times he had some happy feet. Which led to some balls getting away from him. In that game vs LA Rams, a couple of early throws were to Josh Reynolds. Both were high, but he has a wide catch radius. Was that a plan or were those early targets to him just a coincidence? Now, the organization was in no position to toy with their starting QB. To Bobby's point, he got the going rate.

Y'all who want to criticize the Goff deal, how about we check in two years from now and see where it ranks and judge whether the investment was worth it?
:goodposting:
I don't think many are criticizing it
I figure Tua is going to be something in the neighborhood of this if not a little more.
I like a 4 year deal vs 5+
I'll criticize it. One of the advantages the Lions had was not having a super expensive QB. I'm not saying this is Daniel Jones or anything like that, but I do wonder if the Ravens paying Flacco after his career year.

I think Tua>Goff.

The QB market has a 50 million group of 5 guys, than a drop to 8 40 million guys, then 3 30 million guys, then its all rookie deals, backups, or Geno Smith. Its kinda wild.

One of the advantages the Lions had was not having a super expensive QB.
No they didn't. Goff had the 3rd highest cap hit in the NFL last year and 4th highest in 2022.
It appears I was looking at average salary per year, where Goff was 15th, which is more in line with his quality of play. Still not a fan of the new deal, but they've been overcoming it so far, I guess.

I do have some concern that 2023 was the best shot the Lions are gonna have, so big money for Goff may be a bigger issue going forward.

I’m sorry, but that contract is ridiculous, especially for a one-dimensional QB who doesn’t throw a good deep ball. You have to be more fiscally responsible than that.
Giving Jared Goff a 4-year extension for that kind of money is suicide. They couldn’t of handled it any worse.

Goff was the 7th most accurate deep ball passer in the league last year. Goff was 7th in yards per attempt.

Why would anyone be critical of Goff at this point? Forget his time in LA, he has proven to be a VERY good, very smart QB. He absolutely earned that contract.

Goff played great the last two years and was stellar in all 3 playoff games.

It's almost like fans of other teams are tripping bc of their own franchises missteps or their own QBs inability to win playoff games. They're streets behind because they cannot fathom Detroit having one the top 4 rosters in the NFL, or that Goff is a Top 6 QB by any qualitative or quantitative measure.

Sad!

contract details per @AlbertBreer
  • $73 million dollar signing bonus
  • $125 million over the first two years
  • $165 million over the first three years
  • $57 million in 2028 (option year)
  • MASSIVE signing bonus. $73 million, which is the biggest in NFL history

Jared Goff is the best good for him story of the off-season. It’s just a tremendous redemption arc. How can you not want to root for him?

I wish I had your formatting skills, but Ryan Tannehill's two seasons with the Titans before he signed the deal were pretty good too.

2019 (12 games): 2742yds, 22 TD, 6 INT, 9.6ypa, 70% completion, 117.5 rating
2020: 3819yds, 33 TD, 7 INT, 65% completion, 106.5 rating

I wish I had your formatting skills, but Ryan Tannehill's two seasons with the Titans before he signed the deal were pretty good too.

2019 (12 games): 2742yds, 22 TD, 6 INT, 9.6ypa, 70% completion, 117.5 rating
2020: 3819yds, 33 TD, 7 INT, 65% completion, 106.5 rating

Quarterbacks who have taken two teams to the conference championship game:
  • Tom Brady
  • Brett Favre
  • Jared Goff
  • Peyton Manning
  • Kurt Warner
Tannehill has won 2 playoff games, Goff 5 (& played all but 15 snaps in a 6th playoff game he won.)

in terms of Pro Bowls, it's Ryan 1 Jared 3

(Goff declined a 4th appearance last season)

Top 100:
Goff #38, #32, #66 (2024 will be his 4th time)
Tannehill #83, #66

Goff has 4 seasons with an AV above 15, Tannehill once

Goff is the first and only quarterback in NFL history to reach 30K yards with less than 100 interceptions (82, 2.0% INT)

It's an absurd and disrespectful comp.

