What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jared Goff, DET (1 Viewer)

I’ll address everyone at once, LOL.

I’m not sure why Lions fans are so touchy about Goff, but let me tell you how this is going to go…he’s going to get replaced (probably by ‘25). If not, that’s on Holmes. Goff simply doesn’t have the required skill set to take a team like yours all the way. I don’t need to be from Detroit to figure that out. End of story.

The good news is you’re in a window, but have the wrong QB. It happens. What Holmes does to rectify it will determine if you have a legit shot at a title.

You guys had a good season. (y)

I’m not sure why Lions fans are so touchy about Goff, but let me tell you how this is going to go…he’s going to get replaced (probably by ‘25). If not, that’s on Holmes. Goff simply doesn’t have the required skill set to take a team like yours all the way. I don’t need to be from Detroit to figure that out. End of story.

The good news is you’re in a window, but have the wrong QB. It happens. What Holmes does to rectify it will determine if you have a legit shot at a title.

Why are you so invested talking about Goff when your team is in the same boat?

You said you are a Cowboy fan. That means you have your own QB issues as Prescott chokes in every big game. Dak has one year left on his deal and needs to be replaced. Cowboys are in the window too but have the wrong QB as we have seen last 5 playoff games they have been in. What Jerry does to rectify the problem will decide what Dallas does in search of a title.

Had? Some of us teams with inferior QBs are still playing.

You said you are a Cowboy fan. That means you have your own QB issues as Prescott chokes in every big game. Dak has one year left on his deal and needs to be replaced. Cowboys are in the window too but have the wrong QB as we have seen last 5 playoff games they have been in. What Jerry does to rectify the problem will decide what Dallas does in search of a title.
This is the Jared Goff thread, not the Lions thread. I talk about a bunch of players.

Dak has a different issue than Goff. Dak has the type of raw skills needed in today’s NFL, but at some point, you have to get it done. We need to take a look at options, as well, but we also have more talent on D than Detroit does, especially with Diggs back. Two different teams with different problems.

Rams had 14 straight losing seasons and missed the playoffs 13 consecutive years before Goff became the full time starter.

Lions had a losing record 17 of 21 seasons - including seven seasons with double digit losses.

The last two seasons are the most in any 2 year stretch in the Lions (woeful) 90 year history.

12 wins ties the franchise record, 13 (including playoffs) ties the franchise record.

The Lions are not moving on from Jared Goff. Not should they. He’s earned an extension, full stop.

This is the Jared Goff thread, not the Lions thread. I talk about a bunch of players.

Dak has a different issue than Goff. Dak has the type of raw skills needed in today’s NFL, but at some point, you have to get it done. We need to take a look at options, as well, but we also have more talent on D than Detroit does, especially with Diggs back. Two different teams with different problems.

Decision making is a skill. He's bad at it. Especially when the pressure is ramped up.

He's also incapable of leading a team back from a deficit. He usually augments the problem with turnovers.

He's not a young guy anymore. The book is out on him. He's had different head coaches and offensive coordinators. Nothing has corrected his deficiencies. They are what they are. He is what he is

Enjoy another year of Dak and Mike. Lol.

Rams had 14 straight losing seasons and missed the playoffs 13 consecutive years before Goff became the full time starter.

Lions had a losing record 17 of 21 seasons - including seven seasons with double digit losses.

The last two seasons are the most in any 2 year stretch in the Lions (woeful) 90 year history.

12 wins ties the franchise record, 13 (including playoffs) ties the franchise record.

The Lions are not moving on from Jared Goff. Not should they. He’s earned an extension, full

Decision making is a skill. He's bad at it. Especially when the pressure is ramped up.

He's also incapable of leading a team back from a deficit. He usually augments the problem with turnovers.

He's not a young guy anymore. The book is out on him. He's had different head coaches and offensive coordinators. Nothing has corrected his deficiencies. They are what they are. He is what he is

Dak has his own issues, but there's a pretty big difference in the two QBs.

Goff is a decent pocket passer who lacks critical skills needed to thrive enough to help a team win a title in today's NFL, especially without a strong D backing him. In other words, the potential isn't even there like it is with Dak. That will never change. Goff is the same guy who got booted from his last team so they could pay an arm & a leg for a QB who could get it done (& did). Goff isn't any better than he was then...he just happens to have better players around him on offense.

I'll be absolutely shocked if Goff gets a big-money extension (& even more so if he's the QB in '25), but if that ends up being the case, this Cowboys fan will approve. They need more help on D. Detroit fans should know better than me what Holmes is likely to do, though, so I'll leave the possibility open.

Both teams have a lot of potential. It'll be interesting to see what happens this offseason.

Last edited:
Goff simply doesn’t have the required skill set to take a team like yours all the way. I don’t need to be from Detroit to figure that out.
Goff is more of a system guy or game manager & less so a QB who can extend plays, make off-platform throws or flatten the trajectory of deeper passes. But from what I've read he's definitely further along in reading defenses. You'll recall back during the week of the SB a lot was being made of the Rams tendency of rushing to the LOS so that McVay could get a better look at the defense before his mic cut out. When New England disguised their pre-snap looks it forced Goff into making post-snap reads or so the story goes. Less than a year later McVay had lost all confidence in Goff & starts a John Wolford ahead of him.

Then the off-season, enter Campbell & for whatever reason, Stafford wanted out. The deal the teams made is now presented like they traded QBs. I don't recall it that way, it was Stafford for all that boot & Detroit had to take Goff & his contract... Accordingly his cap hit is $32M next year, that's below market value? I understand why they want him back but I don't get the undervalued part. Paying a system guy like he's a difference maker due to the circumstance they find themselves in is bad management. I think Ben Johnson deserves more credit here. Win or lose, let's say the season ends & they have a very good QB with a favorable contract. I mean, I'm shipping this guy to Atlanta or someplace asap! Is there a difference-maker in this year's draft? if so & trading Goff for a top-10 pick is possible, that's a move I'd make.

Plays to me, that gave pause:

1.) The offense is rolling & off run action is a bootleg to the right. Goff's initial read isn't there & he side steps Donald momentarily, Jones is there too. Using both hands Goff sort of shot-puts the ball backwards toward the TE. People, that's a live ball bouncing around.
2.) Later, Michael Hoecht gets around the LT, extends fully, managing to get just a hand onto Goff's underarm as he's throwing. Goff loses his grip on the ball just a tick before he would've otherwise released it.
3.) Then, the TD to the back of the EZ, he's looking down the barrel of that thing the whole way, pats the ball, not once but twice, telegraphing his intent.
4.) Early 2nd qtr (?) Goff's throw to Reynolds is caught if Reynolds sees it sooner, but it isn't well placed. In shotgun formation we know when the ball's about to be snapped because both hands are extended out in front of him.
5.) The sack Goff took, he has Reynolds on the crosser & a lane to pass through. To me he goes down kinda easy. On their next possession he trips over the foot of an OL but has enough balance to attempt to get away but stumbles & falls down.
6.) Here, they're in a position to drain the clock & close this game out. A 3rd & 4 with 7:30 remaining. Goff looks down the middle of the field, then pivots right to throw to Reynolds. The placement is poor, overthrown.

Goff, off effective run action, time to throw, open rec'rs, he made some throws. The energy in that stadium was electric! It's going to be the same this week vs Tampa. Beating Detroit starts with forcing him to make big-time plays.

The Lions are not moving on from Jared Goff. Not should they. He’s earned an extension, full

Goff is a decent pocket passer who lacks critical skills needed to thrive enough to help a team win a title in today's NFL, especially without a strong D backing him. In other words, the potential isn't even there like it is with Dak. That will never change. Goff is the same guy who got booted from his last team so they could pay an arm & a leg for a QB who could get it done (& did). Goff isn't any better than he was then...he just happens to have better players around him on offense.

I'll be absolutely shocked if Goff gets a big-money extension (& even more so if he's the QB in '25), but if that ends up being the case, this Cowboys fan will approve. They need more help on D. Detroit fans should know better than me what Holmes is likely to do, though, so I'll leave the possibility open.

Both teams have a lot of potential. It'll be interesting to see what happens this offseason.

Ah, so this is just 100% fishing. Can go ahead and ignore. Thanks for the plume.

Ah, so this is just 100% fishing. Can go ahead and ignore. Thanks for the plume.
LOL.

It’s not like the Goff conundrum is rocket science.

Goff simply doesn’t have the required skill set to take a team like yours all the way. I don’t need to be from Detroit to figure that out.
Goff is more of a system guy or game manager & less so a QB who can extend plays, make off-platform throws or flatten the trajectory of deeper passes. But from what I've read he's definitely further along in reading defenses. You'll recall back during the week of the SB a lot was being made of the Rams tendency of rushing to the LOS so that McVay could get a better look at the defense before his mic cut out. When New England disguised their pre-snap looks it forced Goff into making post-snap reads or so the story goes. Less than a year later McVay had lost all confidence in Goff & starts a John Wolford ahead of him.

Then the off-season, enter Campbell & for whatever reason, Stafford wanted out. The deal the teams made is now presented like they traded QBs. I don't recall it that way, it was Stafford for all that boot & Detroit had to take Goff & his contract... Accordingly his cap hit is $32M next year, that's below market value? I understand why they want him back but I don't get the undervalued part. Paying a system guy like he's a difference maker due to the circumstance they find themselves in is bad management. I think Ben Johnson deserves more credit here. Win or lose, let's say the season ends & they have a very good QB with a favorable contract. I mean, I'm shipping this guy to Atlanta or someplace asap! Is there a difference-maker in this year's draft? if so & trading Goff for a top-10 pick is possible, that's a move I'd make.

Plays to me, that gave pause:

1.) The offense is rolling & off run action is a bootleg to the right. Goff's initial read isn't there & he side steps Donald momentarily, Jones is there too. Using both hands Goff sort of shot-puts the ball backwards toward the TE. People, that's a live ball bouncing around.
2.) Later, Michael Hoecht gets around the LT, extends fully, managing to get just a hand onto Goff's underarm as he's throwing. Goff loses his grip on the ball just a tick before he would've otherwise released it.
3.) Then, the TD to the back of the EZ, he's looking down the barrel of that thing the whole way, pats the ball, not once but twice, telegraphing his intent.
4.) Early 2nd qtr (?) Goff's throw to Reynolds is caught if Reynolds sees it sooner, but it isn't well placed. In shotgun formation we know when the ball's about to be snapped because both hands are extended out in front of him.
5.) The sack Goff took, he has Reynolds on the crosser & a lane to pass through. To me he goes down kinda easy. On their next possession he trips over the foot of an OL but has enough balance to attempt to get away but stumbles & falls down.
6.) Here, they're in a position to drain the clock & close this game out. A 3rd & 4 with 7:30 remaining. Goff looks down the middle of the field, then pivots right to throw to Reynolds. The placement is poor, overthrown.

Goff, off effective run action, time to throw, open rec'rs, he made some throws. The energy in that stadium was electric! It's going to be the same this week vs Tampa. Beating Detroit starts with forcing him to make big-time plays.
The most logical post I’ve seen about Goff. He’s most definitely a game manager, but still missing critical skills. It’s extremely difficult to win a title in today’s NFL with a game manager, especially without a strong D, & extra hard the way the NFL is configured now with top teams like the Ravens, 9ers, Chiefs, & Bills not only having good QBs, but also outstanding Ds.

I’d be scared ****less as a Detroit fan about giving Goff a big-money extension.

Last edited:
Teams that need a QB 2024:

Steelers
Patriots
Broncos
Raiders
Vikings
Bears
Commanders
Giants
Falcons
Buccaneers
Saints?
Browns?

I love how folks here are like "<insert any QB who's not Mahomes> is a mid QB, he's a game manager! Lions should ditch him get someone whose play elevates the team to the Super Bowl, rather than just being along for the ride and coasting on the other strengths of the team."

It all comes across like a billionaire telling the struggling single mom working 3 jobs "well you should just be rich then." As if the Lions have numerous options to have an elite QB like Mahomes on their team. "Oh I meant to get an elite QB on the way home, but I lost track of time at work and by the time I got there the Elite QB store closed. So I needed to go to Dollar General instead and all they had in stock were the generic 'Goff' brand quarterback."

Quarterback A 2023 stats: 67.2% Comp for 4,183 yards. 27 TDs and 14 INTs. Sacked 27 times.
Quarterback B 2023 stats: 67.3% Comp for 4,575 yards. 30 TDs and 12 INTs. Sacked 30 times.

Kinda the same, right? Which one do you want?

Quarterback A 2023 stats: 67.2% Comp for 4,183 yards. 27 TDs and 14 INTs. Sacked 27 times.
Quarterback B 2023 stats: 67.3% Comp for 4,575 yards. 30 TDs and 12 INTs. Sacked 30 times.

Kinda the same, right? Which one do you want?

Let me add another wrinkle to it:

Quarterback X season stats: 63.7% completion rate for 4,575 yards, 30 TD, 12 INTS, Sacked 30 times. Lifetime 0.57 playoff record. Over 10 years, this QB brought his team to the Super Bowl once.

Quarterback Z season stats: 65.6% completion rate for 4,381 yards, 38 TD, 5 INT, Sacked 28 times. Lifetime 0.54 playoff record. Over 10 years, this QB hasn't brought his team to the Super Bowl.

Which of these QBs do you want?

Edit: Fixed a couple mistakes originally made in my post.

Last edited:

I love how folks here are like "<insert any QB who's not Mahomes> is a mid QB, he's a game manager! Lions should ditch him get someone whose play elevates the team to the Super Bowl, rather than just being along for the ride and coasting on the other strengths of the team."

It all comes across like a billionaire telling the struggling single mom working 3 jobs "well you should just be rich then." As if the Lions have numerous options to have an elite QB like Mahomes on their team. "Oh I meant to get an elite QB on the way home, but I lost track of time at work and by the time I got there the Elite QB store closed. So I needed to go to Dollar General instead and all they had in stock were the generic 'Goff' brand quarterback."
You're putting it in a nice little package with a bow on it. Unfortunately, roster composition is much more complicated than that & while it would probably be better if it weren't true, the QB position has become the elephant in the room. When you don't have the right QB & are also short on D, drafting late every round & compounding it by overpaying somebody at the most important position by far, thus, limiting cap space, you can become a dead team walking rather quickly. Windows can close just as fast as they open.

One of the most important jobs the GM has is paying players commensurate with their ability. It's one thing to keep Goff around when he's short on the skills needed in today's NFL, but it's quite another to overpay him. It'll be interesting to see if he gets an extension & how much it's worth.

Next Gen Stats
Jared Goff was blitzed on over half of his dropbacks (52.2%) in the Lions Divisional Round victory but was able to limit pressure with quick passing.

Goff averaged a 2.51-second time to throw & was pressured just 5 times against the blitz (20.8%).