People forget, Jared Goff is only:
  • 2 years and 103 days older than Lamar Jackson
  • 2 years and 75 days older than Joe Burrow
  • 1 year and 220 days older than Josh Allen

• Dak Prescott is 1 year and 77 days older than Jared Goff and is about to get $60M+ for going 2-5 in the playoffs. #WeAreGoingAll-inOn2024

Giving Jared Goff a 4-year extension for that kind of money is suicide. They couldn’t of handled it any worse.

Goff was the 7th most accurate deep ball passer in the league last year. Goff was 7th in yards per attempt.
Goff also led the league in completions over 20 yards.

In the last 2 years he has thrown for 9000 yards, 59 TDs and 19 interceptions. In addition, as already mentioned, in the 4th quarter and overtime, Goff is #1 in the NFL in QBR and passing yards. He also had 18 red zone TDs and 0 interceptions.

I really don't know what more Goff can do. His performance speaks for itself. In addition, his leadership skills, toughness, and resilience are off the charts.

Oh yeah, I forgot that Goff isn't very mobile so some people think he sucks. That's laughable.

contract details per @AlbertBreer
  • $73 million dollar signing bonus
  • $125 million over the first two years
  • $165 million over the first three years
  • $57 million in 2028 (option year)
  • MASSIVE signing bonus. $73 million, which is the biggest in NFL history

still won't see all the details for another day or two, but I think this is about right:
  • front loaded - $73M due at signing, will be spread over 5 years (max allowed by CBA) beginning this year. 73/5 = $14.6M per year prorated signing bonus
  • 2024 Cap Hit was $32.3M, that will go up to $46.9M
  • Breer says 125 after two years so (125-73) = 52M / 26M Salary + roster bonus + any other bonuses (*probably will be $5M annual roster bonus)
  • 2025 Cap Hit = $40.6M
  • 2026 Cap Hit = $40.6M
  • Breer says 165 after two years so (165-73-52) = 40M Salary + roster bonus + any other bonuses Y3
  • 2027 Cap Hit = $54.6M (simple restructure is always on the table - see next post)
  • 2028 is an option year with no GTD, 57-14.6 = $43.4M Salary + roster bonus + any other bonuses Y4
  • 2028 Cap Hit = $57M (remember, it's a club option year)
  • 2029 - Out of contract but if they add a Void Year they could keep 2024 at $32.3M and account for the last $14.6M here for Cap purposes
The real contract is 3yr 165M - by front loading it with the big cash outlay now, they're keeping the Cap Hit at a reasonable number for the next 3 years.

Last edited:
As for 2027, a simple restructure takes the base down to $1.35M, Goff gets $38.65M immediately which gets spread out over 3 years. Reduces the 2027 cap hit to $27.5M just by kicking the can down the road (which is a club choice thing, you don't need the players permission bc they get all the money immediately.)

Bottom line is they're going to have ample flexibility over the next 4 seasons.

• Dak Prescott is 1 year and 77 days older than Jared Goff and is about to get $60M+ for going 2-5 in the playoffs. #WeAreGoingAll-inOn2024
I hope you are wrong about Dak getting $60M

It might not be with Dallas but if he has a good season, it’s a lock imo.

It might not be with Dallas but if he has a good season, it’s a lock imo.
Probably with the Raiders :unsure:

the Goff hate and comparisons are amazing in here, gb the shark pool :lmao:

"... Oh yeah, I forgot that Goff isn't very mobile so some people think he sucks. That's laughable."
Funny stuff, there's lots of that. More broadly speaking, the part I like is Goff's impressive numbers in the 4th qtr. That's gotta means something, right? You needn't bother to tell us why, it's self-explanatory. Thing is, you don't have to look very far to find another very popular QB from MI. His name is JJ, except, even though his body of work in the 2nd half of games is comparatively negligible, it doesn't mean jack. Which is it? How can this speak to the level of play for one QB & the lack there of meaningless for another?

I think the counter is more or less, should jared Goff be the 2nd highest paid QB? Can he time up the necessary placement under duress, can he extend plays? Or, is he more of a system guy? It's all a matter of circumstance. This team is in a championship window & most will agree that, at the very least, he's done enough for them to stay the course. But that's understating it, they like him a lot. Perhaps worth considering is whether they had a sense of it at about this time last year? Couldn't they have infused a little short term confidence in him then? They've said it, Jared's been our guy the whole way. Oh okay, then why didn't you resign him when it was more favorable to do so? Perhaps it wouldn't have made much difference?

This below is a local source, in part, citing ESPN, dated mid-December of last year:

"As we know, Jared Goff struggles under pressure more than a normal quarterback. But, lately, he’s been a complete disaster. Here’s a snippet from an article from ESPN’s Bill Barnwell: "He has never been a great quarterback under pressure, but before the bye, he ranked 16th in QBR when opposing teams’ pass rushes got in his face. That’s not ideal, but it’s not going to hold back Detroit. Since the bye, however, Goff’s QBR under pressure is 0.6. That’s less than one out of 100. It’s the worst mark in football. He has posted a minus-25.7% CPOE under pressure over that stretch, gone 10-of-36 for 60 yards, and taken 10 sacks."" https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023/12/12/23998186/detroit-lions-3-biggest-issues-are-they-fixable

So, this was something when he came out, something with the Rams, his coach lost confidence & proven the case again in Detroit. Obviously they righted the ship & finished strong. Would seem, regardless of what they just paid him, they've got to keep him out of these situations.

More broadly speaking, the part I like is Goff's impressive numbers in the 4th qtr. That's gotta means something, right? You needn't bother to tell us why, it's self-explanatory. Thing is, you don't have to look very far to find another very popular QB from MI. His name is JJ, except, even though his body of work in the 2nd half of games is comparatively negligible, it doesn't mean jack. Which is it?
You are comparing a long time NFL vet with a college player with a limited resume, apples and oranges.

Goff is the first and only quarterback in NFL history to reach 30K yards with less than 100 interceptions (82, 2.0% INT)
That stat isn't even close to accurate. A quick list of QBs who have done it includes:

Aaron Rodgers, In fact Rodgers got to 50K yards with less than 100 INTs.
Joe Montana
Steve Young
Matt Ryan
Russell Wilson, who hit 40K yards with under 100 INTs
Donovan McNabb
Alex Smith, the closest comp in my opinion
Kirk Cousins
Derek Carr
and the aforementioned Ryan Tannehill

Dak Prescott, Patrick Mahomes will both do it this year too.

ETA: Tom Brady, and Philip Rivers did it too.

Last edited:
You are comparing a long time NFL vet with a college player with a limited resume, apples and oranges.
I wasn't comparing players, I pointed out a situational experience (4th qtr production) & deemed an important distinction for an NFL QB, is considered irrelevant for a College QB who will soon be playing in the NFL.

Goff is the first and only quarterback in [the] NFL history to reach with 30K yards with less than 100 interceptions (82, 2.0% INT)
That stat isn't even close to accurate. A quick list of QBs who have done it includes:

Aaron Rodgers, In fact Rodgers got to 50K yards with less than 100 INTs.
Joe Montana
Steve Young
Matt Ryan
Russell Wilson, who hit 40K yards with under 100 INTs
Donovan McNabb
Alex Smith, the closest comp in my opinion
Kirk Cousins
Derek Carr
and the aforementioned Ryan Tannehill

Dak Prescott, Patrick Mahomes will both do it this year too.

ETA: Tom Brady, and Philip Rivers did it too.

FYP

EDIT

Was attempting to be humorous here, but just in case anyone comes along later....

I goofed. Pulled Tweet without verifying the information. My bad, need to do better when I am providing information to y'all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread